Ryona Audio Archive (1 Viewer)

d£t

nu
Ryonani Teamster
This is just a hobby project I've decided to start working on today. I'm thinking with a few other contributors it will grow to be a decent size, but before I go any further I should probably explain the goals of the project.

Goal
Ultimately, I'd just like to have a complete collection of audio of female characters from modern video games where a voice actress was used. I personally am only after combat related character sounds, taunts, and in-fight dialogue. I'm less interested in the cutscene dialogues but ultimately it's up to whoever rips the audio to pick what they extract, although I would like to keep them separate.

Why?
The sounds in ryona are pretty gosh dang important. While visuals are certainly a big part, a lot of the time without sound to go with it, it doesn't really sell itself. Try watching some ryona videos of Rumble Roses, Soul Calibur, or Tekken with the sound muted and you should see what I mean. Unless of course, you know the sounds well enough you can just play them back in your head or something, weirdo. :oh u !:
I was ripping sounds from Bloodrayne 2 and forgot how condescending, vulgar, and in some cases pretty fucking hot the enemies taunts were. Terminal Reality seems to have a knack for making it actually sound like the enemies want to beat the hell out of your character and have some fun with them afterward because Aeon Flux has some similar stuff, just not to the same degree.

Who?
I'm starting this project mostly for indie game devs, ryona video makers, and just for the folks that like to listen to the voice work. I myself have swapped sounds in some of my videos and games I play and it's not always as straight forward as digging through the game folder to find them. They're often in encoded formats that aren't easily usable or even converted. I would like any project contributions to be in an easily accessible format such as WAV or MP3 and at the bare minimum separated by the character the sounds are for.

How?
This is the part I could use some help with, as I don't really have any collaborative project management experience. Not really sure if there's a good web project management application that would suit this either. I'm open to suggestions. For now, I'll list what games I've completed, which ones I plan to do, and which ones I've tried and failed to extract from. I probably won't post anything until I find a good place to house this little project. Seeing as how all the sounds are copyright protected material by big time US game developers/publishers, I don't want to host it locally on the site for obvious reasons.

I will try to put up a good list of multipurpose tools that will work for many games in the near future.
At the bare minimum, having Game Extractor helps a lot, even with just the freeware version to extract files from developer/game specific archives. MultiEx Commander is, as far as I know, a more powerful tool for game modding/resource extraction, but there's no demo/free version available. They have a "mandatory donation" (seriously, what the fuck) of 10 Euros to download it.

Ryona sound files:

Aeon Flux - Aeon
Bloodrayne 2 - Rayne
Jade Empire
Oni
Mass Effect 2
Resident Evil 5
FAKK2: Heavy Metal - Julie
Street Fighter 4 - Cammy & Chun Li
SSFIV - Makoto (japanise voice)
SSFIV - Sakura (japanise voice)
SSFIV - Ibuki (japanise voice)
SSFIV - Juri (japanise voice)
SSFIV - Cammy (japanise voice)
SSFIV - Chun Li (japanise voice)
Borderlands - Lilith
Borderlands - Lilith (voicepack 2)
Ayane voice from Ninja Gaiden 2 and DOA4
SC4 - Taki (english + japanise voice)
SC4 - Sophitia (japanise voice)
SC4 - Cassandra (japanise voice)
SC4 - Cassandra (english voice)
SC4 - Seung Mina (english voice)
SC4 - Talim (english voice)
SC4 - Xianghua (english voice)
DOA4 - Lei Fang
DOA4 - Kokoro
DOA4 - Kasumi
DOA4 - Ayane

--------------------------------------------
Mediafire share folder:
Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire

d£t

nu
Ryonani Teamster
So I've received very little (read:absolutely no) feedback on this. Just curious about what people think of it. Does it seem like it's not really worth the effort or am I just doing a poor job describing it?

onlinehero

Casual Client
well i think it's a mission impossible that even tom cruise will fail. most of newer games and especially console games are so damn well protected that you might as well bonk your head into wall and you still won't get the audio files. idea is good though.

btw you know what would be cool? if everyone would make a small donation and you would buy lots of zen and giga vids and upload them here! :D

Last edited by a moderator:

d£t

nu
Ryonani Teamster
I don't think it's impossible, there are quite a few game modders out there with much more technical expertise than me and from what I know, Game Extractor and MEXC are constantly updated to support new games and file formats. I will admit that it's not always straight forward and you can end up wasting a lot of time doing things that don't work. Ripping sounds from Aeon Flux took a bit longer than BR2 because of the compression used on the audio files despite that they have nearly identical resource structures and POD resource packs. Converting it required an additional program and I needed to write a batch file to convert all the files because the program didn't support converting multiple files through it's GUI.

