Street Fighter Series (1 Viewer)

Player_20

Club Regular
Wow, Laura's alt costume.
20_moresf5alts08.jpg 20_moresf5alts09.jpg

D

Deleted member 31

Awesome gifs dudes ^^^^^

Btw, I figured I'd post this here for anyone that's into Chun Li right now and likes ryona art. I recently discovered long time AWESOME artist Keung Lee has a patreon where he creates custom ryona art (a lot of chun li stuff) for donors.

If you become donor, you'll get access to all his previous wall postings that include chun li ryona art, and some kasumi/bayonetta/couple others. He updates monthly and sends you high res art. Right now here's working on a comic depicting chun vs that huge blond.

Here's a "tease" of his stuff.

15577751670601603188.jpg

8340996517475189773.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 31

Have there been any good ryona vids for this game? I've been thinking of making some.

mm_mml

Avid Affiliate
Have there been any good ryona vids for this game? I've been thinking of making some.
Don't think there are any good vids yet but it has been pretty tedious/annoying to look for ryona related vids on youtube for awhile now. Hope you do make one, imo you and that new love kula guy make some of my fav ryona related videos that are still alive in recent times.

Ryonaneer

Club Regular
I've seen a buncha ryona vids for SFV floatin' around but I dunno how good they are! A lot seem focus on Zangief grapples or finishers, which ain't my thing too much. ^^;; Although I already did vids for the dizzy animations, which are my fav ryona for fighting games, heh. But I did those back with the beta. Soooo I'll be happy when more characters I like come!

D

Deleted member 31

Haven't been looking very actively but I don't think so! Also, nice to see an old timer, forum's been kinda dead :)
Good to see some familiar faces ;)

I've seen a buncha ryona vids for SFV floatin' around but I dunno how good they are! A lot seem focus on Zangief grapples or finishers, which ain't my thing too much. ^^;; Although I already did vids for the dizzy animations, which are my fav ryona for fighting games, heh. But I did those back with the beta. Soooo I'll be happy when more characters I like come!
Checked out of your vids, the dizzy animations are great in this game.

I've been pretty lazy myself and just haven't made any vids lately because the games have been more challenging to do. But despite it being a bit light on ryona moves (grabs, painful special moves), I think SFV can have a lot to offer because the quality of the animation and art design of the characters are so strong.

This was one of my earlier SF4 vids and it's a bit dated, but I think if I use it as a reference I could make something cool with SFV.

Jeez watching that vid again I realize, the audio is really everything. Chun's voice, got damn lol!

Hoopla

Avid Affiliate
So, even though I don't have the game, I was exploring around the webs looking for info and hopefully screenshots of the new costumes that got added (especially Cammy's story mode one probably my favourite in the entire game) and came across this.

Steam Community :: 洋娃娃 :: Artwork

Some of the new costumes look really nice, especially Rashid and Laura, and props to Capcom on these character models; they look really really good. Probably some of the most impressive art in a fighting game this generation, all nice and bright. Others are kinda meh like I'm not too big on Karin's or R. Mika's new ones but whatever. If Capcom keeps pushing quality content like this, especially with the new DLC characters, I'm willing to put down the 300 or whatever dollars for a PS4.

carl_fennin

Swell Supporter
Here is one for those who are into zako. During the Story Mode for Street Fighter V, there is a cutscene where M. Bison takes on five of the Kanzuki Zaibatsu female ninjas at once. They effortlessly get whomped by M. Bison and his Psycho Power. You can watch the moment in the link below. If the video does not start at 27 minutes and 37 seconds, then be sure to skip to that part of the video. The scene lasts from 27:37 to 28:29 so be sure to watch just between that time frame if you are fearful of spoilers towards anything else.

Street Fighter V - Story Mode - M. Bison vs. Five Kanzuki Zaibatsu Ninjas Zako

There are other moments where no-name (well, some do have names anyway) jobbers show up just to go down in one hit and sometimes you even fight against them as well. I'm sure someone else can probably highlight such things better than I can.

mastermind6160

Vivacious Visitor
Anyone else disappointed on the portrayal of chun li in the story mode?
***spoiler alert***

Even though chun li is my favorite ryona character, it's because she's "the world's strongest women" that makes me love her so much... It really felt she didn't hold that title at all, rushing in and getting her ass kicked by bison, then Rasheed, and then spending the rest just running. Chun li didn't even help against bison at the end and even when carrying li-fen to safety it was ryu that saves them at the end. She even gets her butt kicked against birdie in his story mode...

