Do you prefer zako victory, defeat or enjoy both?

• 100% winning!

Votes: 29 12.7%
  • 100% losing!

Votes: 139 61.0%
  • Both!

Votes: 60 26.3%

• Total voters

Tsukachan

Master of this Domain
====Venting====
Well, about SoR4, from what they have shown so far I am not even close to be as hopeful, the lack of frames per animated hit reaction is abysmal compared to any low quality game standards. It simply hurts when I see a game where the dude uses 1 single default reaction sprite against an entire combo consisted of low, mid and high hits, and in the end of the combo, it always goes "to the air" in a single sprite and takes hit in the air with another single sprite.
There's just no excuse for this as there are many "one man team" who have more care for the animations than SoR4 devs do, it's just too damn lazy, clearly aimed as a "nostalgic" money grab and nothing else.

Still, I'm happy to know that there are other games coming up, like River City Girls, Watch Dogs Legion, 不当英雄Roguelike Hero and maybe Fighters Club.

On November 2017 KOG showcased Elsword M, Grand Chase Kakao and revealed Kurtzpel

On November 2018 KOG showcased Kurtzpel and held a CBT for North American servers

I wonder if KOG showcases Elsword M and Fighters Club M on G-Star 2019? Elsword M was soft-launched on Southeast Asia back in 2017, and shut down on 2018, leaving the Korean service canned/left behind. I'm hoping that Fighters Club M won't share the same fate as Elsword M

Also, it's September today. Around this month to November, we should've been expecting more Fighters Club info from KOG :)

Tsukachan

Master of this Domain
If being KO'd from a pipe to the skull makes you weak, then put me in the weak category!
I will be disappointed if the zako have no voices, but since this is an early version I remain hopeful.

wj1905, the gem names for the classic gals are the same as they were in Streets of Rage 3, which was released in 1994. I'm not sure when Steven Universe was released, but I doubt there is any reference there.
In the American release, Garnet's name was changed to Soozie and she donned short shorts and tights instead of a miniskirt. She was one of the first zako I really remember and remains one of my favorites, though I did not realize she was a covered-up version of the actual zako until much later.

I actually agree with this criticism, although as I said earlier, I remain hopeful because this is still an early version.
One thing I would really like to see in the full release is MANY more animations for the zako. Right now it looks like they have one or two very basic attack animations and basically one pain/fall animation that is used regardless of the type of attack the hero uses on them. I'm really hoping to see more than that.

In many older games, you could smash enemies into walls and they would slide down with a falling / defeat animation that was different from the standard animation. Here's a very old example from Downtown (1989), with our brave hero smashing a metal pipe against some blonde miniskirt wearing zakos:

And another example from Vendetta (1991). In this game the heroes smashed the zakos into the background wall and also used brutal attacks on the zakos while they were lying helpless on the ground:

And yet another example from Punisher (1993):

This dynamic also exists in some more recent, amateur made games, like Porkchop & Flatscreen. In this game you can smash enemies into the background or the foreground, and each of these provides for some, well, fascinating zako animations:

In most of the modern Double Dragon games (since Double Dragon Advance, 2003) there have been multiple fall animations, ground attacks, and the ability to bounce enemies off of walls. These make for some interesting and brutal possibilities against this classic cannon fodder zako:

Sadly, I have a feeling the new Streets of Rage will not have anything other than one basic zako animation for falling / defeated and maybe one or two for attacking. I have noticed that many of the newer 2d "retro" games have been pretty bland when it comes to mixing up the animations. Perhaps it is because so many of these games are now fan-funded and cannot afford big investments in graphic artists, but I would still like to see some more creative animations. If game developers could create a variety of animations in 1989, surely it can be done today!

BTW, I did a small research and Pyrop (or Pyrope) is actually another name for red garnet (and their color pallettes are a pun to it lmao)

lookit

Swell Supporter

A new game Zeus Begins in steam

The game includes Medusa, Snake Girl, Harpy, and some women with whips.

