Creating delays in dialogue w/o cyrillic characters (1 Viewer)

DigitalSmutExports

Content Creator
Hi,

I am currently writing one of two possible endings for my dialogue project and I've run into a problem

I read in the documentation for Dialogdisplayedit by sby sby that it hides lines that are just code and no text. Very nice - empty text boxes drive me mad.

However at the ending of my dialogue I want to fade to black, remove the characters from frame, and cue the end screen and sound effects and I find myself relying on cyrillic characters for the timing of it all. They seem to count as characters towards dialogdisplayedit. Is there some Trigger or other trick that I can use that does nothing but delay the next line for a set amount of time. the dialogue snippet currently looks as follows:

Code:
intro9:"characters talking[intro10]"

intro10:"talking some more ББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББ.[intro11]" {"style":"Thought","set":{"da.bgm.volume":1}}

intro11:"[FADE_BACKGROUND_000000][intro12]БББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББ"{"set":{"da.background.load":"$Resources/BG/NoSpoilers.png"}}

intro12:"[ANIMTOOLS_Zblank][intro13]БББББББББББББББББББББББББББ"

intro13:"[intro13][END_FLASH]ББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББ"

intro14:"[STOP_BGM]"

on intro10 it's not an issue of course, but on 12,13,14 it is.

Can someone offer a solution?

Thanks!

Last edited:

SkyHeart

Casual Client
Hi,
First off, no, I don't think there is such trigger.
The empty dialogue box appears beacause
  1. The line isn't triggers only
  2. The cyrillic character is still a character, it's just that SDT has no idea how to display is.

If all you want to do here is hide the empty dialogue boxes try this:

Code:

intro10:"talking some more ББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББ[intro11_INSTANT]" {"style":"Thought","set":{"da.bgm.volume":1}}

intro11_INSTANT:"[FADE_BACKGROUND_000000][ANIMTOOLS_Zblank][intro14_INSTANT]"{"set":{"da.background.load":"$Resources/BG/NoSpoilers.png"}}

intro14_INSTANT:"[END_FLASH][STOP_BGM]"

What I did here is: moved all your cyrillic characters to the intro10 line and gathered all the triggers in two lines which have the _INSTANT suffix
No empty boxes should appear but that line will stay on screen for a bit...

Basically, the just of it is: If you don't want empty boxes don't make lines that have have only triggers and cyrillic characters

Hope this helps, If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask.
Happy writing!

DigitalSmutExports

Content Creator
Hi,

Thanks for your reply!

The reason I need to use cyrillics is because I can't have all triggers happen at once. The animtools position for example is just the characters moved to outside of the frame. What I want to do is fade to black once all dialogue is done, then remove the characters (so the player doesn't see them disappearing), then fade back to the end title screen.

On intro11_INSTANT fade and position swap happen at the same time and that doesn't work for my purposes. Worst case I'll be stuck with the boxes. Just gonna make a feature suggestion for sby sby here. It'd be great if you could have opacity of the text box defined for each style and not just the one setting in dialogdisplayedit. That way you could make an invisible code only style.

SkyHeart

Casual Client
Hi,
Try to move the fade to right after the text is finished on the line intro10 . The game will fade after the text is played and the cyrillic characters should provide enough time for everything to be black until the line intro11_INSTANT is played. And from what I tried switching positions and fading back to normal doesn't happen at the same time, so the switch is hidden even if you put them on the same line
Code:

intro10:"talking some more [FLASH_000000]ББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББ[intro11_INSTANT]" {"style":"Thought","set":{"da.bgm.volume":1}}

intro11_INSTANT:"[ANIMTOOLS_Zblank][intro14_INSTANT]"{"set":{"da.background.load":"$Resources/BG/NoSpoilers.png"}}

Or if this doesn't work, still put the fade on the line intro10 but insert like a "thank you for playing" line so the box that appears on the next line is at least not empty
Code:

intro10:"talking some more [FLASH_000000]БББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББ[intro11]" {"style":"Thought","set":{"da.bgm.volume":1}}

intro11:"[ANIMTOOLS_Zblank]Thank you for playing!БББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББББ[intro14_INSTANT]"{"set":{"da.background.load":"$Resources/BG/NoSpoilers.png"}}

Last edited:

DigitalSmutExports

Content Creator
Thanks again.

First solution didn't work. It was weird. The game hadn't swapped positions by the time the [END_FLASH] was executed.

Second solution is similar to what I was going go with so I'll use that as a starting point. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.