To me the most badass female was actually Karin... It felt like I played Karin more than any other character in story mode with her winning each fight. Not only that but felt Karin's role was a lot bigger leading the charge. Ironicly it makes one of my favorite ryona arts "Dethroned" by keunglee feel more like canon where Chun li is coming in as the underdog and has no chance to beat a badass like Karin...whereas I felt before Karin coming in as the underdog upseting chun li giving her a much more humiliating loss.

b09h

Vivacious Visitor
***spoiler alert***

Even though chun li is my favorite ryona character, it's because she's "the world's strongest women" that makes me love her so much... It really felt she didn't hold that title at all, rushing in and getting her ass kicked by bison, then Rasheed, and then spending the rest just running. Chun li didn't even help against bison at the end and even when carrying li-fen to safety it was ryu that saves them at the end. She even gets her butt kicked against birdie in his story mode...

To me the most badass female was actually Karin... It felt like I played Karin more than any other character in story mode with her winning each fight. Not only that but felt Karin's role was a lot bigger leading the charge. Ironicly it makes one of my favorite ryona arts "Dethroned" by keunglee feel more like canon where Chun li is coming in as the underdog and has no chance to beat a badass like Karin...whereas I felt before Karin coming in as the underdog upseting chun li giving her a much more humiliating loss.
It's capcom being idiots again. The story mode made zero sense. Completely horrible. Characters like ryu and karin are op as shit and everybody else did nothing. I wish the story mode never existed and we got juri and urien completed instead.

Chun-Li_Forever

Club Regular
It's capcom being idiots again. The story mode made zero sense. Completely horrible. Characters like ryu and karin are op as shit and everybody else did nothing. I wish the story mode never existed and we got juri and urien completed instead.
I disagree. I actually enjoyrd the story mode. I thought it was well done, considering the fact that fighting games arent supposed to be known for its story mode. I thought it couldve done better in regards to development of a few characters. And maybe give Chun-Li a stronger role, since she is the one who supposedly ended shadaloo and maybe finally have her avenge bison's death. But oher that that, for a fighting game, i though ti was good

b09h

Vivacious Visitor
I disagree. I actually enjoyrd the story mode. I thought it was well done, considering the fact that fighting games arent supposed to be known for its story mode. I thought it couldve done better in regards to development of a few characters. And maybe give Chun-Li a stronger role, since she is the one who supposedly ended shadaloo and maybe finally have her avenge bison's death. But oher that that, for a fighting game, i though ti was good
I'm glad you enjoyed it. The problem I have with the game is exactly as how you described it. Chun li, charlie and many other chars were completely useless. Why even bother with a story mode if capcom is just going to disrespect on its own property. Now that the story is out, it can't be undone and it left a really bad taste in my mouth. Same thing happened to me with the mortal kombat story mode. It wouldn't be as bad, if this story was just a spin-off or something, but that was not the case, actual main chars died in this in very meaningless way. The worst part for me is that it seems like capcom actually put effort in this update for the first time since launch and it was completely misguided imo. There are many areas the game could be improved but instead capcom focused alot of its effort on a story mode that was 90% cinematic, which most people would played just once or not at all. I know I'm in the minority, but I truly despise these mortal kombat style story mode in my fighting games, they devalue alot of the chars in their own game and I wish I've never played this story mode. Fighting games were just fine before the new mortal kombat introduced this type of mode, so I don't know why game devs hold netherrelm in such high regard. Sorry for the anger, but I could only judge the mode by its story, as that's all it presented to us.

DeNice

Ryonani Teamster
***spoiler alert***

**spoilers and rant incoming....**

Having Capcom in charge of telling any story (that's not Rival Schools or Darkstalkers...) is instantly asking for disappointment. This is the same company that said that Marvel vs. Capcom 3 would have a deep story and then it proceeded to do just a couple of stills per character and a lame text ending just like the old games. And then there's Street Fighter x Tekken & the Pandora set-up (plus completely screwing up over half the Tekken side's personalities... Poor Xiaoyu...) and Street Fighter 4's continuous indecisiveness on who to focus on throughout its lifespan, Abel, Juri or Decapre, and failing there as well...

