What is the Best Sorage Set-Up for SDT? (1 Viewer)

zzaapp002

Staff
RM Moderator
Hello...

So I noticed that many folks here seem to place their imports in folders and sub-folders or categories.

Based on what I've seen when folks share their .sdt file it seems many do sections like: backgrounds, hairs long, hairs short, etc.

I found it was easier (aka less work) to just place all the imports I'm using in one folder. (The "Mods" folder in the Loader). I use this folder for both Loader Mods and "regular" SDT mods.

(I know of course you need character folders for loader imports but you don't for regular SDT imports as far as I can tell).

Is that a bad architecture that will limit functionality or imports of certain elements? (To use only the one folder).

EDIT -
Is should be said that I do rename the imports I use so that my one folder has some order.

Such as:

"bg Bleach Bedroom Orihime by slientsky" for backgrounds

"mvl Black Widow by TOlive" for hair imports

"dc SuperGirl dark by Mike" for swf imports

jarhead70

Potential Patron
I think it's a matter of taste. Some people go depth first (structure their folders like crazy), others breadth first (put everything, including their cats, dogs, and mice, in one folder ;D).

Is it bad architecture? Depends on who you're asking. Depth 1st people (like me) may commit suicide seeing such architecture, but breadth 1st-ers see completely nothing wrong with it.

Does it hamper imports? AFAIK no, it's just that the imports you post/get from others may not work out-of-the-box. But little tweaking can fix that. As there's no "official" guidelines on how to structure the folders, we are free to define it as we like. Depth 1st-ers most likely don't agree on each others structures. Only when an "official" structure is rammed to their throat do they agree.

So, don't worry about folder structure too much. As long as it work in your end, chances are it'll work in others with a little bit of tweaking.

sourkraut

Potential Patron
zzaapp002 said:
Hello...

So I noticed that many folks here seem to place their imports in folders and sub-folders or categories.

I use a standard layout for each character/set:

.\characters\Tenchi Muyo!
.\characters\Tenchi Muyo!\skin
.\characters\Tenchi Muyo!\hair
.\characters\Tenchi Muyo!\background
.\characters\Tenchi Muyo!\mod

And I make sure the elements match by name in each.

Then I tie together a set of characters for import:

.\characters\Tenchi Muyo!\characters.sdt

or

.\characters\Tenchi Muyo!\characters (static).sdt
.\characters\Tenchi Muyo!\characters (dynamic).sdt

The "characters" folder exists to enable other folders for unassociated content, such as generic backgrounds/mods. Of course, I am not trying to preserve every import and mod by everyone with credits - I am weeding out the ones I don't want and picking what I think is the best of the duplicates.

It works very well, but SDT is not memorizing all base paths correctly in the SDT file at this time, so there is a little awkwardness in creating a new character to add to a set.

Another problem is that the latest build of SDT is not tacking imports on the end of the list anymore, but mixing them in with the default characters (I wish we could hide these, because they are someone else's taste on classic characters rather than accurate representations, so other people will want modified versions and having to scroll through the ones you don't want to get to the ones you do is a minor nuisance). On the other hand, it is free and it is good, so why complain?

sby

Content Creator
Coder
animtoolpositions
backgrounds
character codes
dialogs
hairs
loader mods -> ordered by assigned letter prefix (a=accessory, h=him, c=character, f=functional, i=item)
official mods -> categorized by what is modded (arms, bottom, chest, gag, shoes, collar, costume
settings
other -> templates, guides, notes, decompiles, past mod versions

every single loader mod has a 'character' folder, so i can load them from the loader menu

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.