Help needed - Blade & Soul NA/EU costume modding (2 Viewers)

stricq

Club Regular
Em, can u share your new-upk file? I would like to see its structure, all of a sudden I can help you

Here is one. The main difference is that the compression on the textures is different than what the game engine itself uses. I'm not sure if this is the only difference or not.

I have rebuilt other files that do not contain textures and they are binary identical to the original and the game accepts them. So I'm thinking it is the compression algorithm used. But I could have missed something when rebuilding the textures. There is a lot to them.

I should also mention that Gildor's UModel.exe loads my files and displays the contained textures without errors.

Attachments

00030043.zip
2.6 MB · Views: 153

MikeT

Potential Patron
Here is one. The main difference is that the compression on the textures is different than what the game engine itself uses. I'm not sure if this is the only difference or not.

I have rebuilt other files that do not contain textures and they are binary identical to the original and the game accepts them. So I'm thinking it is the compression algorithm used. But I could have missed something when rebuilding the textures. There is a lot to them.

I should also mention that Gildor's UModel.exe loads my files and displays the contained textures without errors.
Try compressing the textures with NVIDIA's nvDXT utility: https://developer.nvidia.com/sites/default/files/akamai/tools/files/DDS_Utilities_8.31.1127.1645.exe

MikeT

Potential Patron
That's not the right compression. The images are compressed using a professional version of LZO which is a commercial application.
I see. I thought I'd try and help, but turns out I'm just wrong xD. I guess, you have used LZO Classic?

stricq

Club Regular
I see. I thought I'd try and help, but turns out I'm just wrong xD. I guess, you have used LZO Classic?

Yes, it works fine to decompress, but I think it needs to be the professional version to rebuild the UPK files. I have an idea in mind that I will try out this weekend to verify that theory.

Ashllay

Casual Client
stricq stricq
I'm not sure if it matters but i was checking textures files and there are a few differences.
gmgzDDl.png

stricq

Club Regular
stricq stricq
I'm not sure if it matters but i was checking textures files and there are a few differences.
gmgzDDl.png

Your are looking at image compression there. That's not the issue, the problem is with the data compression applied to the images. After the images are stored in DDS format, the data of the images is then further compressed using the LZO algorithm.

joeshmoe

Potential Patron
Gildor apparently said it was impossible to repack a upk into its original form.
Packer to .upk files

He basically said that upk's have really complex structures and they all refer to one another so you can't change a piece of a file without having to change every file in the program (or at least all the files that reference/get referenced by that file). That might be why your repacked upk crashed the game.

Any thoughts on how to get around this? I was trying to build a repacker for Tera but then found gildor's comment. I'm thinking if you could get a hold of the unreal source code you could build a repacker but that isn't free.

Last edited:

stricq

Club Regular
Gildor apparently said it was impossible to repack a upk into its original form.
Packer to .upk files

He basically said that upk's have really complex structures and they all refer to one another so you can't change a piece of a file without having to change every file in the program (or at least all the files that reference/get referenced by that file). That might be why your repacked upk crashed the game.

Any thoughts on how to get around this? I was trying to build a repacker for Tera but then found gildor's comment. I'm thinking if you could get a hold of the unreal source code you could build a repacker but that isn't free.

Gildor is referring to the pointers inside the package that point to other locations in the file. I have completely accounted for that. Any of the files that don't have textures, my code will recreate exactly like the original. Also, he greatly overstating the problem. Most of what he says may be true for other Unreal Engine 3 games, but not for Blade and Soul. The package format is really fairly simple.

Last edited:

MikeT

Potential Patron
Packer to .upk files

Not for repacking textures or animations for Blade & Soul.

SiPPey a Chinese guy has done it. Blade and Soul MOD - Sippey Fun Labs

lucky凌竹 another Chinese guy is also able to do it. lucky凌竹的个人资料 希望之地主题社区

Coder a Korean guy is able to do it. Coder의 갤로그입니다 § 디시인사이드 갤로그

LokiReborn an American can do it as well. Blade & Soul package encryption

It just takes time and knowledge.

Last edited:

Lucif

Potential Patron
I think... problem in export table. But, I did not understand how to solve this problem.

stricq

Club Regular
I think... problem in export table. But, I did not understand how to solve this problem.

I found and fixed one problem. I was calculating one size 16 bytes too large. I fixed that, now my own code cannot parse the created file. That is an easy fix. Once I get that working again I can try the file in game.

stricq

Club Regular
I found and fixed one problem. I was calculating one size 16 bytes too large. I fixed that, now my own code cannot parse the created file. That is an easy fix. Once I get that working again I can try the file in game.

I hadn't backed out one of my changes I had put in to find what I was doing wrong. So after fixing that one calculation, the game now accepts my modded files. I made a costume change (it's funny) and it is displayed in game!

I attached the modded file. Just drop it in the bns\CookedPC\mod directory and check out the Jin Christmas costume (if you have it or can see it in the store.)

So, success!

Attachments

00030043.zip
2.5 MB · Views: 139

stricq

Club Regular
Ok everyone, here is the new release.

* Exported textures can be edited and re-imported back into the game.
* Added Rebuild tab. This tab allows you to view exported textures (and sounds) and view them in the Texture Viewer.
* Added Modded Files tab. This tab allows you to view modded files in the same way was as viewing game files.
* Can now view all the MIPs of loaded textures.
* TextureMovie objects can now be exported as bink files.

https://bns.stricq.com/Files/UpkManager.Installer_1.3.zip

You should uninstall the old version before installing the new version.

Also, updated instructions here:

UPKManager/README.md at master · stricq/UPKManager · GitHub

Last edited:

orihone

Potential Patron
I love man you now! :tongue:

Edit:
When i select the 2d upk i got this
msg
8SnwfW3.png

Nothing i just re select source pack and wait to rebuild the list and the problem fix!

Last edited:

MikeT

Potential Patron
It works great. Finally the Chinese no longer have the modding monopoly. The whole modding community will now be able to create and share mods, how it's supposed to be. I can't thank you enough for all your hard work!

trumpdog

Vivacious Visitor

* Exported textures can be edited and re-imported back into the game.
* Added Rebuild tab. This tab allows you to view exported textures (and sounds) and view them in the Texture Viewer.
* Added Modded Files tab. This tab allows you to view modded files in the same way was as viewing game files.
* Can now view all the MIPs of loaded textures.
* TextureMovie objects can now be exported as bink files.

https://bns.stricq.com/Files/UpkManager.Installer_1.3.zip

You should uninstall the old version before installing the new version.

Also, updated instructions here:

UPKManager/README.md at master · stricq/UPKManager · GitHub
You are the man of the year:smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.