But enough about that. SF5's story did have some high points but it had some glaring lows. While as a Karin fan I was really living it up seeing her go from little rich ojou rival to my fave SF, Sakura, to literally saving the world (along with Rashid) by bringing her management and fighting skills to the table, the writers totally forgot the ones that should've been really facing Bison in the first place outside of Nash. So that means that Chun-Li literally got the short-end of the stick again (which has been happening for quite a few games now story wise...) I knew something was up when all the previews to the story that had Chun-Li in it always had her already defeated or just being useless and needed Cammy or Guile to save her and made the prediction that she'd literally be as useful to the plot as Zelda is in any given Legend of Zelda game; "implied" to be important to the plot but barely does anything and always requires saving. At LEAST she was the one to take down F.A.N.G. at the end and he totally needed to be ended for what he did to the Dolls (love those girls now...) but it felt more like a consolation prize since that's the ONLY time you play as her... at the end of story mode... after kicking her ass three times over with other characters (...oh... and I guess it was nice that she literally blew through a metal Shadalow security door like it was nothing along with Karin... Where was THIS Chun at the whole story mode...?)

This next bit may not be ryona centered but it really shows how Capcom is with story, there are characters that made even LESS impact when they should've been front and center than Chun-Li. I'm more disappointed with the handling of Guile & Necalli. Guile literally only fights of one of the Dolls and that's it really. He got into a scuffle with Vega and that never really went anywhere (despite this being the same scene where Chun tries to bum-rush the 4 Kings, Bison hands Chun her ass and nearly kills her on the spot without even trying... which then leads into her being so weakened Rashid also handily beat her later that night.) He and Nash have literally no interaction even though Nash was supposed to be THE driving motivation to Guile's actions in the WHOLE series, dude watches Nash literally sacrifice his body once again to try to weaken Bison and ends himself, has NO reaction to Bison stepping on his cherished friend's dogtags he gave back to him the night before and isn't even the one (nor Chun) that kills the joker. RYU just comes out of nowhere (from his 'special training'... that ALL happened off-screen mind you) and defeats a villian he has ZERO connections with outside of the Alpha series (and even then that was mostly retconned). Oh, and the supposed major new antagonist Necalli literally does NOTHING but get his ass kicked by the people we was prophecized to 'devour' and then exits stage left, turning him into a joke even bigger than Dan Hibiki. Why even bother with trying to set up big plots to the game if you're gonna squander such potential? Ryu should've just stayed out of the Shadaloo conflict all-together and beefed with Necalli while Chun, Guile, Cammy & Nash properly dealt with the four Kings.

And here's another one to throw on the fire, why was Laura even there? Ignoring the beginning part with Gief, Mika and Alex since they didn't even start fighting due to MOONZ, she shows up during the mid part and causes a big fuss with Ken & the gang while being stereotypically overpretective of Sean, then goes 'let me go with you to help'... only to literally not appear again in the rest of the story outside of ONE quick glimpse of her... AFTER Bison was defeated. Note that this would've been the perfect scene for Sean to start his idolization of Ken for saving his life, but nope? Laura comes up and ruins it... then gives back nothing to make up for it. Sorry, she may be hot and her story mode outfit is perfect for ryona in my eyes, but that's just a massive turn off with badly written characters like that for me.

Again, Karin may be my favorite character in the game and I loved her big role, loved the Dolls being so... interesting (and sexy IMO... Playable when?), Rashid getting his big bits in at the end (even though some of that was ALSO BS...) and some other moments during the story (Zangief, Juri & the little bit of Urien for example) but that doesn't excuse Capcom for dropping the ball with the rest of the characters & plot. I expected Chun to really step up here like I was led to believe in SF3 Third Strike; I was disappointed on that regard plain and simple... and even when I get all these scenes of her being bested it just feels its because she's being completely incompetent and a non-factor instead of actually being defeated and broken down like a true strong female fighter should have been, ESPECIALLY someone as legendary as her in that regard. I mean... that's her whole appeal. Most of us don't like just seeing Chun being abused just because she's some typically weak woman who just happens to be hot, we liked seeing the woman actually BE the Stronger Woman in the World and show off her strength, wit and skill, and THAT is what makes seeing her in fallen, defeated positions so alluring... You know, actually see the pride before the fall; not have her be broken out of the box. Crazy logic, I know... but I'm tired of seeing one of my all time favorite girls job so hard lately. It's getting absurd now. Might as well hand that title to Karin, Cammy or Juri because she's sure not using it these days...

