Hearthstone: The Bitchwood (5 Viewers)

Netty

Potential Patron
Hey Guys :)

Here is my official idiot proof guide to getting this mod to work. I've tested it on multiple machines running windows 10. Please follow the instructions exactly.

Step 1: We need a clean install of hearthstone so uninstall Hearthstone if you have already tried to get Special K working.

Step 2: Delete your hearthstone folder from your drive to remove any old Special K remnants.

Step 3: Delete your Special K folder from user/documents/my mods folder. If it ways a program is running, restart your computer and then delete it.

Step 4: Reinstall Hearthstone and run it. Change your graphics to High. Close Hearthstone.

Step 5: In Battle.net click the settings cog next to the play button. click game settings. Click the check box for [Additional command line arguments] and copy paste -force-d3d11 into the field. It should look like this:

Step 6: Download the zip file I've included called Special K and extract it to your Hearthstone folder (probably on your C drive in your program filesx86)

Step 7: In your Hearthstone folder double click SKIM64 and click install. let it run and click affirmatives through the installer. Check the box to run on startup.
Step 8: Go to your user/documents/my mods folder and change the file named SpecialK32.dll to dxgi.dll if there is one. Also check and make sure SpecialK32.dll is changed to dxgi.dll in your Hearthstone folder. (It should be since I changed it before handing it off to you but the installer may change it back so just double check.

Step 9: go to your Hearthstone folder and open the file called dxgi - scroll down until you see [Textures.Cache] below that you will see a line that says IgnoreNonMipmapped=false - change that to IgnoreNonMipmapped=true - file/save the document and close it.

Step 10: Go to your Hearthstone folder and open the file called SK_Res. add two folders to this file if they arent already there; one called Dump and another called Inject. in both of those folders create another file called Textures and then in that file another folder called Hearthstone.exe. so the path should be Hearthstone/SK_Res/Inject/Textures/Hearthstone.exe/MODS GO HERE!

Step 11: grab a pack someone has uploaded (mine is in my signature) and extract it into your Inject/Textures/Hearthstone.exe folder.

Step 12: Launch Hearthstone and be happy.

Note* if you are having trouble AFTER doing all of this, restart your computer and go to your documents/my mods/SpecialK folder and double click SKIM64 to relaunch it.

If you get an error or something doesn't look right let me know and try to include a picture of whats happening.

Much love
-Vel
Hello! Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a comprehensive guide. However, I've ran into an issue on step 7:

After I click install, nothing seems to happen. I tried going to the next steps, hoping it worked, and I found the Special K folder under user/documents/my mods, which had an empty "Version" folder in it, and nothing else. On Step 9, the only dxgi file I found in the HS folder is an application extension, which I can not open. Opening it with notepad only gives lines of gibberish.

I'm guessing these further issues come from the failed Special K install. I tried running it as Administrator, but no luck. What should I do?

Thank you!

Velika

Swell Supporter
Hello! Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a comprehensive guide. However, I've ran into an issue on step 7:

After I click install, nothing seems to happen. I tried going to the next steps, hoping it worked, and I found the Special K folder under user/documents/my mods, which had an empty "Version" folder in it, and nothing else. On Step 9, the only dxgi file I found in the HS folder is an application extension, which I can not open. Opening it with notepad only gives lines of gibberish.

I'm guessing these further issues come from the failed Special K install. I tried running it as Administrator, but no luck. What should I do?

Thank you!

Check to make sure your windows has the most recent update, you might be missing a framework, Google the most recent windows c++ frameworks and make sure you are up to date.

Restart your pc and try the install again.

Sometimes it won't install if you already have a special k installed so make sure you've cleared out any traces of a previous install.

Your dxgi should be created the first time you launch hearthstone so make sure you've launched it and added the command line argument.

Let me know how that goes.

Netty

Potential Patron
Check to make sure your windows has the most recent update, you might be missing a framework, Google the most recent windows c++ frameworks and make sure you are up to date.

Restart your pc and try the install again.

Sometimes it won't install if you already have a special k installed so make sure you've cleared out any traces of a previous install.

Your dxgi should be created the first time you launch hearthstone so make sure you've launched it and added the command line argument.

Let me know how that goes.
So, I closed and started Hearthstone before I saw this comment, and saw some sort of Special K overlay while loading in. Went to check my HS folder, and sure enough, there are new files there, same for the "My Mods" folder. I managed to find the dxgi file now and proceeded up to step 10, but it looks like SK_Res is still missing for me.

