[Costume Modding Tutorial] [An Easy Visual Guide] (1 Viewer)

Synonymous

Content Creator
Shit, that template was already drawn on by me. Woops.
Now you've seen my failed attempt at Chocolina :'(

Bahh... I'll find a clean one.

Ok, new ones are up.

dantethedarkprince

Content Creator
Got the new one, and I have to ask, did you draw the new avatar yourself? That's awesome!

OH FUCK YEAH! IT'S ON NOW!
[attachimg=1]

Okay I just started playing around with getting some of my loader mods converted over to official mods. I used the Body template, but when I drew my mod, well copy and pasted, then deleted the reference, dragged it to the main frame, instance named it "body" published, and opened with SDT. I got a surprise! She was invisible, but wearing the costume. What went wrong?

Attachments

• It's on now!.png
    It's on now!.png
    193.2 KB · Views: 7,862

Synonymous

Content Creator
Dante said:
She was invisible, but wearing the costume. What went wrong?
The template that you're modding on (Body) replaces the body parts instead of laying on top.

You want to use the Top and Bottoms templates for clothes instead of that one. Or anything under Templates > Costume.

Also I found the avatar on google images lol

dantethedarkprince

Content Creator
Okay, I got it now. So if I want to modify the forearms and hands as official mods on a costume, I'll have to add a skin layer below the costume element. Shouldn't be too hard. I've actually been working on dynamic hairs... or at least trying too. Practice, practice, practice. Thank you so much for the awesome tutorial, Synon. It really helped alot. I can't believe I.... you know what it's just easier to face-palm it ;D.

Edit

Potential Patron
I've done a little research and it seems there is a way to import .png files into Flash. Not being familiar with flash, does this mean that if someone without Flash got their hands on .png templates they could draw all the individual layers, upload them and then it would be easy for someone with Flash to load them into a mod? Or am I completely wrong?

ModGuy

Content Creator
Edit said:
I've done a little research and it seems there is a way to import .png files into Flash. Not being familiar with flash, does this mean that if someone without Flash got their hands on .png templates they could draw all the individual layers, upload them and then it would be easy for someone with Flash to load them into a mod? Or am I completely wrong?

Should be easy enough, but why give yourself more work?
After importing you'd have less quality than a vector and you'd have to spend time aligning the image against the template.

You'd be better off drawing straight on to the template.

Faceless

Content Creator
Synonymous said:
Dante said:
The template that you're modding on (Body) replaces the body parts instead of laying on top.

You want to use the Top and Bottoms templates for clothes instead of that one. Or anything under Templates > Costume.

Or you could set the REPLACE attribute (or whatever it's called) in the Actions window to false.

Synonymous

Content Creator
Faceless said:
Synonymous said:
Dante said:

Or you could set the REPLACE attribute (or whatever it's called) in the Actions window to false.
mind=blown

Faceless you're a genius, holy shit ;D
[attachimg=1]

Gloves, gloves EVERYWHERE

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 7,401

Shade

Content Creator
I've been working on doing some conversions (Loader to Vanilla) for Dante and I've run into an issue. Basically, her stomach and breasts go missing for no reason. I am using var overwrite:Booleen = false; under the body template settings, but it seems the stomach and breasts aren't included in that.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Edit:
For Bloodrayne I could make the outfit separate bottom and top imports (though in one .swf file), then do the gloves as body and that SHOULD (if I understand how the template/game works) keep her stomach and breasts. For the Bunny girl though, doing it that way would mean people wouldn't be able to load shoes for her...

Attachments

• screenshot0001.png
    screenshot0001.png
    407.2 KB · Views: 788
  • screenshot0001.png
    screenshot0001.png
    348.3 KB · Views: 749

Synonymous

Content Creator
Weird.
Try putting the parts into the Top/Bottoms template first.
Use the body template + overwrite trick for gloves.

Something like

registerMod(top) < Upper here
registerMod(bottom) < Lower here
registerMod(body) < Gloves here

Shade said:
For Bloodrayne I could make the outfit separate bottom and top imports (though in one .swf file), then do the gloves as body and that SHOULD (if I understand how the template/game works) keep her stomach and breasts. For the Bunny girl though, doing it that way would mean people wouldn't be able to load shoes for her...
Wouldn't be able to load shoes? Why not?
Overlapping would be the worst that could happen. That doesn't look like the case here.
Shoes are usually in a seperate layer, in game.

