Could someone make a SWF import for her witch hat?:

The hat has to fit this hair import:

http://www.sdtmods.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=76.0;attach=66304;image

Mineur made the hair.

Earring
:

Mineur

Content Creator
Too bad the hat is too big for a static import so have to just +second this instead ^^

stuntcock

Content Creator
TDream said:
Could someone make a SWF import for her witch hat?
Yay! High-quality reference images!

The hat is fairly large and stylized; it really deserves an animated presentation. Existing techniques will allow us to add some flexibility to the crown and apply spring-tension to the corkscrew point. The floppy brim is also possible but might require some new code. I can animate it in the next few days if you can provide a vector trace (.fla, .ai, .svg). If you want me to trace it then I'll treat it as a low-priority item -- I'll revisit this Request when I've completed my current backlog.

----------------------

Problem: the hat would be pretty impractical for actual SDT gameplay -- its oversized brim would slice through his pelvis.

I can make the hat brim flutter up and down inertially (simulating air resistance) but I'm not willing to make it "fold up and out of the way" or "crumple inwards" when it encounters his body. So you'd need to decide how you want to proceed:
  • leave it as-is; let it clip through his body
    • perhaps the hat will be used in scenes with an invisible Him (e.g. floating penis) so the collision won't be noticeable
  • shrink the entire hat
    • note: this may produce new problems -- if we shrink the hat to fit her skull, then her hair will probably clip through the hat
  • shrink the hat brim while leaving the crown at full size
  • tilt the hat back at a jaunty angle
  • twist/fold the front portion of the brim upwards
  • any other suggestions?
We can, of course, combine several of these techniques. Instead of a 50% overall shrink, we could try a 15% shrink + 30° ccw tilt + 20% brim-shrink.

You don't need to worry about this stuff while tracing; just get an accurate copy of the lines and colours shown in the screenshot. When that's done, upload it along with a description (or sketch) of how you want the hat to fit.

stuntcock

Content Creator
TDream said:
I can wait. Make it like you want please.
Okay, my previous post wasn't entirely honest. I'll be more direct.

Throw me a frickin bone here. You've got a "Creative Type" tag beside your username. You've been active on the forum for years, and you're in the Top 10 posters. You've made lots of requests, and several of them have been fulfilled. Your reference images are good and you're consistently polite and thankful to modders. But you don't actually give back to the community by creating things. You contacted me directly about a hairstyle that you (apparently) really liked, but you balked when I suggested that you might need to contribute some work to the project. I can accept that; hairstyles are complex and it can take many hours to trace one properly.

By contrast, this hat is incredibly simple. It has no gradients, maybe twenty lines, and 5-6 colours. It's ideal for a first-time tracing task, because it has few hidden/overlapping features. We already have high-res reference images. It's a half-hour of work. Even if you're starting from scratch (installing the software, watching Youtube tutorials, importing the reference image, and figuring out how the tools work), it can be done in an evening. I was trying to goad you into doing tracing this (via "appeal to impatience" and "guilt-trip"), in the hope that you'd see "hey - it's not that difficult" and then you might contribute more artwork in the future. This would be especially useful in "boosting" your own Requests, because it's much easier for a modder to create an SWF import from an SVG file (instead of a PNG).

I'm not going to ask you to trace this thing. In fact, it wouldn't even be especially useful to me. After you upload your work, I would be forced to do a lot of additional path-and-fill work on top of it (because the shape must be subdivided into small segments before it can be animated, but a novice tracer would probably just sketch out the visible lines). The vector-trace suggestion wasn't really for my benefit; it was for yours.

However this isn't my Request. I've never seen this anime; I don't know anything about this character. If I make an accurate facsimile of a reference image, then I can rest assured - "anyone who liked the original character will enjoy my SWF." But if I twist and warp the design, then maybe I'll inadvertently ruin its appeal (because it no longer feels "dignified" or "fun and quirky" or "demure" or "mysterious" or whatever -- I don't even know which character attributes I should be emphasizing!). There's a risk that I'll spend many hours creating an SWF, but nobody actually uses it because my adaptation doesn't suit the character (or because it's too consistent with the original design, and it produces ugly clipping effects during gameplay).

Your motives may be entirely innocent - you're giving me artistic freedom and deferring to my judgment. But from my perspective, you possess important information about this design and you're refusing to share it. You're asking me to put in many hours of work, but you won't take five minutes to ponder how this item ought to behave in-game.

Ultimatum - please make a decision about how the hat should fit. If you won't, then I'm withdrawing my offer to mod it.

TDream

Potential Patron
I have no idea why I have that forum status and I have no experience or knowledge in drawing or animating stuff.

I have no idea how the hat should fit or what way it would be best to make it because I have 0 experience in this + my English is not the best (even if it doesn't sound that way) I get confused with words or long sentences or text. I hope you understand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.