DialogueChecker (Latest version: V3.07, 18 December 2016) (1 Viewer)

Bluey5

Potential Patron
Re: DialogueChecker (Latest version: V2.08, 25 October 2013)

Your going to be a future tech writer soon! Lol, I'm going to keep using it too... I don't make open dialogue, I just make them for me.

Pim_gd

Content Creator
Re: DialogueChecker (Latest version: V2.09, 31 October 2013)

October 31, 2013
Introducing v2.09!
- Added f93's dialogues as TestSet.
- Fixed a bug which caused [,...] to not be properly whitelisted (Bug since v1.29)
- Fixed a bug which caused duplicate values for lineattributes mood, style and held not to get caught. (Bug since v1.16)

- Added support for DialogueActions v1.08. (Previous version supported v1.06)
- Added a check for lines with [LOAD_CHARCODE] - loadCharCode variable should be set otherwise the trigger does nothing or may cause buggy behaviour (Line Usage - Minor)
Download link in OP.
The archive download, containing the source of the DialogueChecker, as well as the current and all the previous versions has also been updated.

I've decided to switch over to FastSWF - it's fast, and when I see that I get 100 views on my checker in 6! days, then, well...
Besides, all versions are packed in the archive download anyway (save for v1.01 and v1.00 but you don't want to see those).
I've also decided to remove the hotlink - apparently FastSWF gives you a display key which expires after a day or some other period of time. You'll have to click the link, I'm afraid. FastSWF will make it a quick experience, though.

Additionally, I'm looking into finding a way to test for line usage and variable usage a lot better. I have talked about this before... or so I thought. The only reference I can find is this one:
(August 11 2012) The variable system, however... I really ought to put that in once. Logical errors can be the hardest to spot.

Basically, the idea is that I will try to simulate the execution of the dialogue. I'll start at all the lines that SDT can trigger, and from there, I'll move through the dialogue, triggering lines, changing variables. If, at one point, no more altered states can be reached, checking is done and all unpassed lines are unused. It's gonna be real tough to make that work, though. More details at a later point when I have more to say about this.

Pim_gd

Content Creator
Re: DialogueChecker (Latest version: V2.09, 31 October 2013)

Okay so this is yet another case in which someone has ignored all the colon issues in a line.
I initially added this as a check because apparently it was bad to add colons in a dialogue line.
However, I have no such proof that it is, in fact, bad.
Does anyone know of a dialogue that wouldn't work with colons in the lines but would work when the colons were replace with percent-encoding?
Because if not, I'll remove the check. It's obscuring more serious issues.

Pim_gd

Content Creator
Re: DialogueChecker (Latest version: V2.10, 23 November 2013)

November 23, 2013
Introducing v2.10!
- Added a double check for double space - if double space is found, checker only reports the issue if double space is found after an uneven double quote but before an even double quote (between the first and second, between third and fourth...)
- Added a "helpful" message for grammar issues that popup in lines with *YOU*
- Added a check for lineattributes on finish and interrupt lines (Syntax - Major), as defining them will cause SDT to ignore the attributes or even the entire line.
- Added a check for duplicate finish lines - SDT only correctly parses the first of multiple finish lines with the same name (Line Usage - Major).
Download link in OP.
The archive download, containing the source of the DialogueChecker, as well as the current and all the previous versions has also been updated.

No reply on the colon issue, it seems. I'm still wondering whether that was ever a problem if you used them.

Pim_gd

Content Creator
Re: DialogueChecker (Latest version: V2.11, 3 December 2013)

Quadruple posting yay~

December 3, 2013
Introducing v2.11!
- Improved check for lines with [LOAD_CHARCODE], so that loadCharCode doesn't have to be set if "[VA_SET_VARIABLE_loadCharCode_" or "[VA_SET_VARIABLEBYNAME_loadCharCode_" is found on the line
- Added support for DialogueActionsv1.11
- Added checks for wrongful formats of numeric values for variables (Syntax - Major)
- Improved LineUsageChecker to use regexes for variables. It's not perfect and doesn't support VariableArithmetic yet... but hell yeah!
Download link in OP.

... those colons...
maybe I should start working on that style category.

Support for VariableArithmetic is also something I should be working on - it's just that it's simple for VariableArithmetic to just blindly do certain things... but the consequences are huge. Basically, VariableArithmetic is very powerful.

Pim_gd

Content Creator
Re: DialogueChecker (Latest version: V2.12, 8 December 2013)

Quintuple posting, yay~

December 8, 2013
Introducing v2.12!
- Removed %2A usage recommendation, and altered dialogue parsing to see %2A as an asterisk in content variables.
- Added check for "finish" as part of a line with lineattributes.
- Removed some colon checks.
- Altered the excess characters check for excess characters between linename and line content to not ignore whitespace (as SDT will ignore the line)
- Altered clean dialogue message ("Have you checked for special characters" -> "Have you used a spellchecker") as message was becoming irrelevant, checker does it for you.
Download link in OP.

News flash:
%2Aknock knock%2A does not work. Use a variable for inserting asterisks instead.

There are some bugs in this version, but that shouldn't really matter. For example...
intro:"[finish]" {"style":"Him"} does not give a issue message for using finish in a line with line attributes
... I'll get to those eventually.

aztlan

Casual Client

It would be cool if this were updated for DA 2.04. Even in it's current state (i.e. missing all the new commands) it is still invaluable.

darkwanderer

Potential Patron

Hello Pim_gd,

First of all thank you for this amazing tool. It helped me a lot.
I used it for writing my first dialogue, but as I was almost finishing it, I must have break something, and the checker didn't work anymore.

