[W.I.P.] Ryona Assassins (Zako/Guro/Ryona) (1 Viewer)

Weoooo

Master of this Domain
Hey so I noticed you hired a voice actress! First off, I actually really appreciate that you went and took the time to hire someone to voice your game instead of either ripping assets or taking from free libraries. I know that sounds weird to say, but since you're running a patreon it's pretty cool that people adding an important part to it get paid for it. This is not always the case.

Secondly, I noticed this because I saw a video you put up with gameplay in it and heard the voice. But it wasn't always there, the...dorus, right? They only cried out sometimes when they were hit or died(since you're a big GGM fan I don't imagine you're gonna go outta your way to make non-lethal options). This makes sense, sure. You don't want people to get inundated with the voice and make it less exciting when it happens. Or, you don't have as many voice samples as you want yet so you're leaving gaps. If it's the second one disregard the rest of this post, keep on truckin', I think it's cool to make a creative effort out of things you find interesting, even if people might find them strange, especially since you're not hurting anyone. Just don't hurt yourself.

BUT if it's the first option, I want to disagree. In fact, I want to offer a counter argument. Having the sounds always play makes things more exciting for the player rather than making them monotonous. Aside from animations, sounds are the only feedback players get in a game. I could write a dissertation length fuckin' post about conditioning and limited interactions especially in action games, but I won't. Instead, I'll just say that sound is part of an almost Pavlovian process for these ryona games, and its constant presence as a reward for action is a big part of their appeal. You want to hear the VO, and that's part of the reward for landing shots, so you like to land shots, cause you want to hear the VO... you know. Even if it's one sample, the effect is the same. It's a direct change and reward for your game action, so it's satisfying.
I have evidence of this. You're a GGM fan so you might be aware of the Vorzen project already, so if you are... that's my evidence. If you're not, here's two links that might intermittently be dead:
http://vorzenpj.dip.jp/top.html
http://www.serversman.net/robot-node/
A long time ago, a dude made little sprite based ryona games. There's two top down shooters where the sprites are very small, and there's only one sound sample for each enemy as they die. But rather than being monotonous, this is a core part of the experience. It's an auditory clue you're doing well, and one that you want to hear. It never gets old.
So don't be afraid to make the dorus moan a lot. People will like it.

Dorumeka

Content Creator
Thanks for that very in-depth piece of feedback, haha. Really!

Well, you'll be very glad to know that those are not even the final voice lines. I'm in the middle of directing the actress so she can better land what I exactly want the voices to sound like. The lack of sounds you hear is because I just have a couple of lines in there for testing purposes. They will be quite talky and noisy hopefully by the end of the month. Stay tuned for that!

Also, what's GGM? hehe. And oh boy, I did not understand the link at all. I ended up playing a fishing game. I mean, what.

Cheers!

Weoooo

Master of this Domain
Last edited:

Weoooo

Master of this Domain
Fuckin' sucks about your hard drive, man. I live in perpetual fear of drives kickin' it on me, even though it's never happened.

I also noticed there's a special animation for the dart gun! I'm very happy about this. I feel like a weird broken record since it's come up in the other threads I post on here, but I really love non-lethal stuff. That probably wasn't what you cared about in Aika and Najica, but yo I sure did. It's good to see.

Dorumeka

Content Creator
Thanks. Yeah, HDD failures are really a catastrophic thing to happen.

If you like the dart gun animations, wait until you hear the voice acting! I've been working very closely with the actress, and she's really making an amazing job.

eyeteeth

Ryonani Teamster
i was away so i couldn't log in, but i also am very sad to hear about your drive! i have had some drive failure scares with my art and it is just HORRIBLE. is the backup service not providing any renumeration?

Dorumeka

Content Creator
Thanks Eyeteeth. So far no luck with that. They don't offer refunds and I kind of lost hope. I'm still trying to find other alternatives.

Weoooo

Master of this Domain
You were right, I absolutely love the voice cues on the dart gun. They're adorable! I think my favorite is 3_2, but all of them are wonderful. She's done really amazing work!
I hope you don't mind me tearing apart the files to listen. I don't mean any disrespect, I dig in to every game I can.

Last edited:

Dorumeka

Content Creator
You were right, I absolutely love the voice cues on the dart gun. They're adorable! I think my favorite is 3_2, but all of them are wonderful. She's done really amazing work!
I hope you don't mind me tearing apart the files to listen. I don't mean any disrespect, I dig in to every game I can.
Thanks! It's okay as long as you respect the actress' work and don't distribute it in a big way. But yes, she's awesome!

Weoooo

Master of this Domain
Thanks! It's okay as long as you respect the actress' work and don't distribute it in a big way. But yes, she's awesome!
I'd never redistribute them. Like I said, I actually super respect your decision to actually go and hire someone to do voice work instead of scrounging free libraries or buying a royalty-free pack; I'm not interested in devaluing her labor. I just know some people like to keep people from looking into their projects.
I guess it was weird for me to air it publicly? Oh well, done is done

Dorumeka

Content Creator
I'd never redistribute them. Like I said, I actually super respect your decision to actually go and hire someone to do voice work instead of scrounging free libraries or buying a royalty-free pack; I'm not interested in devaluing her labor. I just know some people like to keep people from looking into their projects.
I guess it was weird for me to air it publicly? Oh well, done is done
Oh, not at all. Thanks for your interest!

MZZ

Content Creator
So, how is it going?
Is Mission 001 the latest build or test build 4? I'd like to give it a whirl :)

Dorumeka

Content Creator
So, how is it going?
Is Mission 001 the latest build or test build 4? I'd like to give it a whirl :)
Mission 01 is the latest. I took a hiatus because my hard drives failed and virtually lost my data. Luckily, it seems I'll be able to recover most of it very soon.

Last edited:

MZZ

Content Creator
Mission 01 is tha latest. I took a hiatus because my hard drives failed and virtually lost my data. Luckily, it seems I'll be able to recover most of it very soon.
Thanks for the update!
Looking forward to where this game is going :)

eyeteeth

Ryonani Teamster
Mission 01 is the latest. I took a hiatus because my hard drives failed and virtually lost my data. Luckily, it seems I'll be able to recover most of it very soon.
oh? that's good news! data recovery service? those can be pricey

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.