1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MASSIVE FPS boost from loading in animated_earth_first animated background.

Discussion in 'Help' started by Hank East, May 28, 2016.

1. Hank East

Hank East Swell Supporter

OK this isn't really an issue or something I need help with, but I'm curious: Why did I get an utterly massive FPS boost from loading in the animated_earth_first BG that was in the archive? I only got this FPS boost from that particular BG and it persists even after changing backgrounds.

I've added the mod to this post in case anyone wishes to test it out for themselves.

Attached Files:

2. stuntcock

stuntcock Club Regular Staff Member Moderator

The way in which the Loader calculates FPS is a messy kludge, which assumes that a visual update will occur only after the SDT graphics have been re-drawn for each frame.

When there's a full-stage element in the scene with its own internal animation loop, the Loader' FPS calculator gets confused and it reports an unreasonably high number. The actual game performance will not improve (or at least -- it should not improve, and does not improve on my PC).

Maximize your game window, switch to high quality, add a few semen strands, and try moving the characters around quickly. You'll probably observe that the actual animation is very choppy, but the FPS number still gets reported as >100.

3. Hank East

Hank East Swell Supporter

Yeah I didn't notice much performance improvements, which got me even more curious as to why the FPS were apparently going out of control.

Thanks for the reply, Stuntcock.