DialogueChecker (Latest version: V3.07, 18 December 2016) (1 Viewer)

Pim_gd

Content Creator
Re: DialogueChecker (Latest version: V2.22, 31 March 2015)

March 31, 2015
Introducing v2.22!
- Fixed a bug where percent encoded values would crash the checker.
Download link in OP.
The archive download, containing the source of the DialogueChecker, as well as the current and all the previous versions has also been updated.

Yep that's it. Single fix.

How these things get past testing, I don't know.
How these things don't come to my attention for more than a whole fkcing month, I REALLY don't know.

The checker is not supposed to crash, regardless of what it is that you put in the textbox.

EnigmaTSvirus

Potential Patron
Re: DialogueChecker (Latest version: V2.21, 17 February 2015)

I apologize for not providing the dialogue in question before when asking for help. Anyways, here is my WIP dialogue:
View attachment My WIP Dialogue.txt

And here's the error code again as well, just in case:

Error: Error #1502
at Dialogue/parseLine()
at Dialogue/parseDialogueFromString()
at Dialogue()
at Main/parseDialogue()

Last edited by a moderator:

Pim_gd

Content Creator

Vergil said:
I apologize for not providing the dialogue in question before when asking for help. Anyways, here is my WIP dialogue:

And here's the error code again as well, just in case:

Error: Error #1502
at Dialogue/parseLine()
at Dialogue/parseDialogueFromString()
at Dialogue()
at Main/parseDialogue()

This has already been fixed in v2.22, it seems.

Last edited by a moderator:

EnigmaTSvirus

Potential Patron

Pim_gd said:
This has already been fixed in v2.22, it seems.

Ah, you're right. With DC v2.22 the errors are popping up now. Thank you for your help and time.

aztlan

Casual Client

Should vigorousbodyexitedrelax be a valid line type in Animtools 14?

The checker does not like it but sby listed it as a valid line type.

EDIT: This line type also shows up in game when I check it. In practice I usually recode it to be like general or exited.

aztlan

Casual Client

It would be handy if the checker gave off a warning when you had consecutive pairs of double quotes: "".

While this is not necessarily an error it can occur if you forget a comma in a string of "sets" and legitimate uses for it are pretty rare (basically only empty lines as near as I can see).

R

rasteme

Re: DialogueChecker (Latest version: V1.03, 16 May 2013)

Pim_gd said:
Attached (at the bottom) to this post is a rar file containing a FlashDevelop AS3 Project. The rar file also contains the current and older versions of the DialogueChecker, as well as source backups since v1.13. Additionally, testset dialogues are contained in the rar file.

