Raden

Wordsmith
Ryonani Teamster
MK 9 feels like I am playing the game in water. Everything feels delayed compared to..any other 2D style fighting game(except maybe some of those early Street fighter 2 clones) When you hit an attack unless you hit it's "per-detirmend I will let you only do this one thing" attack after going anything form a basic punch, you don't even get to move until you hit the one it says you can only do or a few frames after the attack animation completes making the game take control away from the player. Something Street fighter and KOF never do

For the face thing Mileena...yeaah but she is a monster, the others the all have that big cheek bone thing going like Wonder Woman did in Injustice or Helena from RE6(though nobody ever looks at her face)

I meant more along the lines of Sonya looking good. Ever since MK4 she has looked more and more like Jax. Cassie Cage apparently takes after her mother cause she doesn't look much better.

Steve15

Vivacious Visitor
Still very early development. They're talking 2015 release, so hopefully they'll have time to polish up the models.

I read somewhere that they may be toning down the blatant sexualization of the female characters though. I mean, from my daytime thinking of women shouldn't be treated like objects, I agree with this.

But my nighttime thinking where I want scantily clad women fighting to the death, I'm hoping it's just a rumour.

randomguy

Ryonani Teamster
pop it in do an uppercut, try move in any direction, you are literally locked(this is the easiest to explain example and one you can do easily)

To Raden: Oh yeah that was ajoke. The joke being she is the best one in the cast....but still not good :P

And while I have little interest if Injustice is an indicator they will probably make it more fluid

Last edited by a moderator:

puca

Club Regular
MK9 is all about jumping in, firing off a 5 or 6 hit combo, finishing with a super/x-ray then backing off. It's like a chess game where you have to balance offense with defense, and pick openings in your opponent's defenses to exploit. Calling Street Fighter more fluid is fair, and you may prefer that style, but both games are attempting different gameplay mechanics. One focuses on quick attacks, the other focuses on combos and strategy.

Like I said, it isn't clunky, it's very well made, it just isn't made to be a quick game like the Guilty Gears & BlazBlues of the world.

I never thought about it that way - I have to agree with randomguy, I always thought of MK as super clunky and stiff. I've got bad memories of... Deception? Deadly Alliance? The one with the stance changes. You pretty much had to perform one of the game's canned combos, otherwise your character would just lock up after throwing a punch.

But if you think about it as each combo being a single move à la chess, it makes a lot more sense. Neat!

I do have to say though, MK's animations have always felt suuuper stiff. MK9 and then Injustice were improvements in that regard imo, and it's looking promising in the MKX gameplay footage.

raden said:
I meant more along the lines of Sonya looking good. Ever since MK4 she has looked more and more like Jax. Cassie Cage apparently takes after her mother cause she doesn't look much better.

I dunno, I think Cassie Cage at least looks better than most of the female cast in MK9... though her posture is really weird. Anybody else weirded out by her neck? Anyways, if Injustice is any indication, Netherrealms is... getting there :P

randomguy

Ryonani Teamster

Raden

Wordsmith
Ryonani Teamster
Sherry's not exactly Helen of Troy either but eh. We'll chalk that up to personal taste and I won't start ripping you or anything. Not everyone is going to like all the same stuff, and that's what sets us all apart.

Steve15

Vivacious Visitor
"I never thought about it that way - I have to agree with randomguy, I always thought of MK as super clunky and stiff. I've got bad memories of... Deception? Deadly Alliance? The one with the stance changes. You pretty much had to perform one of the game's canned combos, otherwise your character would just lock up after throwing a punch."

Both Deception and Deadly Alliance had that problem, though Deception was a much much much better game than DA. More fatality options, more characters, slightly smoother gameplay. They were trying a new system and it was far from perfect, but they were also major steps away from the gameplay of MK3 (which introduced combos as a major focus) and MK4 which kept the gameplay of MK3 but ventured into 3D fighting for the first time.

MK9 seemed, to me, to be the combo mechanics of Deception but with more variation to the characters. You could adapt them better to suit your gamestyle while still retaining combos as a primary source of big damage. I'm hoping MKX keeps this feel to it since I felt it really kept MK9 seperate from what other fighters offer while still making it easy (and fun) to pick up and play.

puca

Club Regular
Yep, don't get me wrong, ryona/guro aside, I really enjoyed MK9 and I liked Injustice even more (though I'd chalk part of that up to their amazing implementation of story in a fighting game). But for sure, MK9 was much smoother than its predecessors and I'm really looking forward to MKX. Apparently it plays like a combination of MK9 and Injustice.

Rakkar

Potential Patron
Still very early development. They're talking 2015 release, so hopefully they'll have time to polish up the models.

I read somewhere that they may be toning down the blatant sexualization of the female characters though. I mean, from my daytime thinking of women shouldn't be treated like objects, I agree with this.

But my nighttime thinking where I want scantily clad women fighting to the death, I'm hoping it's just a rumour.

So they can't sexualize characters in a videogame where people are literally chopping each other into tiny pieces. Oh, ok.

Sexualization/nudity = bad, chopping people into tiny bits = ok. Sounds like we got our priorities in order.

It's a damn videogame and they should give people what they want if they want to sell copies. MK9 fans like insane violence and hypersexualized characters. You can deny these simple facts if you want to, you'll just ultimately sell less copies and make no money.

