I wanna make my own mods and share them on this site. (1 Viewer)

Lylethebluejay

Potential Patron
I just started playing the game with mods and it's a lot of fun, but I think it could be better.
Anyone know of where I should start looking for tips on making and sharing mods?

stuntcock

Content Creator
Welcome to Undertow, Lylethebluejay Lylethebluejay . It's nice to see someone eager to get involved :)

I just started playing the game with mods and it's a lot of fun, but I think it could be better.
Anyone know of where I should start looking for tips on making and sharing mods?
Here's a post which offers a few quick answers and hyperlinks.

We can offer much more specific advice (and suggestions, assistance, collaboration, etc) if you tell us more about what you want to do. For example: I can't help much if you want to draw hairstyles for your favorite characters, but if you already know how to draw then I can animate them for you (or teach you to animate them). SyntaxTerror SyntaxTerror might be able to share some tips on drawing things in the SDT art style. sby sby has created code mods which tinker heavily with game mechanics, while @Pim_gd's work has expanded the game's ability to tell complex and reactive stories.

There are resources related to coding, costumes, dialogues, etc. Let me know which topic you'd like to focus on, and I'll point you in the right direction.

Lylethebluejay

Potential Patron
Welcome to Undertow, Lylethebluejay Lylethebluejay . It's nice to see someone eager to get involved :)

Here's a post which offers a few quick answers and hyperlinks.

We can offer much more specific advice (and suggestions, assistance, collaboration, etc) if you tell us more about what you want to do. For example: I can't help much if you want to draw hairstyles for your favorite characters, but if you already know how to draw then I can animate them for you (or teach you to animate them). SyntaxTerror SyntaxTerror might be able to share some tips on drawing things in the SDT art style. sby sby has created code mods which tinker heavily with game mechanics, while @Pim_gd's work has expanded the game's ability to tell complex and reactive stories.

There are resources related to coding, costumes, dialogues, etc. Let me know which topic you'd like to focus on, and I'll point you in the right direction.

Thanks a lot of the links. When I get home from work I'll go through them and write stuff down on what I need to do and what I need to learn. I'm mostly interested in making mods for characters and such that aren't done at all or as much, specifically non human characters male and female.

Digimon
Pokemon
Other rule 34 characters from popular games and such.

Are there any rules I need to follow so I don't get in trouble early on? :P

stuntcock

Content Creator
I'm mostly interested in making mods for characters and such that aren't done at all or as much, specifically non human characters male and female.
"Mods" is slightly ambiguous. It sounds like you'll be drawing hairstyles and sharing charCodes (character-configuration strings generated by in-game customization). But those are not the only aspects of a character; you might also like to try drawing custom clothing, or writing dialogues. You could also try to rig up some fancy new sexual positions for your characters to use.

Are there any rules I need to follow so I don't get in trouble early on? :P
You might decide to start by editing someone else's work instead of drawing on a blank template/canvas. If you do so, please remember to ask permission from the original artist before sharing your work (and then credit them in the finished product). There are a few artists (e.g. Dante) who have explicitly shared their source files and granted advance permission for derivative works. Most artists release their work in a ready-to-use format (such as PNG or SWF), which can be tricky to dissect or edit. If you'd like to modify one of those files, then contact the artist -- most will happily share their work with a novice in order to help them learn, so long as you ask politely.

You won't get punished (e.g. banned from the website) if you forget to credit an artist. We'll happily overlook a few newbie errors. It's just that if you do it persistently then artists may dislike you, which limits your ability to collaborate with them or seek their assistance on difficult projects.

If you're drawing your own stuff from scratch then there are few rules or restrictions to worry about. Just the general website rules and forum etiquette such as "don't start flamewars" and "don't resurrect an ancient thread unless you're adding something really important." If you'd like to share your work via a forum thread (e.g. file attachments, download links, spoiler tags) then that's fine. If you'd like to publish your work via the Resource Manager then I can walk you through the process.