Velika

Swell Supporter
So, I closed and started Hearthstone before I saw this comment, and saw some sort of Special K overlay while loading in. Went to check my HS folder, and sure enough, there are new files there, same for the "My Mods" folder. I managed to find the dxgi file now and proceeded up to step 10, but it looks like SK_Res is still missing for me
If SKIM64 is missing in your Hearthstone folder then it should be in your My Mods folder and you can try launching it from there. If its not there I would suggest you start again from step 6, extract the folder replacing any files and try to run/install SKIM64 again.

Edit: If you have the overlay in game you should be good to go though, that means its working. proceed to create your file structure and then just drop in your desired textures. try this before the above.

Netty

Potential Patron
If SKIM64 is missing in your Hearthstone folder then it should be in your My Mods folder and you can try launching it from there. If its not there I would suggest you start again from step 6, extract the folder replacing any files and try to run/install SKIM64 again.

Edit: If you have the overlay in game you should be good to go though, that means its working. proceed to create your file structure and then just drop in your desired textures. try this before the above.
Not there either, and I feel like I'm missing more files. I already tried repeating the process but to no avail. May I kindly ask if it would be possible for you to upload the relevant files from your HS and My Mods folder onto a Google Drive for me to download? I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance!

Velika

Swell Supporter
Not there either, and I feel like I'm missing more files. I already tried repeating the process but to no avail. May I kindly ask if it would be possible for you to upload the relevant files from your HS and My Mods folder onto a Google Drive for me to download? I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance!
Yeah lets try that. Lemme run home really quick and ill put them up here if they will fit. stand by.

Velika

Swell Supporter
Alright I reinstalled everything just to try and recreate your problem and I found the issue. Consider this between step 9 and 10: Launch Hearthstone and open the Special K menu in game by hitting Ctrl+Shift+Backspace. Agree to the terms and then click Render Mod Tools to open a new window. Click Refresh textures and then select a texture from the box - click dump to disk, this will create the SK_Res folder we are missing and allow you to create the file path for your injected textures. I will update the guide accordingly but I just tested, you should be good to go. Heres a picture to help:

dump.PNG

Thanks for going through all this, hopefully we will have a foolproof guide that works for everyone.

Lemme know if this sill doesn't work.

Edit: the picture neded an additional step. :)

Last edited:

Netty

Potential Patron
Alright I reinstalled everything just to try and recreate your problem and I found the issue. Consider this between step 9 and 10: Launch Hearthstone and open the Special K menu in game by hitting Ctrl+Shift+Backspace. Agree to the terms and then click Render Mod Tools to open a new window. Click Refresh textures and then select a texture from the box - click dump to disk, this will create the SK_Res folder we are missing and allow you to create the file path for your injected textures. I will update the guide accordingly but I just tested, you should be good to go. Heres a picture to help:

Thanks for going through all this, hopefully we will have a foolproof guide that works for everyone.

Lemme know if this sill doesn't work.

Edit: the picture neded an additional step. :)
It seems to be working now, some cards and heroes have had their art changed! Perhaps it should also be mentioned in the guide which one of these folders should be the one that's supposed to be kept there:
1634621382671.png

Also, in your initial guide, there are now two steps number 10.

Thank you very much for your help with this guide! I don't think I could've ever gotten it to work without you. May I ask if you have any recommendations for texture packs to add, other than your own?

Edit: Perhaps a recommended DDS viewer would be helpful as well, for texture packs that don't have a preview folder. I downloaded DDS Viewer, but it crashes upon opening the files in "Final".

Velika

Swell Supporter
It seems to be working now, some cards and heroes have had their art changed! Perhaps it should also be mentioned in the guide which one of these folders should be the one that's supposed to be kept there:
View attachment 127094
Also, in your initial guide, there are now two steps number 10.

Thank you very much for your help with this guide! I don't think I could've ever gotten it to work without you. May I ask if you have any recommendations for texture packs to add, other than your own?

Edit: Perhaps a recommended DDS viewer would be helpful as well, for texture packs that don't have a preview folder. I downloaded DDS Viewer, but it crashes upon opening the files in "Final".
I'm so glad its working! Ill update the guide, thanks for catching that.

The Final Preview folder is just the JPGs of the dds files with their card name rather than their texture tag so its easier to pick and choose which cards you want to keep. You can put them both in your textures/hearthstone.exe folder with no side effects. Because of the preview folder a dds viewer isnt really necessary unless I'm misunderstanding you.

I would highly recommend TNet's art package here. He is the most active here and his work is really good. I'm working on integrating his cards into my pack but I've been extremely busy with life stuff. I think I've stolen a few cards from other peoples packs but you might have to dig through the thread a little to find them.

Netty

Potential Patron
I'm so glad its working! Ill update the guide, thanks for catching that.

The Final Preview folder is just the JPGs of the dds files with their card name rather than their texture tag so its easier to pick and choose which cards you want to keep. You can put them both in your textures/hearthstone.exe folder with no side effects. Because of the preview folder a dds viewer isnt really necessary unless I'm misunderstanding you.

