[Costume Modding Tutorial] [An Easy Visual Guide] (1 Viewer)

americanole

Potential Patron
If you change the breast size while she's wearing the cut-off shirts, you'll see that the non-breast portions of the shirt change as well. This is done by creating a MovieClip on the chest layer, which has the same number of frames as the breast template. In fact, if you copy the existing breast template onto the chest layer, that breast will follow the breast sliders like the regular breasts.

Oh okay, I see what you mean, thanks, that might be useful at some point.

Those objects have multiple frames. You're only editing the first.

Yeah, you're right, it works now, thanks again.

Huh. I just noticed that those references look suspiciously like grayscale versions of ZSS.

made the template by grabbing pieces from faceless's zero suit samus loader mod xD

americanole

Potential Patron
Definitely made some progress but now stuck on another thing. How do you make a clothing so that top and bottom templates would use 1 colour slider (say, top's)? That can be useful to make RGB-supported dresses and such. Also, how to sort of 'disable' breast slider on your clothing, or set range on it. I've seen it being done in some imports.

Faceless

Content Creator
Tying everything to a single RGB slider requires some ActionScript. See here.

As for breast ranges, the simplest solution would be to change the tween frames. If all the frames are the same, for instance, it doesn't what the breast slider is set to; it'll always show the same thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

americanole

Potential Patron
Faceless said:
Tying everything to a single RGB slider requires some ActionScript. See here.

Thank you, I will look into this and try to figure it out.

Edit:
Wow, it was actually quite easy, can't believe it just works like that, thanks a lot.
I think there was a typo there though so here's how it worked for me, for anyone who might need it in the future.

Code:
import flash.events.Event;
import flash.display.MovieClip;

addEventListener(Event.ENTER_FRAME, followColorSlider);
function followColorSlider(e:Event)
{	

bot.back.rgbFill.transform.colorTransform = top.back.rgbFill.transform.colorTransform;
    bot.chest.rgbFill.transform.colorTransform = top.back.rgbFill.transform.colorTransform;

}
//bot - name of the mod you would like you be dependant on other slider
//top - name of the mod with primary slider
//back/chest - names of the layers/objects (parts of the body) where relevant rgbFill layers are located
//only works one way (whichever is written first), you can't tie 2 sliders together both ways using this

Faceless said:
As for breast ranges, the simplest solution would be to change the tween frames. If all the frames are the same, for instance, it doesn't what the breast slider is set to; it'll always show the same thing.

I think you might have misunderstood me, as far as I understand, the solution you said would simply keep clothing look the same, what I want is in-game breast sliders disabled(set to specific value) when particular top piece is used. The difference would be that if, say, I use shuffle with clothing item which only had regular size and would otherwise go out of bounds, it instead would fix the breast size to the size of top item. Unfortunately, I don't know how and whether it is possible to do that with for the top/bra modtypes as I've only seen old mods having that, for instance, a swimsuit from Grimey Loader Index thread(which isn't seen as clothingtop/bra).

americanole

Potential Patron
Faceless said:
Wouldn't that just be what the char code field is for in the ActionScript?

As far as I understand, charcode would load the particular size just once, when you load the mod. You would still be able to go into loader's second tab and manually set the breasts 'out of bounds', likewise, as you shuffle, the breasts will also change size. What I'm talking about is a little bit different.
<a href="http://www.sdtmods.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2906.0;attach=69790;image">Take a look.</a>

Attachments

Swimsuit.swf
14 KB · Views: 1,074

ModGuy

Content Creator
Either proxy the function that sets breast size and unhook it or simply set the breast size to a fixed value each frame.

Faceless

Content Creator
Or you could just do what I said using the body template. Removing all the non-breast layers, and setting the ActionScript override flag to TRUE would leave the rest of the body alone. You'd be stuck with one skin tone though.

americanole

Potential Patron
Faceless said:
Or you could just do what I said using the body template. Removing all the non-breast layers, and setting the ActionScript override flag to TRUE would leave the rest of the body alone. You'd be stuck with one skin tone though.

I tried that, the problem is, once I do that and then decide to go for different clothing, body won't have breasts at all(reset won't help either). It sort of deletes original breasts and replaces them with the ones I drawn forever and once I switch, they're gone. I was thinking that there might be a way to do it so it only does that with particular clothing is on. Pseudocode for that could be something like
IF top == yourname THEN breast size = 110 AND breast sliders are off.
I mean, that probably is either not possible or hard to do right? (meaning I'd have to do it with loader or another mod rather than clothing?). I just thought there might be some simple solution like for colours.