Some other games seem complicated but actually aren't. RE5 for example uses an odd file extension (SNGW I think?) for the audio but they're actually just OGG encoded and playable in most media player applications simply by renaming the file extension.

but on the off topic note about donations: I would have gladly kept ripping Zen videos for free but the problems for me were that they didn't seem very popular or at least there wasn't much demand for it, they're time consuming to download/rip/upload, and sit like stones on my drive. They take up A LOT of space. Considering how often the links get reported on other sites, the fact that our threads could be found out at anytime, and again the work required to rip them in the first place, I'm compelled to keep the videos even after I upload them. And quite honestly, I only enjoy maybe 1 out of 10 videos on Zen. :dizzy:

bryanthunder

Ryonani Teamster
I glanced over this thread once; and was rather intrigued by the idea... but, like the loser I am, I opted not to post.

A collection of voices would be great to have, for fan works and what-not.
I was gonna sort through and donate a chunk of sounds from Tales of Symphonia, and Tales of Vesperia as I have folders for most of the battle noises... the only reason I didn't was because I didn't rip them myself, and I don't want to steal someone else's hard work.
I also don't remember where I got them from; though a quick Google search could remedy that.

noice1

Potential Patron
I am personally not an audio/ryona voice person, so it's not my can of Dr. Pepper. I like it as a community project, but if the interest is low (just going off the thread, which I wouldn't say is completely definitive) then it might be a long walk off a short bridge. It's a cool idea, I know you, if anyone, could make it happen, but I personally can't contribute. I can't even make good suggestions for games, because I don't focus on audio.

Someone92

Vivacious Visitor
I remember we had a thread about smaller sound packs: ryona sound files
Maybe some of those files can be useful for this archive, too.

I remember that the game Giants: Citizen Kabuto had the audio files en clair, dunno if the sounds have good ryona potential.

Black Lion

Ryonani Teamster
I think it's a great idea personally, but I wouldn't be able to contribute unless I went on a search for other people's work. The real problem I think is that it would be difficult for people to create or find files for the archive. I don't have a clue on how to rip sounds, and I'm guessing most people don't either.

D

djgamer

Good audio/voice certainly makes ryona much better. However, it does seem difficult to gather an archive. I do know that jun2009r from youtube can take sounds from games and add them to his ryona videos though. His DOA4 videos especially have a lot of added voices, which make them my favorite. I have no idea how he was able to edit his videos though.

randomguy

Ryonani Teamster
the sounds would be good to add to my wrestling game videos(make them better maybe redo some) as for hosting how about a megaupload account. use 10 minute email or make a yahoo to sign up

d£t

nu
Ryonani Teamster
the sounds would be good to add to my wrestling game videos(make them better maybe redo some) as for hosting how about a megaupload account. use 10 minute email or make a yahoo to sign up

It's not the file hosting that's really the issue, it's somehow making it readily available for anyone who needs it and also easy for anyone who wishes to contribute to add more to it without downloading the entire thing, adding pieces, and uploading it again. I think the closest system I know of that I can compare it to is a CVS. If you're wondering why I don't use a CVS it's mostly because the technical side of this is putting some people off already and CVS isn't exactly the most user friendly thing I've come across to use. I'm also not really sure that it works well for projects of a large file size since it's normally used for managing source code.

If interest stays pretty low, I may just throw up what I have on a file sharing site and call it good there. The first 5 games cover a pretty good variety of female voices. Odd that I recalled in the past a good number of folk saying sound was a big part of ryona to them. I seem to be hearing more now that due to living arrangements, sound is a bad idea. :P

sparky

Ryonani Teamster
@Randomguy:

Unfortunately, I don't have the original sound pack with all the sounds anymore and I don't have any way of recording them. Sorry.

Gannes1414

Potential Patron
You know what's one thing you can do? For certain downloadable games, particularly MMORPGs, the voice files are saved as mp3s or oggs in separate folders. This is the case for older games--I remember I used to play Rappelz and Lineage along with a variety of other games like that and I think various death and hurt sounds were in separate folders. For downloadable games like "Silent Desire" they definitely are. I've downloaded a bunch of stuff over the years, maybe I can put those up sometime. But not for a while though, I'm busy.

d£t

nu
Ryonani Teamster
I've uploaded what I have done so far and added the link to the first post. Overall interest seems to be pretty low though, so unless it gets more attention in the future, I will probably leave this as is for now. Anyway, hope you enjoy!

oceansfiftynine

Potential Patron
Am I too late?! Haha... Actually the project sounds awesome. I just can't really contribute to it much.... I tried to build a personal storage archive of videos where I thought the sound was particularly good so that it could be ripped in future. But I didn't really follow up in it cos if I followed up on every ryona idea I had I would probably be unemployed, starving and kicked out of the house. :(

K

keeblerelf

All good MUGEN has to have good sound. Having a repository set aside is nice just in case some free time pops up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.