[PC] Nightmare Sphere (2 Viewers)

d£t

nu
Ryonani Teamster
I believe somebody said they were going to post about this but I didn't see it anywhere.

http://page.freett.com/mickmanx/NS/

This is a side scrolling slasher/platformer game with some rape/ryona/futa elements to it. It doesn't require AppLocale or Japanese Unicode. Myself I have an issue playing this game where if I hold down a key, the game randomly acts like I let go of the key very frequently making the gameplay rather frustrating. I've tried setting the priority to different levels but that doesn't seem to fix anything. I couldn't see anyone else having this issue though so maybe it's just me. Besides that it's a pretty solid game if you enjoy games like ROA and Fairy War.
07413547313494281658.jpg

68267449105938956614.jpg

fedefyr

Ryonani Teamster
Nice...thought about uploading it myself, but i was too lazy..mailed the creator once about making a game with me...he said he was interested, but currently had other plans :3

Black Lion

Ryonani Teamster
I've tried this game, but my computer is too old to run it. The videos I've seen, however, make me wish it could.

d£t

nu
Ryonani Teamster
That's quite depressing, the game has the look and feel of something that was made in 1995, but even the author's website seems to state you need a 3 Ghz processor to run it.

noice1

Potential Patron
I was able to run it on my P4 2.4ghz, but it eats up a LOT of it. If I even mess with the processor priority on the options, it locks up my PC.

Still, though, great game, I love the Castlevania-style side scrollers. One of the best free ryona games I've played (maybe I haven't seen a lot?).

C

constantcramps

Hey, everyone, if you want to actually play this game without the constant annoyance of the button issue, go to the page d£t linked, and download the NEW DATA FILE.

Note, that this isn't the GAME, just a set of data for it. You have to put the application in the folder that's created.

And then, set the priority to 3 (that's what worked for me). Presto! No more glitchy buttons!

Now, if anyone has a solution to it crashing every 5 minutes, please let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

constantcramps

Really? Hmm....it worked for me....

If only we could combine our computers, the game would play perfectly. XD

Mardion

Potential Patron
Pretty nice as a platform game, been playing a while and I like the new abilities and the freedom of movement they give you. There's lots to be explored and the enemies are at the right difficulty. The ability to set a teleportation spot at anytime is a big plus.

As a ryona game though it doesn't really stand out. The only decent move your opponents have is sitting on you when you've fallen, a move which is pretty much identical for all of your enemies. Even the bosses seem to fall into the same template with a few variations, like the flying succubus that materialises vines around you (and that's pretty much all she does besides throwing projectiles). Quite disappointing to tell the truth.

Mardion

Potential Patron
Sorry for the double post but I have to set the record straight after playing some more. Turns out after playing some more there are enemies with different attacks, heck there's even an electric chair that has her sitting and being electrocuted as soon as she touches it! A few of the bosses also have something different in the way of ryona grabs. The bad news about them is that the bosses attack with projectiles all the time, and being hit by one makes you invulnerable for a few seconds, meaning the boss then passes right through her in the attempt to grab her >.< Against that walking octopus-like creature for example you have to go to the other side and wait a few seconds when you see it accumulate power, then double jump and air dash right behind it ; if you time it right the flames will miss and she will land near it as it initiates its ryona-grab dash. Phew.

But what should be appealing to several people here is what happens if, after losing, you don't press 'P' to restart your game and instead leave it there. What happens is almost evil! That is enough to retract my statement and safely say it stands out as a ryona game! HOWever it is still disappointing that most of your enemies have no other ryona moves other than that repetitive one. Seriously, you're fighting a freaking wolf and as soon as he gets the chance he sits on her and starts raping her?? He should be biting and ripping her flesh off for Pete's sake, that's what wolves do where I'm from!!! And the fire level, geez, how is it entertaining or ryona-helping when your character loses health just by standing there? It just means you have to teleport to the health-reviving savepoint over and over again. The wind part I can understand (eventhough the keys bug make it frustrating) but this is just a bad idea.

sickle

Potential Patron
I believe somebody said they were going to post about this but I didn't see it anywhere.
That would've been me! I was just logging back in to make this thread. Lost my chance to reach fame I guess : )

One thing that I believe you guys haven't mentioned so far is the fact that NS is, hands down, the absolute best Ryona game out there, as far as gameplay is concerned - it's routinely mentioned when someone rounds up the best firmware games, and, when it isn't, it's mostly due to its controversial content rather than its bugs.
Your character can go through a great deal of combos, making fighting satisfying even against the somewhat samey mooks, and I think this is the best metroidvania out there as far as vertical elevation is concerned - Relm will eventually get a megaman X like wall jump, multiple air jumps and dashes, and quite a few fun vertical moves - it's really satisfying to jump all around the boss room pulling toghether all sort of dodge-move chains.

The rape/ryona element is pretty well integrated in gameplay in my opinion. First of all, it's very easy to skip! A skilled player will barely see any, since most attacks are easy to avoid and/or break out of, and even if you're not a gaming wiz, you'll probably see very little unless you purposingly look for it. Same holds true for the opposite - you can confortably warp to your most arousing enemy through the save points, and a convenient jail will gather all the game's bosses in an easily reached spot for you to throw yourself at when they conveniently turn red.
It's also fairly important story-wise - your morality meter will determine which of the (three?) endings you get, and the power of some of the weapons - but also as a gameplay device. I usually laugh in the face of enemies in games like this, but the thought of even the lowliest goblin being able to rape my character (and drain not-so-easily-refilled morality form her) manages to keep me on my toes - make me hate them. And, if you choose to let some enemies have their way with Relm, she'll get the ability to rape human characters herself!

