Loading with the Loader (1 Viewer)

jase

Vivacious Visitor
I'm running on Win 7 and what appears to be the v5.36 Prodigy edition of the Loader. But it doesn't appear to load anything; .swf's that should run automatically don't, and neither does anything I load manually.

On the Loader tab is an empty box that I assume should contain some kind of list, and when I click on 'Debug', I can see all the .swf's that loaded immediately unloaded on start-up, and more unloaded as soon as I loaded them.

Did I get the 'UnLoader' version by accident? I got it from ModGuy's link.

EDIT: Btw, also running on the standalone Flash Player.

sby

Content Creator
Coder
check out revised loader guide: http://www.sdtmods.com/index.php?topic=3601

also, the debug view stuff is just showing when mods have started loading and finished loading. the 'unload' statements are not really meaning the mods are unactivated, more as done loading.

blame modguy for his initial naming conventions xD

ModGuy

Content Creator
Yeah, there's AS3 methods to properly unload data but I never bothered.
I assume that if you're running a low memory system then everything would probably run horribly anyway.

jase

Vivacious Visitor
I figured the majority of the problem was running mods that didn't care for compatibility, so most of it wasn't loading reliably, even when I used the modders "homebrew" installation. Actually there's a few 'imports' that don't run out of the box, and require tinkering under the hood and manually searching for multiple files that the loader can't find.

EDIT: See, something like this is why your loader guide is inadequate:
http://www.sdtmods.com/index.php?topic=1639.0

When I saw it, I knew every one of you must be running Linux boxes: "Here's the installation you're looking for, and everything you need to pre-install. You know where it goes, so do it yourself."

Ok, if I dload a bg, where does it go? Where do swf's go? Where does the text go? Where do all of these go if they should run together? Are none of these pre-packaged, or am I just looking through the laziest threads?

ModGuy

Content Creator
jase said:
I figured the majority of the problem was running mods that didn't care for compatibility, so most of it wasn't loading reliably, even when I used the modders "homebrew" installation.
Actually there's a few 'imports' that don't run out of the box, and require tinkering under the hood and manually searching for multiple files that the loader can't find.
EDIT: See, something like this is why your loader guide is inadequate
When I saw it, I knew every one of you must be running Linux boxes: "Here's the installation you're looking for, and everything you need to pre-install. You know where it goes, so do it yourself."
Ok, if I dload a bg, where does it go? Where do swf's go? Where does the text go? Where do all of these go if they should run together? Are none of these pre-packaged, or am I just looking through the laziest threads?

um um um um

Okay, let's start from the start.
Loader saving is well described in the included text guides, the loader is designed for set content as listed and EVERYTHING beyond this is a special case.
So when you see that Dialogue.txt loads in a character folder it is safe to assume that this is where you should put it, as for modded dialogues including them in the guide wouldn't help.
You should really ask the author of such files to describe the installation themselves, this isn't a core feature of the loader so much as it is an extension and as such my included guides won't cover them.

What about Backgrounds and SWFs? Okay, BG.png, Char.swf, Mod.swf and Mods.txt are described in the included text guide. Running mods together is a balancing act, expect weird behaviour.

Finally, Linux. I like linux for a few set things like the terminal but really I prefer Windows for innumerable reasons.
Not a lot of work is required to understand the loader (observe the included example mods) but I can see why loader mods are giving you issues.
Really your problem isn't with the loader or setup, but with getting user written content to play nice, that's something the authors will have to weigh in on.

sby

Content Creator
Coder
jase said:
my mods are probably the most complicated, but not sure if directly indicating my stuff. but if you have any specific issues with how things are done or notes about what could be better (documentation or implementation wise), throw some stuff in this thread:http://www.sdtmods.com/index.php?topic=5429.0

blanket statements like 'they need to be better/more-compatible/user-friendly' do not help

i also doubt more than 25% of us are using unix systems

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.