Mortal Kombat 9 (1 Viewer)

Umina

Ryonani Teamster
Me? I don't know what moves there really are seeing as I've seen nothing but fatalities.... Doesn't have to be throws, just punches, kicks, regular special moves that aren't gorey, x-ray-y things.

You don't have to make it, if that's why you're asking.

Ginazi

Ryonani Teamster
There are a few interesting standard moves like Jax's or Goro's throws whereby they grab their opponents by their limbs or face and smash them against the ground, Johnny Cage' low blows or when Jax lifts a foe in the air and punches her face in.

Besides, for me even simple punches and kicks can be interesting if the girl on the receiving end is attractive (which is certainly the case in MK games).

onlinehero

Casual Client
Has anyone else noticed such "feature" in this game that if you get beaten more than 3 times by same enemy in ladder mode, cpu stops doing any resistance and gives you beat it freely. I tried to google in order to find some way to turn this thing off because it's really really annoying and makes video capturing pain in the ass. For example if I let Goro beat me 3-4 times, in 5th round it does absolutely nothing anymore, just stands there waiting for me to beat it up. And I'm just standing there waiting for it to beat me up :( I can leave the controller on table, go to a lunch and when I come back, my character is still alive. This is so NOT FUNNY.

BTW Kintaro has one of the sexiest winposes I can think of:
kitanaaah.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

pirajacinto

Ryonani Teamster
Wow, that's just fabicious. It reminds me of Shin Akuma and how he holds up the opponents head. But this is WAY more awesome.

Ginazi

Ryonani Teamster
Has anyone else noticed such "feature" in this game that if you get beaten more than 3 times by same enemy in ladder mode, cpu stops doing any resistance and gives you beat it freely. I tried to google in order to find some way to turn this thing off because it's really really annoying and makes video capturing pain in the ass. For example if I let Goro beat me 3-4 times, in 5th round it does absolutely nothing anymore, just stands there waiting for me to beat it up. And I'm just standing there waiting for it to beat me up :( I can leave the controller on table, go to a lunch and when I come back, my character is still alive. This is so NOT FUNNY.

This really sucks. It would be understandable if there was an option to turn it off so only people who don't have the patience would skip certain hard fights, but as it is it is simply stupid. But then, many modern games are designed to offer gamers the path of least resistance, whether said gamers want it or not. I remember being really frustrated while playing Amnesia at some point. There was a monster in a corridor that I had to slip by. I failed, he caught me and beat the living shit out of me. So I tried again attempting to use different tactics only to find out that the monster disappeared for good. Something like that completely destroys atmosphere of a survival horror.

And that pic you posted is really awesome. In my opinion this may be the best winpose I have ever seen in any video game. The girl looks both extremely vulnerable and humiliated.

Raden

Wordsmith
Ryonani Teamster
Can't say I'm a fan of Fatalities. Too many of them involve dismembering/decapitating/mutilating your opponent. Now who would want to mutilate such a fine-looking individual like Kitana? Or Jade?

I prefer the Fatalities that keep the victims in relatively one piece (and no, the burn-skin-off-your-victim ones don't count).

I dunno, I don't mind it. I'm not into guro either. For some odd reason, MK is the only series I tolerate that kind of stuff... maybe just because it's such a core part of it. I probably would not enjoy it very much if fatalities were present in say, Tekken, or Street Fighter.

BTW Kintaro has one of the sexiest winposes I can think of:
kitanaaah.jpg

Shao Khan missed that memo then. Guy's a dick. He cheaped me, so I cheaped him back: Fireball party with Liu Kang, and with Raiden, it was "he attacks, I teleport and torpedo his stupid ass, then back away so he does it again." lol.

Is that true with the challenge ladder too? That's the main rewason I haven't done it, to be honest I suck and I know it. Will they just say "oh fine, you suck ass, so we'll just stand here so you can beat the shit out of us" in that mode?

Last edited by a moderator:

Snowballs

Ryonani Teamster
Just found this on geckup's deviantart page. It's blood amazing.

Attachments

• 132763919196.jpeg
    132763919196.jpeg
    286.5 KB · Views: 193

randomguy

Ryonani Teamster
I HATE this series and this game is bad just like every entry in the franchise. The graphics are late ps2 quality (Virtua fighter 5 looks better and that came out around ps3 launch) the character designs have always been copy paste(not different and this one.) Yeah I know Street Fighter has four copy past characters with Ryu Akuma and Ken and Sakura. But at least they have different body structures and head sculpts and it is only those four. MK has the ninjas then the female ninjas then the robots then the four armed guys then the wizards and then about five who are not. And the outfits are so bland it is comedy specially if you are a female in this series since none of them now how a fucking shirt works

The animation in this game is pure crap. It's so clunky looking that it looks like a early ps1 game in terms of animation(the old tekkens animated better) and the fighting engine is still garbage. The new super special moves they all have should literally end the match with what they do. Hell with those moves both fighters should be dead. I know some of you will now point at soul calibur and say but people stab one another with swords and yes they do but I don't see and x-ray vision of vital organs going boom so I can suspend my disbelief a lot easier. Hell some of these moves where fatalities at one time. Hell the fatalties in this game are only the second worst in the franchise(worst was Armageddon) they are all mostly just decapitation. Because THAT doesn't get repetitive nooo not at all.

