Recording games (1 Viewer)

Kargan3033

Club Regular
What programs do any of you use to record games?, I have OBS(Open Broadcast Studio) but I can't get the video to work but the sound records just fine so is there a better video capture/recording software out there that will record long game play videos?

Sausage&Eggs

Club Regular
OBS is good but took me time and attempt to setup working correctly.
Windows Plays.tv is easy but not many configuration option.
ShadowPlay is good alternative also.

Have you try obs to work before? obs quite good when working

Kargan3033

Club Regular
OBS is good but took me time and attempt to setup working correctly.
Windows Plays.tv is easy but not many configuration option.
ShadowPlay is good alternative also.

Have you try obs to work before? obs quite good when working

I have never had OBS working, sure the sound recording ok but all I had was a black screen for the video I went to the OBS help site and got no answer because they send me to the AMD sight and I was told that they no longer supported OBS on win 8.1

How did you configure your OBS to work?

Sausage&Eggs

Club Regular
I forget. I am not good to configure to be useful for instruction.

I try many method.
window mode - capture window
full screen - capture window
move target application up and down list

I also not get it to work on one game particular.... I forget the name... I think it was game fault maybe.

Kargan3033

Club Regular
I forget. I am not good to configure to be useful for instruction.

I try many method.
window mode - capture window
full screen - capture window
move target application up and down list

I also not get it to work on one game particular.... I forget the name... I think it was game fault maybe.

Ok then, thank though for replying, you mentioned ShadowPlay, could you give me a run down on how it works as well as an over all rating on how good the program is if you don't mind.

Sausage&Eggs

Club Regular
Its for nvideo cards. It is smooth and quick. Sometime some game I will have performance using obs and need to find setting. shadowplay sometime work better but not always. I use obs more so less familar but use as another solution when obs not

Kargan3033

Club Regular
Its for nvideo cards. It is smooth and quick. Sometime some game I will have performance using obs and need to find setting. shadowplay sometime work better but not always. I use obs more so less familar but use as another solution when obs not

Ah ok then, don't have that type of video card.

d£t

nu
Ryonani Teamster
OBS is your best bet for no cost. Look up some guides on how to get started with it. It's both a streaming and recording tool.

Just add a game capture object under your sources. Would highly recommend having a dual monitor setup if you plan to do any of this sort of stuff as it just makes life a lot easier.

If you don't have a fairly recent NVidia card that supports NVENC or higher end Intel processor that has a built-in GPU with QSV, you're going to have to rely purely on your CPU to encode the video on the fly which most machines can't handle on top of the resources needed to render a modern game.

If OBS is setup correctly and you're still getting a black screen, try using display or window capture instead of game.

Kargan3033

Club Regular
OBS is your best bet for no cost. Look up some guides on how to get started with it. It's both a streaming and recording tool.

Just add a game capture object under your sources. Would highly recommend having a dual monitor setup if you plan to do any of this sort of stuff as it just makes life a lot easier.

If you don't have a fairly recent NVidia card that supports NVENC or higher end Intel processor that has a built-in GPU with QSV, you're going to have to rely purely on your CPU to encode the video on the fly which most machines can't handle on top of the resources needed to render a modern game.

If OBS is setup correctly and you're still getting a black screen, try using display or window capture instead of game.

I don't have a nivida card and I checked out their help sites and they were not helpful I told the techs on the sites that I was running an AMD card and win 8.1 and got told they no longer offer any support for win 8.1 users, I don't have a dual monitor how do I set a display/window capture.

If you know how get this working let me know and thank you in advance for your help.

aaravkumar

Vivacious Visitor
If you have an Nvidia card ShadowPlay is actually one of the best options out there despite its wonky interface. It has the least strain on your system and its compression algorithm is surprisingly good in minimizing losses. You just need a separate program to edit the videos it recorded.

Kargan3033

Club Regular
If you have an Nvidia card ShadowPlay is actually one of the best options out there despite its wonky interface. It has the least strain on your system and its compression algorithm is surprisingly good in minimizing losses. You just need a separate program to edit the videos it recorded.

Don't have a Nvidia, I have an AMD Raidon(SP) card and win 8.1

Sausage&Eggs

Club Regular
Do you computer support window 10? I have so many problem on 8 I change back to 7 for many years more. Then change direct to window 10. I still prefer 7 usage in many way but 10 is better than 8. I think many part should be able handle win 10 now.

If you don't mind idea maybe try. back up some important stuff always. roll back if no good. maybe this link helpful
Here's how you can still get a free Windows 10 upgrade | ZDNet

Kargan3033

Club Regular
Do you computer support window 10? I have so many problem on 8 I change back to 7 for many years more. Then change direct to window 10. I still prefer 7 usage in many way but 10 is better than 8. I think many part should be able handle win 10 now.

If you don't mind idea maybe try. back up some important stuff always. roll back if no good. maybe this link helpful
Here's how you can still get a free Windows 10 upgrade | ZDNet

Thanks but I don't have the HDD space or cpu power to run win 10, using a cheap HP computer after my old custom rig brought the farm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.