Legacy Requesting Rules (Updated 9th December) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mak

Content Creator
titus_andronicus said:
Quick question, you say we aren't allowed to request real people while talking about celebrities (or at least not by name), but are there any rules about requesting people we know in real life who aren't celebrities?

I would just suggest making sure you only post pics from the neck up for your references and black out the face in paint or something. You don't necessarily need a name, make one up.

anonymous

Avid Affiliate
titus_andronicus said:
Quick question, you say we aren't allowed to request real people while talking about celebrities (or at least not by name), but are there any rules about requesting people we know in real life who aren't celebrities?
Well... uh... if you can blur out the face sure, I'd like to think since this is someone you know and not someone everyone knows you don't need to actually say their name or show their face, so a good ref and blurred out face should do it

Maineim

Content Creator
I have a question:

How do I inform that the request have been filled? I tried sending a PM to Anon.

¿I have to report the post or ask the person who did the request to change the icon of the post?

Chance

Content Creator
You don't have to report anything, Anon does it on His own.
He's away right now.

Rincewiend

Vivacious Visitor
Re: Requesting rules (Updated 2/28/11)

Abom713 said:
Anonymous said:
No, what I'm saying is don't upload attachments for reference shots. It wastes server space for temporary storage. EMBEDDED IMAGES need to be resized with the embed code. It's not that difficult.

Read the whole post before jumping to conclusions

I did read it. It say attachments. So basically you're saying, don't post multiple reference shots as attachments. Post them as embed shots from other sites and make them 300x300.
The thumbnail that links to the full size picture shouldn't be bigger than 300x300...

Anonymous said:
Characters are fine, just don't request the actual actress.
How about alter-egos?!?
Like Mariah Careys Mimi alter-ego...

anonymous

Avid Affiliate
Rincewiend said:
Abom713 said:
Anonymous said:
No, what I'm saying is don't upload attachments for reference shots. It wastes server space for temporary storage. EMBEDDED IMAGES need to be resized with the embed code. It's not that difficult.

Read the whole post before jumping to conclusions

I did read it. It say attachments. So basically you're saying, don't post multiple reference shots as attachments. Post them as embed shots from other sites and make them 300x300.
The thumbnail that links to the full size picture shouldn't be bigger than 300x300...

Anonymous said:
Characters are fine, just don't request the actual actress.
How about alter-egos?!?
Like Mariah Careys Mimi alter-ego...
This is old, the system now resizes images automagically.

Also, yes... alter ego is fine.

stuntcock

Content Creator
Hi folks. The Admin team is currently preparing an official set of rules for the website. I'd like to take this opportunity to roll out some specific stuff for the Request board.

Feedback is welcome. These rules are not final; feel free to criticize them without fear of retribution. I tend to write too much, so please point out any clauses which are tedious or redundant. If you'd like to suggest additional rules then go ahead.

I've deliberately opened up the definition of a Request to include costumes and accessories. This was previously a bit of a grey area, but it fits the purpose and activity of this board pretty closely so I'm going to allow it. I haven't included dialogue requests, because I'm worried that the board would be flooded with half-baked ideas.

Anonymous divided his post into "Rules" and "Guidelines", because you could actually lose Karma for breaking the Rules. We no longer have a Karma system, and the fate of bad threads is simply exile, so I've merged the Rules and Guidelines together into a big mishmash. The goal here is to help people make good threads (or at least: help them avoid the most common ways of screwing up).

Please continue to abide by the existing rules until the new rules are officially adopted. They're pretty similar, anyways.

Huitznahua

Content Creator
This is already pretty detailed for a draft. Good job :wink:

One question :
Unless you have a very good reason for using the attachment system, I'll just move your references to offsite hosting.
What kind of reason could there be ?

One comment :
Maybe emphasized that if the request's conditions aren't fulfilled (non explicit request, bad references, ...) there may be little chance that the request be completed one day or even someone interested in it.
I would even say that personally I don't care about the shitty requests. Peoples who "do request" would be the only ones to be bothered that their request be totally ignored. So it is also in their interest to respect the rules.

VincentL

Vivacious Visitor
In my opinion - clear, logical, and fairly detailed while being easy to understand. Very nice.

The only thing I think is a tiny bit strict are the rules regarding reference images - taking my own recent request as an example, particularly when requesting more of a "generic" clothing mod rather than a specific character, it's usually near-impossible to find a picture that's a living incarnation of the mod I'd like in SDT. In such cases, is it not good enough to provide several decent, but not perfect (i.e. decorative patterns that can be ignored by the artists and such) references + detailed explanation of the request ("text is okay")?