Full Game Playthrough

Attachments

• QQ截图20190902185358.png
    QQ截图20190902185358.png
    228.6 KB · Views: 203
  • QQ截图20190902185344.png
    QQ截图20190902185344.png
    224.6 KB · Views: 209
  • QQ截图20190902185333.png
    QQ截图20190902185333.png
    410.5 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:

Tsukachan

Master of this Domain

Full Game Playthrough

Women with whips...AGAIN!! Another...fucking...dominatrix or whatever, I'm sick of zakos with whips! It's just Linda or Nora pandering...

Weoooo

Master of this Domain
Me, personally, think whips are good

I'm not a fan of the style, but there's quite a few in there and it looks like a whole level of amazons and whip women. I like their sound, though!

Kimblis

Ryonani Teamster
Women with whips...AGAIN!! Another...fucking...dominatrix or whatever, I'm sick of zakos with whips! It's just Linda or Nora pandering...

Whips and "dominatrix" zako are definitely overused, especially when it comes to video games.
Fortunately, Linda seems to have moved away from being a "whip dominatrix" zako. Most modern Double Dragon games have her using knives, grenades, or most commonly just her fists. I would now consider her to be more of a standard "cannon fodder" zako than a "dominatrix" zako, and in my opinion that's a good thing.

I will have to do a post on the many different Linda variations some time. But for now: do y'all remember the game Badass Babes?
Campy game using live action sprites. The zako action starts at about 15:45 and continues throughout, and many of the zako are stripper themed and dealt with quite brutally by the heroines.

It's available on Steam, but there is also a free demo version that is playable on openBOR. That means I was able to access the sprites from the demo version and whip up some sprite sheets!
Asia Sprite Sheet (Alia in my zako adventure)
Asia Sprite Sheet.png

Chika Sprite Sheet (Cherise in my zako adventure)
View attachment 96109View attachment Chika Sprite Sheet.png

Dom Sprite Sheet (Dalia in my zako adventure)
Dom Sprite Sheet.png

Gogo Sprite Sheet (Vela in my zako adventure)
Gogo Sprite Sheet.png

Heel Sprite Sheet (Marta in my zako adventure)
Heel Sprite Sheet.png

Lola Sprite Sheet (Lorena in my zako adventure)
Lola Sprite Sheet.png

Rebel Sprite Sheet (Raelle in my zako adventure)
Rebel Sprite Sheet.png

Rocker Sprite Sheet (Roxie in my zako adventure)
Rocker Sprite Sheet.png

Miscellaneous Sprite Sheet
Misc Sprite Sheet.png

There are a few characters unavailable in the openBor version so I could not get their sprites.
However, I decided to play around a bit with these live action sprites and create a zako adventure story with them. The first part of it can be found in my new Zako Mix thread: Zako Mix: Adventures, Analysis, and Discussion

Here's a quick preview:
Badass Babes Zako Adventure Preview:
Bad Ass Babes Zako Story 03.png Bad Ass Babes Zako Story 04.png

In this particular zako adventure, I just use sprite bitmaps without any animations. However, as I get more comfortable with making animations I would like to begin incorporating more of them into my stories.

There is an updated version of Badass Babes available on Steam, and it apparently features a gun stage where you fight against nearly nude "Huntress" enemies:
ss_dbb0818ba854795e743b80ed67ef0be0a9c6fd8a.jpg

However I have not been able to find any playthroughs of the updated version.
That's it for now.
Let's keep the zako coming!

Last edited:

ttbitch69

Club Regular
Whips and "dominatrix" zako are definitely overused, especially when it comes to video games.
Fortunately, Linda seems to have moved away from being a "whip dominatrix" zako. Most modern Double Dragon games have her using knives, grenades, or most commonly just her fists. I would now consider her to be more of a standard "cannon fodder" zako than a "dominatrix" zako, and in my opinion that's a good thing.

I will have to do a post on the many different Linda variations some time. But for now: do y'all remember the game Badass Babes?
Campy game using live action sprites. The zako action starts at about 15:45 and continues throughout, and many of the zako are stripper themed and dealt with quite brutally by the heroines.

It's available on Steam, but there is also a free demo version that is playable on openBOR. That means I was able to access the sprites from the demo version and whip up some sprite sheets!

