If VR is the future , will this be the end for ryona ? (1 Viewer)

RyonaDamsels

Ryonani Teamster
I know that it will have a high percent to end being only a gimmick just like motion control games , touchscreen games , 3D games and other gimmicks that isn't a primary factor in gaming

But if VR technology turned out to be a huge hit and became a main thing in gaming industry , will this be the end for ryona? As we all know that The potential for all VR games are all to be in first person view so if VR became the normal thing for gaming then third person games would be a thing for the past and therefore erasing any potential for future ryona

So what is your opinion of VR and its chances of affecting ryona if it became the normal for gaming industry ?

eyeteeth

Ryonani Teamster
if VR really catches on very well there will probably be a lot more firstperson games for a while, but after a while people will get bored with that and the designers will find out new things to do with the technology which means pretty soon we would have VR 3rd person ryona!

EvilDraconis

Ryonani Teamster
3rd person action games are one of the most popular genres right now, despite all of them playing almost identically. there would be no reason for them to go away. even if it does catch on it'll be something that's just an addition to games, i hardly see it replacing actual video games. sort of like how the incentive to buy shit on PC is for the graphics/moddability.

Psythe

Potential Patron
In addition to what Eyeteeth and EvilDraconis have said, I think two other points really apply here:

1 - With the internet and ever more advanced computing power, any person or group with programming expertise and graphic design capability can create a video game with whatever content they want, including ryona. That right there means that ryona in games will never die so long as there are people who meet those criteria who also like ryona, and want to put in the time and effort to make content.

2 - Whether or not high budget A or AAA titles have ryona or are in third person will depend on any of a number of factors, all boiling down to where the money is, since the aim is to make as much money as possible per release. But as EvilDracois says, I don't see third person games, or at least games with a choice between first and third person(A nice middle ground I think) going away any time soon for big time developers.

I think it's important to distinguish between actual VR, and the mostly primitive bulky headsets that barely approximate virtual visuals of the past 30 years or so. Until recently the technology just wasn't up to scratch. I think VR itself isn't a gimmick, and will inevitably be a huge part of future technology and video gaming, but there is no reason for it to be restricted to first person. VR just means you 'experience it like you're actually there' to put it simply. Doesn't mean you have to look through the eyes of the main character, that's just the easiest conceptualization.

There's actually not a single thing that gets me more excited for the future of video games, and kink in a virtual setting(including ryona), than VR. Think of Second Life for example: in that case you have essentially a framework that anyone can build upon and cater to any niche they want(at least mostly), all contained in the same virtual world. Part of the result has been all sorts of kink-related interactive stuff springing up: working restraints, dungeons, traps, games-within-a-game etc, in addition to the mountains of non-BDSM/kink content also created, mostly made by individuals expressing their interests, independent of publishing restrictions and money making goals. And the number of instances of this is growing all the time, along with the growth of graphics/physics capability.

Now to be clear I'm not praising Second Life so much, it has quite a few problems, probably even in comparison to current 'virtual world' alternatives like OpenSim, just using it as an example. If you take some of the principles and apply it to VR immersion(or even a computer monitor) and graphics rendering and physics that maybe a 2025-2030 era computer could create and or stream across a network, you have the nearly endless potential for user generated high quality content that dwarfs anything we see today(including third person ryona) all occupying a common space in certain cases, and stand-alone games in others in the form of modding, and mostly only limited by people's development skill and imagination.

Now the reason I focus on indie development so much here, is because just as it's always been I don't really see great potential for ryona in the mainstream, because the meanstream developers have to appeal to, and not offend, a wide audience in order to make their millions per game, though we'll undoubtedly get the occasional treat here and there.

In short: all signs for me point toward the future of ryona being just fine.

EvilDraconis

Ryonani Teamster
why is that? because he wants to use it to make money in other areas? it was obvious that was going to happen as soon as the occulus started to get popular. unless, for some hilariously stupid reason, facebook decides that they're going to make it closed as fuck and not let developers use it, there's no reason that it won't be utilized for video games. they would have to be SERIOUSLY stupid to do that considering not only the hype around it for video games, but the fact that sony and a ton of others are trying to get in on the bandwagon as well.

RyonaDamsels

Ryonani Teamster
I think even if developers finds a way to insert a VR gameplay into video games (which would be at least at the end of this generation) it would be a special mode in the game but it won't be the core gameplay of the main game , at least for now there is no way developers will risk cornering themselves into the small base that will have VR devices (look at kinect-only games in 360 and question how much success they gained).

Regarding Facebook purchasing VR Oculus , I heard that they purchased the technology of the 2nd generation for the VR device from oculus not the 1st generation one that was crowdfunded through kickstarter and was used in some steam games , I am not sure so correct me if i am wrong

Psythe

Potential Patron
@Boundy22 I believe Facebook acquired the Oculus VR company as a whole, which would mean they own whatever the company puts out, or has put out, that is still copyrighted by Oculus.

bryanthunder

Ryonani Teamster
I don't think VR headsets like the Oculus Rift or Sony's Project Morpheus will the be-all-end-all for "traditional" gaming.
I think, that much like motion control, and touch control, VR is another (fascinating) avenue for interactive entertainment development and exploration. Within our life time, there will always be a demand for more traditional or classic forms of games and entertainment. After all, despite the advent of 3D technology, people still make 2D platforms. In a similar vein, despite the rise of motion control, or simple touch screen interfaces, people still crave classic controller/keyboard and mouse based games.

It's a bit of a knee-jerk reaction to think that one advancement or change in the technological forecast will doom everything you know about your games.

Locusta

Vivacious Visitor
I'm tech-illiterate, which may explain my extreme tech-optimisms .. :p
I expect the limits of VR technology to rapidly dwindle, until we are offered a universal platform where we are free to experience whatever we want with whomever we connect to. My fingers are crossed for an exponential growth curve!
I expect, and have been promised, a tower ..a city ..an empire. I will collect!
I'll wait for you and yours there, for unlimited death!

Zombie

Potential Patron
If VR will be the Hype i don't think third person will go away.

I seriously doubt that VR wil be SUCH a success that ALL developers will use it in there games.
So there is no need to stress over it.
And if Ryona Developers ARE going to use it, Then it will be GREAT to "feel" that you where experiencing the rape/torture. (or even BE the rapist/Torturer) I want to see how it will end.

Lets not hope an other "Xbox 360 kinect fail"

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.