SDT Loader (1 Viewer)

C

capper

What happened to the mod imports part of the site? A few days ago, I could hop on there just fine and now its asking for a password with "The password is what you must use to "load" these mods. (1 word, 6 letters long)", and despite putting in the word Loader, it won't work. Did you just decide to lock out this content for some reason? That's where I got the tentacle BJ mod and stuff and now the board is inaccessible for no reason. I've already read several threads about this and it just doesn't make any sense. Yesterday (I swear to God) the password worked and I was browsing that board. A week ago it was the same damn board but no password was needed. What happened?

ModGuy

Content Creator
Anon got annoyed at users failing to understand that the Loader was required for specific mods.
To make it easier to teach them, he made the password "loader", which would be somewhat foolproof.
For some reason, most likely users distributing the password or just general trolling Anon has changed the password or broken something.

It's kind of annoying to have this issue and have no way to solve it other than to wait on Anon, but I look forward to hearing why he chose to do this.

No doubt it will be a tale riddled with rage and banhammers.

EDIT:
PandaPirate083 said:
man some crazy ass glitch if you ask me.

This was very helpful, thanks.

AaRL

Vivacious Visitor
I think instead of using passwords, just assign every (active) member a group. That we instead of people asking about passwords or having a problem like this happen. Like if you have over 50 posts, you can see the imports or something.

Or if someone is actively making mods for the loader, dialogues or custom backgrounds (Often and not just ONE to break the ice and get in) Assign them a higher level access to get into more areas of the board.

Plus can we please end the "one post wonders" and "guests" being able to access EVERY THING (except Special Place) I was able to log out and come back and see every thing. Just not post anything but since when do lurkers care about that? These these lurkers and trolls steal every thing. Then when they dont get something as simple as a LOADER to used to LOAD(er) the special mods, they spam the boards and the chat box with stupid shit.

Why not just make board for them? Like you need 50 INTELLIGENT posts to gain access to other areas.

Something like a tier system with access gained through intelligence!

ModGuy

Content Creator
AaRL said:
Like if you have over 50 posts, you can see the imports or something.

So you mean to say that we restrict content until users jump through hoops for us?
I don't like that idea very much.
I understand that you wish to promote the whole "get educated" approach but this will not solve much.
If anything we'll get more spam with complaints and even more confusion.

Also, non-English readers are SOL for the password which is pretty crappy.

I suppose an effective solution would be to remove the password and simply include compulsory guides with each related topic.
And if users still ask for help, refer them to the related topic where they got the files.

Isn't this why the warning system is in place? Because we expect users to be absolutely incapable?

Well I hope I get heard, I would hate to make it difficult to access things around here.

AaRL

Vivacious Visitor
I dont think asking for "50" intelligent posts to gain access is "jumping through hoops". Is it really that hard to post on topic in things you like on the boards? Im not saying restrict every thing, but the more advanced mods. Like the ones that DO require the loader should be tucked away until new users have been around long enough to learn the SIMPLE ropes as to loading a mod in your loader.

If not that, at least BLOCK GUESTS from seeing every thing as a normal member does. Or prevent downloading as a guest. Is it that hard to sign up for the forum?

Why should you create endless guides on how to load a mod? The guide that youve already made is simple enough I think.

patsy

Potential Patron
What about those of us who don't post much? Not all of us are spammers, not all of us want to be.

Forced content restriction based on post count isn't a good idea imo, and if it is implemented I really don't think it should be more than 10 posts.

I will say this, no matter how many guides and obstacles you put in, there will always be people who want a personalized response as to why they're being willfully ignorant.

EDIT: When the heck did I even get 50 posts here? o_O

anonymous

Avid Affiliate
SMF is retarded it seems, after I password a board, if I change the name or any settings for that matter, it sets its own password that is 15 characters long. It should be fixed.

I will comment later on the rest when im not on a retarded touch device.

EDIT: I've always felt that all of the content on the site should be available to everyone, with that said, I do however feel that content that requires ANY intelligence to use should be required to show some sort of intelligence in order to access the content.

Now I believe that most Loader content is fairly simple to use, but you do have to know to use the loader and not the vanilla SDT, so I figured using "loader" to get in was reasonable. But that also seems to have made things worse because now there are more idiots registering because they can't figure out how to spell loader.

