What is a good program to use for making custom characters? (1 Viewer)

deleteman900

Potential Patron
I have heard that Inkscape was alright for making hairs, but if I was trying to make a base skin for a character how would I do that? Looking at maybe doing Miss Martian from Young Justice and a couple of others. I was thinking of trying to use Photoshop CS6, is this the correct program or do I need something else?

anonymous

Avid Affiliate
deleteman900 said:
I have heard that Inkscape was alright for making hairs, but if I was trying to make a base skin for a character how would I do that? Looking at maybe doing Miss Martian from Young Justice and a couple of others. I was thinking of trying to use Photoshop CS6, is this the correct program or do I need something else?
If you are talking about modifying the skin color and such that can be done inside of the game, otherwise you need Flash to do anything complicated.

deleteman900

Potential Patron
Okay, just to make sure that is photoshop right? I asked somewhere else and they told me to use flash player. I already figure out how to use the modder .swf's export I just need something to actually edit the .png with so I got photoshop and was going to try that. Sorry if I am confusing.

idkmybffdave

Potential Patron
You can edit stuff with photoshop, but you're going to need to use flash professional (not flash player) to make it work within the game. Check out the tutorial section - http://superdeepthroat.undertow.club/index.php?board=14.0

anonymous

Avid Affiliate
deleteman900 said:
Okay, just to make sure that is photoshop right? I asked somewhere else and they told me to use flash player. I already figure out how to use the modder .swf's export I just need something to actually edit the .png with so I got photoshop and was going to try that. Sorry if I am confusing.
No, Flash CS5, as in Flash Professional CS5.

You can use Photoshop/Inkscape/GIMP or any other photo editing software to edit png templates.

You need Flash Professional to edit the .fla template.

deleteman900

Potential Patron
so in other words cs6 won't work but cs5 will? alright I will take a look and see if photoshop works, if not I think I know someone who can lend me a copy of flash professional

deleteman900

Potential Patron
I could give it a try, which one is easier to pick up though? trying to ease into it before I get a hundred programs and cant use any of them correctly.

ElQonquiztador

Potential Patron
deleteman900 said:
I could give it a try, which one is easier to pick up though? trying to ease into it before I get a hundred programs and cant use any of them correctly.
Well, I've pretty much always used GIMP, so I'm proficient with it. I don't know much about Photoshop, so I can't give you advice on that. You might want to try both and see which you like better. Or just pick one and stick with it if it works well.

deleteman900

Potential Patron
okay, installing flash pro and I will give it a whirl, suggestions for a test character? I was thinking perhaps trying starfire, because there are already good examples of what the finished product should look like to reference from.

ElQonquiztador

Potential Patron
What exactly are you trying to make? Are you trying to make a full costume, or just a hair? A dynamic hair? If you just want to make a static hair import, you only need an image editing program. If you want to make a costume or dynamic hair, then you need Flash.

deleteman900

Potential Patron
probably do a static hair first then if that goes well I might try to do a dynamic hair. I don't really want to mess with costumes for the most part because it takes too much time and I can always come back later and do it again if I want. but thanks for the clarification everybody!

deleteman900

Potential Patron
This might sound kind of dumb but please bear with me, I got GIMP because of Voltlight's detailed tutorial, figuring it might be a good place to start. Got the first couple of steps down fine then realized in his guide he has a blank head template? where do I get this? I'm only asking because it seems kind of important to the process.

idkmybffdave

Potential Patron
deleteman900 said:
This might sound kind of dumb but please bear with me, I got GIMP because of Voltlight's detailed tutorial, figuring it might be a good place to start. Got the first couple of steps down fine then realized in his guide he has a blank head template? where do I get this? I'm only asking because it seems kind of important to the process.

http://superdeepthroat.undertow.club/index.php?topic=6.msg4238#msg4238

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.