Version log for v1:
Code:
v1.34: 5th of September, 2013 - Added support for Animtoolsv7 and DialogueActions v1.00.
v1.33: 1st of September, 2013 - Added support for DialogueActions v0.99.
v1.32: 29th of August, 2013 - Implemented 2 missing variables for DialogueActions (v0.97 hotfix 2.1) - panties and bottoms. This branch will be supported until sometime around 1 October 2013. Support of this application entails implementation of support for dialogue mods (like currently has been done with Animtools, VariableArithmetic, DialogueActions and BreastExpansionPlus), as well as fixing any bugs that are found, provided it is possible to make the changes within a reasonable timespan (< 1 hour).
v1.31: 28th of August, 2013 - Fixed a bug where the DialogueChecker would crash or otherwise start throwing errors if variables were separated by 1 space. (2 spaces will still crash, don't do that.) Added error-catching. In case of a crash, the checker will now properly throw the error at the user, instead of acting broken by doing nothing. Please send me crash reports if you get errors.
v1.30: 28th of August, 2013 - Added support for VariableArithmetic (v1.02+) by validating all triggers starting with "VA_". Fixed the stupid typo in the issue-message for [,.]
v1.29: 27th of August, 2013 - Added support for VariableArithmeticv1.01, added a check for [,.] and whitelisted [,...].
v1.28: 26th of August, 2013 - Added a check to see if a line has both [:] and ["], but the colon occurs later than the double quote. In effect, checks if a linename does not contain double quotes.
v1.27: 24th of August, 2013 - Fixed a bug where the DialogueChecker would crash if [!,] was found in a line. Bug introduced in v1.15 as a duplicated issue and worsened to crash in v1.19. Fixed a bug which caused [?,] not to be checked for. Bug introduced in v1.15 (the check never was properly added). 
v1.26: 19th of August, 2013 - Fixed a bug where illegitimate variable inserts were treated as valid, if no initial_settings line was present. Bug introduced in v1.25. Work is progressing on v2. The classes meant as datastructure have all been finished, save for Dialogue and Issue.
v1.25: 13th of August, 2013 - Fixed a bug where legitimate inserts of variables into dialogue lines were being treated as illegitimate inserts. Bug was introduced in v1.24.
v1.24: 12th of August, 2013 - Introducing support for variables! Added checks for verifying that all variables declared in initial_settings are used. Added checks for verifying that no unknown variables are referenced in set and check line-attributes. Added checks for verifying that no unknown variables are inserted as substitutes. Implemented support for variables from BreastExpansionPlusV2_4 and DialogueActions 0.97 Hotfix 2.1. Added checks for possible conflicts if a dialogue is used with a dialogue mod - since dialogue mods insert the variables, they should not be declared in initial_settings. Added a message to the "Invalid next target" issue if the referenced target has spaces.
v1.23: 5th of August, 2013 - Fixed a typo in the message if the held line-attribute was improperly used. Fixed a typo in the message if the style line-attribute was improperly used. Fixed a bug where lines ending with the name of a line-attribute would be seen as instances of improper use. Bug introduced in v1.02 and expanded in v1.06. Added extra info line if line-attribute parsing fails due to improper use of line-attributes (specifically, lack of double quotes). Internal functionality: Implemented support for snippets that focus on a second or later occurrence of a specific string in a line.
v1.22: 22th of July, 2013 - Fixed a bug with snippets being cut off if a line had duplicate issues.
v1.21: 21th of July, 2013 - Added check for [::] (Syntax).
v1.20: 3rd of July, 2013 - Added checks for failed parsing of line-attributes. Capped snippets at 40 chars on both sides of the highlighted section. Fixed an internal bug with parsing values of line-attributes.
v1.19: 28th of June, 2013 - Added wordwrap for the output textfield. Added snippets feature. When an error is detected, the checker displays a snippet of the line so that the exact location of the error can be located more easily.
v1.18: 26th of June, 2013 - Added checks for line-attributes with undefined values. Linebreaks are now customizable through an input textfield.
v1.17: 20th of June, 2013 - Added checks for illegal mood values in commented lines. Added a counter for "severe" issues. Severe issues cause the Dialogue to crash or otherwise fail loading. Illegal mood values are now treated as severe issues.
v1.16: 19th of June, 2013 - Refactored code for dealing with line checks. Added a line to indicate how long it took to check the dialogue. Added checks to validate line-attributes. Added checks to validate the values of the following line-attributes: held, mood and style. Bugfix: If a line-attribute contains an asterisk, it no longer murders the dialoguechecker. It also doesn't count for "uneven/even" amount of asterisks in a line.
v1.15: 16th of June, 2013 - Bugfix: Commented lines no longer validate lines they reference if the comment filter is on. Removed accidental leftover debug code for testing the "next" lineattribute. Internally parameterized linebreaks as preparation for future custom linebreak option. Added checks for [!,] and [?,] (Grammar).
v1.14: 16th of June, 2013 - Added checks for unused lines and faulty triggers. The checker supports external lines and triggers from AnimtoolsV5, BreastExpansionPlusV2_2 and DialogueActions 0.97 Hotfix 2.1.
v1.13: 14th of June, 2013 - Refactored the code a bit. Delay chars, triggers and substitutions are now removed at the same time for checking purposes. Fixed the bug which caused whitelisting of [...!], [...?] and [...,] to not work.
v1.12: 13th of June, 2013 - Added checks for [.!.], [.?.], [.?], [.,], [.!], [.,.], whitelisted [...!], [...?], [...,], fixed a typo in the error message for using %01. (Use of %01 -> Usage of %01) Added feature: The checker will now remove triggers to check for further errors. Bugfixed the removal of delay chars for error checking.
v1.11: 4th of June, 2013 - Added whitelisting for [!...] and [?...]. Added a special check for illegal asterisks: The checker parses the initial_settings line to identify the variables the dialogue uses. If an undefined variable is referenced, the checker raises an error.
v1.10: 29th of May, 2013 - Added check for illegal colons (if a line has :", and the : of that is the first occurance of :, check if there are colons between the first double and the second double quote.), Removing Бs if no errors are found to see if some errors are being masked by delay chars. Added checkbox to disable comment filter. Added check for [ . ].
v1.09: 27th of May, 2013 - Found a bug in the checks for nested triggers. It caused a lot of false positives. Added checks for [dialogue-name] and [initial-settings].
v1.08: 25th of May, 2013 - Added checks for [%01], [[]]. Added a filter that will try prevent the checker from checking non-dialogue lines. Added checks for nested triggers. Added checks for lines with 2 or more double quotes, but no colon (could be a coding error).
v1.07: 20th of May, 2013 - Added checks for [held:] (provided it's not start of a line). Added checkboxes which you can use to disable checking for certain things (grammar, syntax, substitutes).
v1.06: 19th of May, 2013 - Added checks for [ :], [},{], [style:], [check:], [mood:], [next:]. Added suggested fixes for [style:], [check:], [mood:], [next:], [set:].
v1.05: 17th of May, 2013 - Added checks for [,?], [,!], [ ?], [ !]. Also added a check that will remove *YOU*/*YOUR*/*ME*/*MY* to check if that would cause errors in a dialogue.
v1.04: 17th of May, 2013 - Fixed a typo in one of the error messages. Added checks for [,,], [ ,], uneven count of double quotes, uneven count of asterisks.
v1.03: 16th of May, 2013 - Added checks for [:" ], [ *YOU* ], [ *YOUR* ], [ *ME* ], [ *MY* ]
v1.02: 16th of May, 2013 - Some editors prefer \r\n as new line instead of just \n. So yeah. Changed all \n to \r\n
v1.01: 16th of May, 2013 - Default font != sans_serif. Made textfields larger.
v1.00: 16th of May, 2013 - base release attempt on SWFcabin

