Help needed - Blade & Soul NA/EU costume modding (1 Viewer)

PrincessNicky

Content Creator
I've been away from BnS for ages, but it's great to see stricq's UPK Manager released.
I thought I'd give it a quick try with one of my previously done mods, but I can't seem to get anywhere.
No doubt it's just me failing to understand what I'm meant to be doing.
I get this error (twice) when trying to rebuild the file with my mod:

wxdNxzR.jpg

I don't really understand what it's trying to tell me, but I did notice my exports folder is Read-only and wondered if this was why access was denied. However, even though I can uncheck the Read-only box in Properties and Apply it, when I look at it again it's re-checked automatically, so I guess I'm not actually succeeding at removing the Read-only. As far as I can see I have full permissions to change the folder, so I don't understand why I can't do it. Then again it might not be the problem.
Any suggestions to get around this error please?

stricq

Club Regular
I've been away from BnS for ages, but it's great to see stricq's UPK Manager released.
I thought I'd give it a quick try with one of my previously done mods, but I can't seem to get anywhere.
No doubt it's just me failing to understand what I'm meant to be doing.
I get this error (twice) when trying to rebuild the file with my mod:

wxdNxzR.jpg

I don't really understand what it's trying to tell me, but I did notice my exports folder is Read-only and wondered if this was why access was denied. However, even though I can uncheck the Read-only box in Properties and Apply it, when I look at it again it's re-checked automatically, so I guess I'm not actually succeeding at removing the Read-only. As far as I can see I have full permissions to change the folder, so I don't understand why I can't do it. Then again it might not be the problem.
Any suggestions to get around this error please?

It looks like you have an older version. The "mod" folder doesn't exist and the program is not creating it. The current version will create it. To get past that error, just create the "mod" folder in the path.

PrincessNicky

Content Creator
Now I have a new error.
When I got home there was a small game patch, once that was done I created the missing "mod" folder and tried running UPK Manager again.
But now it throws up this error after a couple of minutes trying to create the database, so I can't even get as far as trying to rebuild my mod:

RfHLoQ9.jpg

I tried waiting a few minutes as suggested and I tried rebooting my PC, but I just keep getting the error.
Please can you tell me what I've done wrong this time?

stricq

Club Regular
Now I have a new error.
When I got home there was a small game patch, once that was done I created the missing "mod" folder and tried running UPK Manager again.
But now it throws up this error after a couple of minutes trying to create the database, so I can't even get as far as trying to rebuild my mod:

RfHLoQ9.jpg

I tried waiting a few minutes as suggested and I tried rebooting my PC, but I just keep getting the error.
Please can you tell me what I've done wrong this time?

My house lost power today. Maybe it was during the that time frame. Try again, see if it's still happening.

PrincessNicky

Content Creator
My house lost power today. Maybe it was during the that time frame. Try again, see if it's still happening.

I've just tried again and now the database is loading up just fine, however despite creating the "mod" folder I'm back with the first error:

eATfjrY.jpg

I notice that even the "mod" folder I've created has decided to label itself Read-only and I can't seem to alter it, though again I don't know if that's significant.

stricq

Club Regular
I've just tried again and now the database is loading up just fine, however despite creating the "mod" folder I'm back with the first error:

eATfjrY.jpg

I notice that even the "mod" folder I've created has decided to label itself Read-only and I can't seem to alter it, though again I don't know if that's significant.

Windows write protects everything in the Program Files and Program Files(x86) directories by default. You can do two things. Either run the program as administrator or reinstall the game to a different directory/drive letter.

PrincessNicky

Content Creator
Yay, finally got a mod to work :)
It threw up this message when BnS was loading up, but it carried on loading afterwards:

ugtDGha.jpg

I made this mod back when the game was in cbt, but could never actually use it in game, it's great to finally see it there!

pSfkaU8.jpg

This one is also working...

djnVIbt.jpg

Next question... how do I identify which UPKs contain costume textures I want?
I don't see any preview images under the Texture View tab, yet I'm sure there is a way to preview?

Last edited:

stricq

Club Regular
Next question... how do I identify which UPKs contain costume textures I want?
I don't see any preview images under the Texture View tab, yet I'm sure there is a way to preview?

That popup while the game is loading is normal.

Select a upk file then switch to the File Tables tab. There you can click on each Texture2D object and they will display in the Texture View tab.

Also, I love your mods. I invite you to upload them on my site. :smile:

PrincessNicky

Content Creator
That popup while the game is loading is normal.

Select a upk file then switch to the File Tables tab. There you can click on each Texture2D object and they will display in the Texture View tab.

