Help needed - Blade & Soul NA/EU costume modding (1 Viewer)

stricq

Club Regular
Finally got a release that fixes the fatal startup exceptions people have been seeing.

Here are the latest changes:
  • Audio objects (SoundNodeWave) can now be exported (as .ogg) and will play when clicked on in the export object listing.
  • Any fatal exceptions will be stored on the remote database to help improve the program.
  • Background tasks are now handled in a much better manner.
  • New object Viewer: Object Tree. Export objects show in green and import objects show in blue. Export objects can be clicked on for viewing as in the Export Table list.
https://bns.stricq.com/Files/UpkManager.Installer.msi

As a reminder, here is the GitHub repository:

GitHub - stricq/UPKManager: Blade and Soul Unreal Engine 3 Package (UPK) Extractor View and Export Textures and Sounds

Last edited:

MikeT

Potential Patron
2XI7BEU.png

Could you add support for regions that do not have "VersionInfo_BnS.ini"?

stricq

Club Regular
Could you add support for regions that do not have "VersionInfo_BnS.ini"?

It should be there somewhere. The file is hidden, you would need to turn on viewing hidden files to see it. Hopefully you can look around and see if the file exists in some other location in the game directory.

MikeT

Potential Patron
It should be there somewhere. The file is hidden, you would need to turn on viewing hidden files to see it. Hopefully you can look around and see if the file exists in some other location in the game directory.
I see, it's "VersionInfo_BNS_JPN.ini" under the same directory.

Perhaps in your next release you could have it look for the equivalent region file, as below?

Korea = VersionInfo_BNS_KOR.ini
China = VersionInfo_BNS_CHN.ini
Japan = VersionInfo_BNS_JPN.ini
Taiwan = VersionInfo_BNS_TWN.ini
NA/EU = VersionInfo_BNS.ini
NA/EU CBT = VersionInfo_BnS_CBT.ini
NA FFT = VersionInfo_BnS_FFT.ini
Russia = VersionInfo_BNS_RUS.ini

Thanks.

stricq

Club Regular
I see, it's "VersionInfo_BNS_JPN.ini" under the same directory.

Perhaps in your next release you could have it look for the equivalent region file, as below?

Korea = VersionInfo_BNS_KOR.ini
China = VersionInfo_BNS_CHN.ini
Japan = VersionInfo_BNS_JPN.ini
Taiwan = VersionInfo_BNS_TWN.ini
NA/EU = VersionInfo_BNS.ini
NA/EU CBT = VersionInfo_BnS_CBT.ini
NA FFT = VersionInfo_BnS_FFT.ini
Russia = VersionInfo_BNS_RUS.ini

Thanks.

Great, thanks! I will add those. Can you post the contents of one of them so I can verify the format is the same?

teriya

Potential Patron
Hi, this is my first post here. I'm also working on modding BnS, but I'm taking a different approach than other people here. I'm more of a 3d modeller and I'm no good with textures, but I know some level of programming. First off I'd like to thank you for your work here, it looks like you've made a lot of progress. I've been tampering with UPK files a little myself and trying to dig into Umodel's source, but it's proving a little difficult to me as I do not understand compression and I'm a newbie regarding byte/hex level file manipulation.

It seems the other people here have different ideas, but I have no real desire or need to look at or change the textures being used at present; what I would like to tamper with is vertex information. I've gotten to the point where I seem to be able to find the vertex data in the PSK file, and can find its likely location in the corresponding UPK file, but there just seems to be some strange stuff going on in the UPK file that I don't quite understand. For example, I can try reading the UPK file at the start of the vertex coordinate, and if I read 4 bytes as a float 3 times, I get the same coordinate, but if I try to read 12 bytes as a group of 3 floats(or, 3f, vector), then the Y coordinate comes out negative when it's positive. I'm not sure if there's byte padding going on here or what.

Long story short, I haven't tried out your program yet, but coming from the perspective of a 3d modeller, it would open up a lot of options even if you could just overwrite existing vertex coordinates, which seems much simpler than trying to mess with/alter texture data(especially to create high res textures...) because that will tend to change the size of the package.