There are a few characters unavailable in the openBor version so I could not get their sprites.
However, I decided to play around a bit with these live action sprites and create a zako adventure story with them. The first part of it can be found in my new Zako Mix thread: Zako Mix: Adventures, Analysis, and Discussion

Here's a quick preview:

In this particular zako adventure, I just use sprite bitmaps without any animations. However, as I get more comfortable with making animations I would like to begin incorporating more of them into my stories.

There is an updated version of Badass Babes available on Steam, and it apparently features a gun stage where you fight against nearly nude "Huntress" enemies:

That's it for now.

Holy shit this game looks amazing! This is what Target Terror 2 should be like, if it ever comes out.

wj1905

Master of this Domain

Full Game Playthrough

Those opening title graphics... Geez! I have seen better stuff drawn in MS Paint. At first I thought this was a joke about a fan-made game...
The in-game graphics are thankfully better.
There are also some blonde amazons btw.
Zeus Begins Amazons1.png Zeus Begins Amazons2.png Zeus Begins Amazons3.png Zeus Begins Amazons4.png Zeus Begins Amazons5.png

And succubi (or Empusa) in the last level.
Zeus Begins-Empusa01.png Zeus Begins-Empusa02.png Zeus Begins-Empusa03.png Zeus Begins-Empusa04.png

Here's a quick preview:

That's it for now.

This is effin' amazing! Why did I never heard of this before???
The boss Gogo who fires boxing gloves out of her pussy... or punches from it with a boxing glove? This is hilarious and sexy. Also, quite a lot of nudity! Thanks! What year was this made in?

Last edited:

Kimblis

Ryonani Teamster
wj1905, according to the Badass Babes site on Steam it was released in September of 2016. I think there have been earlier demo versions floating around before that.
I also missed another zako from the newest update, also in a gun stage:
ss_85e7e8ee0de4f61df0decc9c16f41cfa4e82a60c.jpg

I see some good and some bad here.

The bad:
1. As others have mentioned, the enemies ALL seem very passive. They seem to just wait for the heroes to come beat them up, and when they do try to fight back it is with a single jab or, in Garnet's case, a single slap.

2. There are no KO sounds for the enemies, or any sounds from them at all. I don't just want to see what the Garnet and Victoria zakos look like. I also want to hear what they sound like.

3. The zakos have VERY few animations, and the same animations are recycled no matter what sort of attacks are being used on them. I did a whole post on this earlier, showing how games from as far back as 1989 had different zako animations depending on the type of attack used against them. It would be nice if a game from today had as much variety as a game from 30 years ago.

The good:
1. The zakos I've seen so far look very hot. I like how Victoria (the grenade girl) is not wearing the typical stripper or bimbo type of uniform for zakos in video games, but still manages to look very sexy. Garnet looks amazing as well, and even though her outfit is more revealing than Victoria's, it still looks more street punk style than stripper style.

2. I like that we have seen several color variations of the zako. My favorite is Garnet, but all of them look good. So far we have:
Garnet : blue outfit, light blonde hair with red streak
Streets of Rage 4 Garnet Zako.png

Diamond: pink outfit, reddish blonde hair with green streak
Streets of Rage 4 Diamond Zako.png

Ruby: green outfit, platinum blonde hair with red streak
Streets of Rage 4 Ruby Zako.png

Pyrop: red outfit, black hair with green streak
Streets of Rage 4 Pyrop Zako.png

Victoria: blue skinny jeans, white v-neck, black jacket, pink hair
Streets of Rage 4 Victoria Zako.png

Elizabeth: black skinny jeans, red V-neck, green jacket, pink hair
Streets of Rage 4 Elizabeth Zako.png

I hope there will be more even more variations in the final release.

To conclude: So far this game seems like a graphical update of the old games, with little added in terms of gameplay or new animations. I do remain hopeful, since this is still in development.

If there aren't any more zako animations than the ones we have seen thus far, well, I guess I will have to brush up on my sprite editing skills and see if I can create some of my own!

