Do you prefer zako victory, defeat or enjoy both?

• 100% winning!

Votes: 29 14.0%
  • 100% losing!

Votes: 125 60.4%
  • Both!

Votes: 53 25.6%

• Total voters

sindragoon

Casual Client
Very well - remaining bodies is it then.

Thanks! Although there are some SNK characters lacking, I fear importing characters from other games would stand out as foreign. We all love poison/roxy, but even the sprite size would be odd (just my two cents).

Interesting feedback. Should I erradicate special moves for zakos, or is there room for at least one or two of them having more abilities than the rest?

Thanks for the comments!

Great idea !
It also would be great if we can choose which types of zakos we are going to face.
Is it possible that you are going to include Street Fighter 3 Third Strike online edition costumes? I think they are pretty erotic Chun-Li/Gallery

Mei-Mei, Mei-Ya, Mei-Ling from Warriors Of Fate could also make great zakos http://blog-imgs-31-origin.fc2.com/g/u/n/gunboydx/tenchi6_091229.jpg
http://www.duose.com/p/2007/1007/68062_265625.jpg

I would gladly pay for your game if you are going to include them and create an option for us to choose which type of zakos we are going to face :P

Weoooo

Master of this Domain
Thanks! Although there are some SNK characters lacking, I fear importing characters from other games would stand out as foreign. We all love poison/roxy, but even the sprite size would be odd (just my two cents).

I meant the SNK edit of poison in particular.
IDLE00.GIF

This one. I mean it's up to you what you wanna add, I was just spittin' names cause there's so many out there.

Interesting feedback. Should I erradicate special moves for zakos, or is there room for at least one or two of them having more abilities than the rest?
I don't actually think it's the special moves. I think that enemies are simply able to attack really quickly, faster than the player can recover from the hit stun. I LIKE the special moves, it gives flavor. I wouldn't want to see them gone. I think it's a matter of attack speed. I donno how to fix that, I never got far in designing one of these myself. I just amassed a large collection of characters I unpacked from the .paks. I'm happy to provide feedback, because it's clear you put a lot of time and effort into this. Anything done with that passion deserves and honest look.

Abaddon the Destroyer

Club Regular
It also would be great if we can choose which types of zakos we are going to face.
Well... the player could replace the level.txt files before running the game. I guess I can create a batch file that manages the txt files automatically, so that the user just runs different bat files in order to face different enemies. The question is, which enemy sets to use?

Is it possible that you are going to include Street Fighter 3 Third Strike online edition costumes? I think they are pretty erotic Chun-Li/Gallery

Mei-Mei, Mei-Ya, Mei-Ling from Warriors Of Fate could also make great zakos http://blog-imgs-31-origin.fc2.com/g/u/n/gunboydx/tenchi6_091229.jpg
http://www.duose.com/p/2007/1007/68062_265625.jpg
Alas, I don't design the characters myself, I just... borrow them. I haven't seen those implemented yet, but if I do, I certainly can add them to the game.

I would gladly pay for your game if you are going to include them and create an option for us to choose which type of zakos we are going to face :P
Even if I did want to profit from this small modification that wouldn't be ethical, since this is a mod of a mod - the bulk of the work rests in someone else's shoulders. I am just changing some characters here and there. Nevertheless, thanks for your enthusiasm! It's certainly motivating.

Abaddon the Destroyer

Club Regular
I meant the SNK edit of poison in particular.
View attachment 56846
This one. I mean it's up to you what you wanna add, I was just spittin' names cause there's so many out there.
Oh, I missed that one. Yes, if I find the BOR file, it would be simple to add the model to the mod. Thanks!

I don't actually think it's the special moves. I think that enemies are simply able to attack really quickly, faster than the player can recover from the hit stun. I LIKE the special moves, it gives flavor. I wouldn't want to see them gone. I think it's a matter of attack speed. I donno how to fix that, I never got far in designing one of these myself.
Problem is, in BoR, if you give the sprites of a move to an AI character, it will use it. I don't think it has to do with the aggresion variable; if a character has a rise and attack animation, it will rise and attack from time to time. I have to look into it though.
I just amassed a large collection of characters I unpacked from the .paks. I'm happy to provide feedback, because it's clear you put a lot of time and effort into this. Anything done with that passion deserves and honest look.
Oh, it's just a little pastime to kill time. But any unused BoR characters would be more than appreciated. Thanks for the comment!