I actually had a sort of set of goals in mind:
1. Re-write existing vertex coordinate data(shouldn't change the size of the package)
2. Re-write existing bone coordinate data(shouldn't change the size of the package)
3. Re-write existing vertex weight data(shouldn't change the size of the package)
4. Figure out how edge and face data is stored
5. Add new vertices, along with edges + faces
6. Replace and/or change materials
7. Texture stuff

Would it be possible to create a new set of vertex coordinates(possibly in a .txt file; I can provide a sample of this if necessary) which would simply overwrite the existing coordinates? It seems like it would be extremely simple because it wouldn't even require a re-pack, you'd just re-write the UPK file; I assume the vertex coordinates must be stored somewhere in there as a set of floats. This would allow modellers to reshape models in any way desired so it could be considerably powerful.

PS: I'd also like to note I play on the Japanese server. Do you think any solution to this problem you could make would be workable with the files on the JP server? As I said I can program a little myself and have made some slight progress, if there's anything I can help with please let me know. Or if you need samples of files from the JP client, etc.

Last edited:

stricq

Club Regular
Hi, this is my first post here. I'm also working on modding BnS, but I'm taking a different approach than other people here. I'm more of a 3d modeller and I'm no good with textures, but I know some level of programming. First off I'd like to thank you for your work here, it looks like you've made a lot of progress. I've been tampering with UPK files a little myself and trying to dig into Umodel's source, but it's proving a little difficult to me as I do not understand compression and I'm a newbie regarding byte/hex level file manipulation.

I have not yet looked at any of the 3D stuff yet. I really know nothing about it. I do know one website where some of that information has been worked out to some degree.

Animation Data in BNS UPK - Sippey Fun Labs

See if that helps out any.

teriya

Potential Patron
I have not yet looked at any of the 3D stuff yet. I really know nothing about it. I do know one website where some of that information has been worked out to some degree.

Animation Data in BNS UPK - Sippey Fun Labs

See if that helps out any.

Alright, sorry for the long post then. I'm still trying to work through it myself, so would you mind if I asked you some questions or post examples of what I'm looking at? In particular, if I could just figure out how the vertex coordinates themselves are stored in the UPK file, I could write a solution myself. If you don't want to clutter up this thread with that sort of thing, could I PM you about it? Apologies if I'm being persistent, it's just irritating to me that this seems at the edge of my fingertips but I'm not sure where to go next.

Also, if you'd like to know anything about 3d data and whatnot I might be able to give you some information. As I said, I am a 3d modeller so if I can be of any use in that regard I'd be happy to help.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

stricq

Club Regular
It looks like I have successfully created a UPK file and had it accepted by the game in my mod folder. I can't say for sure because the textures in it were the same exact ones as in the original UPK file. I still need to write the code to bring in new texture files to replacing existing textures. Stay tuned for this part, it won't take nearly as long.

stricq

Club Regular
Alright, sorry for the long post then. I'm still trying to work through it myself, so would you mind if I asked you some questions or post examples of what I'm looking at? In particular, if I could just figure out how the vertex coordinates themselves are stored in the UPK file, I could write a solution myself. If you don't want to clutter up this thread with that sort of thing, could I PM you about it? Apologies if I'm being persistent, it's just irritating to me that this seems at the edge of my fingertips but I'm not sure where to go next.

Also, if you'd like to know anything about 3d data and whatnot I might be able to give you some information. As I said, I am a 3d modeller so if I can be of any use in that regard I'd be happy to help.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

If you have looked at the data using my program, which object types are you interested in possibly being able to change?

trumpdog

Vivacious Visitor
It looks like I have successfully created a UPK file and had it accepted by the game in my mod folder. I can't say for sure because the textures in it were the same exact ones as in the original UPK file. I still need to write the code to bring in new texture files to replacing existing textures. Stay tuned for this part, it won't take nearly as long.
This is good news=D......umod is making me wanna beat my head on the keyboard.

stricq

Club Regular
I now have the program building new UPK files from within the UI. My program can successfully parse it's own modified files, but the game crashes when trying to use them. So, I'm working on trying to figure out what is not right. It's hard when you have no feedback from the game.

Lucif

Potential Patron
I now have the program building new UPK files from within the UI. My program can successfully parse it's own modified files, but the game crashes when trying to use them. So, I'm working on trying to figure out what is not right. It's hard when you have no feedback from the game.
Em, can u share your new-upk file? I would like to see its structure, all of a sudden I can help you

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.