SDT Newbie Guide (2 Viewers)

stuntcock

Content Creator
silly question but how do i take screenshots?
If you're trying to create thumbnail images for saved characters, then simply press Enter. You'll be prompted to choose a filename for the generated PNG file.

If you're trying to take a normal screenshot then same as above, except press / (forward slash) instead.

The screenshots generated by the game are limited to the game's default resolution. If you're running the game in fullscreen and you want a high-resolution screenshot, then you'll need to use the Prnt Scr key (then paste it into an image editing program and save the file).

stuntcock

Content Creator
How do I use action scripts file (.as) ?
If you wish to create code mods, then you can edit a *.as file using a text editor application and compile it into SWF format via the Lightweight Mod Compiler.

If you're a normal user then you can ignore (or delete) any *.as files that you encounter. SDT does not require them. These files are sometimes shared by modders in order to encourage open-source development, but you don't need to participate if you don't want to.

TheHack

Potential Patron
If you wish to create code mods, then you can edit a *.as file using a text editor application and compile it into SWF format via the Lightweight Mod Compiler.

If you're a normal user then you can ignore (or delete) any *.as files that you encounter. SDT does not require them. These files are sometimes shared by modders in order to encourage open-source development, but you don't need to participate if you don't want to.
I'm learning programmation and I was just wondering how theses files works ^^. Thanks anyway

MaximusEdgimus

Potential Patron
I'm trying to figure out how to put in hairs and mods and such. I downloaded SBY's thing and I'm trying to add in certain stuff that looks interesting, like the whole "Breast Expansion" thing and stuff
I'm also trying to add in some hairs from Homestuck.

However, none of the changes apply. I can find the files I need and try to put them in... but no changes seem to happen.

stuntcock

Content Creator
Hello MaximusEdgimus MaximusEdgimus . Welcome to the Undertow forum.

I'm trying to figure out how to put in hairs and mods and such.
If you're trying to add new elements (such as clothes and hairstyles) to the current game session then no special file-handling work is needed. Most mods are distributed in SWF format. You can click the "Modding" tab of the in-game menu, click the "Swf mod..." button, and then browse for the file which you wish to try out.

If you've tried out an item, and you're happy with it, then you might want it to be easily available in future gameplay sessions. There are three main ways of doing this:
  • setup a Character Folder for the new mod. Character Folders are described in the Newbie Guide (page 1 of this thread). Once the folder setup is complete, you'll be able to activate the mod by choosing it from the character roster.
    • you can use a one-folder-per-mod approach (which may be useful for "standalone" mods such as X-Ray) or you can combine several mods into a single folder (which is useful if you want to group together all of the content for a specific character: her hairstyle, body parameters, clothing, custom background, custom dialogue, etc).
  • include the new mod in the special Character Folder named Mods\$INIT$ . The Loader will then attempt to load the mod whenever the game starts up.
    • this approach is suitable for "persistent" code mods (such as animtools) but it's rarely useful for "content" files such as hairstyles or clothing.
  • register the new mod in moreClothing. If this is done correctly, then the new mod will be incorporated into the game's normal selector menus (alongside Thong underwear, Jeans, Leather collar, etc).
    • as you expand your moreClothing list, the game's initialization time will increase. You can improve the startup performance by periodically culling the list ... or you can just accept the longer startup time as a consequence of the cool stuff that you've collected :)

Please note that it's never sufficient to merely dump newly-downloaded SWF files into a subfolder where they seem to "fit". For security reasons, Flash applications (such as Super Deepthroat) cannot "discover" files on your local disk. It would be very logical and convenient for the game to automatically find *.swf files -- but the game is unable to do so.

Therefore you must "tell" the game about each new file, by writing out the new filename into the relevant configuration file. If you're adding a new mod to the Mods\$INIT$ folder, then you'd need to add a line to your Mods\$INIT$\mods.txt file. If you're dumping new files into the moreclothingmods folder, then you'll need to mention their filenames (along with some fancy syntax involving colons) in the moreclothingV6_3settings.txt file.

