Mortal Kombat 11 (1 Viewer)

RyonaDamsels

Ryonani Teamster
I think the aim wasn't to look "mature and respectful" but more "grounded" and practical, the old ones would show more skin or be more "sexy," but they where just plain stupid, nobody would wear it in a real fight scenario, the new designs embraces each characters personality. You don't need to hate the game, there's shure going to have more revealing outfits in the full game, if not, there will always be mods, you probably even get then nude

This some of what the developers said ........... and the result

Also regarding the " real fight scenario " , There is a more chance you will see fighting sports with brawling/grabs that require as less clothes as possible or as tight as possible than ones that require much or loose clothes

Overall I always respect developers creativity and choices and It is a video game made for fun after all so Realism isnt required , but what the developers did here in this game is a clear hypocrisy that contradict with what they said and some of what they said in interviews is an insult to women's freedom in what they do with their body and clothes when they alluded that their view to respect women is " Less Skin = More respect " as if women who prefer to show more skin is automatically a bad person and Vice versa

Last edited:

giugo

Swell Supporter
Guilty as charged. Although I think we may just have to agree to disagree. It sucks that there aren’t any fan service costumes but maybe we just have different tastes.
No ''fan service costumes'', no boobs, double standards between male and females (guys barechested, girls full covered; guys have their classic costumes, girls doesn't have classic costumes). Sounds good to you?

Plus Steve Beran's words are just a joke, ''Our design is just getting more mature and respectful''.....sure, with over the top fatal blows (don't even talk about fatalities...), Kano pissing before every match and Johnny Cage who mock every single character before, during and after the match. That's mature.

Your money your choice man, but this whole game makes fun of 27 years of a franchise.

Oh, for the ones that missed Mr. Beran's words, you can find them here:

Mortal Kombat’s fatalities start with stick figures drawn by Ed Boon

“Our character lead, Brendan George, has been a breath of fresh air of just introducing new ideas,” Beran said. “Our design is just getting more mature and respectful. You’re not going to wear a bikini to a fight. You’re not going to be showing so much skin. I think it’s just what the game is about: You’re going in to fight for your life, and you’re not going to be wearing such scantily clad items.

“I’m sure that will disappoint some fans. We don’t have bathing suit fighters, and I think that’s fine. If people are disappointed, I don’t regret making that change by any means.”

giugo

Swell Supporter
Overall, I guess is really just a matter of opinion, but I really loved all the new designs (except for Sonya), I think the aim wasn't to look "mature and respectful" but more "grounded" and practical, the old ones would show more skin or be more "sexy," but they where just plain stupid, nobody would wear it in a real fight scenario, the new designs embraces each characters personality. You don't need to hate the game, there's shure going to have more revealing outfits in the full game, if not, there will always be mods, you probably even get then nude
I don't want nudes and I don't want mods. I simply don't want double standards, that's all. Look at the pic posted by Boundy. Why all the guys are barechested and super pumped, and the girls have the body of anorexic models and fights full covered?

Those dresses aren't pratical at all. MMA girls fights in sports bra for a reason. Open your eyes guys.

In a ''real fight scenario''...this is a FANTASY GAME, it's not real life. And again, in a real fight to the death you don't fight barechested like Kano or Johnny Cage, or in high heels like the girls.

Rag40

Swell Supporter
I guess we all have our opinions, but not a huge fan of Kitana's face in this one. She definitely has never looked anything like this in all of her appearances throughout the years. I guess the closest would be her MK 3/4 appearance, but she has never really had such heavy Oriental features like she does here. It just looks way off to me.

Obviously, the actual quality of the face is way beyond anything we have gotten for Kitana in the past, but that is because they have this insane new face tech that they have been using since IJ2.

But yeah, if they wanted to add a beautiful woman with Oriental features they should have just given us Li Mei. She's standing there over in the corner, forgotten and unused, lol.

I don't really mind her default outfit, but it would be a shame if we don't get any classic looks for her (and the other ladies) because of some baloney politically correct nonsense. I want some Jade and Kitana outfits from the 3D era.

This whole realism argument...is a head scratcher. I will just leave it at that.