I got this error:

Code:
Once you've copy-pasted your dialogue into the top box, hit "Check my Dialogue!". I'll put the results here.Something went horribly wrong, and I just caught a flash error.Below this message is going to be an error message. It is possible that this error message is "null". That doesn't matter.What I want you to do is to post on the DialogueChecker thread. The post needs to contain the dialogue you just tried to check, and this error message.

I used DialogueChecker v2.12. It didn't show any error message, not even null.

I attached my dialogue, it's a work in progress (I don't intend to spend much more time on it, but there was some little stuffs to fix, grammar, progression, etc.)

Thanks in advance for your help!

I could finish without the checker, but it would be a very pro-error process.

Attachments

fuckyou_girlfriend.txt
40 KB · Views: 157

Pim_gd

Content Creator

CUM_ON_FACE_1:"You cannot cum on my face with impunity!"{"check":{"INTRO_SENT":"<3","CFS:">0"},"set":{"CFS":"+1","GCS":"+1"}}
Missing " crashes DialogueChecker

colorized:
CUM_ON_FACE_1:"You cannot cum on my face with impunity!"{"check":{"INTRO_SENT":"<3","CFS:">0"},"set":{"CFS":"+1","GCS":"+1"}}

also lines

getValue() returned NULL - name is "CFS:"
getValue() returned NULL - name is ":"
getValue() returned NULL - name is ","
getValue() returned NULL - name is ":"

Pim_gd

Content Creator
Re: DialogueChecker (Latest version: V2.13, 9 May 2014)

May 9, 2014
Introducing v2.13!
- Added in a check for null values in VariableReferences - returns NULL for getValue() if the value is NULL due to a parse error. Should stop the checker from crashing.
- Added a list of DA v2.04 variables for use by VariableChecker. It's wonky, but should help reduce false positives. (does not discern getter/setter)
- Added a list of DA v2.04 triggers for use by LineUsageChecker. Also wonky, but should help reduce false positives. Note that there's no longer any checking for the proper amount of arguments.
- Whitelisted spaces in triggers if they are inside a variable insertion (with asterisks). Should also work with %2A but that's not recommended (poor style).
Download link in OP.

So, I have become jobless due to reasons, found myself with too much sparetime and decided to update the checker to be somewhat compatible with DialogueActions v2.04. I have no idea how many bugs I've introduced, so I've decided to leave v2.12 of the checker up as well. Most nuances aren't checked yet, so you'll have to do your own bug hunting if your dialogue doesn't work. ... I think DialogueActions prints it's error in the dialogue log, so you could check there if something isn't working.

jase

Vivacious Visitor

The Checker considers double-space after a sentence to be a grammatical error. But that's been the typographical convention for centuries, single-spacing between sentences is as new as the Internet. Double-spacing may look out of place online, but it's still correct.

Pim_gd

Content Creator

It's how I implemented it because I considered double space to be just wrong.

There's been discussions for a style category but there was never much need for that.
You can uncheck grammar if you want to, so you can see the other errors better.

jase

Vivacious Visitor

I would agree with you with regard to any digital communication except for prose. Maybe it's because I was drilled in that in any composition course I took. Even though I don't always follow it online, I still consider it more correct than single space when writing fiction.

Pim_gd

Content Creator

The thing is, it was just easier to check for a double space anywhere in the line.
It never crossed my mind that you could have double space at the end of a line.
Even then, it wasn't used by the writers that were active at the time.

aztlan

Casual Client

I generally use a double space after a period for formal writing (see the end of this sentence for example), but given the display in game it doesn't really matter for dialogues. In fact I think that I generally don't use any space after a period at the end of the line in SDT dialogues (but do for internal periods) as they don't show up anyway.

(I think this practice originated with typesetters who used smaller spaces between words and larger ones between complete sentences to improve readability or aesthetics. Typists then mimicked this by using a double space and this remained even after the double space fell out of style among published works.)

ModGuy

Content Creator

Regex "\. ", "\. "
If an error can be considered preferential then it is not an error.
In this case I don't know what to make of it.
It does raise an interesting idea however, it would be pretty cool to add in flags to disable errors based on code.
For example: "IGNORE_ERRORS:26,88,152" which would silence the associated messages.
This of course requires implementing codes too which is useful by itself.

jase

Vivacious Visitor

Pim_gd said:
to ensure they don't have any bugs or silly typo's in them.
^^^
How did that escape everyone's attention for so long? I didn't even notice it until just now.

Pim_gd

Content Creator
Re: DialogueChecker (Latest version: V2.14, 2 September 2014)

September 2, 2014
Introducing v2.14!
- Added support for DA v3.00 by WeeWillie!
- Fixed a bug where using da.charcode.load with a mood set would give you errors.
- Fixed a bug where using [LOAD_CHARCODE] would give you errors about "loadCharCode" not being set.
- Fixed a bug where using [CHANGE_BACKGROUND] or [FADE_BACKGROUND] and it's varieties would give you errors about "background" not being set.
- Added a space after each comma in dependancy lists.
Download link in OP.

Huzzah, new updates! Finally, support for DAv3.00! You can use the checker again! All because I got frustrated with the grammar issues in a bad dialogue. I hope you're happy.

WeeWillie

Content Creator
Re: DialogueChecker (Latest version: V2.14, 2 September 2014)

Thanks so much for the update! So awesome.

FYI, I get the following error:

Variables - Major: Unused variable ("o3Name")

even though the variable is used as

[VA_SET_GLOBALVARIABLEBYNAME_gO3Name_o3Name]

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.