Cnby

Ryonani Teamster
Ed Boon has been teasing a new game announcement for a while now, with a cryptic countdown ending at E3.
Many believe it's going to be a new Mortal Kombat game and attached is a supposed teaser poster for it that surfaced today.
I'm excited but there really isn't much else to say until more info leaks and/or E3.
1401303263344.jpg

bryanthunder

Ryonani Teamster
A new Mortal Kombat would make sense. After all, the reboot damn near confirmed that the series would continue what with Shinnok making an appearance at the end.
Frankly, I know I'm holding my breath, but I'd like to see MK return to 3D combat. But if the fatalities are good, and the women look half-way decent I may look into the game either way.

E3 isn't too far off, so we'll see what happens.

RyonaDamsels

Ryonani Teamster
He also teased the fans in twitter by a photo that focuses on the back of the car which reads MK10 but ED Boon has a history in teasing with the fans , it could be another Injustice game

Steve15

Vivacious Visitor
Frankly, I know I'm holding my breath, but I'd like to see MK return to 3D combat.

Not me. MK9 was amazing. Easily my favourite in years. The gameplay was quick and fun, the return to 2D combat was enjoyable and the story mode was extremely well thought out.

The 3D MK games were alright, but that was all they were, alright. Honestly the only one I found myself playing for any length of time was Deception. MK4 had its highlights as well, but 2D fighters are where my heart has always lain. A revamped graphics engine with a similar gameplay engine would be alright with me.

anotherguttersnipe

Ryonani Teamster
This is gonna sound weird, but I hope they tone down the gore for this next game. I mean, I like my blood and guts as much as the next guy, but there are such things as limits. I mean, cuts, bruises and scratches are one thing, but missing bits of face is just too much! Especially on female characters.

RyonaDamsels

Ryonani Teamster
Yes, MK9 was about breaking bones and cutting body parts apart more than grabs and holds , Also they ruined 50% of the ryona of the game by making the special moves in X-rays and most of them are about breaking bones

eyeteeth

Ryonani Teamster
my biggest hope is that they get someone else to do the female face art. those girls are not very pretty at all!

Cnby

Ryonani Teamster
Mortal Kombat X listed on Amazon | Gaming Everything

Ed Boon has also been hinting at some sort of reveal on Monday.

Edit: In true Ed Boon fashion Mortal Kombat X has been confirmed.

Mortal Kombat X.JPG

And here's the reveal trailer placing this as a 2015 title:
[video=youtube_share;Ci6lMQNLKZU]http://youtu.be/Ci6lMQNLKZU[/video]

Here's hoping E3 provides some gameplay footage.

EDIT: Sure enough here's E3 gameplay footage showing off a couple character fights. One of the new characters demonstrated appears to be a wasp woman.
[video=youtube_share;0gEhY_OiNsc]http://youtu.be/0gEhY_OiNsc[/video]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are two gameplay interview videos that show D'Vorah (the wasp woman) and Cassie Cage (daughter of Sonya and Johnny Cage).
We get to see a grab or two from both characters, as well as an X-ray performed by D'Vorah on Cassie. At the end Cassie executes a rather tame, by Mortal Kombat standards, fatality on D'Vorah.

In this video we get another D'Vorah vs. Cassie Cage match in the beginning which plays out almost the same as the above video.
This video ends with Cassie vs. Ferra/Torr where we get a couple of grabs, including a bear hug, and a fatality on Cassie.
Cassie vs. D'Vorah (1:30)
Cassie vs. Ferra/Torr (11:30)

[video=youtube_share;AslNfKMz-Io]http://youtu.be/AslNfKMz-Io[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

SquigglySwag

Avid Affiliate
Thanks for posting those videos.
D'Vorah's X-Ray move was pretty nice. Makes no sense how they survive those; that one looks at least as deadly as Cassie's fatality. And Torr(?)'s fatality on Cassie was awesome.
Too bad we probably won't get a chance to brutalize the little lady Ferra(?), since she's more of a weapon/tool, and the fatalities only affect Torr.
Three new females revealed already, and they're all pretty cool. I like Cassie's wetsuit and decked-out utility belts.

So far the graphics and gameplay look decent enough. At least as good as MK9, and I'm sure it'll get polished up a bit before release. Exciting.

puca

Club Regular
It looks like someone at NRS finally learned how to model women! Yay!

