Character save .sdt file codec (1 Viewer)

The Hacker Known As Snow

Admin
Content Creator
I'm trying view the .sdt Character save backup file. I want to parse the file for keywords and replace them. Example: all my mods used to be in a folder system on my F:\ drive. I've copied my entire sdt folder to another laptop that doesn't have an F drive so SDT can't find any of the hair/BG/mod files. So I want to open the .sdt as a text file using notpad++ and find "F:\new folder\super deepthroat" and replace with something like "C:\Users\Admin\Desktop\Super Deepthroat"

tl;dr I want to edit the .sdt file. Or get my save char file to work from a different drive/directory/computer

stuntcock

Content Creator
Nameless said:
I'm trying view the .sdt Character save backup file.
You can open the files with any hex editor application. I use UltraEdit; notepad++ may require a special plugin.

I want to parse the file for keywords and replace them.
Should be straightforward. The content of an .sdt file is the usual charcode stuff -- attribute:value pairs, delimited by semicolons. The only weird/novel one is shotbyes, which is followed by a lot of unreadable binary nonsense. This is the actual thumbnail image which appears in the character menu. So you should probably leave it alone, and just modify the recognizable (numeric or text) values.

Example: all my mods used to be in a folder system on my F:\ drive. I've copied my entire sdt folder to another laptop that doesn't have an F drive so SDT can't find any of the hair/BG/mod files.
It's possible that your .sdt file actually contains absolute filepaths such as:

customHair:F:\SDTfolder\subfolder\image.jpg;

If so, then you'll need to modify them as you originally suggested. Your post implies that you've tried this already, but you didn't describe any specific errors or roadblocks so I can't offer any assistance.

Alternatively, your .sdt file may contain relative filepaths:

customHair:subfolder\image.jpg;

This is preferable, because it means that we don't need to modify the .sdt file. We just add a default path to the SDT configuration (via the Modding tab of the UI). It's also possible to achieve this result by modifying the .sol file, but that's more difficult and shouldn't be necessary.

Although this prompt appears when you're trying to Save a Custom Character, it is not unique to that character. It's part of the general configuration of the game. Once you've added the necessary path(s), restart the game (just to ensure that the change has taken effect) and then try loading your old .sdt file.

Summary
  • if the .sdt file contains absolute paths, then you'll need to modify them. Please remember to create a backup copy before you make any changes to the original .sdt file.
  • if the .sdt file contains relative paths, then you'll need to add a new Default Path in-game (and ensure that the names/structure of subfolders matches whatever existed on your old F: drive)
  • if you're still running into trouble, then we'll need more information. Consider uploading a copy of the .sdt file itself, as well as the complete filepaths for a few of the images that you're trying to load (just in case there's something simple, such as a missing underscore).

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.