[Costume Modding Tutorial] [An Easy Visual Guide] (1 Viewer)

superthumb

Potential Patron
I'll give it another go later. I do have the folders setup correctly like you said (fla is in SDT modding with the SDTMods folder inside of that.) So maybe my problem is just having the parts renamed like you said. rcalf instead of rightCalf etc.

I tried publishing the example.fla and have the same issue. It publishes but I get the same compiler error and nothing loads when I try to open it in game.

SyntaxTerror

Content Creator
Access of undefined property ModTypes
This error is typical of missing AS files folder (look these posts), the solution is always to place the FLA in a folder containing the "STDMods" folder. That is what is called by the first action line: import SDTMods.*; (Animate CC reads: "import the AS settings in the "SDTMods" folder placed in the folder containing the current FLA").

Publishing an FLA with errors will still produce a SWF file, but it won't be working...

5.jpg
1.jpg

Last edited:

superthumb

Potential Patron
Boom! Figured it out from one of the posts in that link. Had to go into ActionScript settings and click the green check mark. Thanks so much!

DigitalSmutExports

Content Creator
Hi.

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with this fla file?

I imported an svg, cut it and pasted it in the Headwear template on the same layer as the shadow shape which was part of the template, named the instance Instance1 and added the line

registerMod(Instance1);

to Settings: Frame 1. When I export to swf the shadowy shape is the only part that's in the swf. I'm using Animate CC 2018. I'm totally new to this so I'm sure the oversight is stupid whatever it is.

EDIT: I'm able to produce functioning mods using the same procedure with single layer templates. I've tried collar and eyewear and been able to make it work. Maybe that's a clue?

Thanks/DSE

Last edited:

SyntaxTerror

Content Creator
Hello.
Can anyone tell me what's wrong with this fla file?
The drawings must be INSIDE the symbol (instance name: "front") not TOGETHER with it in the layer "Headwear Front" (because it will be in the symbol whose instance name is "instance1", and SDT won't look there).

Here's the edited version: headornament - edited.fla
The drawing is misaligned, cos I didn't took time to align it properly (too complex shapes for my shitty PC).

You'd better draw directly on Animate, because Adobe doesn't like SVG and will put loads of "groups" that one need to break appart to edit. Also, the width of lines will be fucked up as well as colour gradients (to cite a few).

Animate handles vectors a bit differently: it needs more nodes to define curves (eg. 8 for a circle vs. 4 in Inkscape) and polygons gets quickly messy if they touch oneanother in the same layer (in Inkscape, there can be only 1 or 2 segments linked to a node, while any number of segments can be linked to a node in Animate).
In Animate, polygons in the same layer interact with others, while it's not the cas in Inkscape. This seems annoying at first, but it makes things simpler with a bit of experience.
By the way, I still hate the way that Animate handles curves by adding nodes to them without being asked for, but I've learnt to deal with it.

Good luck.

Wither

Content Creator
Hey guys, I'm having some trouble here. I'm trying to make a "Prince" outfit based on some references that weren't valid as a request, decided to start with the crown. I've made a very, very simple basic shape to start with just to test if the mod even works, and spoiler alert: it doesn't.

I've uploaded my folder here, can somebody please tell me what I'm doing wrong? I can't get this mod to work regardless of if I try to load it in with the standard mod loading function or MoreClothing, it just won't show up. Help!

UPDATE:
Huge thanks to Samoth for helping me out on the discord, apparently there were a few issues with my mod:
1 - I had the "registerMod();" actionscript in the comments section instead of the actual code.
2 - I'd drawn my item above the HeadWareFront symbol instead of inside it like I should have.
3 - I needed to have my .fla folder in the /SDT/Templates/SDTModdingCS5 directory in order for it to publish correctly.

Now, thankfully, I have it working! Little preview of what I'm working on:
81e454717a.png

Last edited:

shottybrews1519

Content Creator
I finished my mod following the directions under Drawing (deleted reference layers), Scripting, and Publishing. The mods loads in both Vanilla and Loader, however, it makes the skin disappear on the parts that the mod effects. What am I doing wrong?

DigitalSmutExports

Content Creator
I finished my mod following the directions under Drawing (deleted reference layers), Scripting, and Publishing. The mods loads in both Vanilla and Loader, however, it makes the skin disappear on the parts that the mod effects. What am I doing wrong?
I'm guessing you've made a body mod? In that case you need to set overwrite to false in the action script settings. You may also need bodymodpatch depending on what part(s) of the body you've modded.

Try those two things first. If that does the trick - great. If not please upload the FLA and I or someone else will have a look.

shottybrews1519

Content Creator
Sorry to bug again, I just figured out shape tweening and making stuff breast slider compatible. Can anyone help me and figure out why this is happening? I added extra key frames to have a middle reference between the original ones to try to fix the issue before (which was the same thing as before). It fixed it for frames 86-101, but as you can see in the pictures, it gets funky in between.