I would highly recommend TNet's art package here. He is the most active here and his work is really good. I'm working on integrating his cards into my pack but I've been extremely busy with life stuff. I think I've stolen a few cards from other peoples packs but you might have to dig through the thread a little to find them.
In this case, a DDS viewer isn't really necessary, but for other art packs it might be, so I wanted to have one for the future, but I'll manage.

And thanks! I'll check out TNet's pack and also browse this thread for some extras. I greatly appreciate all your help!

join2727

Potential Patron
Hey Guys :)

Here is my official idiot proof guide to getting this mod to work. I've tested it on multiple machines running windows 10. Please follow the instructions exactly.

Step 1: We need a clean install of hearthstone so uninstall Hearthstone if you have already tried to get Special K working.

Step 2: Delete your hearthstone folder from your drive to remove any old Special K remnants.

Step 3: Delete your Special K folder from user/documents/my mods folder. If it says a program is running, restart your computer and then delete it.

Step 4: Reinstall Hearthstone and run it. Change your graphics to High. Close Hearthstone.

Step 5: In Battle.net click the settings cog next to the play button. click game settings. Click the check box for [Additional command line arguments] and copy paste -force-d3d11 into the field. It should look like this:

Step 6: Download the zip file I've included called Special K and extract it to your Hearthstone folder (probably on your C drive in your program filesx86)

Step 7: In your Hearthstone folder double click SKIM64 and click install. let it run and click affirmatives through the installer. Check the box to run on startup.

Step 8: Launch Hearthstone again, there should be an overlay now, but your text on screen is probably jumbled so close Hearthstone.

Step 9: go to your Hearthstone folder and open the file called dxgi - scroll down until you see [Textures.Cache] below that you will see a line that says IgnoreNonMipmapped=false - change that to IgnoreNonMipmapped=true - file/save the document and close it.

10: Launch Hearthstone and open the Special K menu in game by hitting Ctrl+Shift+Backspace. Agree to the terms and then click Render Mod Tools to open a new window. Click Refresh textures and then select the first texture and click dump to disk, this will create the SK_Res folder and allow you to create the file path for your injected textures. Here's a picture:
Step 11: Go to your Hearthstone folder and open the file called SK_Res. add two folders to this file if they aren't already there; one called Dump and another called Inject. in the inject create another folder called Textures and then in Textures create another folder called Hearthstone.exe - So the path should be Hearthstone/SK_Res/Inject/Textures/Hearthstone.exe/MODS GO HERE!

Step 12: grab a pack someone has uploaded (mine is in my signature) and extract it into your Inject/Textures/Hearthstone.exe folder.

Step 13: Launch Hearthstone and be happy.

Note* if you are having trouble AFTER doing all of this, restart your computer and go to your documents/my mods/SpecialK folder and double click SKIM64 to relaunch it.

If you get an error or something doesn't look right let me know and try to include a picture of whats happening.

Much love
-Vel

Edited 10/18/2021
Bruh thank you so much i did everything and it fixed my problems and now everything's working fine.

Last edited:

join2727

Potential Patron
Guys can i ask, if i wanted to replace a cards look for example dragonqueen alexstrasza for another, then how am i supposed to find the card's name or code? or whatever it is

Velika

Swell Supporter
Guys can i ask, if i wanted to replace a cards look for example dragonqueen alexstrasza for another, then how am i supposed to find the card's name or code? or whatever it is
Here is my guide for putting your own images into the game. Everything you need to know should be in there. If you read through the guide and are still confused let me know.

TNet

Modder
Good morning deadmine.
Here's the raw textures with SK from the latest patch, including deadmine standard cards, mercenaries and Edwin skin.

I think there was a unity update, and they updated all the codes; SK still attaches but it would be a long day to rearrange all the hex codes...

Happy Modding.

Attachments

textures_deadmine.zip
15.5 MB · Views: 254

Last edited:

TNet

Modder
Yeah mine isn't working, how long would you expect for it to be working again?

Technically SK is correctly working after the update and I found it is not blocked with updated file name.
Still we need to update all the file names in the package.
For me, my set has 1700+ files and I need to update them one-by-one. (including all the single player adventures, BG, Duel and mercenaries)
Not sure when, requires patience.

Talking about that, similar thing happened in Uldum mini updates...? maybe 2-year cycle?

baronvonfreetime

Potential Patron
if yall dont mind i can whip up a stand in while we wait for tnet, of course itll be scraped together from others with only a couple originals but hey, better than nothin right? also depends on roughly how long tnet thinks they will be, i can prob get a fairly big chunk by tommorow if you folks feelin impatient

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.