MK9 texture injector (1 Viewer)

NotMe

Content Creator
You need the decompressed target .xxx file, the .Texture2D file that you want to replace and the .dds file you want inject, all in the same folder.
Run the bat file and follow the instructions. If a "File injected" message appears then the .xxx should be good to go.
Just copy it to the \DiscContentPC\Asset folder and you should be able to see the changes in the game.

I'd like to give thanks to XeNTaX's user darksoul for his post regarding MK9's texture format. If that post didn't exist I probably wouldn't have been able to do this.
XeNTaX ? View topic - succesfull modded MK9 textures help creating QUICKBMS SCRIPT

Be sure to contact me if you find any bugs or to suggest improvements.

--------UPDATE--------
V1.5 released

------Changelogs------
Another change to the way files are found in the .xxx - All .Texture2D files from CHAR files are working
Fixed filenames with spaces not working properly.
Fixed Jade_BDMG_Diff crashing the injector.
Changed the way files are found in the .xxx - Should drastically decrease the number of .dds importing to the wrong place.
You can now inject multiple files into the same .xxx without having to constantly write the name of the .xxx.
Fixed Jade_NormHQA not importing correctly.
All textures should now import correctly.

Attachments

MK9.DDSInjectorV1.5.rar
3.9 KB · Views: 1,726

Last edited by a moderator:

NotMe

Content Creator
well done champ, it has to start somewhere :D
Thanks
I guess I'll post whatever I find about the game here. If anyone thinks a separate thread should be created for the investigation of this game let me know.

I've started looking into getting modified files into the game. Only done some basic tests so far, such as trying to find a directory where loose files would have priority over the packed ones.
For now, I only found two things:
1 - If you remove an .xxx character file from the asset folder the game doesn't crash, unlike other fighting games. The character icon in the character menu becomes an unselectable black silhouette. I don't know what happens when the game actively looks for the file though. It's possible that it crashes during story mode or challenges involving the character.
2 - It's known that the character files are compressed, that's why you need to decompress a file before extracting its contents. What I didn't know is that the game is able to run with decompressed files. This means that injecting files into the .xxx should be easier than I thought since there's no need to re-compress.

About the texture converter:
I haven't worked on it any more. I'll probably try to convert it to C/C++ before adding anything else.

- - - Updated - - -

So, I've been looking into putting modified files into the game and ran into an issue

We can access all the data that's in one of the decompressed files through hex editing, so texture files, and all other files, can be injected simply by copying the relevant hex information by hand.
This works perfectly as I was easily able to manually swap Jade's texture with Skarlet's texture. I was also able swap the texture with one converted to .dds, using my program.
Now here's the thing, if you swap in a .dds file that has been modified in Photoshop, the game crashes when loading the character.
While Photoshop can easily read the converted texture as a .dds file, the game can't read one saved by Photoshop, even if there were no changes to the texture, and I have no idea what's causing this issue.

xellos49698

Content Creator
I don't know if this will help or not, but here is a link for Mortal Kombat 9 console modding tool.

Mortal Kombat 9 Modding + More - Page 167

take any .XXX in exemple CHAR_JADE.XXX
command extract.exe CHAR_JADE.XXX unpack this pack
run MkPs3TextureBeta3.exe
Texture2D-->DDS
..\CHAR_JADE\Textures\Jade_Diff.Texture2D

Try make txt file with name like unpackthisstupidwin.txt with extract.exe CHAR_JADE.XXX inside. Than rename to unpackthisstupidwin.bat, put into program dir with extract.exe and run this bat

NotMe

Content Creator
I don't know if this will help or not, but here is a link for Mortal Kombat 9 console modding tool.

Mortal Kombat 9 Modding + More - Page 167

take any .XXX in exemple CHAR_JADE.XXX
command extract.exe CHAR_JADE.XXX unpack this pack
run MkPs3TextureBeta3.exe
Texture2D-->DDS
..\CHAR_JADE\Textures\Jade_Diff.Texture2D

Try make txt file with name like unpackthisstupidwin.txt with extract.exe CHAR_JADE.XXX inside. Than rename to unpackthisstupidwin.bat, put into program dir with extract.exe and run this bat
I tried those tools when the game came out.
Outside of the decompressor and the extractor everything I tried crashes.

