How to save custom characters (1 Viewer)

patsy

Potential Patron
Since errybody seems to be having problems, here's a quick custom character saving guide. Note though that this was written for Windows, I have no clue how file paths work in other OSes, though I do imagine they are similar enough.

First thing is to go to the Modding tab under options, and click the Save Character... button.

hNAa4.png

uOSiS.png

(hair courtesy of http://sdtstuff.co.cc/viewHair/1158/)

Because I put the hair in the same folder as the .swf, the game can find it no problem. So click Save Character and...

1irMl.png

Success!

But what if you don't have the hair in the same folder? Well let's try it and see:

C8g2z.png

(hair courtesy of http://sdtstuff.co.cc/viewHair/1161/)

As you can see, the game won't let you save when it can't find the hair. But don't fret, you can tell the game how to find it. Enter the full filepath to the hair (for this guide, "C:\Flash\SDT\Hairs\1161-kim-pine.png"), or the path to its folder in the default hair box if you keep more than one hair in that folder. Click the arrow button next to the Hair Filepath input to refresh:

fDc6m.png

Alternatively, you can enter relative file paths, if your hairs are in a subfolder of the game's folder:

Fl5OS.png

Do note that the trailing \ is important.

Backgrounds work the same as the hairs, with their own inputs. The background filepath input only appears if you've loaded a custom background before going to save the character though.

So in short, keep all your hairs and backgrounds in the same folder as the game or in default folders and you shouldn't have any problems saving.

Character list backup:
This option exists mainly to import between different versions of the game. Simply save the .sdt file somewhere, and load it in the new version.

The 'Overwrite' function has to do with loading. With it unchecked, the backed up files are just loaded on the end of your character list. With it checked, the entire list is wiped and the backup is loaded.

Last edited by a moderator:

RajasGrime

Content Creator
Give this man a gold medal. Do you think you can add a blurb about the char list back-up? Everything concerning saving custom charcaters would be together in one neat post.

kuroryuu

Potential Patron
This is simple, well explained and detailed. Well done.

...BUT you could include the saving of BG's with the characters, even though does work pretty much like the hair but you could mention something about it atleast. :)

patsy

Potential Patron
Had a blurb about backgrounds, dunno why I removed it. So now it's back. <_<

Also added the char list backup blurb. Any mistakes? >_>

RajasGrime

Content Creator
A BG filepath field will appear only when a custom background was loaded, before beginning to save the custom character.

Just like how a hair filepath field only appears when a custom hair was loaded.

jbee

Potential Patron
Can I delete or overwrite the built-in characters? How is this done? If not through the UI, is there another way?

patsy

Potential Patron
You can delete the characters. Just go to edit them (the pencil icon) and there is a delete character button.

Though editing characters is limited, you can't change anything more than the filepaths and the name. Anything more complex requires saving it as a new character.

jbee

Potential Patron
Where is the pencil icon? I have a pencil icon on the one on the far right, but none on any of the others. How can I turn them on?

[attachthumb=1]

Attachments

• nopencil.png
    nopencil.png
    99.9 KB · Views: 1,487

anonymous

Avid Affiliate
I don't think that's an option. I also don't see that being an option since they are default characters.

fallout666

Potential Patron
Anonymous said:
I don't think that's an option. I also don't see that being an option since they are default characters.

there not option since with out it you can not delete custom save characters.

patsy

Potential Patron
Sorry, I misread the question. Thought you were talking about custom characters.

*smacks self*

fallout666

Potential Patron
Ultros said:
When I click save character, nothing happens. =/
did you make sure both file name in same folder. also got to make sure hair file is same as one for import hair mod. and same for background. see my picture where i have both looking the same.

rufferto

Vivacious Visitor
patsy said:
Character list backup:
This option exists mainly to import between different versions of the game. Simply save the .sdt file somewhere, and load it in the new version.

Thanks for the explanation, I already thought I had lost all of my saved characters...
I never had to use the backup file before, even after downloading a new version.

Now the character backup stopped working properly all of a sudden.
Normally I would start the game and all my saved characters where there, but now I have to load the backup file every single time.
I didn´t delete, rename or move the backup file, it´s still right there in the correct folder.

What can I do, does anybody have the same problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.