Do you prefer zako victory, defeat or enjoy both?

• 100% winning!

Votes: 29 14.0%
  • 100% losing!

Votes: 125 60.4%
  • Both!

Votes: 53 25.6%

• Total voters

Dan Druff

Club Regular
Did the original guy retire, and now his wife decided to step in his place? Apparently she is more annoying than the original guy, so he must be enjoying retirement. One big gripe I have with the game is that the infinite combo is gone. You used to be able to slowly punch the enemy because you recover before the enemy does, but now the enemy drops after a few weak hits. The other thing I don't like is the lack of continues. This isn't like the original games where you have credits to continue on the spot. You only have a few lives to complete the stage. If you lose all your lives, you must replay the stage.
So, where are Yasha and Onihime?
They were going to be the bosses of the art gallery stage, but they were replaced by two Diva palette swaps. That sucks.
I've been playing Bare Knuckle III again. It was technically the better game, but more people have fond memories of the second game which was probably the inspiration behind Streets of Rage 4. Onihime is the better twin because she does all of Yasha's moves plus two grab attacks. We really needed this in HD, but the developers did what every brawler developer does and reuse stuff.

Attachments

• Bare Knuckle III 01.png
    Bare Knuckle III 01.png
    30.8 KB · Views: 207
  • Bare Knuckle III 02.png
    Bare Knuckle III 02.png
    29 KB · Views: 223
  • Bare Knuckle III 03.png
    Bare Knuckle III 03.png
    28.9 KB · Views: 224
  • Bare Knuckle III 04.png
    Bare Knuckle III 04.png
    29.4 KB · Views: 195
  • Bare Knuckle III 05.png
    Bare Knuckle III 05.png
    29.8 KB · Views: 189
  • Bare Knuckle III 07.png
    Bare Knuckle III 07.png
    29.3 KB · Views: 179
  • Bare Knuckle III 06.png
    Bare Knuckle III 06.png
    29 KB · Views: 206
  • Bare Knuckle III 08.png
    Bare Knuckle III 08.png
    29.4 KB · Views: 214
  • Bare Knuckle III 09.png
    Bare Knuckle III 09.png
    30.2 KB · Views: 218
  • Bare Knuckle III 10.png
    Bare Knuckle III 10.png
    29.1 KB · Views: 169
  • Bare Knuckle III 12.png
    Bare Knuckle III 12.png
    29.5 KB · Views: 172
  • Bare Knuckle III 11.png
    Bare Knuckle III 11.png
    29.2 KB · Views: 182
  • Bare Knuckle III 13.png
    Bare Knuckle III 13.png
    29.6 KB · Views: 200
  • Bare Knuckle III 14.png
    Bare Knuckle III 14.png
    30.4 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:

lookit

Swell Supporter
Did the original guy retire, and now his wife decided to step in his place? Apparently she is more annoying than the original guy, so he must be enjoying retirement. One big gripe I have with the game is that the infinite combo is gone. You used to be able to slowly punch the enemy because you recover before the enemy does, but now the enemy drops after a few weak hits. The other thing I don't like is the lack of continues. This isn't like the original games where you have credits to continue on the spot. You only have a few lives to complete the stage. If you lose all your lives, you must replay the stage.

I've been playing Bare Knuckle III again. It was technically the better game, but more people have fond memories of the second game which was probably the inspiration behind Streets of Rage 4. Onihime is the better twin because she does all of Yasha's moves plus two grab attacks. We really needed this in HD, but the developers did what every brawler developer does and reuse stuff.
So, I hate Dotemu. :(

summonmint

Avid Affiliate
Onihime & Yasha are the best :D
They even show Onihime & Yasha on SOR4 OST cover image....
In the end it's just a dream.

1589126537110.jpg

Dan Druff

Club Regular
Onihime & Yasha are the best :D
They even show Onihime & Yasha on SOR4 OST cover image.
In the end it's just a dream.
Yasha and Onihime started off as Blaze clones in the first game before donning the bodysuits in the third game only to change into low-cut tops before ultimately being scrapped from the fourth game. Did you notice the way Axel just assumed the position when Onihime grabbed him from behind? It's one thing for Onihime to shove Axel's face into her boobs before flipping him, but he looked really submissive when she grabbed him from behind. For the sake of my headcanon, Axel is probably glad that Yasha and Onihime did not return in Streets of Rage 4. Even though Yasha and Onihime lost in the third game, Axel might not be able to recover if they told the other female enemies that Axel likes being grabbed from behind.

burom

Master of this Domain
That unused Yakuza/thug girl with sunglasses looks pretty hawt tho. I could imagine her throwing off her coat before boss battle

aesopn

Club Regular
Wonder anyone remember the mobile game King of Fighters All-star?

Recently they have introduced a crossover to WWE and some well known characters were made into the game!

And this is the moment, when a meme comes true......

AND HIS NAME IS JOHN CENA!!!!!!!!!

The moment when John Cena ambushes a group of bad gals, you can picture whatever backstory that you can think of :D

Tsukachan

Master of this Domain

Recently they have introduced a crossover to WWE and some well known characters were made into the game!

The moment when John Cena ambushes a group of bad gals, you can picture whatever backstory that you can think of :D

I can't see him, I only saw an invisible person beating up zakos

Snow

Avid Affiliate
I almost never post here, usually and occasionally just lurk and check out some of the art you guys share, but I came across something today that some of you might be interested in. There's apparently a way to extract and edit the frames of characters in Streets of Rage 4 on PC.