Current version: v2.22

Online links to old versions:

Pim_gd

Content Creator

aztlan said:
It would be handy if the checker gave off a warning when you had consecutive pairs of double quotes: "".

While this is not necessarily an error it can occur if you forget a comma in a string of "sets" and legitimate uses for it are pretty rare (basically only empty lines as near as I can see).

I strive to have the DialogueChecker only report issues if they are actually issues.

What you are looking for, I think, is not an error for double-double quotes. It's an error for forgetting a comma in a string of "sets".

Well...

Code:
initial_settings:{"blah":"x","blah2":"y"}
intro:"Hello" {"set":{"blah":"x""blah2":"y"}}

*Check*

Code:
Dialogue was checked in 39 ms with v2.22 of the DialogueChecker.

Your dialogue looks clean to me. Have you used a spellchecker for your dialogue?

What about loading the dialogue ingame, then going to the dialogue log? Is that clean of any errors?

Fuck.

Uhm

I guess I better fix that?

EDIT: I've fixed it, but haven't put out a fully released version yet. I wanna clean the code up a bit more before I release a v3.00.

In other news, I moved the DialogueChecker to BitBucket here https://bitbucket.org/Pim_gd/sdtdialoguechecker/overview. Maybe I shouldn't be attaching my name to these things, but on the other hand, I built this, and it's seeing actual use.

Now people can view the source online! More importantly, moving to source control allows people to make changes without screwing things up. I'll be moving DialogueActions to BitBucket as well, then WeeWillie can wreak as much havoc as he wants.