Lokolol

Swell Supporter
I didn't want to mean like "realism", but that the designs are more grounded to the context where each character is incerted, like kitana, suppose to be a princess warrior, so the heels makes sense for this context, because she's royalty, but also the more covered outfit and shoulder armor, because she's also a warrior. I don't think it creates a double standards, the male character design are bare chest because it makes sense for the context of each character, kotal khan is from a Aztec culture, so makes sense, Cassie, special forces who goes against supernatural beans, so the armor makes sense; Liu Kang, a shaolin monk... and so on with each character, their outfit shows about the culture of each fantasy realm there from, I think is unfair to say that "this whole game makes fun of 27 years of a franchise". Sonya has a costume very similar to her mk1 and 3. I think we can't be shure it isn't going to have more revealing outfits until the release, some characters had 4 outfits in mkX, and at the kombat kast, one of the hoast mention that kitana have another outfit that hasn't been shown.

imo, I know this is something very "cliché" to say, but sometimes a more covered outfit can be more appealing than a more revealing one

Last edited:

RyonaDamsels

Ryonani Teamster
I didn't want to mean like "realism", but that the designs are more grounded to the context where each character is incerted, like kitana, suppose to be a princess warrior, so the heels makes sense for this context, because she's royalty, but also the more covered outfit and shoulder armor, because she's also a warrior. I don't think it creates double standards, the male character design are bare chest because it makes sense for the context of each character, kotal khan is from a Aztec culture, so makes sense, Cassie, special forces who goes against supernatural beans, so the armor makes sense; Liu Kang, a shaolin monk... and so on with each character, their outfit shows about the culture of each fantasy realm there from. Sonya has a costume very similar to her mk1 and 3. I think we can't be shure it isn't going to have more revealing outfits until the release, some characters had 4 outfits in mkX, and at the kombat kast, one of the hoast mention that kitana have another outfit that hasn't been shown.

That isnt the developers official reason for the clear double standard tho , If they actually said like what u said ( even though there are some male characters where Bare chested doesnt fit their culture and some female characters were more skin may fit ) I wouldnt cared about the issue much and would said that this is a design choice , but what happened actually from interviews is a hypocrisy from their part and insult to women freedom's in whether they want to show their skin or not and women's freedom in choosing their clothes and also the developer's view for respecting women is how much skin is shown/hidden

Last edited:

Lokolol

Swell Supporter
I believe this is what they mean, imo there's no double standard, like I said, they are just staying true to each characters context, let's say if there was a character whith more Aztec tribal background like kotal khan, she shure would have a more revealing outfit. Anyway, is just my opinion

RyonaDamsels

Ryonani Teamster
I believe this is what they mean, imo there's no double standard, like I said, they are just staying true to each characters context, let's say if there was a character whith more Aztec tribal background like kotal khan, she shure would have a more revealing outfit. Anyway, is just my opinion

This is what the developers said

Also

“Our character lead, Brendan George, has been a breath of fresh air of just introducing new ideas,” Beran said. “Our design is just getting more mature and respectful. You’re not going to wear a bikini to a fight. You’re not going to be showing so much skin. I think it’s just what the game is about: You’re going in to fight for your life, and you’re not going to be wearing such scantily clad items.

Rag40

Swell Supporter
imo, I know this is something very "cliché" to say, but sometimes a more covered outfit can be more appealing than a more revealing one
Like I said above, we all have different opinions and tastes regarding this stuff, so no one should be upset if you enjoy the more covered up outfits. For myself, I am pretty easy to please and all I require to enjoy an outfit is a decent pair of boots. So I am pretty damn spoiled in this regard concerning the MK11 females. But I still want others who prefer the more revealing outfits to get something that appeals to them as well.

But ultimately, it's the BS reasoning used by that Steve Beran guy that irks me. So let me get this straight, it's ok for Liu, a Shaolin monk from China, to fight in nothing but pants, but it's not ok for a fictional Warrior Princess to fight in a leotard? Who is making these baloney rules?

Regardless, if we seriously are not going to get any classic outfits for the women then I will be upset. There have been some great designs from the past games. No reason to not include them in this supposedly great "gear system" that they have.

Lokolol

Swell Supporter
So let me get this straight, it's ok for Liu, a Shaolin monk from China, to fight in nothing but pants, but it's not ok for a fictional Warrior Princess to fight in a leotard? Who is making these baloney rules?
Yes, I mean, we all know that shaoling monks usually fight with nothing but pants, but for Kitana, we don't really know about the culture of Edenia, but in the context of a ruler, would you take serious a leader or political ruler with a skimpy outfit? So, I think it makes sense a more covered outfit.

