DialogueChecker (Latest version: V3.07, 18 December 2016) (1 Viewer)

Spinner

Potential Patron
Re: DialogueChecker (Latest version: V3.01, 6 June 2015)

sby said:
got notepad++?
could probably do it with regular expression find/replace

find:
(.*:")
replace:
\1

do note that there is a space after the closing paren in the find. if you don't know how to do this and are patient enough, i could run it through the find/replace if you send me the dialog

Thank you sby... Both for taking the time to respond and your offer to help...

However, my issue is not one of how to remove... but rather how to retain and reduce error reporting in the DC. :D

BTW: Pim_gd has already solved most of this and the balance can be lived with.

Pim_gd

Content Creator

I could add a #DialogueChecker-NoLeadingSpace#, I guess.

Spinner

Potential Patron

Pim_gd said:
I could add a #DialogueChecker-NoLeadingSpace#, I guess.

LOL... But you already do so much. 8)

Perhaps you could add it to your list of "things to do when everything else is done" ;)

Spinner

Potential Patron

Pim_gd said:
Uploaded v3.02dev to the BitBucket downloads page.
It has #DialogueChecker-NoLeadingSpace# in it.

Pim... You da man! :D

Downloaded, tested, and confirmed... Thank you.

BTW: Now that I am paying more attention to DC grammar checking, I note it doesn't like punctuation with *ME*.
Example:
line1:"Hello *ME*." {"style":"Him"}
line2:"Hello *ME*!" {"style":"Him"}
line3:"Hello *ME*, I've been looking for you." {"style":"Him"}

Of the above, only line1 passes checking. line2 & line3 fail with "space before exclamation mark" and "Space before comma" respectively.

This is easily overcome (by using a user-defined *variable* rather than *ME*)... but seems odd.

aztlan

Casual Client

Change:

to

line1:"Hello* ME*." {"style":"Him"}
line2:"Hello* ME*!" {"style":"Him"}
line3:"Hello* ME*, I've been looking for you." {"style":"Him"}

Spinner

Potential Patron

aztlan said:
Change:

to

line1:"Hello* ME*." {"style":"Him"}
line2:"Hello* ME*!" {"style":"Him"}
line3:"Hello* ME*, I've been looking for you." {"style":"Him"}

Thank you for your reply aztlan.

I have seen dialogues using this approach (and thought it odd).

The lines play fine through SDT (so are syntactically correct).
It seems odd to change valid syntax to something else in order to satisfy a syntax checker... No? :o

Also, it doesn't address the issue completely. For example it won't work when the line opens with *ME*:
line3:"*ME*, I've been looking for you." {"style":"Him"}
Will fail DC with "Sentence starting with a comma"
as will:
line3:"* ME*, I've been looking for you." {"style":"Him"}

One can of course simply work around the problem by having a user-defined variable. Something as simple as *me* works and passes the DC checks.
But for first-timers, isn't this just a step to confusion? :-\

Pim_gd

Content Creator

Uhhhh maybe you're missing the basic element again:
*ME* is a substitution, not an insertion, and just like *YOU*, can fail to print because the value is empty.
Uncheck substitutes if you take having him and her names set as a requirement for your dialogue, but otherwise, these issues are perfectly valid and should be fixed where possible.

line3:"*ME*, I've been looking for you."

Can be fixed as such:

line3:"*ME, *I've been looking for you."

Not all cases like these can be fixed as easily, but fix where you can.

Spinner

Potential Patron

Pim_gd said:
Uhhhh maybe you're missing the basic element again:
*ME* is a substitution, not an insertion, and just like *YOU*, can fail to print because the value is empty.
Uncheck substitutes if you take having him and her names set as a requirement for your dialogue, but otherwise, these issues are perfectly valid and should be fixed where possible.

line3:"*ME*, I've been looking for you."

Can be fixed as such:

line3:"*ME, *I've been looking for you."

Not all cases like these can be fixed as easily, but fix where you can.

Yep... you are right... Missed the distinction... ???
Partly because it seems you have to go out of your way to not have a *ME* name...
... and partly because what I'm working on now always has one...!

Thanks for clearing it up. :D

Now we're on the subject (and just for my edification)...

Other than deliberately loading a char code with "charName:;" is there any other way of ending up with no *ME* name?

Also, I have never figured out how one names *YOU*
(I use variables for this so it has not mattered... but am still intrigued).
So... how do you give Him a name in SDT?

Pim_gd

Content Creator

One of the menus of sdt has a name field just a bit to the right of bottom center

Spinner

Potential Patron

Pim_gd said:
One of the menus of sdt has a name field just a bit to the right of bottom center

Hi Pim... and thanks...

I still can't find it... And have looked all over now and previously (when I first saw your dialogue guide).
It doesn't matter though... I don't uses it and was just curious.

Thanks again.

Pim_gd

Content Creator

Spinner said:
Pim_gd said:

Hi Pim... and thanks...

I still can't find it... And have looked all over now and previously (when I first saw your dialogue guide).
It doesn't matter though... I don't uses it and was just curious.

Thanks again.

