[Guild Wars 2] A possible new way to mod Guild Wars 2 that is quite promising. (2 Viewers)

Daedalus

Content Creator
I've also tried to edit that dds. No change in the game though.
Yes, maybe it's the wrong encoder. There is also that intel one. Maybe that will work? Can you try it pls? I'm not at home right now. :)
What do you mean with "intel one"? There's only 1 dds file in the mod folder as far as I can see.

*EDIT* When messing around with the Nature's Oath outfit, I noticed the lighting on the skin acting weird, like being blocky and all. So I redid it and cycled through the textures with ctrl+F3. That's when I saw that only the armor could be selected. And when I imported that into Blender and removed the vertices and exported it back and loaded it, the lighting on the skin remained unchanged.
Nature's Oath seems like the best candidate for a practically nude toon.

Last edited:

Vergil

Content Creator
I mean you can save the dds with the nvidia plugin and with the intel plugin for Photoshop. You need the intel one for resorep textures for example.

Daedalus

Content Creator
Managed to get the skirt part of the Daydreamer's Finery outift out of the way by also removing the gauntlets. I've tried previously to remove the skirt and leave the gauntlets but that had no effect in the game. Seems those two are linked somehow.

DDF01.png

Daedalus

Content Creator
Some more experimentation:
Altering body proportions (eg bigger boobs) messes with the light on the body.
bodymod03.png
bodymod04.png

Also a 'seamline' becomes visible on the abdomen after modifying
bodymod01.png
bodymod02.png

Maybe someone better versed in the use of Blender can fix this (blender n00b here; doing the best I can with what knowledge I possess of the prog :confused: )

Vergil

Content Creator
To fix the normal (light) problem, just check the "Reverse Normal Components" in the Game Profile options of ModelMod.

Vergil

Content Creator
Sure thing!
Hmm, is it another armor that you have to capture? Or do you have problems in blender?

Daedalus

Content Creator
Capturing isn't an issue. It's the armor parts on the arms of the Daydreamer's Finery outfit. You have to make different mods: chest, skirt & legs; the body itself (if you want to alter sizes) and the arms. Each mod must be created separately. If you put them into 1 single mmobj file, you'll get weird clipping effects.
For some reason I can't seem to remove those arm parts. I can delete the vertices in Blender just fine, but no change ingame.
Also, the neckpiece is a headache. Only the front part is visible in Blender. So when I remove that, the triangular part with the glowing gem (or whatever it is) is gone but the rest of the neck part remains.

*EDIT* Did you already had a look at that intel dds thingy yet to see if that works?

Last edited:

Vergil

Content Creator
I see what the problem is, I've experienced that already. If you delete all verts in blender for one mod file the mod will not work. Just make the arm parts very small and hide them inside the arm, or delete most of the polys and hide the rest somewhere.

I did not tried the intel plugin, yet. Working on my game has higher priority.

Daedalus

Content Creator
I've switched to the Nature's Oath outfit. I downsized the necklace part to hide it in the chest

Nature's Oath.jpg

In the character selection screen it's still visible, but when ingame it's gone. All that remains now is that dds.
*EDIT* Using GIMP, I've tried editing the dds in the Nature's Oath mod folder and exporting it with every compression option in the list (+ generate mipmaps) but no change ingame :frown:

Last edited:

lucius

Potential Patron
ModelMod does not replace textures by default, you need to edit text file to do that.

from ModelMod's Docs/userguide on github :

If you want to use different textures, you can edit the XXMod.yaml file and set textures as follows:

Type: Mod
Tex0Path: mybasetex.dds
Tex1Path: mynormalmap.dds

(as far as I remember, Tex1Path aka normal-map texture does not work with GW2, only Tex0Path does)

Also, is there a risk of being banned with such mod? Did WoW/BDO/other games banned people for this kind of modding?

Daedalus

Content Creator
ModelMod does not replace textures by default, you need to edit text file to do that.

from ModelMod's Docs/userguide on github :

If you want to use different textures, you can edit the XXMod.yaml file and set textures as follows:

Type: Mod
Tex0Path: mybasetex.dds
Tex1Path: mynormalmap.dds

(as far as I remember, Tex1Path aka normal-map texture does not work with GW2, only Tex0Path does)

Also, is there a risk of being banned with such mod? Did WoW/BDO/other games banned people for this kind of modding?

I'll try that but is it editable with notepad? Or do I have to change the extension?

There is a risk of being banned. I don't realy know Anet's stance on modding, but STO and BDO 'silently' allow it as long as it doesn't hamper other players.

lucius

Potential Patron
I'll try that but is it editable with notepad? Or do I have to change the extension?
It's editable, there's many ways to open it with notepad without changing extension (like "open with..." from right-click menu or just Open from notepad itself)

Just remember that ModelMod only changes texture of specific mesh (unlike texmod with replaces it everywhere)

You can also make parts of texture transparent instead of deleting mesh in Blender (I think ModelMod has special delete mode instead of replace, but I don't remember if it's functional)

Daedalus

Content Creator
I was planning on getting those 'shorts' out of the way and adding the usual female attributes. But I'm stuck as I have no idea what kind of compression is used for the dds. The last compressions I tried YCoCg (DXT5) & YCoCg scaled (DXT5) made her boots disappear.
I'm learning Blender on the fly so there's still a lot I don't know about it.

lucius

Potential Patron
I'd just use same compression as original (regular DXT5 aka BC3, not YCoCg), probably without mipmaps but I don't think it matters.

To capture clear texture of skin you can try opening preview of Priory Historian armor of different weight than your class normally wear (e.g. Light armor for ranger, only chest and legs armor).

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.