You can see that Cetrion have a more revealing outfit, because it makes sense on her background

This is what the developers said

Also

Yeah, that's what I mean, they are trying to be more respectful and mature by been more true to each characters backgrounds

RyonaDamsels

Ryonani Teamster
Yeah, that's what I mean there are trying to be more keen to the characters backgrounds

Sorry to disagree , but They didnt said that , their official reasoning that I posted above wasnt that , they didnt say " we stick to characters backgrounds " , they said " we arent going to show skin " clearly

Rag40

Swell Supporter
Yes, I mean, we all know that shaoling monks usually fight with nothing but pants, but for Kitana, we don't really know about the culture of Edenia, but in the context of a ruler, would you take serious a leader or political ruler with a skimpy outfit? So, I think it makes sense a more covered outfit
While I can see what you are getting at, the bulk of Mortal Kombat fighting takes place in 1 v 1 martial arts fights to the death. Martial Arts does not require you to wear much and in fact wearing too much can be dangerous. For a random example, Jade could literally be choked out with her own cape if she were to fight someone in an MMA setting wearing that.

But yeah, my point is that skimpy outfits actually make sense in martial arts fighting.

At the same time, none of this should even matter. This is the first time I have ever heard people actually NOT wanting classic outfits for their characters. Really strange stuff.

Lokolol

Swell Supporter
While I can see what you are getting at, the bulk of Mortal Kombat fighting takes place in 1 v 1 martial arts fights to the death. Martial Arts does not require you to wear much and in fact wearing too much can be dangerous. For a random example, Jade could literally be choked out with her own cape if she were to fight someone in an MMA setting wearing that.

But yeah, my point is that skimpy outfits actually make sense in martial arts fighting.

At the same time, none of this should even matter. This is the first time I have ever heard people actually NOT wanting classic outfits for their characters. Really strange stuff.
Is not that a don't want the classic outfits, I would love to have then, but I don't mind if we don't.
Yeah, but again, the context is not like an mma fight with rules and a referee, is about fighting with monsters and super humans on dangerous landscapes

Lokolol

Swell Supporter
Sorry to disagree , but They didnt said that , their official reasoning that I posted above wasnt that , they didnt say " we stick to characters backgrounds " , they said " we arent going to show skin " clearly
I see, I respect you opinion, probably won't convince you, but when he say "we aren't going to show skin", I think he means based on the character background, like if doesn't make sense for the character to be showing skin it won't, but if it makes sense it will, as you can see, Cetrion shows some skin.

I think this Sasha Aim just whants attention and to create polemics, Imo, we need to read the full interview to understand what the devs really mean, there's a lot of people behind each characters design, not just one guy

Last edited:

Rag40

Swell Supporter
Definitely, but a body suit is not going to save her from Baraka impaling her with his arm blades, hehe.

I think that is where we differ. I also want the classic outfits, but I do mind if we don't get them because of the developer's crappy reasoning. If it's ok for Johnny Cage to fight a death machine like Geras in nothing but a pair of pants then it should be fine for Kitana or Jade to do so wearing their classic leotard outfits.

There shouldn't really be any classic outfits off the table, in my opinion. Even the much derided MK9 outfits could look great with a few minor tweaks. I want tons of unlockable outfits in the krypt to keep me searching.

RyonaDamsels

Ryonani Teamster
I see, I respect you opinion, probably won't convince you, but when he say "we aren't going to show skin", I think he means based on the character background, like if doesn't make sense for the character to be showing skin it won't, but if it makes sense it will, as you can see, Cetrion shows some skin

It isnt an opinion believe me , It is evidence based on what they said , He clearly said " You’re not going to be showing skin " in a direct tone and linked skin to respect for women by giving the bikini as the example , he didnt say " if it doesnt makes sense to the character " part

Lokolol

Swell Supporter
It isnt an opinion believe me , It is evidence based on what they said , He clearly said " You’re not going to be showing skin " in a direct tone and linked skin to respect for women by giving the bikini as the example , he didnt say " if it doesnt makes sense to the character "
But what was he saying before saying "You’re not going to be showing skin "? He said"your not going to wear a bikini into a fight " so he is talking about the context, but, it doesn't really matter right, there's is no point on we keep arguing about it, we weren't going to change it others mind.
Anyway, I think the game is looking great overall, they finally made girls faces look like girls lol. There's probably going to have other more revealing outfits, I think it would be awesome to se an mk1 Sonya outfit, but for Cassie

RyonaDamsels

Ryonani Teamster
But what was he saying before saying "You’re not going to be showing skin "? Hahhah

Our design is just getting more mature and respectful. You’re not going to wear a bikini to a fight. You’re not going to be showing so much skin. I think it’s just what the game is about: You’re going in to fight for your life, and you’re not going to be wearing such scantily clad items.

more mature and respect followed by you arent going to be showing skin , If u want the full interview I linked it to you

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.