Of course you can avoid some of this work by downloading a Loader pack (example). You can reuse someone else's configuration work and get a head start with several mods already in-place. But as you download new content and decide to add it into your game, you'll eventually need to do some TXT file editing on your own.

However, none of the changes apply. I can find the files I need and try to put them in... but no changes seem to happen.
This stuff can be difficult when you're starting out. The procedures are somewhat un-intuitive and the error messages are often misleading. We can provide troubleshooting, guidance, and examples to help you get started.

But first we'll need some details about what you're trying to do (e.g. setup Character Folders, expand your moreClothing list) or a brief description of your goals (i.e. "I'd like to create saved characters for each of the Homestuck girls so that I can load their hair and costumes with one mouse click" vs "I want to replace all of the SDT hair and clothing assets with Homestuck material so that I can click the Shuffle button and get a randomized Homestuck mash-up character").

MaximusEdgimus

Potential Patron
Hello MaximusEdgimus MaximusEdgimus . Welcome to the Undertow forum.

If you're trying to add new elements (such as clothes and hairstyles) to the current game session then no special file-handling work is needed. Most mods are distributed in SWF format. You can click the "Modding" tab of the in-game menu, click the "Swf mod..." button, and then browse for the file which you wish to try out.

If you've tried out an item, and you're happy with it, then you might want it to be easily available in future gameplay sessions. There are three main ways of doing this:
  • setup a Character Folder for the new mod. Character Folders are described in the Newbie Guide (page 1 of this thread). Once the folder setup is complete, you'll be able to activate the mod by choosing it from the character roster.
    • you can use a one-folder-per-mod approach (which may be useful for "standalone" mods such as X-Ray) or you can combine several mods into a single folder (which is useful if you want to group together all of the content for a specific character: her hairstyle, body parameters, clothing, custom background, custom dialogue, etc).
  • include the new mod in the special Character Folder named Mods\$INIT$ . The Loader will then attempt to load the mod whenever the game starts up.
    • this approach is suitable for "persistent" code mods (such as animtools) but it's rarely useful for "content" files such as hairstyles or clothing.
  • register the new mod in moreClothing. If this is done correctly, then the new mod will be incorporated into the game's normal selector menus (alongside Thong underwear, Jeans, Leather collar, etc).
    • as you expand your moreClothing list, the game's initialization time will increase. You can improve the startup performance by periodically culling the list ... or you can just accept the longer startup time as a consequence of the cool stuff that you've collected :)

Please note that it's never sufficient to merely dump newly-downloaded SWF files into a subfolder where they seem to "fit". For security reasons, Flash applications (such as Super Deepthroat) cannot "discover" files on your local disk. It would be very logical and convenient for the game to automatically find *.swf files -- but the game is unable to do so.

Therefore you must "tell" the game about each new file, by writing out the new filename into the relevant configuration file. If you're adding a new mod to the Mods\$INIT$ folder, then you'd need to add a line to your Mods\$INIT$\mods.txt file. If you're dumping new files into the moreclothingmods folder, then you'll need to mention their filenames (along with some fancy syntax involving colons) in the moreclothingV6_3settings.txt file.

Of course you can avoid some of this work by downloading a Loader pack (example). You can reuse someone else's configuration work and get a head start with several mods already in-place. But as you download new content and decide to add it into your game, you'll eventually need to do some TXT file editing on your own.

This stuff can be difficult when you're starting out. The procedures are somewhat un-intuitive and the error messages are often misleading. We can provide troubleshooting, guidance, and examples to help you get started.

But first we'll need some details about what you're trying to do (e.g. setup Character Folders, expand your moreClothing list) or a brief description of your goals (i.e. "I'd like to create saved characters for each of the Homestuck girls so that I can load their hair and costumes with one mouse click" vs "I want to replace all of the SDT hair and clothing assets with Homestuck material so that I can click the Shuffle button and get a randomized Homestuck mash-up character").
Oh, so to have the game have the hair saved as something I can select whenever I wish I need to make a folder for the character? I was trying to have it where I could just use the "Customize" option to change the hair to what I thought I had just added.

