14 Feb 18 - Mod.fla template v0.98.3 (2 Viewers)

Faceless

Content Creator
New template version. Main thing is that a bunch of stuff that used to be handled in frameRefresh() is now handled via proxy methods. The way I've implemented them, the proxy methods are basically tied into the actual UI event handling chain, so rather than getting called every frame they only get called when changes are made. This should reduce improve performance, although to what extent I can't say.

Faceless

Content Creator
@Samoth brought to my attention that the proxy method registration for listeners wasn't obvious. So I've added warnings to all the appropriate components.

Also, her jaw and lips are now updated via proxy methods rather than Event.ENTER_FRAME.

Irastris

Content Creator
Can this be used with Animate CC, or do I absolutely have to legitimately purchase a copy of Flash CS6? None of my published SWFs load in SDT, so I'm starting to think that it's so.

Also, just wanna point out that the latest update to this template has a syntax error at line 241. The end comment line is improperly typed as */ when it should be /*

Irastris

Content Creator
Well great, my mod still refuses to display. It shows the tutorial text on screen if I leave it enabled when publishing, but my vector art will not show up no matter what I do. Maybe it's because I'm importing an SVG from Inkscape instead of drawing it directly in Flash?

EDIT:
Huzzah! Finally got it working. It seems that the drawing must overlay the reference in some way, so all I had to do was move my drawing from the Chest to the Backside layer.

Last edited:

stuntcock

Content Creator
It seems that the drawing must overlay the reference in some way
This is not universally true.

The BACK and CHEST layers employ masks in order to manage overlap between adjacent bodyparts. The right thigh has a similar (but optional) mask which is used for blending.

If you're adding stuff away from the overlap areas then you can usually ignore the mask stuff. Drawing wings onto the shoulderblades (back), adding a pot-belly (chest), or inserting a tail between the buttocks (backside) ... these should all be OK.

If you want to draw a new element which spans across multiple bodyparts (deliberately crossing over the bodypart borderrs) then you may need to use fancier modding techniques in order to ensure that it gets drawn correctly. Especially when you start to worry about whether the new sprite will be influenced by HSLC sliders, whether it will appear above or below clothing, whether semen strands should be able to stick to it, and so on.

Irastris

Content Creator
This is not universally true.

The BACK and CHEST layers employ masks in order to manage overlap between adjacent bodyparts. The right thigh has a similar (but optional) mask which is used for blending.

If you're adding stuff away from the overlap areas then you can usually ignore the mask stuff. Drawing wings onto the shoulderblades (back), adding a pot-belly (chest), or inserting a tail between the buttocks (backside) ... these should all be OK.

If you want to draw a new element which spans across multiple bodyparts (deliberately crossing over the bodypart borderrs) then you may need to use fancier modding techniques in order to ensure that it gets drawn correctly. Especially when you start to worry about whether the new sprite will be influenced by HSLC sliders, whether it will appear above or below clothing, whether semen strands should be able to stick to it, and so on.

Oh jeez. SDT is just seeming more and more advanced by the second.
Thanks for the info, stuntcock!

Huitznahua

Content Creator
First : thanks for your template. Usually I'm using the @sby one but I'm currently for the first to make a mod for him and I've a problem.

On the left : the mod in Animate. On the right : the mod in game

Is there any way to make the torso appears properly behind the left leg without redrawing from scratch ?

stuntcock

Content Creator
Is there any way to make the torso appears properly behind the left leg without redrawing from scratch ?
Check the scripting. You've probably assigned the left leg drawing as skin, whereas you've assigned the torso drawing as clothing. Torso clothing has visual priority over leg skin, but leg clothing should appear on top of torso clothing.

If you try to adjust the "His Skin" HSL sliders then you may notice changes in the the pants. That would be a clear indication that the assignment isn't correct.

You're looking for something like this:
Code:
// This code should be active
loader.loadManual(hthighl, him.leftLegCostume);

// This code should be commented out
// loader.loadManual(hthighl, him.leftLeg);

Huitznahua

Content Creator
Nope, adjusting the skin color changes the right hand color but that's all. All the outfit parts stay unchanged.

I think I've carefully follow the comments in the action panel but here's the file in case you want to check by yourself.

stuntcock

Content Creator
I think I've carefully follow the comments in the action panel
You're correct. There were no mistakes in the scripting. I had misremembered the precedence of layers in the male body; they're somewhat uncooperative.