I for one am also hoping it's just a rumor, but judging by the characters it doesn't seem to be.

puca

Club Regular
The whole violence/sexualisation debate aside, I wonder why they're toning down the sexualisation for this installment. I mean, it's not like MK has ever been marketed to a mass audience - it's a fighting game (niche) and it's hyper violent and gory (also niche). Would have been better if they'd just gone the opposite route and made some hyper-sexualised men, no? Gender equality for everyone! :D Then again, I guess there'd be no point to that since MK is a really male-oriented game.

On a tangent, I remember hearing that North America in general is ok with violence but frowns on sex/nudity while Europe is the opposite. Anybody else hear that?

Steve15

Vivacious Visitor
"Sexualization/nudity = bad, chopping people into tiny bits = ok."

So sayeth the MPAA (Movie Picture Association of America!). Remember, kill, murder, maim, explode, dismember, destroy, and eradicate as many people as you want... but don't you dare show some breasts or we'll slap the harshest rating (17+) we can!

They're ridiculous. I'm in Canada and it's a little better, but outside of Quebec (They're closer to European in their views on sexuality) any sexuality gets cracked down on hard while extreme violence is often seen as... not great, but acceptable. Thankfully we don't censor, just restrict.

90sSegaFan

Ryonani Teamster
Like Bruce Campbell said, you can't show a breast but you can show it getting cut off. I'm always shocked that sexuality is so risque but violence is okay. What got GTA San Andreas pulled? A hidden sex scene that you had to hack the game to see. Did people not see the countless amounts of violence in that game?

Snowballs

Ryonani Teamster
Meh, the sexuality debate hasn't changed in years. We understand that the North American government doesn't like sex but accepts violence, blah blah. Doesn't really effect me because there's a lot of sexual content on the internet and there are plenty of people who love sexuality. We're all on the same team =).

Ryona and violence of women on the other hand is a pretty small part of the internet aside from the usual BDSM. As for the MK series becoming "less" sexualized? It's iffy. Honestly, I would trade better looking-curvy-actual-feminine female characters over the masculine-bikini-clad-"female" characters. Seriously, if you removed the breast from some of those MK models, they'd look masculine, argh. Those girls need some curves.

RyonaDamsels

Ryonani Teamster
So they can't sexualize characters in a videogame where people are literally chopping each other into tiny pieces. Oh, ok.

Sexualization/nudity = bad, chopping people into tiny bits = ok. Sounds like we got our priorities in order.

Depends on Country and Culture

America = No sexual models but chopping , killing , ripping bodies parts apart are welcome

Europe = A lot of countries (mostly Germany) No Chopping , Killing , ripping bodies parts apart but sexual models is welcome

Japan = All are welcome but they favor Sexual models over chopping and ripping bodies parts apart

Compare Mortal Kombat to the whole catageory of Japanese fighting games and you will know the difference between America and Japan in games

anotherguttersnipe

Ryonani Teamster
...In all fairness, MK9 had all of everything in that regard-being the sex and the violence and what not. Shame all the women had manjaws though.

Rakkar

Potential Patron
The whole violence/sexualisation debate aside, I wonder why they're toning down the sexualisation for this installment. I mean, it's not like MK has ever been marketed to a mass audience - it's a fighting game (niche) and it's hyper violent and gory (also niche). Would have been better if they'd just gone the opposite route and made some hyper-sexualised men, no? Gender equality for everyone! :D Then again, I guess there'd be no point to that since MK is a really male-oriented game.

This is the route they'd go if they were smart. It's a male-oriented game because men are more likely to like violence more than women are in their entertainment, but if any women were into MK type games they'd probably love any over-sexualized male characters and they'd get more sales out of it. It's just simply how it is.

It's a pretty well known fact by now that many people who buy DOA buy it for the half naked women. It's such a comedy to see people act like this isn't how people are, and then something like DOA comes along and makes money off everyone by selling PG rated barely covered boobs because nobody else is willing to accept reality. You'd think a company like MK's who has been pushing the barriers for over a decade would know that by now.

You know what else is funny though? If you go to the ESRB site and look at the rating description for adults 18+, one of the factors is "gambling with real currency". So, a kid can throw poor tanya into a meat grinder and physically see it rip her apart but gambling with real currency - ADULTS ONLY. What a joke.

But yeah, at least MK9 got it right manjaws aside. Shame we won't get the full package anymore after 1 game though.

Steve15

Vivacious Visitor
"Shame we won't get the full package anymore after 1 game though."

Have to stress. This was an internet rumor. Only 2 female characters have been shown, and of them only 1 outfit each.

MK has a long history of sexualizing their characters, and it's entirely likely the internet is lying. :)

ponyexpress

Potential Patron
They could just have a bunch of costumes, some sexualized, others (probably defaults) more decent. Do it for everyone, not just the ladies. Throw in some joke outfits.

About MK game play - spot on about the combo's basically being single moves. While all good fighting games are a chess game in some way, MK makes you feel your misses big on even the lowest risk attacks. MK isn't about building combo's, it's about chaining combo's into each other (especially DA/Deception, usually via Juggle or weapon switch). MK 9 is similar with the canned combo's but it's also a heavier game where single attacks can do some real damage on counters (or have really long whiffs) - allowing for that old school MK1/MK2 feel.

Locusta

Vivacious Visitor
I'm thrilled about the insect lady fighter in this game. I do play fighters and sometimes even become fairly competitive online. D'vorrah seems tailored to my interests >:3

And you know I will enjoy losing as much as I enjoy winning... Sometimes.

I would like Sheeva to return also. Perhaps as Queen of the Shokan. She really needs a fuller lower body however. Shokans seem strangely top-heavy in the new MK games. Just my opinion of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.