El Grillo

Content Creator
Sorry for the question, but im seriously puzzled. I used to make mods for the vanilla SDT, now im trying to migrate to the Loader and im filling in the Bazzillion "More clothing" inputs before starting with making a bazillon folders for each character on my SDT. But: in the loader if i mod a char and click the "Generate" "Custom save data" button it only shows part of the code, it only shows up to "HerTan" and misses all the custom bg, hair and swf info (It however, shows up correctly the code of any pre saved character from a charlist made with the old SDT together with all its mods). If so; whats the point in having all those "more clothes" if the game dont give you the info when your modding is complete?

stuntcock

Content Creator
it only shows up to "HerTan" and misses all the custom bg, hair and swf info
The customBG field isn't necessary; the charcode will include numbered items beyond the usual limit (4). So your charcode will contain a parameter such as bg:17. As long as you leave your list of backgrounds intact, the old charcodes will remain "correct". If you're regularly adding and removing backgrounds from the moreclothing configuration list, then your old saved charcodes will become invalid (i.e. they'll load the wrong background when you try to use them).

The hair element works correctly. Your charcode will contain a parameter such as hair:youngtsunade or hair:mouyuu. The charcode treats vanilla hairstyles in the same way as moreclothing-based hairstyles, and it doesn't care whether a hairstyle is static or dynamic.

The swfmod parameter is absent ... but you don't really need it. moreclothing puts everything into categories, such as Legwear or BellyPiercing. If you've loaded a mod via moreclothing then it will appear in your charcode (i.e. bellypiercing:diamond or legwear:tornStockings). Some categories will "stack" (such as body mods - which might include thicker thighs, several tattoos, a replacement set of breasts, etc) but that's okay because moreclothing will just provide a comma-separated list within the new moreclothingbody element of your charcode.

whats the point in having all those "more clothes" if the game dont give you the info when your modding is complete?
By organizing everything into categories, the mod makes it much easier for a user to manage their mod collection. You can rapidly cycle through fifteen Eyewear options instead of browsing through hundreds of SWF files (and trying to remember which one is the cool pair of sunglasses that you're looking for).

The mod allows you to apply a random set of mods (via the Shuffle button) while drawing on your entire collection -- instead of being limited to the vanilla set.

The mod allows users to extract specific pieces of a mod (e.g. the sleeves and gloves from a full-body costume) so that parts of various mods can be mixed-and-matched together. Similarly: a user can selectively omit parts of a mod in order to create a more revealing version (i.e. topless or bottomless). Without moreclothing, users might need to crudely hack their SWF files in order to achieve the same results.

moreclothing allows individual pieces of clothing to be selectively recolored, even if the original SWF file did not include RGB slider support.

moreclothing allows dialogue authors to quickly swap out a character (or switch to an alternate costume mid-scene) with much less risk of file-not-found errors.

tl;dr - it's a good mod. I would encourage you to keep playing with it. You'll probably find that your initial concerns (e.g. charcode support, confusing config file, longer startup time) will be outweighed by the benefits of the mod.

Edit: since I forgot to mention it. Welcome back!

El Grillo

Content Creator
Understood and Thanks, so i first need to add all the clothes for the loader to "detect" them, and individual sets that i dont need on menus can be added to the individual char folders instead.

sby

Content Creator
Coder
The customBG field isn't necessary; the charcode will include numbered items beyond the usual limit (4). So your charcode will contain a parameter such as bg:17. As long as you leave your list of backgrounds intact, the old charcodes will remain "correct". If you're regularly adding and removing backgrounds from the moreclothing configuration list, then your old saved charcodes will become invalid (i.e. they'll load the wrong background when you try to use them).
!
this would have been a good thing to note to me, i can probably add an additional charcode field to do the backgrounds by name so you can mess around with what backgrounds you include and it won't mess up past charcodes, as long as you still have that background added.
expect in next release, 90% chance going to be very easy to add.