Abaddon the Destroyer

Club Regular
Thank you very much for sharing your character collection. It is quite comprehensive - there are over 250 folders in it! I will have to choose which models to implement first - in order to avoid errors, I add one character at a time before checking the mod, hunting down any problems that pop up with the files one model at a time. If anyone has a preference, please ask.

colasc

Swell Supporter
Thank you very much for sharing your character collection. It is quite comprehensive - there are over 250 folders in it! I will have to choose which models to implement first - in order to avoid errors, I add one character at a time before checking the mod, hunting down any problems that pop up with the files one model at a time. If anyone has a preference, please ask.
I'm sorry for reposting but may I ask if this mod will be just an one time thing or will it be regular updated? I'm asking since I see a lot of potential.

Abaddon the Destroyer

Club Regular
I'm sorry for reposting but may I ask if this mod will be just an one time thing or will it be regular updated? I'm asking since I see a lot of potential.
I guess that as long as there are people interested in it, I will expand the mod. Frankly, I didn't expect much reception. I'm more than glad to be able to give the community something back, as small as it may be.

As always, any feedback is appreciated. Is there anything you want to see that the mod is lacking? Just ask! Worst case scenario, it can't be implemented.

In order not to leave you empty handed with this post, I leave here a new version, with Poison and Jenet added to the mix:
BorZako4.rar

Snow

Avid Affiliate
Someone pointed me to this thread and since I have some experience with OpenBOR, I tried your edit. You're doing good work here!

If you don't mind, could I recommend a couple of things?

- The enemy attack speed really does need to be tweaked. You can get 100% comboed over and over with no way to break it. Since the primary goal of this edit (I assume) is not to be particularly challenging, I would try adjusting the enemy aggression so they don't attack the moment you come into range. There are a couple of values that should help, although I can't remember them at the moment. :P

- If you wanted to add blood, you'd probably best use a custom hitflash. I also don't care for blood, and large hitlflashes of any kind can get in the way of animations. You could add spit/sweat flying on a hit by just adding some white pixels to enemy hit frames.

- The biggest addition I would make is to add more enemy hit animations. At least a body hit animation set, which most characters should have from their original games. Using more HIT animations and sounds would make it feel much more polished and give the player's attacks more variety.

- Look at some of the scripts on Chrono Cross, there are a few that might be fun for a mod like this. I'm pretty sure there's a slow-motion script (it could slow down on huge hits or enemy KOs) and also a sound randomizer that can mix up punch and enemy yells so you don't hear the same ones many times in a row.

Thanks for your work on this!

Abaddon the Destroyer

Club Regular
Someone pointed me to this thread and since I have some experience with OpenBOR, I tried your edit. You're doing good work here!
Thanks!

- The enemy attack speed really does need to be tweaked. You can get 100% comboed over and over with no way to break it. Since the primary goal of this edit (I assume) is not to be particularly challenging, I would try adjusting the enemy aggression so they don't attack the moment you come into range. There are a couple of values that should help, although I can't remember them at the moment. :P
I set the aggression value to -5 so that characters would delay their attacks, but it doesn't seem to work. Maybe it is out of range?

I'm talking about this one:

aggression {value}

• ~For enemies, this command modifies pausetime for enemy before they attack after player is within attack range.
  • ~Positive value reduces pausetime making the enemy reacts faster.
  • ~Negative value increase pausetime making the enemy reacts slower.

- If you wanted to add blood, you'd probably best use a custom hitflash. I also don't care for blood, and large hitlflashes of any kind can get in the way of animations. You could add spit/sweat flying on a hit by just adding some white pixels to enemy hit frames.
Noted. I think I am not a fan of blood, but it is good to know.

- The biggest addition I would make is to add more enemy hit animations. At least a body hit animation set, which most characters should have from their original games. Using more HIT animations and sounds would make it feel much more polished and give the player's attacks more variety.
Some enemies have several hit animations, but seem to use only the first one. Odd indeed. I will have to investigate this.

- Look at some of the scripts on Chrono Cross, there are a few that might be fun for a mod like this. I'm pretty sure there's a slow-motion script (it could slow down on huge hits or enemy KOs) and also a sound randomizer that can mix up punch and enemy yells so you don't hear the same ones many times in a row.
I don't think the build of BoR I am using supports that - maybe it is time to migrate.

Thanks for your work on this!
Thank you for your interest and support!

Snow

Avid Affiliate
I set the aggression value to -5 so that characters would delay their attacks, but it doesn't seem to work. Maybe it is out of range?

Try much larger values and test by standing in front of an enemy. Maybe -50 or -100 and see what happens.

Some enemies have several hit animations, but seem to use only the first one. Odd indeed. I will have to investigate this.

