1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Guide] Blade & Soul: Increased Sliders & xml.dat modding

Discussion in 'Tools & Guides' started by JustGuy, Jan 22, 2016.

1. JustGuy

JustGuy Vivacious Visitor

Follow-up from #8261.

This guide explains how to modify the xml.dat file of Blade & Soul, allowing you to use permanently increased slider limits for your characters.

As opposed to using the BnS Slider Mod Tool, larger sizes obtained through this method are permanent (i.e. they don't reset when the game closes). However, they require a launcher bypass and may need to be re-done when the structure of xml.dat is changed after a patch or update.

#1: Basic Requirements
    For editing xml.dat and working with the sliders you will need the following:
    If the (de)-compiling with the bnsdat tool doesn't work see the bottom of this post.

#2: Installing & using bnsdat
    Place the bnsdat.exe file you downloaded above in your NCSOFT\BnS\contents\Local\NCWEST\data folder. It is highly recommended to make a backup of your original xml.dat file before proceeding.

Open a command prompt to said folder by going into the NCWEST folder above it and [shift+Rclick] on the \data folder there to toggle the "open command window here" option in the list. Enter the following in said command prompt and hit enter:
    Code:
    bnsdat -x xml.dat
    If the extraction was successful you will now have a new folder inside your \data folder named xml.dat.files containing (mostly) all modifiable .xml files in the game.

#3: Navigating characterdefvaluedata.xml
    Navigate to the \engine folder within the new xml.dat.files folder and locate characterdefvaluedata.xml. Open this with Wordpad or any other text editor.

In the lower half of the file you'll find a myriad of lines that begin with "body-custom-count". These are the slider limits for every aspect of the body.

[​IMG]

Each "entry" relates to a particular race and/or gender.
    The numeric values without " " (quotation) marks around them (e.g. the 16 in body-custom-count-16) correspond to a particular body part. There is a list of what each number refers to below.

For increasing the slider limits we need to focus on the lines that appear as body-custom-max-... and body-custom-min-... In such lines, the numbers between " " marks are the actual values that we will be editing.

List of what number corresponds to body part, courtesy of @tinker and others:
    #4: Changing Values
    This tutorial explains how to increase the sliders for breast size, but once you get the hang of things you'll find that editing the other values isn't that much harder.

So let's start simple by saying that we want increase the max. limit of the breast slider from 1.00 (default) to 3.00 for all races.
    1. Hit the "Replace" button in your text editor.[​IMG]
    2. Going by the list above, 25 is the most important value for breast size. Also recall that we need the lines that appear as body-custom-max-... and body-custom-min-... for increasing the max/min values respectively.
    3. Enter the default value on top and the modified value underneath, then hit "replace all". We want to increase the max value, so we use "max":
      [​IMG]
    The max. breast size for all races has now been increased from 1.00 to 3.00.

Let's say that we also want to increase the minimum limit of the breast slider from its default (-1.00) to -3.00 so that we can make the boobs smaller than normal too. Repeat the above step, but for the min-25 value this time. Remember to use a negation (-) sign for min. values:

[​IMG]

Simply repeat this step for any other values you want to change.

Once done you can exit the file (save changes) and re-compile xml.dat (see below). But let's try to expand on things a bit (no pun intended).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Race/Gender-Specific Changes
    Let's make things a bit more complicated by saying that we want to increase a value (here: breast size) but for a particular race and gender only. This means that we can't use the "replace all" tool from the previous step. Instead we will need to locate and manually edit the respective entry and its values. So how do we find what entry we need to edit?

You can use the following shortlist:
    So say we want to change the slider limits for Yun/Kun only. This is the entry that ends with race="건" sex="여". Do an in-document search for that text string and manually edit the relevant values there. Note that you can only do this if you have the Korean language font installed, else you will see random gibberish like so:
    [​IMG]

#5: Re-Compiling xml.dat
    Once you are done with your changes exit the file (save all changes) and prepare to re-compile xml.dat.

Before doing so delete your current xml.dat file first. Re-compiling when there already is an xml.dat in the \data folder will sometimes cause it to not overwrite properly.

Bring up the command prompt for the \data folder again (see Step #2 above), but this time enter the following:
    Code:
    bnsdat -c xml.dat.files
    xml.dat is now re-compiled along with the updated sliders. Ensure that the new xml.dat is (or ends up in) your NCSOFT\BnS\contents\Local\NCWEST\data folder. Before running the game, though, we will need to setup a launcher bypass to prevent the game from just repairing the new xml.dat.

#6: Bypassing the NC Launcher
    The NCSoft launcher automatically fixes any modified files it detects, and since we are using a modified xml.dat file our main priority is to circumvent this launcher.

A first way to do this is by launching the game via a .bat file. You can d
    ownload it for B&S NA/EU here: http://i.gflclan.com/start_client.bat. Put this file into your \NCSOFT\BnS\bin folder (the same folder client.exe is in) and make a shortcut to it (right-click > send to desktop). From now on you will be launching the game through that. You can edit this file (right-click>edit) to change between the NA and EU servers: "-region:0" is for NA, "-region:1" for EU.

A second way to do this is via Steam:
    Alternatively, you can just manually copypaste the modified xml.dat file into its respective folder straight after the file check/repair is finished. However you will need to do this every.single.time you launch the game.