edit - uploaded
moreclothing

Last edited:
R

RTRCaleb

Can someone please tell me how to make her masturbate? I found something under custom for it, but it did nothing.

aztlan

Casual Client
If you use the Loader and install Dialogue Actions you can script/command he to do so via dialogue. There is also a Loader mod for just this called something like Her Masturbate. It might be in the archive.

pervert189

Potential Patron
Hi I'm new but I have read " SDT Newbie Guide" and I do everything (I guess) like in the guide but i can't "Save Character".
LGtQXcJ.png

I tried also typing all folders (SFM/DeepThroat/Mods/Downloads/Konan.png) where Konan.png is located but it doesn't work.
jthtmwR
jthtmwR.png

I also searched forum to find out but I couldn't find the answer. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Last edited:

stuntcock

Content Creator
I tried also typing all folders (SFM/DeepThroat/Mods/Downloads/Konan.png) where Konan.png is located but it doesn't work.
In general, you shouldn't need to type anything into the top text field.
  1. Start over.
  2. When you attempt to save the character, the top text field should contain a very short string (such as "Konan.png").
  3. Leave the top text field alone.
  4. Click the + button in the lower section.
  5. A new textbox will appear in the lower section.
  6. Type (or copy-paste) a path into the new textbox. For example: "mods/downloads/".
    • The goal is that the game can combine the two fields to get the complete filename.
    • "mods/downloads/" + "Konan.png" = "mods/downloads/Konan.png"
  7. After you've typed the folder path into the textbox, leave the keyboard cursor in the textbox (don't click away or switch focus).
  8. Press Enter.
  9. If the game finds your file in the specified folder then the border surrounding the top text field will change from red to green.
  10. If necessary, click the + button again and add another folder (such as "mods/downloads/anime_characters/").
    • SDT will search through all of the specified whenever it needs to find an external file. It's okay to scatter your files across several different folders, so long as you've given SDT a complete list of folders.
  11. When SDT has found all of the external files that it needs, the on-screen message will change and the "Save Character" button will appear.

Last edited:

pervert189

Potential Patron
In general, you shouldn't need to type anything into the top text field.
  1. Start over.
  2. When you attempt to save the character, the top text field should contain a very short string (such as "Konan.png").
  3. Leave the top text field alone.
  4. Click the + button in the lower section.
  5. A new textbox will appear in the lower section.
  6. Type (or copy-paste) a path into the new textbox. For example: "mods/downloads/".
    • The goal is that the game can combine the two fields to get the complete filename.
    • "mods/downloads/" + "Konan.png" = "mods/downloads/Konan.png"
  7. If the game finds your file in the specified folder then the border surrounding the top text field will change from red to green.
  8. If necessary, click the + button again and add another folder (such as "mods/downloads/anime_characters/").
    • SDT will search through all of the specified whenever it needs to find an external file. It's okay to scatter your files across several different folders, so long as you've given SDT a complete list of folders.
  9. When SDT has found all of the external files that it needs, the on-screen message will change and the "Save Character" button will appear.

I guess i did everything like you said, but still i can't save character.

First I tried with typing mods/downloads/ and nothing change. Then I was add folder mods/downloads/Konan.png and also nothing change. I have tried different variations. But the result was still the same.

g9Ee3nH.png

These are the folders where Konan.png is located.

KQDJlpr.png

Last edited:

stuntcock

Content Creator
I guess i did everything like you said, but still i can't save character.
Sorry, my mistake. I forgot about the importance of pressing Enter. The list in the previous post has been revised.

Anyways, it's no longer important. The game now "knows" about your mods\downloads folder. If you start over (again) and try to save the character then you should just receive an immediate "All paths found successfully." message and you'll be allowed to save.

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.