Pim_gd

Content Creator
Re: DialogueChecker (Latest version: V3.00, 31 May 2015)

May 31, 2015
Introducing v3.00!
- Some improvements to parsing lineattributes set and check.
- added #DialogueChecker-NoDoubleSpace# for disabling double space check
- Support for DAv4.00
-- added trigger recognition for DAv4.00 (APPENDVAR/APPENDVARBYNAME/APPENDVARBYNAEM)
-- implemented checks for APPENDVAR triggers (variable usage)
Download link in OP, and on the downloads page of the BitBucket repository.

Yay BitBucket~

I had a "SDTDialogueChecker - Latest" version on there and someone downloaded it. Kinda sad, since it's not the latest. I removed it, since I don't have a build server that automatically builds commits to make an actual "latest".
Instead, I think I'll be making beta builds or something. For now, there's a stable v3.00 on there.

I changed the version number to v3.00 since, just as with DialogueActions, there's going to be new versioning. The checker actually suffers the most from the whole release process - I timed it once, I spend like 10-15 minutes just to put a new version online. Yeah...
At least with bitbucket I'll be able to put up a beta build with sources easily. Yes, you have to download it to use it, but on the other hand, having some way to use a beta build beats waiting for me to actually release things (which can sometimes take 2 months).

Plus, BitBucket accurately reports download numbers, so I can have some silent feedback on usage. FastSWF's view count is nice, but it's not in a table and I'd have to view the links to see it.

Spinner

Potential Patron

Hey Pim_gd,

There appears to be a bit of a "trap for new players" with the dialog checker...

When it checks variables it warns that not declaring variables is bad practice.
However, if you set up global variables in one dialogue, then launch another intending to use the globals, declaring the variables in the second dialogue overwrites the global value.

I understand how this all works now, but initially it took me a while to figure out that declaring global variables in the second dialogue was in fact bad practice...!

Not sure what the solution might be... But perhaps a note in the report that declaring variables is bad practice "unless they are previously declared global variables" might avoid headaches for new dialogue coders?

Pim_gd

Content Creator

Spinner said:
Hey Pim_gd,

There appears to be a bit of a "trap for new players" with the dialog checker...

When it checks variables it warns that not declaring variables is bad practice.
However, if you set up global variables in one dialogue, then launch another intending to use the globals, declaring the variables in the second dialogue overwrites the global value.

I understand how this all works now, but initially it took me a while to figure out that declaring global variables in the second dialogue was in fact bad practice...!

Not sure what the solution might be... But perhaps a note in the report that declaring variables is bad practice "unless they are previously declared global variables" might avoid headaches for new dialogue coders?

Use [LOADGLOBALS_variable1_variable2_variableN].
By declaring all your variables at the top you can provide sensible default values. The checker is basically telling you "hey, did you type this variable name right? I don't see it in the list up top."

LOADGLOBALS will set a LOCAL variable's value to a GLOBAL variable's value, then link them together. The global variable's value will overwrite whatever local value there might have been.

As you can see, by using LOADGLOBALS, there is no risk of a variable losing their value.

I'll add a message to this effect to the check.

Spinner

Potential Patron

Pim_gd said:
By declaring all your variables at the top you can provide sensible default values. The checker is basically telling you "hey, did you type this variable name right? I don't see it in the list up top."

LOADGLOBALS will set a LOCAL variable's value to a GLOBAL variable's value, then link them together. The global variable's value will overwrite whatever local value there might have been.

I did that... though in my case (as the globals are objects) it is [LOADGLOBALS_variable1.]. The problem still occurs.

Note that I am successfully creating the variable suite in one dialog and using them in a subsequently loaded dialog... as long as I don't include the variables in initial_settings. If I do include the variables in initial_settings the values declared replace the global values...!

Does it have to do with when I do the LOADGLOBALS_ ?
For ref: The LOADGLOBALS_ is in my start: line (in the second dialog) and initial_settings is above the start line (i.e. initial_settings: precedes start: in the text file).

Pim_gd

Content Creator

Spinner said:
Pim_gd said:

I did that... though in my case (as the globals are objects) it is [LOADGLOBALS_variable1.]. The problem still occurs.

