SDT Newbie Guide (2 Viewers)

Randomanon666

Potential Patron
Since I'm an idiot when it comes to doing anything with a computer that involves saving files, I need some help. I installed the Adobe Flash Player as per instructions, as well as downloaded the game, which comes up with an internet explorer icon for some reason, I can't get any mods to work for it. I save them, but no matter what I do, they don't work properly. When I first played it, it would only accept the mod if it said Shockwave Flash Object, it wouldn't accept any file. Now that I've downloaded the game, that's still the only mod that shows up. I've also downloaded animtools, but I can't figure out how to use it. Can someone help me on this?

DigitalSmutExports

Content Creator
Hi and welcome to Undertow!

From what you describe I believe what you need to do is right click SDT.swf/Loader.swf and then choose "Open with" or something like that. I don't know the exact wording not using english Windows myself. Then find the Flash Player and open with that. The reason the swf files have an Explorer icon is that that's the program they're currently opened with by default which is why you need to choose program to open with manually. When you do so you'll get the option of checking a box to always open swf files with the Flash Player, which I recommend that you do.

For animtools you need to first have the loader installed. If you're bad with computers I strongly recommend downloading sby loaderpack. It's the Loader with a bunch of mods already installed. That might hurt performance a tad, but removing mods is a lot simpler than installing them.

Once you have that open Loader.swf NOT SDT.swf.
Good luck.

Randomanon666

Potential Patron
Hi and welcome to Undertow!

From what you describe I believe what you need to do is right click SDT.swf/Loader.swf and then choose "Open with" or something like that. I don't know the exact wording not using english Windows myself. Then find the Flash Player and open with that. The reason the swf files have an Explorer icon is that that's the program they're currently opened with by default which is why you need to choose program to open with manually. When you do so you'll get the option of checking a box to always open swf files with the Flash Player, which I recommend that you do.

For animtools you need to first have the loader installed. If you're bad with computers I strongly recommend downloading sby loaderpack. It's the Loader with a bunch of mods already installed. That might hurt performance a tad, but removing mods is a lot simpler than installing them.

Once you have that open Loader.swf NOT SDT.swf.
Good luck.
I've got it to where I can open it on Flash Player, but the portion in regards to mods still confuse me. I downloaded the loaderpack, but when I open it with the Flash Player, it just gives me a white screen in the window. whenever I go to file, open, browse, it still only shows SDT and one skin mod. I can only view my other downloads before I open up SDT, it won't show them when I go to the swf mod option.

DigitalSmutExports

Content Creator
when I open it with the Flash Player, it just gives me a white screen in the window. whenever I go to file, open, browse, it still only shows SDT and one skin mod

You don't open mods with File / Open, nor do you open them by starting them with the Flash player. You load them from within the game. The mods are mostly loaded automatically on startup. Bring up the in game menu by pressing "Y" and assuming you've opened Loader.swf NOT SDT.swf you should see all sorts of buttons under the different tabs that weren't there before. If you scroll through the costumes there'll be a bunch of items that weren't there before.

Some mods you have to load manually but you do so by choosing Import swf mod (to the left on the Modding tab).

Last edited:

Randomanon666

Potential Patron
You don't open mods with File / Open, nor do you open them by starting them with the Flash player. You load them from within the game. The mods are mostly loaded automatically on startup. Bring up the in game menu by pressing "Y" and assuming you've opened Loader.swf NOT SDT.swf you should see all sorts of buttons under the different tabs that weren't there before. If you scroll through the costumes there'll be a bunch of items that weren't there before.

Some mods you have to load manually but you do so by choosing Import swf mod (to the left on the Modding tab).
Something wrong on my end I think. I've downloaded the sby loader pack, but even as I open it in my file manager, I don't see anything extra underneath the tabs. Same for when I open up animtoolsV26. But I have figured out how to port in skin mods and such from the Flash Player.

DigitalSmutExports

Content Creator
even as I open it in my file manager, I don't see anything extra underneath the tabs
First a little diagnostic: How many moods can you choose between? If it's more than 4 I think everything's fine. If not I assume you've opened SDT.swf rather than Loader.swf. You want to open Loader.swf. If you're doing that and you still don't have more stuff than you did before you'll have to post some screenshots because then I have no idea what's wrong.

Randomanon666

Potential Patron
First a little diagnostic: How many moods can you choose between? If it's more than 4 I think everything's fine. If not I assume you've opened SDT.swf rather than Loader.swf. You want to open Loader.swf. If you're doing that and you still don't have more stuff than you did before you'll have to post some screenshots because then I have no idea what's wrong.
I only had the standard 4 moods. I looked back through my files and saw that it wasn't Loader.swf, so I deleted it. But I'm having trouble trying to find it, all I've come across are SDT to download. I have animtools downloaded, but I can't figure that out either.

DigitalSmutExports

Content Creator
OK.

Super simple. Delete everyhting then redownload the loaderpack. Go into that folder. Don't mess around with anything unless you're sure what you're doing. Open Loader.swf. That's all you have to do.

Last edited:

Randomanon666

Potential Patron
OK.

Super simple. Delete everyhting then redownload the loaderpack. Go into that folder. Don't mess around with anything unless you're sure what you're doing. Open Loader.swf. That's all you have to do.
I deleted it completely and reinstalled it, but now when I open it, all I get is this. The other mods I downloaed also don't show up as swf files.
Capture.PNG

edgelord 3000

Content Creator
Unpack the zip file to somewhere, I suggest the Documents folder. Open the folder you unpacked it to. Right click on Loader.swf, select "Open with", then "More apps" and locate Adobe Flash Player. Make sure "Always use this app to open .swf files" is checked. Then click the OK button.

sby

Content Creator
Coder
there is a shortcut to open the loader with the included standalone flash player for those not savvy with windows.
1550615296410.png

updated loaderpack resource page info with this for future clarity

Last edited:

Randomanon666

Potential Patron
Unpack the zip file to somewhere, I suggest the Documents folder. Open the folder you unpacked it to. Right click on Loader.swf, select "Open with", then "More apps" and locate Adobe Flash Player. Make sure "Always use this app to open .swf files" is checked. Then click the OK button.
I keep downloading the loader, but every time I send it to my documents, there's no option for opening it with Flash player. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. And all of the images in the loader pack are broken and nothing in it is working.

sby

Content Creator
Coder
I keep downloading the loader, but every time I send it to my documents, there's no option for opening it with Flash player. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. And all of the images in the loader pack are broken and nothing in it is working.
you should extract the zipped folder before trying to use files inside of it

DigitalSmutExports

Content Creator

Since your questions have to do with computer basics rather than SDT you could have a look at this Windows 10 tutorial. I'm not sure what you're doing wrong either. Make sure you've actually extracted it and you're not trying to open Loader.swf while browsing the zip file.

Last edited:

Mundane

Potential Patron
I need help with making a character folder:
It all works mostly fine, but the background loads in for a breif moment before going back to the default hallway one.

Wolf357

Avid Affiliate
I need help with making a character folder:
It all works mostly fine, but the background loads in for a breif moment before going back to the default hallway one.
Check your character code to see if it has a "BG" and/or "moreclothingBG" field. That might be causing it.

Randomanon666

Potential Patron
Since your questions have to do with computer basics rather than SDT you could have a look at this Windows 10 tutorial. I'm not sure what you're doing wrong either. Make sure you've actually extracted it and you're not trying to open Loader.swf while browsing the zip file.
I've managed to get it working properly now and I've figured the basics out. I'm just figuring out how to use the animtools positions and such. I appreciate the help you've given me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.