Errors/Fixes
    • If the bnsdat tool doesn't work properly with extracting/de-compiling try moving the xml.dat outside of your B&S folder -- that is, copying/moving it to another folder (e.g. the same folder the bnsdat tool comes in), put bnsdat.exe in that folder and try de-compiling it there.
    • Make sure the xml.dat is not read only.
    • Run cmd.exe (the commandline prompt) with admin privilege.
    • For more issues see the source thread for the bnsdat tool.
    If you'd like the default xml.dat back at any time or get the latest version because the old one stopped working just run the game through the regular launcher and let it update/repair. You can copypaste the modified characterdefvaluedata.xml from your old xml.dat.files/engine folder over into the (newly extracted) one and re-compile to save yourself some time: the structure of xml.dat may change after a patch, but the characterdefvaluedata.xml file does not.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
    AwfulArchdemon, kindwick and Naduron like this.
  2. tinker

tinker Vivacious Visitor

Each record in characterdefvaluedata.xml is tied to a different race/sex combination. So, if you only want to change values for a certain combination(i.e. whatever your character is), find that record and modify only that.
    For example, to modify a body value for Yun female, find the record with race="건" sex="여".

3. mxjzm

mxjzm Vivacious Visitor

Just a comment,
    Looks like 23, 24 and 25 are not x, y, z values for breast.
    23 = Separation (x)
    24 = Position (y)
    25 = Full size
    Same as the sliders in character creation. You can increase (or decrease) the size using 25 only.

4. tinker

tinker Vivacious Visitor

I believe the numbers correspond to these sliders:
    1 Pelvis Width
    2 Pelvis Thickness
    3 Waist Thickness
    4 Waist Length
    5 Thigh Width
    6 Calf Width
    7 Thigh Length
    8 Calf Length
    9 Torso Size
    10 Neck Thickness
    11 Neck Length
    12 Shoulder Height
    13 Shoulder Width
    14 Shoulder Size
    15 Arm Thickness
    16 Arm Length
    17 Hand Size
    18 Hand Length
    19 Foot Size
    20 Build
    21 Height
    22 Head Size
    23 Chest Height
    24 Chest Width
    25 Chest Size
    26 Head Width

5. tinker

tinker Vivacious Visitor

Text for different races for easier searching:
    GonM race="곤" sex="남"
    LynM race="린" sex="남"
    JinM race="진" sex="남"
    YunF race="건" sex="여"
    GonF race="곤" sex="여"
    LynF race="린" sex="여"
    JinF race="진" sex="여"

Naduron and JustGuy like this.
  6. Manning

Manning Potential Patron

Yeah, where I got stuck is that no new folder appears in the /data folder after running the extraction in the command prompt. The command prompt process seems to work, it say's its extracting, but nothing new appears after its finished.

7. tinker

tinker Vivacious Visitor

What directory are you running bnsdat from?

8. Asmodeus

Asmodeus Potential Patron

I have a problem, I cant get past the part where you enter bnsdat -x xml.dat in the command prompt. It says extracting files and when its done nothing happens, it doesnt create a folder like you said it would. Could anyone help me with that? Or is it possible for someone to just post an xml.dat file with the breasts set to maybe 5 or 7 instead of 3?

9. tinker

tinker Vivacious Visitor

Maybe bnsdat doesn't have permission to write to your B&S directory? You could try making a new folder on your desktop or something, copying everything there and running it to see if that works.

10. Asmodeus

Ok so I've tried doing it on the desktop and it creates the folder, but its empty :/

11. tinker

tinker Vivacious Visitor

No idea then, and it seems to be common since Manning had the same issue. It isn't really reasonable to create and upload a file for every variation, so I'll see if I can think of an alternative.

12. Asmodeus

Thank you very much for your help :)

13. Manning

Manning Potential Patron

@ tinker
    C:\Program Files (x86)\NCSOFT\BnS\contents\Local\NCWEST\data

14. Persocom

Persocom Potential Patron

Yes can you please create a tool to extended the ( Maximum ) ( Minimum ) values of the ( Head ) ( Body ) sliders in the character creation.
    It would mean so much to me, I started this method around 2 AM in the morning today .. It's now 11:51 AM almost 12 PM and for some odd reason..

My computer won't let me create a xml file... the cmd process is successfull so does my input everything according to this tutorial :[Guide] Blade & Soul: Increased Sliders & xml.dat modding | Undertow

anyone in here - Please if I may request to you from someone who hasnt sleep today ~__~ can you kindly provide me a

- 22 - Head Size : minimum ( -4.00 )
    - 13 - Arm Width - maximum ( 4.00 )

XML File it would mean so so much to me.

15. Neospriggan

Neospriggan Potential Patron

I've followed the steps, but when I try to recompile the xml, it just stops on the first file with the message "ERROR Loading XML Stream"

Edit: Just realised the folder is Read Only, feel stupid.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  16. Kuhro

Kuhro Potential Patron

Hello. Just did all the steps and i get this error:
    Invalid game client file. Please update the game client or reinstall.(1005) (183)
    Im using the BnS.client.bat for playing. I already did the 3.0 breast boost, but i surely want more. Well but that error is in my way.. can any1 help?

17. JustGuy

JustGuy Vivacious Visitor

This means you are using an older/outdated version of xml.dat. Run the game through the regular launcher and let it patch/update to get the latest version of xml.dat. Extract the new xml.dat with the bnsdat tool and continue your work there.

You can copypaste your (previously) modified characterdefvaluedata.xml file over from the old xml.dat.files/engines folder over into the new one and recompile it to save yourself some time.

18. moogoogai

moogoogai Potential Patron

Anyone having trouble with the #2 this may help. I searched my c drive for the folder that was supposed to be made and found it here C:\Users\(your computer username)\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\NCSOFT\BnS\contents\Local\NCWEST\data. Just move the items back to the main folder. This worked for #2 and #5.

19. Ryan Scags

Ryan Scags Potential Patron

is this tool broken? i keep trying yet i get a bad address error. Can someone help me?