There could be two things going on there; either enemies don't have PAIN2, PAIN3, etc or (more likely), the player attacks are not triggering them. Check to see if all of the hits in a combo use ATTACK1. If an enemy has a PAIN2 animation, it needs to be triggered using ATTACK 2, etc. Also correct me if I'm wrong about that, it's been a while since I worked on a mod.

I don't think the build of BoR I am using supports that - maybe it is time to migrate.

Scripts should work on old versions too, but there are a few things that only work in newer versions (I think countering doesn't work on really old ones). It's a good idea to update if you can.

To be honest, you may want to consider re-building this from the generic Beats of Rage mod. Most mod creators insist on making things as difficult as possible, and there are probably things in this mod that you would do differently if you were to start from a base. Just a thought. :)

Thanks!

Abaddon the Destroyer

Club Regular
Try much larger values and test by standing in front of an enemy. Maybe -50 or -100 and see what happens.
I tried extreme values, and values in between, and there doesn't seem to be any change. Odd.

There could be two things going on there; either enemies don't have PAIN2, PAIN3, etc or (more likely), the player attacks are not triggering them. Check to see if all of the hits in a combo use ATTACK1. If an enemy has a PAIN2 animation, it needs to be triggered using ATTACK 2, etc. Also correct me if I'm wrong about that, it's been a while since I worked on a mod.
I see. However, the player does use its ATTACK 2 animation without triggering PAIN 2 animations (in the cases where they exist). May it have to do with the version, too?

Scripts should work on old versions too, but there are a few things that only work in newer versions (I think countering doesn't work on really old ones). It's a good idea to update if you can.

To be honest, you may want to consider re-building this from the generic Beats of Rage mod. Most mod creators insist on making things as difficult as possible, and there are probably things in this mod that you would do differently if you were to start from a base. Just a thought. :)
So... the solution to several issues would be getting the lastest version of the original Beats of Rage and moving the characters there, wouldn't it? I think I'm updating this version for some time just because it is easier, but I reckon sometime in the future I will have to do the jump if the quality of the mod is to be improved.

Thank you!

Snow

Avid Affiliate
I checked a bunch of the female enemies and haven't found any that have a PAIN2 animation yet. Remember, it's not the frame names, there needs to be a PAIN2, PAIN3, etc in the character's text file for them to have additonal hit animations.

I don't understand why the aggression values aren't doing anything, that's weird.

Well it's just my opinion, but I think starting fresh and adding the characters to a default OpenBOR mod would make it easier to isolate any problems. There might be scripts running in some of this original mod's character files that could possibly be affecting how things work. Upgrading to the latest OpenBOR is probably a good idea anyway because they are good at adding the occasional useful feature (as well as support for systems that no one still uses, haha).

Abaddon the Destroyer

Club Regular
I checked a bunch of the female enemies and haven't found any that have a PAIN2 animation yet. Remember, it's not the frame names, there needs to be a PAIN2, PAIN3, etc in the character's text file for them to have additonal hit animations.
You are right, there are almost no PAIN2 animations implemented yet. But for testing purposes, I spawned several Poisons (which do have two pain animations) to no avail.

I don't understand why the aggression values aren't doing anything, that's weird.
That is weird indeed. I downloaded the lastest OpenBoR version, tested the mod with it, and aggression values continued doing nothing.

Well it's just my opinion, but I think starting fresh and adding the characters to a default OpenBOR mod would make it easier to isolate any problems. There might be scripts running in some of this original mod's character files that could possibly be affecting how things work. Upgrading to the latest OpenBOR is probably a good idea anyway because they are good at adding the occasional useful feature (as well as support for systems that no one still uses, haha).
You are right, of course. At the very least I am upgrading to the lastest OpenBoR build.

By "a default OpenBOR" mod, you mean using the PAK file of the original Beats of Rage in the OpenBoR folder?

Snow

Avid Affiliate
But for testing purposes, I spawned several Poisons (which do have two pain animations) to no avail.

You're right, she looks to have proper PAIN1 and PAIN2 animations and its not working as expected. Why that and the aggression values aren't working is beyond me. Sorry I can't help more, but I'll take another look at it soon.

By "a default OpenBOR" mod, you mean using the PAK file of the original Beats of Rage in the OpenBoR folder?

Yeah, just the uncompressed version (with all the folders) of the default PAK file. You should be able to add a few characters into it pretty easily and go from there.

Abaddon the Destroyer

Club Regular
I have downloaded the lastest OpenBoR build and the original Beats of Rage PAK in order to begin the migration - though I have mixed feelings with the loss of character choices (I liked the "A Tale of Vengeance" player characters a bit more).

Should I leave the music on, or is it distracting?

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.