Also, I love your mods. I invite you to upload them on my site. :smile:

I'll start a topic for UPK Manager mods here and repeat it on your site. So far I've been able to rebuild 5 of my modded costumes into the game, but those were straightforward since the correct UPK folders had already been identified in your database.
I've several other finished mods that I'll have to track down the UPK folders for before I can get them into the game and after that there's many more costumes I can look at modding.
Modding BnS costumes is horribly slow though, so I'm not really expecting to turn out loads of new mods quickly, besides for a lot of costumes there's not actually much you can mod before basebody clipping becomes a problem.

PrincessNicky

Content Creator
I wonder if I'm missing a trick here... is there a listing somewhere of the BnS UPK files and the corresponding costumes contained in them?
I know some have been identified in the UPK Manager database, but finding anything that isn't already labelled is proving to be a complete nightmare.
I've spent about 2 hours so far just looking at file after file hoping to see something I recognise and basically got nothing useful.
I was hoping for at least one success in 2 hours of hunting, like the Pioneer costume files among others, but it feels like looking for a needle in a haystack.

stricq

Club Regular
I wonder if I'm missing a trick here... is there a listing somewhere of the BnS UPK files and the corresponding costumes contained in them?
I know some have been identified in the UPK Manager database, but finding anything that isn't already labelled is proving to be a complete nightmare.
I've spent about 2 hours so far just looking at file after file hoping to see something I recognise and basically got nothing useful.
I was hoping for at least one success in 2 hours of hunting, like the Pioneer costume files among others, but it feels like looking for a needle in a haystack.

That's the reason I added the ability to add comments on the upk files. Over on Blade and Soul Dojo I see lots of threads where people are asking for upk files of specific costumes, so I think that's the only way to find them is by luck right now.

PrincessNicky

Content Creator
With 7 mods loaded up I'm having terrible stability problems with the game, it keeps randomly shutting down. It can happen within seconds of getting in game, but most frequently seems to occur when starting to interact with an NPC.
I removed 5 of the 7 mods and problem reduced but didn't go away.
With BnS merrily throwing you out of instances when you get disconnected, this is annoying.

stricq

Club Regular
With 7 mods loaded up I'm having terrible stability problems with the game, it keeps randomly shutting down. It can happen within seconds of getting in game, but most frequently seems to occur when starting to interact with an NPC.
I removed 5 of the 7 mods and problem reduced but didn't go away.
With BnS merrily throwing you out of instances when you get disconnected, this is annoying.

There is a program called bnsark. I haven't used it but I've read that you can turn off "Texture Streaming" and that fixes the random crashes.

PrincessNicky

Content Creator
There is a program called bnsark. I haven't used it but I've read that you can turn off "Texture Streaming" and that fixes the random crashes.

I got BnSArk and it does exactly what you said. You should recommend it (and provide a link) along with your UPK Manager since it's really needed to ensure the game stays stable with mods running.
Now that I've got a stable game again, I should be able to get screenshots of the mods I've got so far and get them posted with the texture files.

stricq

Club Regular
I got BnSArk and it does exactly what you said. You should recommend it (and provide a link) along with your UPK Manager since it's really needed to ensure the game stays stable with mods running.
Now that I've got a stable game again, I should be able to get screenshots of the mods I've got so far and get them posted with the texture files.

Excellent. I thought I figured out the streaming problem this weekend but when I read into it further, it doesn't seem to be the case. Still working on it.

Y

Yokata

My program can not find this file VerisionInfo_BnS.ini
And in the directory it is not because of my mistake and I can not work.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rwby

Potential Patron
My program can not find this file VerisionInfo_BnS.ini
And in the directory it is not because of my mistake and I can not work.
My solution is just it with BnS English version, then find the " mod " folder and copy it to other BnS servers, usually work for me.

Jedimaster711

Potential Patron
I'm brand new to modding and am unable to rebuild the altered files back into the game, I have the Path to game set to "C:\Program Files (x86)\NCSOFT\BnS\contents\" and the export path set to a folder on my desktop, but when I select the modded .dds files and click rebuild, they don't change in the game files, what am I doing wrong? I'm guessing I probably missed a simple step

stricq

Club Regular
I'm brand new to modding and am unable to rebuild the altered files back into the game, I have the Path to game set to "C:\Program Files (x86)\NCSOFT\BnS\contents\" and the export path set to a folder on my desktop, but when I select the modded .dds files and click rebuild, they don't change in the game files, what am I doing wrong? I'm guessing I probably missed a simple step

You may need to run as Admin. You can also check to see if the mod directory was created in the same directory where all the *.upk files are stored.

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.