WWE series (1 Viewer)

pirajacinto

Ryonani Teamster
If your going more for ryona, I say go for SvR2009 instead. It's not as pretty as a game from what I remember, but if you really want intergender stuff, there's nothing wrong with going to an older game. The reason for this is because in 2010 and 2011, intergender matches ARE there, but if a guy even touches the girl that's not breaking a pin, it's auto DQ. Even just a punch (THAT THE COMPUTER DID) to the diva, it's DQ for them.

In fact, I recorded several of my online matches based on there being a chance for ryona. I plan even turn back to those once in awhile just to have my Rikku caw get beat up by people that don't know what their doing. In fact, if you really want to play Divas there is also a Divas storyline in 2010. Each version is slightly different, and while they are in more match-ups, they don't really matter to me as much if they can't fight against the males (besides, as a true WWE fan and not a ryona fan, I would personally play as the guys on tv.

As for 2011, almost all of the submission holds are now are struggle submissions, as in they can last as long as you want. Maybe in fact in the vine of Rumble Roses, but instead of the face buttons it's the R3 stick. WWE Universe Mode can help you in just having fun with Divas, as you can have a full roster of Divas and have cut-scenes related to them. Now with 'complete control', you can also move your throws in a degree instead of just a preset animation. So you can turn your moves around to hit stuff like tables, instead of hoping for your animation to match it.

As for screaming....there has been glitches in which Jericho and Cena scream like girls.

noice1

Potential Patron
Can't you get around the Diva-DQ by turning DQ off?

I'm glad they moved submissions over to struggle. What's really frustrating is that in 2008, there are so many submission moves that don't use this system and are therefore useless as submission moves since the opponent won't tap to them. Maybe in a year or two I'll grab one of the newer titles for cheap, because I've felt gipped by the last few games.

pirajacinto

Ryonani Teamster
2009 or 2010 in Target really dropped down in price. I think the controls would still be the same for the PS2 versions, but then you won't get the HD version of ryona. As for turning off the DQ, I remember the DQ off option being unselectable.

EvilDraconis

Ryonani Teamster
How's the character creation in this one because I'm usually disappointed by them.

It's good enough. The biggest issue is the fact that you have to unlock like half the female characters. Theirs a few save files on gamefaqs for ps2 if you emulate, but I can't get them working for some reason.

Grungust

Potential Patron
How's the character creation in this one because I'm usually disappointed by them.

It's mostly the same as previous years. They added a few things and removed a few. Usual idiotic THQ behaviour. Oh yeah, a lot of moves are inexplicably gone. Patterns are back in this year, but they completely and bafflingly removed the ability to adjust the opacity of tattoos, face paint, make-up etc. You can also no longer edit skin tone in a detailed fashion, having instead to accept one from a selection of pre-existing colours.

All in all, I think this is the last game in the series that I'll be buying. Every year we are treated to the same stupid blemishes and glitches.

Last edited by a moderator:

noice1

Potential Patron
It's mostly the same as previous years. They added a few things and removed a few. Usual idiotic THQ behaviour. Oh yeah, a lot of moves are inexplicably gone. Patterns are back in this year, but they completely and bafflingly removed the ability to adjust the opacity of tattoos, face paint, make-up etc. You can also no longer edit skin tone in a detailed fashion, having instead to accept one from a selection of pre-existing colours.

Words escape me. I've always griped about how they keep making unnecessary changes, removing stuff or "revamping" what was never broken. I was honestly considering buying 2010 because it's cheap now, but, I might be done with these games too. What the hell happened to THQ?

bryanthunder

Ryonani Teamster
Words escape me. I've always griped about how they keep making unnecessary changes, removing stuff or "revamping" what was never broken. I was honestly considering buying 2010 because it's cheap now, but, I might be done with these games too. What the hell happened to THQ?

Actually I recently picked up a used copy of 2010 from my local game store: It's not bad, the Create a Character is improved over the last one I played, which I am pretty sure was '09... but it's been so long I am uncertain. There are actually several create modes too: Aside from the usual; create a wrestler, move-set, and entrance, they also have a create a story mode; which, I've only toyed with a little.
Irregardless, I wouldn't spend more than 20-25 bucks on the game. It's decent, but not exactly high quality.
Then again these games have to be released every single year, so if features are added one year but removed the next, it's usually due to time constraints... or alternatively they weren't that useful/popular/necessary. I mean normal game development cycles can be anywhere from two to five years on average, and it takes longer if the game is on multiple platforms. The difference in coding from the Xbox 360 to the PS3 alone means you need twice as many debugging hours.
So, yeah it's frustrating seeing some features constantly removed or reworked; but it's at least somewhat understandable of you think about it.