I'm guessing the rules are mostly aimed at requests of specific characters and their unique clothing, but wanted to ask it in general - unfortunately, it tends to be a bit harder to find good references of "normal" clothing than of anime characters.

stuntcock

Content Creator
is it not good enough to provide several decent, but not perfect (i.e. decorative patterns that can be ignored by the artists and such) references + detailed explanation of the request ("text is okay")?
As far as the rules are concerned, it's fine. I'm not going to get upset or delete your thread or anything. You just need to accept the risk that your request will be delayed or ignored (and you've shown a lot of patience whenever I've participated in your threads, so no worries there).

it tends to be a bit harder to find good references of "normal" clothing than of anime characters.
That's true. But there's a compromise option: find pictures of anime characters wearing normal clothing.

The workflow that you're suggesting is essentially:
  • VincentL posts a photograph
  • modder fits the photograph onto the SDT template
    • as mentioned in the g-string thread, there may be tradeoffs here between technical feasibility and visual fidelity. The SDT girl doesn't actually have a pelvis, so anything between her thighs just gets cropped out due to laziness.
  • modder converts the reference photograph into a vectorized anime-style drawing
    • for someone like me, this is a difficult and stressful task. Working from a photographic reference feels like drawing on a blank canvas.
    • the body proportions of the SDT girl differ from those of the underwear model (especially the prominence of hipbones), and the lighting+shading details of the photograph are usually inappropriate for the SDT scene.
    • lots of stuff has to be drawn from scratch and then you delete it and start over and hate yourself because it looks like crap
  • VincentL gives feedback on the mod
  • iterate until everybody is happy

My counter-proposal is:
  • VincentL searches imageboards for pictures of anime characters wearing the desired clothing
    • for underpants in particular, this is a tedious and unrewarding task. They simply don't look good in side view, so artists will almost always draw them front/back/oblique.
      • this falls under the "Prepare yourself" heading above. If anyone is going to waste an hour of their life staring at anime girls in their underpants and trying to find side-views, then it should be you (the requester) rather than the modder or artist.
    • the anime reference images won't exactly fit your expectations, but they will hopefully allow you to establish some basic parameters (e.g. relative thickness of the waistband, shinyness, low-rider vs highleg layout, opacity or sheerness, etc).
      • example: this image shows good shading and color details, but the waistband rides so low that it would introduce technical challenges during implementation (it would require special rigging)
      • example: this image gives a usable highleg fitting shape, but the lace is extremely intricate and would require hours to trace
      • example: this image shows an in-between fitting, but it gives little guidance on color/shading because it's heavily stylized
    • as mentioned in the rules, you can still include your photographs in the request thread as supplementary references
  • modder converts the reference image(s) into a vectorized anime-style drawing
    • this task is made considerably easier (for non-artistic modders like me) by the anime reference images gathered in the previous step. If I'm feeling extremely lazy and uncreative then I can simply trace the reference image.
    • if the task is being handled by an artistically-skilled modder, then they can blend in many elements from the photographic references
  • modder stretches the vectors to fit the SDT body
  • VincentL gives feedback on the mod
  • iterate until everybody is happy

VincentL

Vivacious Visitor
Okay, that explains it for me - thanks. (Btw, I'm not angry over my request or anything :P just thought it would be a good example, as I had requested "regular" clothing before and usually encountered the same issue of "google seems to hate me".)

Generally I think this is clear as it is, although in fact it wouldn't be a bad idea to include some of the above into the rules/guidelines (e.g. that photographs require more work due to different body proportions).

stuntcock

Content Creator
What kind of reason could there be [for attaching images instead of hosting them offsite]?
Extreme edge cases. Let's imagine that someone is living in a country with heavy internet censorship. He can reach Undertow via an unstable VPN-MeshNet-Tor link, but his setup can't connect to Imgur. In that case, I'd allow the guy to attach his reference images (although I'd probably just step in afterwards and rehost them anyways).

One comment :
Maybe emphasized that if the request's conditions aren't fulfilled (non explicit request, bad references, ...) there may be little chance that the request be completed one day or even someone interested in it.
That's fair; I'll try to emphasize that point.
I would even say that personally I don't care about the shitty requests. Peoples who "do request" would be the only ones to be bothered that their request be totally ignored. So it is also in their interest to respect the rules.
This is true, but there are two reasons why we might take a broader view:

1. The admin team cares, because each new thread increases the monthly bill for data storage. They don't mind paying the bills for active threads which create content and fulfill the goals of the forum (i.e. free and uncensored exploration of human sexuality in digital media), but nobody wants to pay hosting bills for hundreds of lazy zero-content posts.

