Tera: UtHelper Export/Import Issue (1 Viewer)

Uiridium_Chimera

Swell Supporter
I cannot seem to get UtHelper to properly export or import certain types of textures, such as diffuse maps for the legs and hands, specular maps for the legs and hands, or normal maps for the hands.

It also cannot show previews for these types of textures, and it just pops up and error message saying "Stream read error."

Does anyone know how to manipulate these textures properly? Is there any other way I can export/import these textures from their .gpk files?

PrincessNicky

Content Creator
I cannot seem to get UtHelper to properly export or import certain types of textures, such as diffuse maps for the legs and hands, specular maps for the legs and hands, or normal maps for the hands.

It also cannot show previews for these types of textures, and it just pops up and error message saying "Stream read error."

Does anyone know how to manipulate these textures properly? Is there any other way I can export/import these textures from their .gpk files?

Some of the files have always been that way, in particular GPKs which group together the first 15 or so armor sets for a specific class and armor type. The main body (chest piece) is fine for each one, but the gloves and boots don't open.
There has never been a fix for this that I know of.
I never had any problems with any of the Event costumes though, nor any of the single armor additions made later for the game.
It's worth noting that in most cases you can modify little or nothing of gloves and boots without revealing basebody clipping underneath (invisible skin texture under the marterial), so you're not really missing much by being unable to work on those textures.

Uiridium_Chimera

Swell Supporter
The issue is that I was trying to create an update for the Nude Elin cloth mod (Popori_F_R.gpk) from here:
https://www.undertow.club/threads/tera-costume-mods-elin-nude.2876

...to fix the issues it has with the ninja update that caused all ninja armors to be invisible because they injected their outfits into that .gpk file. But no matter what I tried I ALWAYS ended up with invisible groins and large gaps where the legs met the body.

Since on my last attempt I literally just exported EVERY SINGLE texture from the old patch and reported them one by one into a fresh up to date unedited copy of "Popori_F_R.gpk" I just assumed that there was some alpha'd out sections on the leg's diffuse maps that needed to be patched. I couldn't think of anything else that could possible be wrong...

Also since the gloves and boot textures seemed ROYALLY screwed up in a lot of cases this seemed like it further supported my suspicion that I needed edited versions of the boots and gloves diffuse textures.

78zWRAO.png
<- WTF is that???

My first attempt for this is detailed here:
Tera - Costume mods & Elin Nude

I wrote some notes on my second attempt here:

I gave up and posted this thread after spending hours yesterday trying to figure out WTF was wrong... T_T

Also a similar issue arose for gunner armors:
Any old mod that edited "Castanic_F_H.gpk" or "Highelf_F_H.gpk" has the same issue as the elin ninjas: invisible bodies because the textures were injected into the .gpk files for the new classes, and thus an old version of the file lacks those textures.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*I didn't know that leg textures couldn't be edited - that kinda sucks.

I was planning on trying to alpha out the absurd high heel spikes that are on 99% of all elin footwear... =.=

Last edited:

PrincessNicky

Content Creator
The issue is that I was trying to create an update for the Nude Elin cloth mod (Popori_F_R.gpk) from here:
https://www.undertow.club/threads/tera-costume-mods-elin-nude.2876

...to fix the issues it has with the ninja update that caused all ninja armors to be invisible because they injected their outfits into that .gpk file. But no matter what I tried I ALWAYS ended up with invisible groins and large gaps where the legs met the body.

Since on my last attempt I literally just exported EVERY SINGLE texture from the old patch and reported them one by one into a fresh up to date unedited copy of "Popori_F_R.gpk" I just assumed that there was some alpha'd out sections on the leg's diffuse maps that needed to be patched. I couldn't think of anything else that could possible be wrong...

Also since the gloves and boot textures seemed ROYALLY screwed up in a lot of cases this seemed like it further supported my suspicion that I needed edited versions of the boots and gloves diffuse textures.

78zWRAO.png
<- WTF is that???

My first attempt for this is detailed here:

I wrote some notes on my second attempt here:

I gave up and posted this thread after spending hours yesterday trying to figure out WTF was wrong... T_T

Also a similar issue arose for gunner armors:
Any old mod that edited "Castanic_F_H.gpk" or "Highelf_F_H.gpk" has the same issue as the elin ninjas: invisible bodies because the textures were injected into the .gpk files for the new classes, and thus an old version of the file lacks those textures.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*I didn't know that leg textures couldn't be edited - that kinda sucks.

I was planning on trying to alpha out the absurd high heel spikes that are on 99% of all elin footwear... =.=

I've never been interested in modding costumes for Elins so I can't give you much specific help for that race in TERA, however in the image you posted here it looks to me that you may have accidentally saved a DXT1 texture as DXT5 (or vice versa).
In TERA both formats get used almost equally and you can't even guarantee that all parts of a costume will be in the same one, but it's important that you check which format a texture file is before you start modding and make sure your saved changes stick to the same format.
I was still active in TERA when the Gunner came out and had no difficulty updating the revised GPK files to include older mods plus new mods I made for the gunners and fixing the issue of floating heads on invisible bodies.
I did the same thing when the Brawler came out too, there's even a topic of mine kicking around on the site somewhere with my Brawler mods for people to use.
It should therefore be just as possible to rework old Elin mods into the newer GPKs to overcome the issues with the Ninja, but I've no work of my own to share with you to make that job any easier.

Uiridium_Chimera

Swell Supporter
Ug, that would explain a lot. I've been using DTX5 as I always do. I WAS wondering if my problem was something stupidly simple that I overlooked... :/

I'll try using DTX1, thanks...

/facepalm

Example:
Untitled.png

I mean it doesn't REALLY matter since everything is working fine important and exporting with .DDS, I was just wondering what's up with that.

Are they being converted back to .TGA on import and converted to .DDS on export or something...?

Last edited:

PrincessNicky

Content Creator
Ug, that would explain a lot. I've been using DTX5 as I always do. I WAS wondering if my problem was something stupidly simple that I overlooked... :/

I'll try using DTX1, thanks...

/facepalm

Example:
View attachment 58349

I mean it doesn't REALLY matter since everything is working fine important and exporting with .DDS, I was just wondering what's up with that.

Are they being converted back to .TGA on import and converted to .DDS on export or something...?

I can't help you with technical stuff, I'm a geekette for sure but my abilities in modding don't include understanding how or why it works.
I just try to learn the techniques and use whatever tools are available so that I can create my mods and use them in-game.

Uiridium_Chimera

Swell Supporter
My problem ended up just being that I was starting from the NA versions of the files where the edits I was trying to port relied on the uncensored JP/KN versions. *Facepalm*

I got it all working, posted it here:
Tera - Costume Edits + Misc. Stuff

Thanks for the help and info anyways, it's still good to know. ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.