Possible solutions:
  • draw the full torso costume onto the skin
    • fixes the layering issue
    • problem: torso costume will be influenced by HSL sliders
  • mask/crop the torso costume
    • problem: visual flaws appear for some leg positions (e.g. hip section of cloth occults the thigh cloth, buttocks become partially exposed)
    • note: this problem would not be unique to your mod; it occurs even with the vanilla clothing. @Konashion did not intend for the guy to exhibit much flexibility.

I've added a simple mask to the file, but it might be wiser to ignore/discard my file and draw your own mask into your project. I made some script changes during troubleshooting, and I'm not 100% sure that I reverted all of them.

KJnRsHB.jpg

Huitznahua

Content Creator
note: this problem would not be unique to your mod; it occurs even with the vanilla clothing. @Konashion did not intend for the guy to exhibit much flexibility.
That's what I thought. The male body have strange proportions and some body parts have weird shapes : I was so confused by the design, I really hated drawing this mod. If I do a mod for him again, I'll probably start by making a new body.

I'm probably going to test some new design (sigh :frown:) and if I do not succeed, I would opt for the mask solution.

Thanks for the troubleshooting.

Iago

Content Creator
Hello, I've recently started using your template and I've got a couple of very newbie questions. I hope you don't mind answering them:

First, I started making a top for him following the tutorial. I discovered that the girl got "hidden" behind the top and I didn't want that to happen so I open one of the files that Dante so kindly shared (Piccolo) and found that he was using:

loader.loadManual(htorso, him.torsoLayer.torso);
instead of:
loader.loadManual(htorso, him.overLayer.torso.costume);
which was the "default" option. My question is: How did he know? I mean how do I get to know the "structure" of a variable? Is there a guide somewhere? Does some option from Animate that I'm not aware of allow you to see the declaration of a specific variable (I'm using C++ terminology, I'm not sure how to call it in flash) so that you can see all the ramifications of "him"?

Second: I've tried to create a top with sleeves but the sleeves didn't overlay properly the default left arm. Do I have to design the whole arm and forget about the default one or am I forgetting to do something or uncommenting the wrong lines?

Faceless

Content Creator
My question is: How did he know? I mean how do I get to know the "structure" of a variable? Is there a guide somewhere? Does some option from Animate that I'm not aware of allow you to see the declaration of a specific variable (I'm using C++ terminology, I'm not sure how to call it in flash) so that you can see all the ramifications of "him"?
If you decompile SDT and poke around the sprites, you can see what children any particular sprite has.

Second: I've tried to create a top with sleeves but the sleeves didn't overlay properly the default left arm. Do I have to design the whole arm and forget about the default one or am I forgetting to do something or uncommenting the wrong lines?
Show me what you mean.

Iago

Content Creator
If you decompile SDT and poke around the sprites, you can see what children any particular sprite has.
Makes sense, I somehow asumed that the sprites were specific of the template. Thanks, I'll have a look at it.

Show me what you mean.
I seem to have deleted both the .fla and the .swf completely from my computer. Next time I find time to mod I'll retry the sleeves thing and tell you how did it go. Sorry for bothering you.

Iago

Content Creator
Ok, I've tried to make a sleeve again and I had (almost) no problems at all this time. For what I remember from last time it seems that I mistook the right arm template for the left (I'm gonna need to go back to Sesame Street XD) with something set as an overlayer so the sleeve appeared over the left arm, but displaced and static (since the right arm wasn't moving). Anyway, everything seems fine now.

Iago

Content Creator
Here I am again (sorry for triple-posting but I'm not sure if editing the last post will be noticed). The left arm works right, the right one... not so much. It stays stuck at some fixed point in the screen. I think I've followed the same steps as with the left arm but clearly I'm doing something wrong. This time I've made my homework (clearly not enough or I wouldn't be here at all XD) and can offer the .fla file and a capture (I'll delete them when I get an answer).

Edit: Never mind. I think i've got it. Used to mod the girl, I was trying to copy/paste the left arm parts in the right ones, but neither the coordenates nor the shapes where the same.

Last edited:

Iago

Content Creator
I'm back with new problems, I'm afraid. I thought I got the sleeves finally right but when I loaded an Animtools Position where the arm position was changed from the original (to be more specific, when the "enable custom his arm" variable was set to "enabled") the sleeve appeared at the default position (the position the arm should be with the variable "disabled") instead of at the modified one. Like this (I'll delete the image later):

(Deleted)
My question is: is there a fix to this? What am I missing this time?

Last edited:

Faceless

Content Creator
Iago Iago That's probably because the arm costume layers are something I kitbashed together, and aren't actually in the proper object hierarchy. If you don't use animtools and change his arm position using the menu, what happens?

EDIT: Check the updateHisArmCostume() method. Is it actually implemented, or is there stuff commented out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.