MG said:
Either proxy the function that sets breast size and unhook it or simply set the breast size to a fixed value each frame.

I'm sorry, thanks for the answer but I'm afraid I can't quite understand you. Which function, where can find it, where to put it or where do I set size for each frame, or where can I learn it all myself.

WillySdt

Avid Affiliate
Hi,
After a year testing all the things in this forum, i've decided to give a try to the costume creation and for that, thanks a lot for the tutorial!

The bottom of my costume is done and i've decided to test it before continuing. After doing all the step of the tutorial, when I open the swf with the loader nothing happen... One thing strange is when I double click on the icon of any mod, the flash player open and normally the font that says "...Open with sdt loader etc.." but when i double click on mine, the flash player open and i see a picture of my mod. What do I do wrong?

walkeroftheocean

Avid Affiliate
Hi, I think I need a little help. I made my first mod in Flash Pro CS6, but when I try to publish it says "Call to a possibly undefined method registerMod". What does that mean, and how do I fix it?

Faceless

Content Creator
It means that you didn't download the ActionScript files, or you did but they're not in the right place. This is what your path hierarchy should be:

Code:
<path to template>/SDTMod.fla
<path to template>/SDTMods/ModElements.as
<path to template>/SDTMods/ModPackage.as
<path to template>/SDTMods/ModTypes.as

icy shower

Content Creator
keep getting this msg
Main, Layer 'Settings', Frame 1, Line 13 1120: Access of undefined property bottom.

read thru the tread, cant figure out

stuntcock

Content Creator
keep getting this msg
Main, Layer 'Settings', Frame 1, Line 13 1120: Access of undefined property bottom.

read thru the tread, cant figure out
You probably have this line in your ActionScript:
Code:
registerMod(bottom);

This line of code seeks an element on stage named "bottom" and tries to include it among the mod elements in the SWF.

However, the actual item on-stage does not have this name. It might have a similar name (such as "bottoms" or "pants") or it might be unnamed.

Solution: change the registerMod statement to match the name of the item. Or rename the item to "bottom".

In general - if you're having trouble with a Flash file, it's much more useful to simply upload a copy of the FLA file and provide us with a download link. Veteran modders can identify, fix, and explain several problems very quickly. And then they can send you back a working file. Merely describing your symptoms is ineffective because we're forced to make assumptions and we may overlook the actual problem (i.e. because you're not yet experienced enough to fully understand or explain the problems that you encounter).

stuntcock

Content Creator
Here is the file
There's nothing here except a scribble. It seems that you've skipped major portions of the tutorial. Perhaps you just wanted to see something show up in-game, as a validation of the basic concept?

That's okay, but you should be aware that Flash modding is not very conducive to instant gratification. Changing a shape or color in the Flash editor doesn't always result in a WYSIWYG change in SDT. Thing get buried under indirection, inherited transformation matrices, ARGB color shifting, layer opacity, etc...

If you're new at this stuff then I'd suggest starting with hairstyles rather than costumes. They rely on similar skills (vector drawing, shading, layering, etc) but they're much less likely to trip you up with compiler errors and instance-naming bullshit.

Anyways - here's a working version of your FLA with a scribble on the right thigh:
MEGA

icy shower

Content Creator
There's nothing here except a scribble. It seems that you've skipped major portions of the tutorial. Perhaps you just wanted to see something show up in-game, as a validation of the basic concept?

That's okay, but you should be aware that Flash modding is not very conducive to instant gratification. Changing a shape or color in the Flash editor doesn't always result in a WYSIWYG change in SDT. Thing get buried under indirection, inherited transformation matrices, ARGB color shifting, layer opacity, etc...

If you're new at this stuff then I'd suggest starting with hairstyles rather than costumes. They rely on similar skills (vector drawing, shading, layering, etc) but they're much less likely to trip you up with compiler errors and instance-naming bullshit.

Anyways - here's a working version of your FLA with a scribble on the right thigh:
MEGA

Alright thanks!

NyehKid123

Potential Patron
I just can't seem to find any issues. There's no problem publishing it, but instead of the bottom, a T-Shirt shows up on the character.

Attachments

Petal1.fla
262.6 KB · Views: 145

Scoopy

Content Creator
Fucking up at what is the first hurdle is telling me I should drop this seemingly simple modding endeavour.

As per part three of the tutorial "Make sure you've deleted all of the reference layers." this is done... However it also deletes the 'artwork' too. Am I just being really fucking stupid or something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.