You'll need a free tool called SoR4 Explorer, but some are saying that updates are changing how the re-applying of edited frames is done. Anyway, it's definitely something to keep an eye on.

burom

Master of this Domain

Snow

Avid Affiliate
Wow, I see that works. :)

The interesting thing is that these sprites can be edited and re-inserted into the game. Someone's already edited Blaze colors and even swapped her out for a Mai Shiranui sprite (although it is constantly changing shape because the bounding boxes are not the same). If we remember that the bounding and hitboxes cannot be changed (for now), it appears that we can change the sprites for both enemies and players. Enemy hit animations are awful, those are the first things I'd like to see fixed. ;)

Kimblis

Ryonani Teamster

Thanks, very nice. I like her short, straight hairstyle more than the old "afro" style.
The new tank top is nice too.
I am hoping that further updates show even more animations. It seems like there are still a few sprites that have not been updated from this one:
LOTDD Double Dragon Linda Zako Sprite Sheet.png

There is also a "punk" version of this sprite sheet somewhere, if I can find it again. In the punk version, the Linda zako have mohawks and eye masks and miniskirts.

I think my ideal version would be either the new, straight hairstyle or the mohawk, no eye mask, wearing the original leggings rather than the skirt or shorts.

In some versions of this game, there are cutscenes where you can see a defeated Linda zako lying in a pile with the other enemies!

wj1905

Master of this Domain

LOL his head clipped right through that zako's body when he picked her up...

Kimblis

Ryonani Teamster
Here are the cutscenes I mentioned. The first one is found at 21:05 in the first video below. It shows a defeated Linda zako being held by the hair in a seated position while the boss is being interrogated.
LOTDD Cutscene Linda Zako 01.png

This one just shows a Linda zako with some of her fellow henchpeople, threatening the heroes. It is found at 21:48 in the first video below.
LOTDD Cutscene Linda Zako 04.png

This final one shows a defeated Linda zako piled on top of her fellow henchpeople. The heroes wake up one of the enemies to interrogate him. Later, they walk off, completely ignoring the defeated zako as she still lays there! This one is found at 43:30 in the first video below.
LOTDD Cutscene Linda Zako 02.png LOTDD Cutscene Linda Zako 03.png

I also found the mohawk version of the Linda sprite sheet. This one seems to have a few sprites the original did not, and vice versa.
I like the mohawk and the outfit, but not the eye mask.
lindamohawk_by_dafirus_dc3tt7a.png

Here is my rough attempt at creating my ideal version of this zako, with leggings and mohawk but no eye mask:
LOTDD Linda Mohawk Edit Big.png LOTDD Linda Mohawk Edit.png

And here are two video playthroughs of the game with the first version of the Linda zako. Each of these videos are linked to a particularly brutal moment, when two Linda zako in a row are disposed of by being knocked off a cliff, without ever presenting any real threat to the heroes. But each playthrough is full of zako moments, and the heroes have some very brutal and extensive combos. The Linda zako also seem to become stunned very easily, which allows the heroes to unleash their most powerful combo attacks on them at leisure.

Thoughts or opinions?

Dan Druff

Club Regular
Thoughts or opinions?
The month is almost over. I'm due for another griping session, right? We never needed another attempt at Super Double Dragon had Technos given us a female enemy from the beginning, but I suppose paying the original artist to make a new Linda for this game is good. I also appreciate that the person making the game does not have more than one of the same enemy in each cluster. Unfortunately, Linda still only feels like the girl of the group rather than a full-fledged member of the Black Warriors. Her appearance is so inconsequential, and she is always the weakest enemy in the game. Perhaps my biggest gripe is the insistence on sticking to the source material. I think the game could have used more female enemies, but the games only had three: Linda, Daby, and Cleopatra. Double Dragon has lots of big dudes who can lift Billy or Jimmy with one arm or two. Would it have been too much trouble to have a big female enemy? It wouldn't even be out of the ordinary since Technos already had one in the Kunio-kun game. Despite my complaints, Ultimate Double Dragon still looks and plays much better than the actual Double Dragon IV we unfortunately got.

Last edited:

wj1905

Master of this Domain
Here are the cutscenes I mentioned. The first one is found at 21:05 in the first video below. It shows a defeated Linda zako being held by the hair in a seated position while the boss is being interrogated.
View attachment 106194

This one just shows a Linda zako with some of her fellow henchpeople, threatening the heroes. It is found at 21:48 in the first video below.
View attachment 106197

This final one shows a defeated Linda zako piled on top of her fellow henchpeople. The heroes wake up one of the enemies to interrogate him. Later, they walk off, completely ignoring the defeated zako as she still lays there! This one is found at 43:30 in the first video below.
View attachment 106195View attachment 106196

I also found the mohawk version of the Linda sprite sheet. This one seems to have a few sprites the original did not, and vice versa.
I like the mohawk and the outfit, but not the eye mask.
View attachment 106191

Here is my rough attempt at creating my ideal version of this zako, with leggings and mohawk but no eye mask:
View attachment 106193View attachment 106192

And here are two video playthroughs of the game with the first version of the Linda zako. Each of these videos are linked to a particularly brutal moment, when two Linda zako in a row are disposed of by being knocked off a cliff, without ever presenting any real threat to the heroes. But each playthrough is full of zako moments, and the heroes have some very brutal and extensive combos. The Linda zako also seem to become stunned very easily, which allows the heroes to unleash their most powerful combo attacks on them at leisure.

Thoughts or opinions?

Those ladies have some amazing afros. And their dazed stance is so sexy. Yeah, the second video, one was straight up knocked down a cliff and took a nosedive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.