Basing things on "intelligent" posts, the system has no way of knowing what "intelligent" posts are, but as far as intelligence equaling 50 posts, then fallout666 is among the most intelligent users, this theory is nonsense.

As far as not allowing guests access, if you don't want to be here, I don't want you here. As for giving people a certain class, I don't have the time, but I could set something up maybe so that you don't even see the folder unless you are a certain class, and to be this class all you have to do is request access and answer a question, but then that's banning guests, so no.

If anyone has good solutions to the predicament, then by all means suggest away.

On another note, apparently my touch device was set to spanish so it would autocorrect to spanish, which was causing problems... weird.

EDIT: Suggest something.

ModGuy

Content Creator
It would be easy enough to simply disable functionality in the loader until a variable is set.
Variable would be hidden away in a text file or something.

Once again screwing over foreign users.
I dunno... waitaminute.
Have an intro requirement upon signing up.
You have to read... ugh once again requiring English.

Waitanotherminute.
Video tutorials?

anonymous

Avid Affiliate
ModGuy said:
It would be easy enough to simply disable functionality in the loader until a variable is set.
Variable would be hidden away in a text file or something.

Once again screwing over foreign users.
I dunno... waitaminute.
Have an intro requirement upon signing up.
You have to read... ugh once again requiring English.

Waitanotherminute.
Video tutorials?
I don't know what you are suggesting, it just sounds like more problems for us. I want a way that prevents users from downloading the mods if they don't know how to use them. I still like the .mod extension.

ModGuy

Content Creator
Anonymous said:
it just sounds like more problems for us.
I still like the .mod extension.

Better a problem for us than a problem for users, we don't need more help threads.
.mod is still and most likely will always be possible. Just ask modders to rename stuff.

anonymous

Avid Affiliate
ModGuy said:
Anonymous said:
it just sounds like more problems for us.
I still like the .mod extension.

Better a problem for us than a problem for users, we don't need more help threads.
.mod is still and most likely will always be possible. Just ask modders to rename stuff.
When I said problem for us I meant that we would have tons of help threads still.

AaRL

Vivacious Visitor
Suggestion: All future mods that are updated must include a link in the post to the Loader saying something like this:

"To use this mod, you must download and use the Loader which can be found here: (Link)"

I dont mean "intelligence" as in smart. More like an educated post or a post with meaning. Not spaming a topic with nonsense like "Hi" or "I like this" over and over to build up a post count. As for the guest thing, what is the point of signing up anyway if you already have access to every thing...

Anonymous said:
EDIT: I've always felt that all of the content on the site should be available to everyone, with that said, I do however feel that content that requires ANY intelligence to use should be required to show some sort of intelligence in order to access the content.

Except for the special place... Guess the common man (myself and many others) are far too less intelligent to access that area.

anonymous

Avid Affiliate
AaRL said:
Suggestion: All future mods that are updated must include a link in the post to the Loader saying something like this:

"To use this mod, you must download and use the Loader which can be found here: (Link)"
The problem is too many people don't read, which is the problem from the beginning, so that will do nothing.

AaRL said:
I dont mean "intelligence" as in smart. More like an educated post or a post with meaning. Not spaming a topic with nonsense like "Hi" or "I like this" over and over to build up a post count. As for the guest thing, what is the point of signing up anyway if you already have access to every thing...
No way for me to set SMF up to decide if a post counts or not. Also, I've said this before elsewhere, there is NO reason to sign up for the forum if you aren't going to contribute, unless you want help.

AaRL said:
Anonymous said:

Except for the special place... Guess the common man (myself and many others) are far too less intelligent to access that area.
Yes, your grammar says it all.

Thee Pie Man

Potential Patron
Anonymous said:

Now I believe that most Loader content is fairly simple to use, but you do have to know to use the loader and not the vanilla SDT, so I figured using "loader" to get in was reasonable. But that also seems to have made things worse because now there are more idiots registering because they can't figure out how to spell loader.

Basing things on "intelligent" posts, the system has no way of knowing what "intelligent" posts are, but as far as intelligence equaling 50 posts, then fallout666 is among the most intelligent users, this theory is nonsense.

