[Costume Modding Tutorial] [An Easy Visual Guide] (1 Viewer)

SyntaxTerror

Content Creator
As per part three of the tutorial "Make sure you've deleted all of the reference layers." this is done... However it also deletes the 'artwork' too.
Do not delete le ref layers, but transform them in "guides" (right click the ref layer in the list). LIke this they will be kept in the FLA but not included in the SWF.
If your drawings also disapear, it is maybe because you've drawn them on the ref layer?
For example, on the Bottoms template, in the Back layer, there are the "Reference" layer, showing the grey back (that should be removed or changed into a guide), and a "Bottoms" layer where you should draw your costume. You can also add other layers above or below this one if needed.
You should look at konashion's example to see how a proper mod is designed.

Last edited:

PerfectCopyCat

Content Creator
Help pls i want to make outfit too :(. Theres no picture in this tutorial why? What happen?. Is there any tutorial video or any step by step tutorial? Plssssssss!!! :(

Huitznahua

Content Creator
I just looked at the bbcode. The links where still here but due to some modification of the hosting website urls, pictures didn't show properly. Since I've already encountered this kind of situation, I knew that by tinkering a bit the olds url I could find the new ones.

Last edited:

SyntaxTerror

Content Creator
The links where still here but due to some modification of the hosting website urls, pictures didn't show properly
Good job!
Maybe it would be worth to host these pics on undertow, as they are really useful and that Synonymous' guide is barely the only one we have here about Flash basic modding (I learnt with this tutorial, as many others i guess).

hopeless

Potential Patron
hi guys, sorry if this is the wrong place but i saw other people asking for help in this thread..?
i have been following this tutorial trying to make a test outfit but when i try to add the mod to the game, nothing shows up at all. i didn't get any problems when i published the file...

i will just upload the fla here incase anyone is able to see the problem :(
pls don't worry about the actual outfit/hair lol i know it's bad

SyntaxTerror

Content Creator
Hello hopeless
i will just upload the fla here incase anyone is able to see the problem :(
There is nothing in your FLA, you probably uploaded the original template (maybe you forgot to save your work).
By the way, avoid using undertow to host useless things, use an offsite hosting site as filedropper for example.

SyntaxTerror

Content Creator
  1. First, I don't know how you have drawn this, but there are "shapes" not actual drawings. I don't know enough animate to explain this (maybe it is a problem with my version that is not up to date).
  2. Second, you dont use the layers right: each part of the costume is a specific symbol (eg. rightBreast). You have to draw INSIDE these symbols, not on the layer containing it.
  3. Third, you cannot insert templates inside other templates like you did with the Dynamic hair inside the Hair costume one (that is not an hair template by the way, it is rarely used to add hair accessories whose colours should not be modified by the HSL sliders ("Her Hair" tint in the Custom Tab).

My advice is to download Dante's Lovely Ladies and examine a costume mod to understand better how it works, then read again Synonymous' tutorial and try another time.

And please remove the upload in your first post!

hopeless

Potential Patron
  1. First, I don't know how you have drawn this, but there are "shapes" not actual drawings. I don't know enough animate to explain this (maybe it is a problem with my version that is not up to date).
  2. Second, you dont use the layers right: each part of the costume is a specific symbol (eg. rightBreast). You have to draw INSIDE these symbols, not on the layer containing it.
  3. Third, you cannot insert templates inside other templates like you did with the Dynamic hair inside the Hair costume one (that is not an hair template by the way, it is rarely used to add hair accessories whose colours should not be modified by the HSL sliders ("Her Hair" tint in the Custom Tab).

My advice is to download Dante's Lovely Ladies and examine a costume mod to understand better how it works, then read again Synonymous' tutorial and try another time.

And please remove the upload in your first post!

Thank you for your help :) I will try again another time.

superthumb

Potential Patron
Okay, what am I doing wrong? I'm just making some super basic pants (that look like garbage) to try and figure out how to make mods before making more detailed things. I keep getting the error "Symbol 'bottoms', Layer 'Settings', Frame 1, Line 10 1120: Access of undefined property ModTypes." I have it saved in the SDTModding folder. Any help would be appreciated. This is making me feel dumb as hell. I realize these look like crap, just trying to learn how to properly script and publish before I move on.

http://www.filedropper.com/sdtmod1

SyntaxTerror

Content Creator
It means that you didn't download the ActionScript files, or you did but they're not in the right place. This is what your path hierarchy should be:

<path to template>/SDTMod.fla
<path to template>/SDTMods/ModElements.as
<path to template>/SDTMods/ModPackage.as
<path to template>/SDTMods/ModTypes.as

superthumb

Potential Patron
Well, I have the ActionScripts downloaded. So am I not saving correctly? I have zero background in Flash so this is 100% new to me.

SyntaxTerror

Content Creator
I could publish the mod with no problem, but it won't work if you change the instance names of the symbols (eg. replacing "rightCalf" with "rcalf").
SDT won't be able to recognise the different costume parts like this.

To publish, you need to have the 3 needed AS files in a folder named "SDTMods", this is essential.
eg. if your FLA is in the folder "SDT", this folder must also contain a folder named "SDTMods" with
ModElements.as, ModPackage.as and ModTypes.as in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.