Lighting Effects (1 Viewer)

AssassinAzn

Avid Affiliate
EDIT:
Completed by @ModGuy

Importing various custom elements into SDT makes SDT have an inherent conflicting aesthetic.
One thing that really stands out for me is the lighting condition in the background against the models.

For example, a dark forest night scene with no visible light source, but the models are highly saturated and bright.

It would be extremely time consuming and inefficient to tweak every imported model to match the custom background its in.

So I propose adding a mod that globally effects the overall scene and unifies the lighting by adding a subtle spotlight and /or placing an colored transparent opacity tint layer on everything.

To see what I mean,
This flash has a lighting effect filter in the option menu. Go through the dialogue click on the heart in the bottom right corner then click on the sun. It simulates different lighting conditions creating a atmospheric mood and would in my opinion increase the enjoyment of SDT's immersion.
http://www.mittsies.pensandtales.com/mitt_tumblr/MIAKA.html

Attachments

MIAKA.swf
4.2 MB · Views: 221

Last edited by a moderator:

stuntcock

Content Creator
So I propose adding a mod that globally effects the overall scene and unifies the lighting by adding a subtle spotlight and /or placing an colored transparent opacity tint layer on everything.
Wouldn't it be easier to just choose bright and saturated background images? :P

Seriously, though - good idea, well reasoned. And the inclusion of a working sample is very appreciated, because it gives us a common point-of-reference for any WIP attempts.

The proposed semi-opaque filter on top of the entire scene probably isn't appropriate, because it would also tint the background (which doesn't seem to be the goal). I think that we're trying to re-tint the vector sprites exclusively, so that they'll match a chosen background image more closely. But there are similar techniques which could be applied to specific layers within the scene (or elements -- such as g.her) to achieve the specified visual effect.

I'd suggest posting a few specific examples of background images (such as the forest scene that you mentioned), each one accompanied by a screenshot of SDT gameplay, and then add a simple photomanipulated version of the screenshot to show the transformation that you'd hope to achieve with this mod (along with comments about any errors in your manipulated version). This would help to answer some questions about scope and limits, such as:
  • if we're darkening the scene, then do we darken the girl's eyes as well or try to retain their original brightness?
  • would saliva and semen strands also be manipulated, or would they be left as-is?
  • would the effect be based on global HSL manipulation, or would we give users the ability to adjust the RGB channels individually?
  • if we're actually dropping a spotlight onto the screen, then how does it work with mods (such as animtools) which can adjust the camera to place the characters off-center? Would the player have the ability to move/resize the spotlight as well?

AssassinAzn

Avid Affiliate
Applying a wide scale filter may have the unintended effect of tinting the background (but it may be beneficial since many backgrounds seem to be pixelated and low resolution and the tint might obscure the background drawing more attention to the figures)
Here are some screenshots of some mockups:

Original: default setup custom BG
Dark%20Forest%20Original_zpsvvsxav2j.png

Color Corrected Models
Dark%20Forest%20Model%20Edit_zpsxwslmjbi.png

Dark (Black) Tint Overlay
Dark%20Forest%20Tinted_zpshitpi17e.png

Color Tinted using color picked from source BG
Dark%20Forest%20Color%20Tinted_zps9srpgbbq.png

Variation using Original Models but both Tint Overlays
Dark%20Forest%20Color%20No%20Model%20Edit%20Tinted%20Added%20Light_zpsblgnd002.png

Previous Added Effects and subtle spotlight
Dark%20Forest%20Color%20Tinted%20Added%20Light_zpsn90rselb.png

It might be difficult to catch the subtle differences between the variations so here is a gif to better show the transition:

EPqVDs_zpsgckzkejn.gif

For the effect I described in the thread topic, the 3rd one from the top is probably the best result; since the later effects make the models too drastically different i.e darker. The female looks very tanned like (ganguro/gyaru). However, I think the lighting effects of the last few images are a step in the right direction and may improve the look of some backgrounds.

Regarding the bullet points you brought up:
  • Perhaps if the mod is constructed; there would be an option to toggle certain areas/elements on and off. For example, if a person wanted to keep the specific eye color of a character the same.
  • I think saliva would be left as is. If the mod were to be created, then perhaps an option to affect fluids as well to give an effect like the background causing reflections in the liquid? (Though that doesn't seem like high priority)
  • I would lean more toward a global manipulation and perhaps tweaking and revising the mod to give people more control later on.
  • Ideally, it would be both. Being able to select a preset that best fits the current SDT setup and fine-tuning it to meet desired outcome.The most recent versions of Adobe Photoshop has 3D lighting effects that attempt to automatically determine lighting situation from preset settings, but allows user manipulation. Link: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/add-lighting-effects1.html . If you possess PS, I suggest you play around with it to see what I mean.
Thank for reading and responding to this giant wall of text.

AssassinAzn

Avid Affiliate
Here some more examples screenshots:

Original: default setup custom BG
Bridge%20Original_zpsncdib0ea.png

Black Tint Overlay
Bridge%20Black%20Tint_zpsxyr4pszp.png

(Blue) Color Tint Overlay
Bridge%20Color%20Tint_zpsfgpn0kgq.png

Both Tints Combines
Bridge%20Both%20Tints_zpsjujbhxef.png

Tints and an Added Spotlight
Bridge%20Both%20Tints%20Spotlight_zpsdlf8zek6.png

Another Gif
8ofbRd_zpsxyyszb9p.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.