Last edited:

Tsukachan

Master of this Domain
wj1905, according to the Badass Babes site on Steam it was released in September of 2016. I think there have been earlier demo versions floating around before that.

The bad:
1. As others have mentioned, the enemies ALL seem very passive. They seem to just wait for the heroes to come beat them up, and when they do try to fight back it is with a single jab or, in Garnet's case, a single slap.

2. There are no KO sounds for the enemies, or any sounds from them at all. I don't just want to see what the Garnet and Victoria zakos look like. I also want to hear what they sound like.

3. The zakos have VERY few animations, and the same animations are recycled no matter what sort of attacks are being used on them. I did a whole post on this earlier, showing how games from as far back as 1989 had different zako animations depending on the type of attack used against them. It would be nice if a game from today had as much variety as a game from 30 years ago.

The good:
1. The zakos I've seen so far look very hot. I like how Victoria (the grenade girl) is not wearing the typical stripper or bimbo type of uniform for zakos in video games, but still manages to look very sexy. Garnet looks amazing as well, and even though her outfit is more revealing than Victoria's, it still looks more street punk style than stripper style.

2. I like that we have seen several color variations of the zako. My favorite is Garnet, but all of them look good. So far we have:

To conclude: So far this game seems like a graphical update of the old games, with little added in terms of gameplay or new animations. I do remain hopeful, since this is still in development.

If there aren't any more zako animations than the ones we have seen thus far, well, I guess I will have to brush up on my sprite editing skills and see if I can create some of my own!

I'm kinda confused why is the green Garnet/Soozie variant's name is Ruby. Emerald or Jade fits better though to keep up with their gemstone naming scheme

Also, Victoria reminds me of the medical guards from Fighters Club, albeit with a fair skin and a street-style attire

wj1905

Master of this Domain

The bad:

The good:

Garnet : blue outfit, light blonde hair with red streak
View attachment 96156

Diamond: pink outfit, reddish blonde hair with green streak
View attachment 96155

Ruby: green outfit, platinum blonde hair with red streak
View attachment 96158

Pyrop: red outfit, black hair with green streak
View attachment 96157

Victoria: blue skinny jeans, white v-neck, black jacket, pink hair
View attachment 96159

Elizabeth: black skinny jeans, red V-neck, green jacket, pink hair
View attachment 96160

Thanks! Oh so this is not so old. I thought this was around from the time of Mortal Kombat 2 or something, given the graphics. :)
Yeah I concur, the music could be better too, and the sound effects seem oddly missing. Enemies just amble around with lead-foot, sometimes accidentally sliding into you. The graphics are great and fluid, but that's all.

Kunoichi

Swell Supporter

Wayforward is a very talented dev team and I'm excited for this one. I also like how the zakos beg and you can even recruit them.

Tsukachan

Master of this Domain

So far sooooo gooood.... I think I saw a familiar whip-wielding zako in it, and she was none other than Double Dragon's Linda. It's not a surprise anymore since River City is one of Technos' IPs, like Double Dragon

Oh, and Misuzu looks so hot and buffed. I could imagine her wearing a swimsuit tho. What makes the game (kinda) funny to me is whenever you beat an enemy, there's a defeat dialogue. I saw one complaining about her make up, one calling for her mom/dad and one saying BLARG. And the recruit system is pretty funny too, since this game's tone is both comical and serious at the same time!!

Also, some of my favorite voice actors like Kira Buckland are there too!!

Kunoichi

Swell Supporter
So far sooooo gooood.... I think I saw a familiar whip-wielding zako in it, and she was none other than Double Dragon's Linda. It's not a surprise anymore since River City is one of Technos' IPs, like Double Dragon

Oh, and Misuzu looks so hot and buffed. I could imagine her wearing a swimsuit tho. What makes the game (kinda) funny to me is whenever you beat an enemy, there's a defeat dialogue. I saw one complaining about her make up, one calling for her mom/dad and one saying BLARG. And the recruit system is pretty funny too, since this game's tone is both comical and serious at the same time!!

Also, some of my favorite voice actors like Kira Buckland are there too!!

<3

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.