Finally, a couple of suggestions:
1) Start upgrading your weapons by spending 2 points on the sword's up+attack move; it'll be your first double jump. Down+attack should come next, since it chains nicely with the above. The hammer's down attack is especially powerful, and it makes pretty much everything in the game soil its pants.
2) Spend points in Strength and Quickness first, but don't max out anything - you'll find power up spheres around that boost a stat, and those are points that'll go wasted if you maxed out.
3) Be careful not to forget a boss! The game doesn't keep track of which of the many dead ends you'll eventually have in the map have a living boss to their name, and you might end up leaving very useful stuff behind (happened to me with the wall jump).
4) Relm is (somewhat) invincible when she's engaged in her special moves (such as up + attack), and completely untouchable when she uses both attacks at the same time. Game'll get a lot easier once you figure it out.

Well, hope you enjoy this little jewel despite my very late contribution... writing about it made me feel like going through a few bosses myself, in fact. Off I go!

EDIT:

Now, if anyone has a solution to it crashing every 5 minutes, please let me know.
Happened to me on my new Windows 7 installation (just after posting this, as a matter of fact). The game used to work smoothly when I had Xp, so I figured the problem would get fixed by setting the game to run on compatibility mode with Xp (right click, proprieties, compatibility). Worked perfectly for me, give it a try, let me know if it still doesn't work.

Myself I have an issue playing this game where if I hold down a key, the game randomly acts like I let go of the key very frequently making the gameplay rather frustrating
It's a pretty common issue apparently. For most people, it's triggered by changing locations, especially when the music changes, so, although there's no fix, you can reduce frustration by anticipating when the interruption will occour.
I believe the freezing detailed above takes place due to music related issues as well, so turning off the music might work? It would be a pity though, this game has a splendid soundtrack.

I've tried this game, but my computer is too old to run it.
And that's a real bi*ch.
Gamemaker games are terrible resource hogs. You could see if performance improves a little by changing the compatibility mode (iirc Gamemaker was fairly popular 10 years ago), but, honestly, I wouldn't know. I am sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:

d£t

nu
Ryonani Teamster
Thanks for the review of the game. I'd shelved it for awhile because of the issue with the keys but it turns out if I just use IJKL instead of the arrow keys it works fine.

...FFFFUUUUUUU- :nose bleed:
So anyone else that was having the same issue as me, just don't use the arrow keys for movement and you should be fine. If you're having issues with very slow gameplay, try unplugged any extra USB devices or gamepads before starting the game. I wish the game had a little bit higher resolution characters but I guess I shouldn't complain. Now that I can play without wanting to rip my hair out, it is much more enjoyable.

Mardion

Potential Patron
Re: the keys, is that true??? If only I knew that before finishing the game, that would have spared me a lot of frustration! Maybe I'll finish it again to get the ending I missed. Another feature I missed was the ability to wield two weapons (or orbs) simultaneously. Just press Attack Button 1 (Z by default) on the first weapon and Attack Button 2 (X by default) on the second. This is especially helpful in the "elemental" levels. In my previous post I complained about the continuous life draining in the life level, that can be changed just by having the water orb activated while being there! Same with the air level and the earth orb.

Regarding the endings, there are two factors which decide which one you get. The first is your Corruption level at the end. Pure goes for the "good" ending , corrupt goes for the "evil" ending. The other is whether you kill humans during the game. If you do, then in the end the boss will be an evil demon (not spoiling the rest) , if you don't kill any then you fight against an angel. So be careful with that corruption meter, if you let enemies rape you and continue the game afterwards, you will be stuck in Brute Mode automatically killing any humans and lose the chance to get the "very good" ending.

And although I still believe that this game lacks somewhat in ryona, I'll agree with Sickle that this is one of the best ryona games out there in terms of gameplay. Anyone can enjoy this game, I dare say it's almost as fun as the old Castlevania games. If only there were more like it out there.

PS: Regarding the Prison, the only bosses that don't appear there are the final bosses and your clone. So remember to keep a savegame intact just before reaching the clone if you want to be able to fight her anytime (and if someone has a savegame like that, please upload it here if it's not too much trouble).

noice1

Potential Patron
Yeah your corruption level goes up if you drain or kill humans. Best thing to do is avoid them. To regain good spirit "karma", kill enemies around the humans, and they will throw out some white orbs for you to gather.

Also, there is a debug mode that makes you invincible, if I remember correctly. I don't have the game anymore but it's something simple like a single key. I wish I could remember but just hunt around on the keyboard it should be one of them. I had to do this for one of the bosses (I think all the way in the bottom left corner, it was some giant pit of slime and you had to jump up on the enemy and wait for just the right moment to attack). It was beyond frustrating. So if you get stuck that should carry you through any boss fight. Hope this helps anyone still playing.

sickle

Potential Patron
I complained about the continuous life draining in the life level, that can be changed just by having the water orb activated while being there! Same with the air level and the earth orb.
I hadn't noticed that - pretty sure I had tried...
Thanks, it will be helpful in my new playthrough! Using "keep" every few steps in the fire area wasn't exactly fun, and let's not mention the bosses.

Neonie

Ryonani Teamster
Yeah, that key thing is annoying. Otherwise alright.

This game runs fine on English Unicode settings.

But I also had this issue at first you can fix it by changing your settings in the game itself to make sure it is set to English ;)
That fixed it for me, now it is very responsive and i no longer have that key bug.

Anwyay its a great game, well worth downloading, it is very long though. I still have not managed to finish it and i have had it for months already :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.