WeeWillies's Mods - DialogueActions v3.00 (17 April 2014) (1 Viewer)

aztlan

Casual Client
Yes. In DA3.0, WW introduced these warnings as well as a cleanup routine to remove strands when FPS drops. As I understand it, it's not so much that DA3.0 is causing your FPS to drop, but rather telling you it is low and that it is cleaning things up to improve it. The reason for this is that many DA commands will fail to be recognized when FPS is low, so he wanted a cleaning routine to avoid this and keep dialogues and the game running smoothly. (WW believed causing the strands to display dynamically and react to the game's progression is very computationally intensive. Thus when FPS drops he tries to clean them up to free up computer resources and increase FPS. Of course it's possible you have other causes for your drop in FPS that he is not addressing with this method.)

To avoid this issue, I believe sby has some mods which allow you to control the number of strands of various substances. You might be able to use these mods to reduce the number, duration or complexity of strands if they are interfering with your FPS.

In short, DA3.0 is not causing your FPS to drop; it's just telling you that it has dropped and that it's trying to take some steps to correct the issue. Or at least that's my understanding.

Gameboy739

Vivacious Visitor
aztlan said:
Yes. In DA3.0, WW introduced these warnings as well as a cleanup routine to remove strands when FPS drops. As I understand it, it's not so much that DA3.0 is causing your FPS to drop, but rather telling you it is low and that it is cleaning things up to improve it. The reason for this is that many DA commands will fail to be recognized when FPS is low, so he wanted a cleaning routine to avoid this and keep dialogues and the game running smoothly. (WW believed causing the strands to display dynamically and react to the game's progression is very computationally intensive. Thus when FPS drops he tries to clean them up to free up computer resources and increase FPS. Of course it's possible you have other causes for your drop in FPS that he is not addressing with this method.)

To avoid this issue, I believe sby has some mods which allow you to control the number of strands of various substances. You might be able to use these mods to reduce the number, duration or complexity of strands if they are interfering with your FPS.

In short, DA3.0 is not causing your FPS to drop; it's just telling you that it has dropped and that it's trying to take some steps to correct the issue. Or at least that's my understanding.
I just want it to stop doing it altogether.

WeeWillie

Content Creator
aztlan said:
Yes. In DA3.0, WW introduced ...

That is exactly correct. It's a hacky solution, but even on semi-good machines, the strands can cause framerate to drop down to a point where complex dialogs just fail. If you are continuously getting that message, that means to get a smooth experience that doesn't crap out on complex dialogs, you need to fix the base problem. You can make your window smaller, get a faster machine, or try aztlan's suggestion of limiting strands from the outset. Anybody else have good ideas?

The ultimate solution would be for a SDT guru to figure out the true underlying performance issue, but that probably exists in base SDT functionality, and would be very difficult to fix.

I can also try looking into adding a configuration setting that disables the hacky FPS "fix". That just means I won't be working on my dialogue project, which means I need to do work instead of have fun. :)

Pim_gd

Content Creator
making the window smaller won't fix the issue; the game still has to render the entire screen.

I know loading 5 different Animtools positions in a row causes SDT to just die in terms of FPS. I wonder why.

aztlan

Casual Client
WeeWillie said:
I can also try looking into adding a configuration setting that disables the hacky FPS "fix". That just means I won't be working on my dialogue project, which means I need to do work instead of have fun. :)

The complaints (there was another very similar one a few weeks back) seem to revolve around the warning, not the actual fixing.

Maybe rather than removing the fix (which I certainly don't want to see), you could just include a setting that would suppress the message. (The problem is that the people who are annoyed by these messages also seem not to read the documentation so might not even know about an option to turn off the warning...)

In the longer run having a more robust or aggressive version of sby's strandlimitV3 might be the best solution - take steps to prevent these issues (and others that can be discovered and fixes implemented for) before they ever drive FPS down to 10.

WeeWillie

Content Creator
aztlan said:
The complaints (there was another very similar one a few weeks back) seem to revolve around the warning, not the actual fixing.

Maybe rather than removing the fix (which I certainly don't want to see), you could just include a setting that would suppress the message. (The problem is that the people who are annoyed by these messages also seem not to read the documentation so might not even know about an option to turn off the warning...)

In the longer run having a more robust or aggressive version of sby's strandlimitV3 might be the best solution - take steps to prevent these issues (and others that can be discovered and fixes implemented for) before they ever drive FPS down to 10.

I think there was also the complaint that the strands were disappearing too. If I can figure out how to do the settings, I could have three modes: 1. remove strands and display message for debugging (its good to know its happening). 2. remove strands silently 3. Don't do anything, just like DA 2.04 and earlier.

Your suggestion about building in strandlimitV3 is a great idea. Actually, I'll probably just add that mod to my bundle as a better fail safe. Thank you for the idea. Implementing something like that automatically into DA is something I'd leave till my dialogue is done (which will be a LONG time from now) or just leave it to better developers to tackle once I get DA 3.1 released. As Pim_gd is so happy to point out, I'm a dialogue writer, not a mod developer :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.