Lylethebluejay

Potential Patron
"Mods" is slightly ambiguous. It sounds like you'll be drawing hairstyles and sharing charCodes (character-configuration strings generated by in-game customization). But those are not the only aspects of a character; you might also like to try drawing custom clothing, or writing dialogues. You could also try to rig up some fancy new sexual positions for your characters to use.

You might decide to start by editing someone else's work instead of drawing on a blank template/canvas. If you do so, please remember to ask permission from the original artist before sharing your work (and then credit them in the finished product). There are a few artists (e.g. Dante) who have explicitly shared their source files and granted advance permission for derivative works. Most artists release their work in a ready-to-use format (such as PNG or SWF), which can be tricky to dissect or edit. If you'd like to modify one of those files, then contact the artist -- most will happily share their work with a novice in order to help them learn, so long as you ask politely.

You won't get punished (e.g. banned from the website) if you forget to credit an artist. We'll happily overlook a few newbie errors. It's just that if you do it persistently then artists may dislike you, which limits your ability to collaborate with them or seek their assistance on difficult projects.

If you're drawing your own stuff from scratch then there are few rules or restrictions to worry about. Just the general website rules and forum etiquette such as "don't start flamewars" and "don't resurrect an ancient thread unless you're adding something really important." If you'd like to share your work via a forum thread (e.g. file attachments, download links, spoiler tags) then that's fine. If you'd like to publish your work via the Resource Manager then I can walk you through the process.

Sweet.

As for positions maybe one for the guy. Replacing his legs with a stool and having a shorter character like Augumon or someone only a few feet tall standing on it. I may toy with if he's thrusting then having the stool rock back and forth... that may be tricky though. I'll write my ideas down tonight and test some actions in my free time.

SyntaxTerror

Content Creator
SyntaxTerror SyntaxTerror might be able to share some tips on drawing things in the SDT art style.
Hello and welcome Lylethebluejay Lylethebluejay .

I can help you if you have questions about static hair mods (PNG) and SVG (vector) drawing with Inkscape (to make neat PNG mods).
I also draw with Animate CC (ex Flash CC) to make SWF costume and hair mods, but I am only a begginer at this, so I cannot give you good advices on this point.

I made a tutorial to make static hair mods, but it is half finished, so it shows only how to make low quality PNG mods (but if a very good reference in high resolution is available). I may finish it in the future, but you can read Gingerless Soul's PNG hair mod tutorial, that is the one I used to begin drawing SDT mods.

Two importants things also:
  • I make mods for Vanilla only, I never use the Loader and know nothing about it.
  • I read above that you are interested in Digimon and Pokemon. Note that I do not make mods based on "loli" or underaged girls, and I do not want to have any buisness with people interested in this (I just ignore them on this forum).

If you have questions about PNG/SVG drawing, do not be afraid to send me a private message (I do not follow well my alerts here).
Good luck.

sby

Content Creator
Coder
I never use the Loader and know nothing about it
SAY WHAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

download my loaderpack and start hitting buttons mentioned in the text doc it has. i would say just glance at screenshots in my loader imports thread, but the image site i had them on removed them and i haven't bothered putting them back up xD

SyntaxTerror

Content Creator
download my loaderpack and start hitting buttons mentioned in the text doc it has.
SAY WHAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

Reading is so outdated...
Anyway, as I already said, I don't use often SDT and I fap only a dozen times a day, so I don't feel the need to use the Loader! :tongue:
Also, as more and more artists/modders seem to make mods that are Loader-specific, this forum still need people making Vanilla mods for Vanilla users (and it is not only noobs, I believe that @Nigida, for exemple, does not use the Loader).
Sorry to not use the SDT version that some spent hours to devellop and has certainly nice improvements compared to Vanilla, but I am here mostly to make PNG hair mods and backgrounds, and I am too lazy to learn to use the Loader (I know that the last reason is not an excuse and is more likely to deserve a good slap in the face!).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.