Can something be done about the transparency of the dialogue box ... (1 Viewer)

T0mcat

Avid Affiliate
... and / or the colour of the text itself?

Background:

Very often I come upon a very nice background picture, just to see that it makes reading any displayed dialogue near impossible, because the test is displayed in a colour too close to that of the background..

Kona has added the option to define a font from within a dialogue, but as it seems, this uses the basic colour setting and doesn't solve this problem..

being able to either set the text colour - for all text, without differences for Him, Her or Thought lines - or the transparency value for the textbox itself would help a lot..

aaaand being able to set the colour of the Him and Her/Thought lines seperately would be an added bonus ^^

Slingerbult

Content Creator
Seconded! This would be highly desirable. I would also like a new Style (perhaps called "None") that would have a completely transparent textbox, so that the user wouldn't notice when a line in this style was called or triggered. For instance:

line:"[ARMS_BACK]" {"style":"None"}

would simply make her put her arms back without any textbox or text appearing. Of course, this style set shouldn't care about her mouth being occupied, like Thought and Him.

AaRL

Vivacious Visitor
T0mcat said:
... and / or the colour of the text itself?

Background:

Very often I come upon a very nice background picture, just to see that it makes reading any displayed dialogue near impossible, because the test is displayed in a colour too close to that of the background..

Kona has added the option to define a font from within a dialogue, but as it seems, this uses the basic colour setting and doesn't solve this problem..

being able to either set the text colour - for all text, without differences for Him, Her or Thought lines - or the transparency value for the textbox itself would help a lot..

aaaand being able to set the colour of the Him and Her/Thought lines seperately would be an added bonus ^^

Ive asked about this too a long time ago when dialogue was first implemented. All I got was "dialogue is lame" Still the ability to change color would be nice. Also, what fonts are definable through the dialogue? Just basic like Arial, New Times Roman and such?

sby

Content Creator
Coder
here, test this out and see if anything breaks or functions oddly

edit - older link removed
(although it is actually the same one due to revision capabilities. i don't want excess links around though that i will have to clean up later)

T0mcat

Avid Affiliate
- modifies alpha and text and background of the dialog box.

hmm.. doesn't really work for me..
Changing alpha for text and background works - though setting the alpha for text <1 is kinda... useless? If the text is supposed to be better to be read, making it less visible does quite the opposite, doesn't it?

Changing alpha for the testbox / background works. But it's kinda the same problem as with the text - one should be able to raise the alpha, so the box get's darker, so the text can be seen better..

Changing text colour works.

Changing the box colour only works until a different style is called up. Then it goes back to a grey-ish colour.

- delays box from showing until actual text (spaces are text). used when actions before dialog would've popped up blank window

uhm.. not sure if that's supposed to do what I think it is supposed to do ^^

used the short script in the spoiler for testing:
DEFAULT:
all:"CLEAR"

1 - intro:"Testing HIM [intro01]" {"style":"Him"}
2 - intro01:"Testing HER [intro02]"
3 - intro02:"Testing THOUGHT [intro03]" {"style":"thought"}
4 - intro03:"[ARMS_BACK] Arms on the back [intro04]" {"style":"Him"}
5 - intro04:"[ARMS_LEGS][intro05]" {"style":"thought"}
6 - intro05:"And back to the legs [intro]"

( added line numbers, so the following makes more sense ;) )

result:
The first line is displayed in a HIM style box, but the second line is too.. or at least seems to be, as there's no real visual difference between the two styles.
The third line is also displayed in HIM style, and not as THOUGHT which it should be.
Line four is displayed in a HIM box.
Line 5 shows up as a blank THOUGHT style box. From what I've read, it's not supposed to show, right?
And the last line, number six, shows as HIM style again...

So, unless I've messed up seriously, it's a first step in the right direction, but still a wee bit buggy..

In case I've messed up the settings, I include the dialoguedisplayeditV1settings I've used in the next spoiler..

persistafterreset=0 //1=active, mod functions like a module and is unaffected by resets. place mod and settings in $init to autoload at startup
;
bgalpha=1 //0.0 - 1.0, the alpha of the background
textalpha=1 //0.0 - 1.0, the alpha of the text
;
bgredmult=0 //multiplier of current red background value, caps result at 255
bgbluemult=0 //multiplier of current blue background value, caps result at 255
bggreenmult=0 //multiplier of current green background value, caps result at 255
bgredoffset=100 //0-255, adds amount to current red background color
bgblueoffset=100 //0-255, adds amount to current blue background color
bggreenoffset=255 //0-255, adds amount to current green background color
;
textredmult=0 //multiplier of current red text value, caps result at 255
textbluemult=0 //multiplier of current blue text value, caps result at 255
textgreenmult=0 //multiplier of current green text value, caps result at 255
textredoffset=0 //0-255, adds amount to current red text color
textblueoffset=0 //0-255, adds amount to current blue text color
textgreenoffset=0 //0-255, adds amount to current green text color

sby

Content Creator
Coder
there is some messed up things about those dialog boxes, had to do some weird shit to get them to properly change their alpha without breaking.

anyway, people may try the newer version and see how it goes:
edit - latest version can be found in my loader imports thread

also, i didn't add any styles, but this line should not show up due to the action 'delays':
line:"[ARMS_BACK]" {"style":"None"}

won't show because it has no text for the mod to show the background for

T0mcat

Avid Affiliate
haven't tried too hard to break it yet, but it seems to work as intended now ^^ - Great job, sby!

Slingerbult

Content Creator
Wow, so no more empty dialogue boxes with this mod huh? Great job sby, this will make future projects so much easier :)

sby

Content Creator
Coder
request filled

can be found in my loader imports thread
http://www.sdtmods.com/index.php?topic=2888.0

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.