2. Self-destructive behaviour hurts the community. I've just finished combing through almost a thousand old Request threads. I witnessed many cases in which people posted bad threads (often due to laziness; sometimes due to ignorance), saw no progress, and became embittered. They would carry this bitterness forward into their interactions with other forum members, especially newcomers. Sometimes they would lash out at perceived favoritism (when they saw other threads receiving attention); occasionally they would harass artists. Often they would simply stir up drama or be deliberately disruptive. Moderators who had to deal with these jerks sometimes grew to resent the userbase at large.

stuntcock

Content Creator
Generally I think this is clear as it is, although in fact it wouldn't be a bad idea to include some of the above into the rules/guidelines (e.g. that photographs require more work due to different body proportions).
Hmmm... the photographic clothing stuff is quite rare, although we get photographic references for hairstyles reasonably often.

I really don't want to lengthen the rules post, though. I'm worried that it's already far too long for a first-time reader. You guys haven't complained, but that may be simply because you've been using the forum for ages and you're accustomed to its policies. Most of this material may not actually be new to you.

I need to create a separate "resource" thread anyways, to include stuff like the PNG vs SWF vs dynamicSWF hairstyle comparison (which will be a hopefully be a video). So I'll edit our conversation into a general explanation of the topic, post this explanation on the resource thread, and then just include a hyperlink among the rules. Thus:

Huitznahua

Content Creator
Extreme edge cases. Let's imagine that someone is living in a country with heavy internet censorship. He can reach Undertow via an unstable VPN-MeshNet-Tor link, but his setup can't connect to Imgur. In that case, I'd allow the guy to attach his reference images (although I'd probably just step in afterwards and rehost them anyways).
Ok, I often use a VPN myself and I confirm that this problem is entirely credible.

This is true, but there are two reasons why we might take a broader view:

1. The admin team cares, because each new thread increases the monthly bill for data storage. They don't mind paying the bills for active threads which create content and fulfill the goals of the forum (i.e. free and uncensored exploration of human sexuality in digital media), but nobody wants to pay hosting bills for hundreds of lazy zero-content posts.

2. Self-destructive behaviour hurts the community. I've just finished combing through almost a thousand old Request threads. I witnessed many cases in which people posted bad threads (often due to laziness; sometimes due to ignorance), saw no progress, and became embittered. They would carry this bitterness forward into their interactions with other forum members, especially newcomers. Sometimes they would lash out at perceived favoritism (when they saw other threads receiving attention); occasionally they would harass artists. Often they would simply stir up drama or be deliberately disruptive. Moderators who had to deal with these jerks sometimes grew to resent the userbase at large.
I am well aware of these reasons, which are perfectly legitimate. I just think that some users will be much more attentive to the kinds of arguments that I mentioned previously (but this is probably due to my self-centered personality :tongue:)

I really don't want to lengthen the rules post, though. I'm worried that it's already far too long for a first-time reader. You guys haven't complained, but that may be simply because you've been using the forum for ages and you're accustomed to its policies. Most of this material may not actually be new to you.
That's right, the rules are already quite long. But as you said about the requests for the costumes: there were gray areas in the preceding rules. So, it does not surprise me that the text is longer.

One possibility would be to organize the text into sections and sub sections with titles give details so that we can "fly over" the text. But I do not know :confused:

This a little off topic, but by the way :
They don't mind paying the bills for active threads which create content and fulfill the goals of the forum (i.e. free and uncensored exploration of human sexuality in digital media), but nobody wants to pay hosting bills for hundreds of lazy zero-content posts.
Without banner I wondered what was the "economic model" of the server .Is there any plans to add pubs or admins will continue to pay out of their pocket ? In which case it's extremely generous of them.

Last edited:

0nymous

Potential Patron
It's been nearly four years, are these rules considered out-dated? Most specifically this:
7 )Do not post a request for features.
This board is for hair imports. If you want to request features go to the future features page on Konashion's blog or go to the Suggestions page on the discussion board.
Neither of those exist anymore. Well, I guess Kona's blog does exist, but it's basically dead since a long time ago.

stuntcock

Content Creator
It's been nearly four years, are these rules considered out-dated? Most specifically this:
You're correct; these rules are outdated. A new set of draft rules have been posted for community review and discussion.

Your specific question is answered there:

What a Request is NOT
  • An appeal for new features. "Hey guys I'd like to be able to squeeze the girl's boobs by double-clicking on them." Post on the Loader Request board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.