What programs do you all use to create 3D models? (1 Viewer)

horatiojones80

Content Creator
I see a lot of 3D rendered zako here and 3D modeling/design is not something I'm familiar with. I've been doing a lot of 2D art for a while but I'm getting sick of all the scaling/sizing issues and being able to create a 3D model might be helpful even if all I do is take screenshots of it from different angles and make sprites out of it for game dev. I know Blender is the main free program people use but I've also heard it has a bit of a learning curve.

Some things about me
  • I have no actual artistic talent, nor do I own a tablet
  • I am decent at modding games and am making my own right now (It's almost done)
  • I have a programming/scripting background and am good at figuring stuff out if I'm persistent over time
  • I'd prefer to use already existing skeletons and assets and build on them, even a posing program as opposed to making my own 3D models, but I might not be able to because I am into bigger women and petite anime girls don't do anything for me
  • I've tried SFM and Source Engine and it made me want to saw my own head off with how fucking finicky and tedious it was
  • I'm mostly on Linux but I have a Windows 10 machine
  • Extra points if I can place these assets in Garrys Mod or Arma afterwards because I am familiar with modding those games, but again, I can always do the screenshot + photoshop method.
What do you guys use to create Zako characters?

fleet

Staff
Admin
Forums Moderator
RM Moderator
Content Creator
I don't create Zako characters, but I have used DAZ 3D to create characters for visual novels. DAZ is free to download and use. It has a lot of free assets that are available at shareCG and the free section at renderosity.

horatiojones80

Content Creator
I don't create Zako characters, but I have used DAZ 3D to create characters for visual novels. DAZ is free to download and use. It has a lot of free assets that are available at shareCG and the free section at renderosity.
Thanks. I will check this out. A Visual Novel tool might work fine for me as long as I can easily use it to create sprites

fleet

Staff
Admin
Forums Moderator
RM Moderator
Content Creator
Visual novel software (such as Ren'py) often comes with built-in 2-D sprites, but they tend to be static images (you can't give them unique poses). DAZ 3D or Poser software would probably be better suited for what you want to do. Please be advised that, unlike DAZ 3D, Poser is not free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.