Incidentally I have not played 2011, I would never spend more than 30 bucks on a game I know is going to be no more than decent.

Grungust

Potential Patron

2010 isn't bad. As bryanthunder noted it did have some legitimate improvements over the 2009 edition. The ability to search and download other user content (CAWS, stories, move-sets etc) was long overdue. 2011 is the major disappointment. I have lost the little faith I had in THQ. The only real benefits this holds over 2010 is the expanded Diva match selection, the limited but fun match customisations, the fact you can now create turnbuckle finishers and the slight improvements to the story creator.

One thing I will say in the title's favour in terms of Ryona, is that you can now edit the brands and have the game generate shows and matches with your rosters. This is inclusive of feuds, friendships, teams etc. If you want to you can fill Raw with nothing but Divas and have the game run things from there. The highlight reel (in-game movie editor) is still there, which can be fun.

The thing that really gets me, is that there are bugs that have been present in the Smackdown vs Raw series for years and they still have yet to fix any of them. Also when are you going to put the bloody torture rack/Argentine backbreaker back in THQ? Regardless, I would have been pissed if I had paid full price for this.

noice1

Potential Patron
Ah, well, at least there's some upgrade in my future. I guess 20 bucks won't break the bank, and it's probably all it's worth to buy one of these games now. I doubt I'll be able to take advantage of any online stuff without XBL Gold, which I hardly used, but I'm mostly just dying for a roster update and to stop hearing the same half-assed, inane announcer lines. I do really get into custom move-sets and CAWs, so I'm sure I'll be pleased there, but I really didn't like the fighting style system in 2008. I can't spend a month in 24/7 to unlock Legends.

pirajacinto

Ryonani Teamster
Hmm, this makes me want to make a Story in Story Designer based on all the male wrestlers commenting on how badly they beaten up the female wrestlers...then use clips from 2009 as memory stuff. But then, your able to do that in 2010 also...

noice1

Potential Patron
WWE has a pretty strong stance against violence on "divas", especially restricting mixed matches. I'm not begging for them to bleed, but I'd at least like them to be able to take a fall from a ladder or go through a table. I still remember the Dudley Boyz when they put women through tables, was so awesome.

pirajacinto

Ryonani Teamster
Eh? That IS what your able to do in 2010 and 2011. Divas can be part of Hardcore, Steel Cage, I think even Inferno matches.

noice1

Potential Patron
Eh? That IS what your able to do in 2010 and 2011. Divas can be part of Hardcore, Steel Cage, I think even Inferno matches.

I only have 2008, where I stopped out of a desire to create an effigy. They didn't allow any of that in '08, but it's an abomination on many other levels. I have been missing out.
TT%20TT.png

Dear Santa, I have been about the same this year, and have suffered enough terrible wrestling action...

TheCrimsonRisk

Ryonani Teamster
I'm definitely bummed there's no Kaitlyn, but there's THREE versions of Triple H so that makes up for it doesn't it? >:( But seriously, winning that Diva search competition was really great for her, wasn't it? At least she'll probably be DLC that you have to pay for, so thanks THQ!

As for AJ...hmm, not sure. I watched the video on IGN and the graphic says she's DLC, so she must be playable, right? On the other hand, they had gameplay footage of all the characters they announced except for her so I can't be sure. They wouldn't make you pay for a character you couldn't even wrestle, right? RIGHT?

On the positive side, I'm pumped for Brodus Clay (but no dancers!), Eddie Guerrero, Ken Shamrock, Mike Tyson, Vader and Trish Stratus. Not to mention Layla...wait a minute...

*looks at the list again*

No Layla. No. Fucking. Layla. NOFUCKINGLAYLA!!! It's not like she's the FUCKING DIVAS CHAMPION OR ANYTHING. Kharma and the Bella twins are in the game and they're not even with the damn company anymore! Congratulations THQ, you just lost a sale.

DO NOT BUY

anotherguttersnipe

Ryonani Teamster
....And I'm guessing that CAS divas will still have the white line across their torsos-thus preventing me from creating that aesthetic looks with the one-piece swimsuit I like. Mixed matches will still be locked for the sake of PG-or perhaps to protect the good image of the WWE superstars. Nothing will really change in the end, but we'll still buy it. You know why? Because WWE has a monopoly over the genre-anywhere. There are virtually no alternative titles-even web based ones. You want a wrestling game? You HAVE to buy a WWE game.

This has to change. Someone has to step up and provide THQ with competition. Only then will the games get better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.