[USELESS IMAGES REMOVED BY A STAFF MEMBER]

I apologize for the picture overload.

Last edited by a moderator:

SyntaxTerror

Content Creator
I apologize for the picture overload.
Please avoid to upload them on undertow.club as it wastes server space unnecessarily. There are plenty of free image hosting sites (eg. imgur.com).

Concerning the shape tweening, it is very rare to get it to work as intended for breast sliders (at least for me).
Most of the time, it works only with VERY simple shapes (4-6 sides polygons) and the lines are often not where one wants them to be (in fact, it surely works with more complex shapes, but for breast size adaptable mods, the lines need to follow the breasts very closely most of the time, and it's not possible to get this precision with a shape tween).
You can try to use the "shape hints" (cf. Shape tweens ), but here again, things can go bad easily, depending where you put them, where is the first one, if you put them clockwise or counter-clockwise, etc. (at least this was the case on the version of Animate CC I was using, maybe it's better now).

Anyway, as said DigitalSmutExports DigitalSmutExports , it'll be much easier to help you if you upload your FLA (not on undertow.club! try filedropper.com for exemple) so modders will be able to look closely at it (unluckily not me, I dont have Animate CC installed anymore).

Good luck.

Faceless

Content Creator
If you want to do complex shapes, what you're better off doing is actually creating multiple layers, each of which has a simple shape, but which cumulatively overlap for the final complex shape.

SyntaxTerror

Content Creator
im so fucking lost ;-; I can't figure it out with the new interface of adom animate ;-;
Animate 2020 menus are too big, I prefer to use the 2019 version that is much more closer to Flash Pro CS.
Anyway, the style has changed a bit, but the names are the same, with a few exceptions.

Try to setup your workspace like this:
UVyIYYN.jpg

To choose the windows/tabs you need, look in the well named "Windows" menu:
WDXW3FS.jpg

You only need these windows to make SDT mods (I have a bit more than this on the screenshot):
  • Top: Tools
  • Bottom: Timeline, Actions
  • Right top: Properties (+ possibly Colors)
  • Right bottom: Library
Unfortunately, I can't find a way to share my workspace with you.

Good luck.

Apollion

Content Creator
Animate 2020 menus are too big, I prefer to use the 2019 version that is much more closer to Flash Pro CS.
Anyway, the style has changed a bit, but the names are the same, with a few exceptions.

Try to setup your workspace like this:
UVyIYYN.jpg

To choose the windows/tabs you need, look in the well named "Windows" menu:
WDXW3FS.jpg

You only need these windows to make SDT mods (I have a bit more than this on the screenshot):
  • Top: Tools
  • Bottom: Timeline, Actions
  • Right top: Properties (+ possibly Colors)
  • Right bottom: Library
Unfortunately, I can't find a way to share my workspace with you.

Good luck.
Gee thx ^^

Apollion

Content Creator
God damn Why the code don't work :/ can we help me, I can't publish it because it ask me the "rightparen" and i dunno what he talking

SyntaxTerror

Content Creator
God damn Why the code don't work :/ can we help me, I can't publish it because it ask me the "rightparen" and i dunno what he talking
It's likely that you forgot to close a parenthesis or a bracket.

If you click on the error, it'll bring you where the problem is.

If you cannot solve it, upload your FLA somewhere (e.g. FileDropper) so I can have a look.

SyntaxTerror

Content Creator
So...
  1. Case is important: Animate is looking for "registerMod" not "RegisterMod"
  2. If you register "Body", your body template instance name must be "Body", not "nintendo_chan_ams"
  3. You must not delete the symbols inside the layers, they are what SDT is looking for to know what drawings to put on what body part.
    You have to draw on the layers INSIDE the symbol, and delete or make a "guide" of the reference layer.
  4. Don't try to make your first mod on vanilla body layers, it's complicated, better try with a pair of footwear (boots), bottoms (stockings), or a collar for example, you'll try harder layers when you'll know how to make simpler mods.
  5. Here, the clothes will replace the body (the girl with have no arms), so you have to change var overwrite:Boolean = true; to false in the settings of the Body template (in the Actions).
  6. I don't know if it is because I don't have the same version of animate as you, but your drawings are overly complicated: you don't need all these symbols and shapes.

Here's how it should be: http://www.filedropper.com/test_26297
This is one of my simplified templates, so there's no comments in the code and not all the templates are there.
I did only the right arm.

Follow my advice and try something easier first, the learning slope is to steep with Body templates for a first mod.
Try to do the same mod as Synonymous, following all his steps, then you can try harder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.