Turns out that I misunderstood the .Texture2D format. While photoshop could read the .dds files they weren't properly built but the reason for the crashes was because I wasn't swapping the textures right due to that misunderstanding.

xellos49698

Content Creator
Ok. I sure hope it's still possible to have nude mod for MK9, I was not expecting no Directx9 support.

NotMe

Content Creator
Ok. I sure hope it's still possible to have nude mod for MK9, I was not expecting no Directx9 support.
One step at a time :3
2013-07-06_00001.jpg
This was injected manually. Now I have to code it.

PS: Does anyone have any idea how transparency works in this game? Modifying the diffuse's alpha appears to have no effect.

- - - Updated - - -

File injector v1 done! Check the first post.

0mpDqj2.jpg

Mharius

Content Creator
Good start, the injector works okay. Sadly the way the textures seem to work, especially the damage overlay seems pretty limiting... Also the body model I looked at, didnt seem to use transparency for anything but the hair.

NotMe

Content Creator
Good start, the injector works okay. Sadly the way the textures seem to work, especially the damage overlay seems pretty limiting... Also the body model I looked at, didnt seem to use transparency for anything but the hair.
True and for some reason the injector isn't working with hair textures.
I'm still positive that good mods will start rolling for this game.

Eddyboy

Content Creator
Great job so far. Game's pretty new, huh?
Some texture editing might even make it possible to make em look actually female.

Mharius

Content Creator
I changed the DMG diff texture, but when injected it gets applied to their hair. Might be related. And I agree, some good nude mods are possible, even if not quite as great as one might have hoped.

NotMe

Content Creator
I changed the DMG diff texture, but when injected it gets applied to their hair. Might be related. And I agree, some good nude mods are possible, even if not quite as great as one might have hoped.
Thanks for that. I'm going to look over it tomorrow and that gives me a place to start.

Mharius

Content Creator
Actually after further testing, many of the textures are applied to the hair instead.

So far the most important once that need fixing are: Pmsk, Spec, DMG_Diff
(and most likely more, but if you can figure out the problem, it might fix them all at once anyways)

NotMe

Content Creator
Actually after further testing, many of the textures are applied to the hair instead.

So far the most important once that need fixing are: Pmsk, Spec, DMG_Diff
(and most likely more, but if you can figure out the problem, it might fix them all at once anyways)
GsVCP1n.jpg

DMG_Diff painted with orange and green.
Hair_DiffA painted with pink and blue.
Other textures should be fixed as well.

I just need to solve small issues before release.

Rich246

Potential Patron
It's so cool to see that this game is getting the same treatment as the PS3 version, any chance of a GUI for the complete tool package besides umodel I guess... it would make things more simple and user friendly. :)

kind of off topic question:
Hypothetically, could Kratos' xxx be decompressed and recompressed as a PC xxx allowing him to be imported into the PC version?

NotMe

Content Creator
V1.1 is now released
All textures should import correctly now (hopefully).

It's so cool to see that this game is getting the same treatment as the PS3 version, any chance of a GUI for the complete tool package besides umodel I guess... it would make things more simple and user friendly. :)

kind of off topic question:
Hypothetically, could Kratos' xxx be decompressed and recompressed as a PC xxx allowing him to be imported into the PC version?
GUI for the complete tool package I doubt, but I might do one for the injector after I'm happy with it.
About Kratos... I have no clue. It's something I'd have to look into.

Rich246

Potential Patron
V1.1 is now released
All textures should import correctly now (hopefully).

GUI for the complete tool package I doubt, but I might do one for the injector after I'm happy with it.
About Kratos... I have no clue. It's something I'd have to look into.

Anything would be appreciated. :)

EDIT:
If you can look into making the bosses playable like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKE48s_b8WQ

It would also be appreciated by a lot of people.

Mharius

Content Creator
The other textures work now but theres still a problem, the NormHQA textures (Normal Maps) are not applied and are just ignored.

NotMe

Content Creator
The other textures work now but theres still a problem, the NormHQA textures (Normal Maps) are not applied and are just ignored.
That was working, last time I checked :/ I'm going to add it to the list of things to go over

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.