(I'm probably being a little harsh, but I mean, pretty much all of MK9's women were blah, and Injustice was maybe 50/50 good/bad)

D'Vorah's X-Ray and Ferra/Torr's fatalities were awesome. It seems like the post-fatality camera lingers on the remains, but I'm ok with that >=D

RyonaDamsels

Ryonani Teamster
A question off-topic : Is there anyway to remove the auto-feature that merging new Respectively posts from the same user into one post ? I missed cnby updates for the game because the site reads the new posts from the same users as an edit to the original post so it doesn't show in the "New Posts" section

randomguy

Ryonani Teamster
I am not interested. MK9 like all MKs of the past was clunky and felt unresponsive. In terms of ryona the only one with a decent face in 9 was Sonya....soooo yeah and with the Xray thing and the blood on the models(not my thing) it had nothing to offer me

shiruken

Ryonani Teamster
MK9 was a gold mine for gore ryona fans. Lucky for you there's every other fighting game ever to get your ryona kicks.

On topic, from whats been shown so far MKX looks like it's made some solid improvements over MK9.

Raden

Wordsmith
Ryonani Teamster
I am not interested. MK9 like all MKs of the past was clunky and felt unresponsive. In terms of ryona the only one with a decent face in 9 was Sonya

I almost choked on my tea reading this. I'm sorry man but you have to be fucking kidding.

randomguy

Ryonani Teamster
I almost choked on my tea reading this. I'm sorry man but you have to be fucking kidding.

MK 9 feels like I am playing the game in water. Everything feels delayed compared to..any other 2D style fighting game(except maybe some of those early Street fighter 2 clones) When you hit an attack unless you hit it's "per-detirmend I will let you only do this one thing" attack after going anything form a basic punch, you don't even get to move until you hit the one it says you can only do or a few frames after the attack animation completes making the game take control away from the player. Something Street fighter and KOF never do

For the face thing Mileena...yeaah but she is a monster, the others the all have that big cheek bone thing going like Wonder Woman did in Injustice or Helena from RE6(though nobody ever looks at her face)

Steve15

Vivacious Visitor
"you don't even get to move until you hit the one it says you can only do or a few frames after the attack animation completes making the game"

It's a game mechanic. If you whiff on an attack, it leaves you exposed.

Honestly, I found MK9 extremely fluid compared to the earlier 3D MK's. The supermoves fire quickly, most attacks can be combo'ed into each other, and the characters react well when hit.

It's a game built on combos rather than button mashing, and the flow of the movements and attacks really reflect this. If you're just throwing single punches and kicks, you aren't playing the game the way it was meant to be played.

unknownwatcher

Ryonani Teamster
so, shinnok was hinted to be the big bad at the end of MK9 but would there be a chance that NS would throw a curveball and have someone else as a final boss? It would be awesome to see liu kang as the big bad.

randomguy

Ryonani Teamster
"you don't even get to move until you hit the one it says you can only do or a few frames after the attack animation completes making the game"

It's a game mechanic. If you whiff on an attack, it leaves you exposed.

Honestly, I found MK9 extremely fluid compared to the earlier 3D MK's. The supermoves fire quickly, most attacks can be combo'ed into each other, and the characters react well when hit.

It's a game built on combos rather than button mashing, and the flow of the movements and attacks really reflect this. If you're just throwing single punches and kicks, you aren't playing the game the way it was meant to be played.

Let me try to explain it better. Ok in street fighter when you do an attack you can move or strike once the animation has finished wiffed or not. In MK9 when you do an attack unless you imput the move it combos with you have a few millisecond delay before you can even move. MK9 is the most fluid MK game, but is still one of the less fluid games. No seriously play MK 9 in training for a short bit and just fuck around, then pop in street fighter or KOF. and calling the restricting combos better is silly because it takes away from experimentation and customizing your own play style with moves and follow ups. Are all moves after an attack in street fighter good or safe? No but it is better and more fluid then locking even basic movement which makes the game feel clunky.

Injustice is the most fluid one they have made to date, it still has a bit of a clunk but they are getting there

Steve15

Vivacious Visitor
"calling the restricting combos better is silly because it takes away from experimentation and customizing your own play style with moves and follow ups."

I don't find it does, it just rewards you for being able to pull off combos. If you look at Killer Instinct, that game is built on a fairly indepth combo system. The single attacks are slow and leave you exposed, but that's because you aren't supposed to rely on single attacks.

MK9 is all about jumping in, firing off a 5 or 6 hit combo, finishing with a super/x-ray then backing off. It's like a chess game where you have to balance offense with defense, and pick openings in your opponent's defenses to exploit. Calling Street Fighter more fluid is fair, and you may prefer that style, but both games are attempting different gameplay mechanics. One focuses on quick attacks, the other focuses on combos and strategy.

Like I said, it isn't clunky, it's very well made, it just isn't made to be a quick game like the Guilty Gears & BlazBlues of the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.