SDT Newbie Guide (2 Viewers)

JDMiddleson

Potential Patron
I've made the character folders as you have described. I have saved the background and dialogue in each folder and it is labeled correctly. When I launch the characters, some of the characters come up just fine while some are missing the backgrounds that I loaded in the file. I am having the same trouble with the dialogues. Some come up fine while other, not.

I can't seem to understand why it will load in one character and not in another.

stuntcock

Content Creator
When I launch the characters, some of the characters come up just fine while some are missing the backgrounds that I loaded in the file.
Clean up your charcodes. If you have a code.txt file which includes a parameter such as:
Code:
bg:1
then the charcode will replace your customized BG image with one of the vanilla backgrounds.

I am having the same trouble with the dialogues. Some come up fine while other, not.
Please provide a sample: one working and one non-working Character Folder.

Please try to run the game via the Flash Player projector content debugger. The intent here is to determine whether there's a serious error during Character Folder loading -- which might be interfering with Dialogue activation. The debugger application won't actually fix the error, but it will enable you to identify it so that we can attempt to resolve it.

JDMiddleson

Potential Patron
I checked the character codes as you said. The characters with the backgrounds working are marked , bg:3
The ones not working were marked, bg:2 I thought is was just a matter of changing the background code and running the character in the game again to check if it works. The problem is that it still doesn't work.

What should the code say to pick the background png. in the file?

stuntcock

Content Creator
The characters with the backgrounds working are marked , bg:3
The ones not working were marked, bg:2
Then it's something else. For instance, one of your folders might contain a hairstyle SWF which includes an embedded background file.

So we're back to the first thing. Please provide a sample: one working and one non-working Character Folder. Then we'll try to reproduce the problem and explain it.

What should the code say to pick the background png. in the file?
The BG.png file will be loaded regardless of what is contained in the charcode. The problem is that a charcode can be loaded after that has happened, and activate one of the default (numbered) backgrounds. It depends on your Settings.txt file - there are options to change the order of charCode loading, to suppress the loading of charCodes embedded inside SWF files, and so on.

So the safe thing is to omit the bg parameter. That's a good idea in general with charCodes - trim out as much as possible (such as the guy's clothing, the girl's freckles, etc) to avoid unintended consequences.

Code:
charName:SDChan;breasts:99;bg:2;
should become
Code:
charName:SDChan;breasts:99;

JDMiddleson

Potential Patron
The first file (Lolli) works properly when I load it. The second file (Nancy) does not load the background or the dialogue.

stuntcock

Content Creator
The first file (Lolli) works properly when I load it. The second file (Nancy) does not load the background or the dialogue.
Both of the dialogue files load properly for me.

Neither of the backgrounds loaded for me. I removed the bg parameter from the code.txt files, and then both of them loaded correctly.

Relevant stuff from Settings.txt:

Code:
loadHairLast=0
loadCodeLast=1
blockCharData=0

JDMiddleson

Potential Patron
I removed the bg parameter from the code text file on the character not working properly and it worked fine.

I tried this on some of the other files and it worked on some files but not others. I'm not really sure why!
Is there another way to load the backgrounds shown in the folder? Maybe a swf. file? It seems kind of limiting.

stuntcock

Content Creator
I tried this on some of the other files and it worked on some files but not others. I'm not really sure why!
Those folders probably contain SWF files for hair or clothing. The SWF files contain embedded charcodes. The embedded charcodes contain a bg:# parameter (because the modder who created the file was slightly careless).

You can use the Settings.txt option (blockCharData=1) to prevent SWF files from applying their embedded charcodes.

If you make this change globally (%SDT Folder%\Settings.txt), then you would need to review your character folders. In some cases, you'd need to add a code.txt file (or extend it) in order to apply character-specific effects which were previously handled by one of your SWF file.