*sigh* At least I can sorta make that up by actually playing the game as her.... (and promptly getting my ass kicked online because well... that happens a lot too ironically... lol)

Last edited:

Rag40

Swell Supporter
While I haven't played the storymode for SFV yet, I just wanted to comment on something regarding these long story modes in recent fighting games. I played MK9 and MKX, so I will focus my comments on those.

Basically, rather than using all these resources to create one large 5-7 hour storymode, I wish they would just create smaller story modes for each individual character. This way scrubs like my boy Baraka could get his fifteen minutes of fame in his own unique storymode. Maybe treat it like arcade mode where you go through 8 or so fights, but have 4 of the 8 fights be storyline fights, complete with cinematics that are unique to that particular character. Also, give each character fully cinematic intros and endings to complete the package.

While it sounds like a lot, I figure if you break down all the manpower that goes into these large story modes, it would probably end up being about the same.

I don't know, just a thought. I was underwhelmed by the story mode in both MK9 and MKX and I am sure I would have the same opinion with SFV. Some characters just end up getting the shaft. And it sounds like Chun-Li of all people gets the shaft in SFV, which is pretty ridiculous.

I won't even begin to touch on the quality of the writing in all of these various storyline modes. There were some sequences in MKX that were just mind-numbingly terrible. But yeah, we won't even go there, lol.

White_Fox

Ryonani Teamster
Please add me/invite me if anyone is looking to punish R.Mika, Chun Li (battle outfit), Cammy, Ibuki (battle outfit).
I am a user of all the above characters and looking forward to match with people who plays Alex, Zangief, Balrog (Boxer), Necalli, M.Bison and Urien (future DLC).
My fighter ID is: White_Fox

Thief

Club Regular
Okay, warning long rant ahead... *takes deep breath*

Yeah, Karin and Ryu could have been handled better. In general, the whole "new power" or "new character" comes and solves everyone's llives plot device is very poor writing. I know Karin is a veteran from SFA3, but before she was simply Sakura's rival and had llittle connection with the main events. So, suddenly showing up and solving the problems that have stayed from the very beginning and essentially being the leader of the good guys because "lulz money equals magic" is a massive stretch of all her capabilities as they were stated before. Doubly so given that Karin's appearance in SFV and her expanded role are solely due to her massive popularity in Japan, it's also likely that her spotlight was mostly pandering to her fans. This, as said before, leads to character that have been struggling and have been developed gradually over all the series to get the short end of the stick. Chun Li and Guile, essentially Bison's Nemesis were pretty much demoted. It could have worked much better if she had a supporting and cooperative role with the other heroes instead of overshadowing them completely.

Similar issue with Ryu, I mean he's my man and he's been my hero since SF2, but the whole off screen training to suddenly toss aside the Satsui no Hadou was poorly done. I mean, the "show don't tell" rule applies here, if it isn't shown to the audience then you can't expect them to swallow and accept it. This is especially bad because Ryu's story for the last years in all media has been angst and struggle because of the Satsui no Hadou and it never really went anywhere, now in SFV it's magically solved offscreen. Really, they could have made gradual progress instead of the usual formula: Ryu is troubled by the Satsui no Hadou -> Fights strong opponent and wins -> Realizes he still has a long way to go -> Falls back into worries.

Guess characters being demoted is inevitable if fighting games try to follow BlazBlue's and Guilty Gear Xrd's style with a cinematic story. I mean, inf SF movies and series the focus was clearly on Ryu, Ken, Chun Li and Guile (how much on who depended on the work itself), hard to avoid it in a game itself that relinquished individual stories for more than a setup. It could have worked if the main story dealt with Bison's downfall and the individual stories the branches of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.