As far as not allowing guests access, if you don't want to be here, I don't want you here. As for giving people a certain class, I don't have the time, but I could set something up maybe so that you don't even see the folder unless you are a certain class, and to be this class all you have to do is request access and answer a question, but then that's banning guests, so no.

If anyone has good solutions to the predicament, then by all means suggest away.

If people don't read we can't really control whether they do or not. Unfortunately that does nothing for the problem at hand. Intelligence is judged by what exactly I think we should be asking. What would we base intelligence on? A post limit? Nah, what about a Karma limit? If you get enough karma then the board will open. Karma is rewarded through good idea's, links, etc correct? Is there a way to just make it so only certain Karma level user's can use it. If they aren't intelligent/ don't follow the path of righteousness then they get smited and they have no access. Can you do something like that? Places like Gamefaqs Does what I propose to their boards/topics *shrugs* just a suggestion. (Yes I know that Gamefaqs has karma rewarded everyday so it's a bit different.) Although I think the system as I described above would be a bit more secure as far as who is intelligent or not. Only problem I can see as a possible screw up is: One you would have to come up with the karma limits, and two people just karma spamming each other (Not sure if they can do that or not) just to get access to a board.

Seems like a good way to me but *shrugs* that's my dime subtracting eight cents.

ModGuy

Content Creator
Thee Pie Man said:
what about a Karma limit? If you get enough karma then the board will open.
If they don't follow the path of righteousness then they have no access.

I can see it now: One user gets access, reuploads content elsewhere.
Honestly, this is turning in to more and more of a hassle every day.
You'd be cutting down the majority of the forum and guests with a karma limit, and I'm against that.

anonymous

Avid Affiliate
Thee Pie Man said:
Anonymous said:

If people don't read we can't really control whether they do or not. Unfortunately that does nothing for the problem at hand. Intelligence is judged by what exactly I think we should be asking. What would we base intelligence on? A post limit? Nah, what about a Karma limit? If you get enough karma then the board will open. Karma is rewarded through good idea's, links, etc correct? Is there a way to just make it so only certain Karma level user's can use it. If they aren't intelligent/ don't follow the path of righteousness then they get smited and they have no access. Can you do something like that? Places like Gamefaqs Does what I propose to their boards/topics *shrugs* just a suggestion. (Yes I know that Gamefaqs has karma rewarded everyday so it's a bit different.) Although I think the system as I described above would be a bit more secure as far as who is intelligent or not. Only problem I can see as a possible screw up is: One you would have to come up with the karma limits, and two people just karma spamming each other (Not sure if they can do that or not) just to get access to a board.

Seems like a good way to me but *shrugs* that's my dime subtracting eight cents.
Yes, this is possible. No, I'm not doing that.

Guests can't receive karma, I still feel that guests should be allowed access to whatever they want within reason. Setting a karma limit would also lock out thousands of users who never post, or have contributed nothing worthwhile. Basically limiting the mods to modders, which is pretty weak.

Luckily we don't have the problem of people uploading content elsewhere... though I'd rather somewhere else be bothered with the idiots who cba to read.

Thee Pie Man

Potential Patron
Anonymous said:

Guests can't receive karma, I still feel that guests should be allowed access to whatever they want within reason. Setting a karma limit would also lock out thousands of users who never post, or have contributed nothing worthwhile. Basically limiting the mods to modders, which is pretty weak.

Luckily we don't have the problem of people uploading content elsewhere... though I'd rather somewhere else be bothered with the idiots who cba to read.

Well that is a major flaw in my suggestion. Now I hate my own words. What if we just put it in bold huge letters...Maybe then people would read it. Or we could just not care about the wanderers and let them sit there and complain. Ignoring is pretty easy I feel. *shrugs* Sorry Anon I have no real suggestion :-X I will keep thinking on it though and if I come up with something actually useful or reasonable I will let you know.

anonymous

Avid Affiliate
Thee Pie Man said:
Anonymous said:

Well that is a major flaw in my suggestion. Now I hate my own words. What if we just put it in bold huge letters...Maybe then people would read it. Or we could just not care about the wanderers and let them sit there and complain. Ignoring is pretty easy I feel. *shrugs* Sorry Anon I have no real suggestion :-X I will keep thinking on it though and if I come up with something actually useful or reasonable I will let you know.
I'm actually all for ignoring idiots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.