Shade

Content Creator
Synonymous said:
Weird.
Try putting the parts into the Top/Bottoms template first.
Use the body template + overwrite trick for gloves.

Something like

registerMod(top) < Upper here
registerMod(bottom) < Lower here
registerMod(body) < Gloves here

Alright, similar to what I was thinking. Thanks for confirming that for me.

Synonymous said:
Wouldn't be able to load shoes? Why not?
Overlapping would be the worst that could happen. That doesn't look like the case here.
Shoes are usually in a seperate layer, in game.

From playing with my never finished Aya outfit, putting anything on the shoes/bottom template results in the import being kicked off when you try change shoes (unless they're another SWF file). That may have been because I didn't understand what I was doing at the time or using an older buggier/SDT though. Playing with the overwrite may change that too.

Edit:
Just tried it, worked no issue. I have no idea what I was thinking, I was probably getting confused with templates as I had no idea what the differences were when I first starting playing in flash.

sclover13

Content Creator
I'm just going to go on record saying that the back layer should not only supersede the chest, leg, and boob layers but should have a larger area of effect! This could allow static jackets to be placed, unaffected by the breathing, as well as wings, etc.

Also, I'm having the same issue that Dante had with invisible parts... just changing the overwrite variable to 'false' isn't fixing my problem :(

Shade

Content Creator
Which Template are you using to create the outfit in sclover? I can check out the FLA for you if you wish, though I'm more than happy to try troubleshoot here too.

sclover13

Content Creator
Shade said:
Which Template are you using to create the outfit in sclover? I can check out the FLA for you if you wish, though I'm more than happy to try troubleshoot here too.
I'm using the templates provided at the start of this thread, and seem to have remedied the initial problem I had. I now am trying to overcome a couple other issues that I can't quite tackle despite tediously going at it through a somewhat educated trial-and-error.

Maybe you could shed some light on possible solutions given that you have more experience than myself in this area.

Problem 1: As detailed in the included tutorials, to make the breast size changeable for a costume one must animate each frame individually to match the size. I have done this, however, instead of working with the slider the boobs (and corresponding chest) just cycle through as though they were an animation. Why wouldn't it be working properly? The only setting changed is that overwrite has been turned to false.

Problem 2: As per Kona's design, the shoulder is actually part of the back. I'd like the shoulder be part of the upper arm instead, or rather, have the illustrated part of the upper arm to supersede the back. This way I don't have to worry about clipping/breaking issues with the shoulder's intricate design. If this is not possible (which I sadly expect), is there any way to get the variables that indicate the difference between the 3 arm positions? This way I can just make three different back pieces for each arm position and just have them load when the arm is changed.

Problem 3: Is there really no way to override the bounders set for each body part? The back would be improved if it would load entire animations instead of just a cropped area. A good example of why this is needed is so that wings could be drawn right onto the back, as well, things such as open jackets could wrap around and partially cover the breasts.

If anyone has any solutions or work-arounds for any of the above please let me know! The sooner I get answers the sooner I can start turning out costumes ;)

Thanks!

Sovereign899

Potential Patron
Ok I'm using Faceless template and after erasing outlines and pressing F9, there are no lines at all, am i doing something wrong? Plus going back to read guide apprently erases mod unless I undo WTF

dantethedarkprince

Content Creator
@Sovereign899: Do NOT erase the outlines. Right click and set them as a guide. As for there being no lines of coding. Make sure you click on the "settings" layer before you press F9.

@Zoltan: CS3 should be the same, just older.

Zoltan-sama

Content Creator
I have adobe flash CS3 portable
I downloaded the CS3/CS4 tempalete
I followed the insturctions,but didn't work.
This happened
[attachimg=1]

Attachments

• Névtelen.jpg
    Névtelen.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 4,746

dantethedarkprince

Content Creator
Hmm, I guess they are not the same. Seems to me that if you are looking to make costumes, you'll need an upgrade. I recommend Adobe Creative Suite 5 or better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.