Note that I am successfully creating the variable suite in one dialog and using them in a subsequently loaded dialog... as long as I don't include the variables in initial_settings. If I do include the variables in initial_settings the values declared replace the global values...!

Does it have to do with when I do the LOADGLOBALS_ ?
For ref: The LOADGLOBALS_ is in my start: line (in the second dialog) and initial_settings is above the start line (i.e. initial_settings: precedes start: in the text file).

Ahhh I see. Yeah, objects are annoying. For now, use #DialogueChecker-IgnoreObjects#.

Also the values being replaced sounds like a bug. Does it occur if you add a few charachters in front of the trigger?

Spinner

Potential Patron

Pim_gd said:
Ahhh I see. Yeah, objects are annoying. For now, use #DialogueChecker-IgnoreObjects#.

Thanks for the info... #DialogueChecker-IgnoreObjects# stops the checker throwing the errors (because I assume it stops checking for them). I still think a note attached to the report would be helpful though. In my case, it had me chasing my tail on the path of "what am I doing wrong here" for quite some time. :o

Pim_gd said:
Also the values being replaced sounds like a bug. Does it occur if you add a few charachters in front of the trigger?

Yes it does. That is... declaring the variables writes the value regardless of whether or not the LOADGLOBALS trigger is part of a larger line, has text or whatever.

Also, the LOADGLOBALS is superfluous. The globals are available for use whether or not they are LOADED and can be used, written to etc. Once I figured out the problem was with the declaration, I dropped the LOADGLOBALS (as "just a line of code that does nothing but requires maintenance")... ;)

Pim_gd

Content Creator

Spinner said:
Pim_gd said:

Thanks for the info... #DialogueChecker-IgnoreObjects# stops the checker throwing the errors (because I assume it stops checking for them). I still think a note attached to the report would be helpful though. In my case, it had me chasing my tail on the path of "what am I doing wrong here" for quite some time. :o

Pim_gd said:

Yes it does. That is... declaring the variables writes the value regardless of whether or not the LOADGLOBALS trigger is part of a larger line, has text or whatever.

Also, the LOADGLOBALS is superfluous. The globals are available for use whether or not they are LOADED and can be used, written to etc. Once I figured out the problem was with the declaration, I dropped the LOADGLOBALS (as "just a line of code that does nothing but requires maintenance")... ;)

Sounds like DA doesn't clear the links between globals and locals when swapping to the next dialogue...

That's a bug, and I'll be fixing it. EDIT: sent you a PM about it

In other news, I just put a v3.01dev on the bitbucket downloads page. Don't feel like releasing yet as I'm planning on cleaning up the GrammarChecker a bit (it's got a ton of repeating code, with the only change being "double space", "double comma", etc...).
v3.01dev adds checks for setting a mood to a value you already know it's at (for example, if the line has a mood -

huh
Hang on...

Well, this is why we have development builds.

I accidentally only made the check for when the line checks for a mood. That is, only lines with a mood line-attribute get checked.
I've fixed this now, but it's pretty funny that I keep forgetting things like this.

Anyway, lines where you check for a mood and then directly set it - you don't need to set the mood again if you already know it's at that value. So the trigger can be removed. (Or maybe you intended to switch to a different mood instead?) Also cases where you set the mood to the same value multiple times in the same line would be caught by this.

Pim_gd

Content Creator
Re: DialogueChecker (Latest version: V3.01, 6 June 2015)

June 6, 2015
Introducing v3.01!
- added check to LineUsageChecker for CHANGE_BACKGROUND to be compatible with SETVAR (reducing false postives)
- lots of code cleanup
- added checks for setting moods to the value they're already at (check mood ANGRY, set mood ANGRY = mistake, set mood angry set mood angry = mistake).
- added a check for trying to play passed_out lines with a style that would require her to be awake
- Expanded input textfield to 15 lines (previously 14 and a half)
- added [, .] check with whitelisted [, ...]
- added line numbers next to input textfield
Download link in OP, and on the downloads page of the BitBucket repository.

Bit messy changelog, but that's because I'm directly copying my commits.

So... what's new? Well, not much, you could say. Just some code cleanup, a few extra checks...