Finally the story this is the best part only because I am not playing MK. The long drug out cutscenes with a story that tries hard to be "fleshed out" but only leaves me laughing my ass off at how dumb it is. Friends and I play story mode just to riff on the cutscenes. If the gameplay was not shit I would probably complain that the long ass cutscenes bog down the gameplay but since it sucks and the cutscenes are hilariously bad it is the best part. I should also mention the first half of the story is a rip off of the damn movie. Ah Ed Boon your creativity never starts.

side note- originally Sonya was not going to be in MK 1. She was added later by the request of the publisher since Chun-li was such a popular character. I also liked how in that game every fighter was the same with a special move. Cept Sonya she does half damage and isn't faster. GOOD GAME DESIGN WUT DAT

thesteedman

Ryonani Teamster
I've always liked MK, to me it’s been the Evil Dead series of computer games. It knows what it is and it simply plays on it. After MK III I didn't play another MK game until deception, and Deception was very poorly made. It's highlight was the beginning cutscene, to which I still believe to this day that their entire budget for the game was spent on, leaving them with no money to polish the rest of the game. It was clunky, the fatalities were not exactly great but better then some, voice acting and story where god awful... but... I damn well enjoyed the game. Like a B movie, this was a B video game. There was a ton of content in this game that literally just kept me going and going, and the puzzle kombat game included kept me and my friends entertained for ages. My friends would literally come around just to play off against each other in Puzzle Kombat.

The game to me gave me an impression it knew it was crap, but did the best it could with the crap it had to offer... and just really entertained me. I loved the documentaries within the game and all the concept art. Armageddon though swayed me as it just seemed equally poor without the same amount of content, and I totally skipped MK vs DC because I knew that was a disaster from the beginning.

The latest MK game though takes me back to Deception, though with a significant improvement to gameplay. True the balance is shot to hell, with online mode throwing Ermac's, Scorpions, smoke's and Kang's all day long at my Stryker (who I did pretty well with sometimes :P), but what it lacked in legit competitive play, it made up for in one player content. The storyline... it wasn't brilliant no, but for me it was really fun. Johnny Cage made me laugh because they tried to make him funny and he really wasn't, which in on itself amused me and made him likable. The story wasted a few hours too, giving a fair few fighters some good screen time. My friend who hates fighting games actually enjoyed it too... up until the last boss which was a bit silly and hard to defeat but he did it in the end.

We joked how the characters all had the same height and build, but in spite of that you can see the developers went to work to try and revamp the series, and I personally like what they did. Backgrounds were pretty fun, the characters themselves I found pretty fun, especially Stryker. It was never going to be an epic game they wanted it to be, but the game is fun, and that is all I ever ask out of a game for my money. Its story mode, despite being mediocre really kicks other games in the bollocks for the immersion for the MK world. In every single fighting game, I only know about the characters personalities and backgrounds because of wikipedia, MK did it right by my book giving us a mode to tell a story of the game and the characters within it. It was flawed, but it was there and it was fun.

Fatalities do need some work though. Some of them were pretty good, but quite literally only some. The others were just the same kind of thing, a limb flying off here, a head pulled off there. They could have put more imagination to their fatalities. I did love the x-ray attacks though, but they should have had less power in them rather than taking half your health, and the counter special seemed out of place completely being worth two bars as well, just to get out of a combo. These were issues that really came out as a problem when it came to online play, but in the end I simply avoided online for one player and I wasn’t disappointed.

If MK want to keep their heads above water with their franchise, they need to start from scratch again I believe. The system they had wasn’t bad, but I think MK needs to keep ahead of its own game and completely update each time. A problem with fighting games, especially SC and Tekken is that there is too much rinse and repeat going on. I haven’t bought a Tekken game since 4 simply because I swear it’s the same movesets getting put in each time with a few extra characters slapped in. True can be said for street fighter, but at least they change the engine of combat each game (super, ultra’s not included XD). SF 2, SF3, and SF 4 are totally different games to their benefit despite Ryu’s constant unchanging HADOKEN!’s XD

But yah, going off topic, I enjoyed the latest MK, enough so that I kept the game and intent to play it again every now and then. I may even look forwards to the next one, along as it isn’t more of the same :P

randomguy

Ryonani Teamster
the last MK game or as I like to call it Mortal Kombat Trilogy HD Retkon Edition. The game's gameplay felt dated(along with the animation looking ps1 quality) and the x-ray attacks felt like the biggest gimmick and annoyed me as to how the fight would keep going when we see their organ's being visibly destroyed.

Admin note:
Moved the post here. Please try to rant at least in the right thread next time. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.