From one of the dialogue guides:
You can set your name in game, in the "Custom" tab under "Dialogue name."

Please go to that tab and look at all the input fields. Write "Bob" into them if need be, testing them one by one. But failing to find something like this and then acting apathetic to that failure ticks me off on a level you can't imagine.

It's an input textfield in a menu. Find the rectangle. You can do it. I will make a picture for you tonight, showing you this rectangle. And perhaps various other shapes for highlighting this rectangle.

EDIT:

Here it is.

Attachments

• sdtdialoguename.png
    sdtdialoguename.png
    62.1 KB · Views: 166

Spinner

Potential Patron
Re: Him name / aka YOU name

Pim_gd said:
From one of the dialogue guides:
You can set your name in game, in the "Custom" tab under "Dialogue name."

Please go to that tab and look at all the input fields. Write "Bob" into them if need be, testing them one by one. But failing to find something like this and then acting apathetic to that failure ticks me off on a level you can't imagine.

Thank you for taking the time to pursue this further...
I have seen the text box, and assumed it was a "Dialogue Name" (as labeled) not a "Him" name.
Sadly perhaps, I have looked for a "Him" name on more than one occasion, but apparently lacked the intuitive insight to guess that "Dialogue Name" actually meant "Him Name".

Re being apathetic: I seems I should have been more verbose in my last post on this...
I said what I said not to save me time at all. Rather, I was trying to avoid impinging on your time any further on a subject that was a mere curiosity to me. You have been both helpful and responsive to my requests on many subjects and I was keen not to squander that.

I sincerely apologise therefore if my good intentions went awry and led to any frustration on your part. :o

If there is a point to be pursued further regarding this, then I would suggest a minor amendment to your excellent guide:
Change line:
YOU - The name of the Him model as entered through the options menu.
To:
YOU - The name of the Him model. This is entered in the "Dialogue Name" box on the "Custom" tab of the options menu.
(Not to be confused with the Custom Dialogue boxes on the Modding tab)

I would also change:
ME - The name of the Her model, such as Asuka.
To:
ME - The name of the Her model. This is the name shown in the Character selections menu (SD Chan, Asuka, Etc.).

Pim_gd

Content Creator

I'll make that change tonight.

I'm not angry, more frustrated by the situation where you seem to ask stupid questions (which actually have a valid basis and arent stupid at all, please do keep asking), and when my initial explanation fails, you presume that "well, if its too much work, then lets not do it, saves you time.". When in fact it should take 10 seconds to understand - 1 sentence would lead to understanding.

Aaaaanyway.

I wonder how I should handle parsing multiple dialogues? How about you enter a path in the input field or a list of files... And then I parse each of them?

Spinner

Potential Patron

Pim_gd said:
I wonder how I should handle parsing multiple dialogues? How about you enter a path in the input field or a list of files... And then I parse each of them?

If you're seeking input... I would suggest, from a user's perspective, that the simplest would be a folder path and everything else is taken care of. :D

However, I'm not sure what "everything else" might entail...? :o

As you are clearly responsive to feedback and suggestions... perhaps the best development strategy would be to take a minimalist approach initially (i.e. just do what your doing now, but to multiple files)... and see what feedback you get. ;)

aztlan

Casual Client

I haven't had any particular problem loading up multiple files one after the other to check them. Further if (when) I get an error I have to go back and edit each file individually anyway so I'm not sure it would save that much time other than when double checking that there is no error. Thus I wouldn't rate such a feature very highly in terms of development effort...

Pim_gd

Content Creator

It's for checking directories of dialogues for new versions, AND for preparing things like global variable checks.

Pim_gd

Content Creator
August 8, 2015
Introducing v3.02!
- added #DialogueChecker-NoLeadingSpace#, for disabling the Space at start of new line [:" ] check.
- added support for DAv4.01 triggers ([PLAY_SFX_<filename>], [STOP_SFX])
- added support for DAv4.01 variables (da.finishes)
- updated support for Animtoolsv14 (was missing atv_active, and a few linetypes)
- minor code cleanup with regards to adding support for new variables
Download link in OP, and on the downloads page of the BitBucket repository.

Not much of an update this time around - since there weren't any issues with the dev build, I've pushed it as live. Added support for DAv4.01 because it wasn't much work, and fixed animtools support.

Mostly it's a build just to make people use the latest version, without having to worry about "dev" labels.

jase

Vivacious Visitor

Syntax - Minor: Found a probable illegal colon on line 495, col 200. Replace colons in dialogue lines with %3A.

Line 495: select1_INSTANT:"[RELEASE][PULL_OFF][RESET_RESIST][CLEAN_ALL][SETVARBYNAME_da.charcode.load_baseCode][APPENDVAR_da.charcode.load_charName:][APPENDVARBYNAME_da.charcode.load_firstName][LOAD_CHARCODE][select1]"{"style":"Thought"}​

That's actually a legal value for APPENDVAR_, and it does add the correct name to the charCode. Dialog Actions also reports an error, but it does that for any APPEND triggers, and I'm unsure why because it always works as expected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.