Oh, and line numbers.

Line numbers?

Yes.
linenumbers.png

Line numbers.

Usually, after running the checker I'd have to go to notepad, make my edit there, CTRL+A CTRL+C ALT+TAB CLICK CTRL+A CTRL+V. Plus ALT+TAB to actually go from checker to notepad. It breaks flow.

So by adding line numbers to the dialogue checker, I've made it a far better experience for fixing issues! I tried it with astounded's dialogues, it works pretty well. It's a pain to spot grammar errors like "!." though (small font), but this beats copying changes back and forth all the time.
Line numbers can go to 999 right now, at 1000 they go kinda wonky (not enough space to put them). The text gets cut off and it's a bit hard to see.

Then again, using the first 3 digits and the line name, you can home in on the affected area pretty quickly.

Spinner

Potential Patron

Hi Pim_gd, Got a point of discussion re grammar checking and the use of spaces...

I am finding several uses for spaces that do not meet your checker criteria. These are all rather subtle but bear examining:

Notion of a pause and separation of ideas:
Б provides a means for an actual timing pause, but it does not support this experientially with a visual cue. For example, if you want to present a pause in the following:
You can't be serious...!?!<pause>I won't do it...!!!
I believe:
You can't be serious...!?! I won't do it...!!!
Presents the pause better than:

Separating "who" from "what"
The only way to use the notion of a third party in the game is to include their name/title in the dialog box.
E.g. "~Mr Biggles~ Blah, blah blah".

I believe including three spaces (as shown in the above example) creates better separation of the speaker from the spoken. A single space makes it (initially at least) harder to distinguish if the speaker is being addressed or is in fact the speaker.

Starting a line with suggestions of something
Where a line opening calls for suggesting a disposition (crying or quizzical or pleasure or other) you can open the line with things like -sob- or ...!!! or -moan- etc.
It is rather subtle but I find (in some cases at least) that a leading space suites the presentation of these notions.

Room to another switch?
I appreciate these are all just artistic differences, but isn't that part of the whole when writing dialogues?
Given this, I was wondering if there is room for considering another switch in the checker "Check Spaces with Grammar"...?

Pim_gd

Content Creator

Spinner said:
Hi Pim_gd, Got a point of discussion re grammar checking and the use of spaces...

I am finding several uses for spaces that do not meet your checker criteria. These are all rather subtle but bear examining:

Notion of a pause and separation of ideas:
Б provides a means for an actual timing pause, but it does not support this experientially with a visual cue. For example, if you want to present a pause in the following:
You can't be serious...!?!<pause>I won't do it...!!!
I believe:
Presents the pause better than:

Separating "who" from "what"
The only way to use the notion of a third party in the game is to include their name/title in the dialog box.
E.g. "~Mr Biggles~ Blah, blah blah".

I believe including three spaces (as shown in the above example) creates better separation of the speaker from the spoken. A single space makes it (initially at least) harder to distinguish if the speaker is being addressed or is in fact the speaker.

Starting a line with suggestions of something
Where a line opening calls for suggesting a disposition (crying or quizzical or pleasure or other) you can open the line with things like -sob- or ...!!! or -moan- etc.
It is rather subtle but I find (in some cases at least) that a leading space suites the presentation of these notions.

Room to another switch?
I appreciate these are all just artistic differences, but isn't that part of the whole when writing dialogues?
Given this, I was wondering if there is room for considering another switch in the checker "Check Spaces with Grammar"...?

#DialogueChecker-NoDoubleSpace#

Put it at the top of the dialogue.

Spinner

Potential Patron

Pim_gd said:

Thanks Pim,

Just the issue of leading spaces left... But your help (as always) much appreciated. :D

sby

Content Creator
Coder

Spinner said:
Pim_gd said:

Thanks Pim,

Just the issue of leading spaces left... But your help (as always) much appreciated. :D
got notepad++?
could probably do it with regular expression find/replace

find:
(.*:")
replace:
\1

do note that there is a space after the closing paren in the find. if you don't know how to do this and are patient enough, i could run it through the find/replace if you send me the dialog

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.