You can also make the change locally, by creating a Settings.txt file with the blockCharData=1 line inside your misbehaving character folder. In that case, the "blocking policy" would apply only to that one character. It would not apply to SWF files loaded manually (via the "Swf Mod..." button), or files loaded via moreClothing, or %INIT%, etc... The complication is that you'd need to apply the policy to each of your misbehaving folders -- by copy-pasting your 1-line special Settings.txt file into each of them.

Is there another way to load the backgrounds shown in the folder? Maybe a swf. file?
It's possible to package a background into a SWF file, but it's not a "newbie friendly" option. Doing so requires commercial software or specialized tools.

sby

Content Creator
Coder
Those folders probably contain SWF files for hair or clothing. The SWF files contain embedded charcodes. The embedded charcodes contain a bg:# parameter (because the modder who created the file was slightly careless).

You can use the Settings.txt option (blockCharData=1) to prevent SWF files from applying their embedded charcodes.

If you make this change globally (%SDT Folder%\Settings.txt), then you would need to review your character folders. In some cases, you'd need to add a code.txt file (or extend it) in order to apply character-specific effects which were previously handled by one of your SWF file.

You can also make the change locally, by creating a Settings.txt file with the blockCharData=1 line inside your misbehaving character folder. In that case, the "blocking policy" would apply only to that one character. It would not apply to SWF files loaded manually (via the "Swf Mod..." button), or files loaded via moreClothing, or %INIT%, etc... The complication is that you'd need to apply the policy to each of your misbehaving folders -- by copy-pasting your 1-line special Settings.txt file into each of them.

It's possible to package a background into a SWF file, but it's not a "newbie friendly" option. Doing so requires commercial software or specialized tools.
i think you can have it set it back to normal if you dump a settings file in $OVER, although i haven't tested this

JDMiddleson

Potential Patron
Stuntcock, Your information was very helpful. I was able to identify the offending swf file and after removing it, the character worked just fine. I thank you for your patience and appreciate your help very much!

troyen4444

Potential Patron
Hello guys !
Thank you for this thread, it's very helpfull.

Do you know how to use the "doggystyle mode" please ? (like in the 2nd picture here : Skirt (Pulled Up))
It's different of the clothes or hairs customization and I can't find how to do it.

Thanks a lot for the help again ;)

Last edited:
I

Ivan001

A question, download the "SwitchSet Organizing Mod 1.4 by ModGuy" to change clothes for the girl, but not where to paste the files

stuntcock

Content Creator
A question, download the "SwitchSet Organizing Mod 1.4 by ModGuy" to change clothes for the girl, but not where to paste the files
You paste those files into a Character Folder, along with the files for SwitchSet itself.

The SwitchSet mod includes a Notes.txt file which explains how to use it, and it includes a working example (which you can tinker with -- gradually replacing its original files with new ones, until you're left with a working SwitchSet folder for your own character).

@ModGuy has suggested that tech support and feedback for the SwitchSet mod should be posted in the SDT Loader thread.

stuntcock

Content Creator
How do I change positions?
You press the F2 key, or click one of the position buttons which appear on the Loader tab.

That's assuming that you've already installed animtools (or that you're using sby's Loader pack). Huitznahua Huitznahua 's guide uses Modguy's Loader bundle, which includes very few built-in mods.

sby's Loader pack is a more complex starting-point. It surrounds you with a whole bunch of complex mods, which significantly alter and expand the gameplay experience. This is convenient, because you get the benefit of those mods without the challenge of installing and configuring them. But it can also be overwhelming for new users (i.e. because you don't know how to recolor the girl's hair, let alone change sexual positions). You might benefit from starting over and following Huitznahua Huitznahua 's step-by-step walkthrough, since it will teach you many of the basic concepts and operations.

If you need documentation for animtools then you can find it in sby's thread. After reading those notes you might still have questions. You can post a new Help thread -- but I would encourage you to Search first, because there's a good chance that your question has already been answered.

Please use this thread for discussion (or feedback) about the Newbie Guide itself. If you want Huitznahua Huitznahua to add more information to his guide (about a particular topic) then you're free to ask. But this thread isn't really supposed to answer general questions about the SDT game; that's what the Help board is for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.