Age of Barbarian (1 Viewer)

davehammer

Potential Patron
With the latest 1.02 patch the game is a lot more manageable, you will always start a level with 2 lives and it is possible to easily farm more at the forest level and exit the level then immediately jump back to your current mission, hence you will have 4 lives.

Has anyone experience a glitch in the forest level after the part where you kick off a wooden block to lower a bridge and enter a building, my screen just turn black but I can still hear the game running in the background. I'm using a Radeon 6850 btw

Footguy

Potential Patron
Good timing with the new patch. I was just about to come in here to vent actually.

I was in level 3-2 in the mountains and I was doing so well. I was doing one shots on those monkeys and was well underway. In the end I died by failing a running jump and fell into the abyss. Well I should go and download the new patch.

Edit: WHAT!?!?!?! 4 HOURS TO DOWNLOAD THE NEW PATCH!?!??!

davehammer

Potential Patron
I'm at the Wyvern Den, I actually find this level quite easy so far because of the lack of pits and death traps but I got glitched again, the screen just became "stuck" during area transit and I was forced to restart =.=

The deaths I've seen so far are getting head, arm or legs chopped off, head exploding from bludgeoning weapons, impaled by spikes and eaten by crocodile.
The tentacle is really just another endless pit fall death...

davehammer

Potential Patron
This has nothing to do with ryona but I can't seem to find any discussion boards anywhere else talking about this game.
Has anyone managed to beat the game yet?
I'm stuck on Necron's Fortress, been to all possible places and even that ring behind the red skull door but have no idea what it does. One end leads to an un-jump-able ledge and the other leads to that crushing block death trap.
anyone knows?

Footguy

Potential Patron
This has nothing to do with ryona but I can't seem to find any discussion boards anywhere else talking about this game.
Has anyone managed to beat the game yet?
I'm stuck on Necron's Fortress, been to all possible places and even that ring behind the red skull door but have no idea what it does. One end leads to an un-jump-able ledge and the other leads to that crushing block death trap.
anyone knows?

I'm stuck at the exact same place. Did you fall for the trap where there is a checkpoint of skulls and you go left. At the end of the next screen there is an open door. Upon going in the door the door shuts and you are trapped and the room closes in and squishes you?

I don't know how to open the red skull door at all, can you tell me please?

I am also stuck at the exact same place as you are.

davehammer

Potential Patron
you'll need to rescue the maiden in swamps to open red skull doors
if you saved the ones in forest and mountains, you'll be able to open yellow and blue skull doors in wyvern's lair which leads to a secret boss fight with a witch but I dunno what that accomplished?

Footguy

Potential Patron
I still haven't been able to work out where to go. Like davehammer said, one end leads to an un-jump-able edge and the other leads to a crushing block death trap. Anybody figure out where to go? I seem to have found a door that is locked but I don't know where to go to open it.

davehammer

Potential Patron
I've haven't made any progress neither... well to be honest I haven't been playing in the last couple of weeks but if someone knows how to get through the last level, it would be nice to know =)

Last edited by a moderator:
A

asdfghhjkl

ok, so I've finally beaten the game it's fun it really is
got 90% completion so I guess I'll play some more gotta try the highest difficulty
Ima also thinking of making a walkthroguh

davehammer

Potential Patron
how do you get around the final level?

what does that magic ring do?

I've actually tried cranking the difficulty to max, I think the core mechanics are the same, heath point deduct by how much pow level minus your def level, the only difference I notice was the chance you can get insta-killed by enemy power strikes

A

asdfghhjkl

@davehammer
where are you stuck on the final level?

the goddess' ring lets you take half damage from magic attacks (useful for battling necron)

oh and how did you guys go around wyverns den, how did you reach the locked gate at the top right side of the stage to progress further?
(I had to sacrifice sheyna so she would resurrect at the top; start of stage)

davehammer

Potential Patron
i'm stuck at the part where one path leads to that crushing ceiling trap with the health potion and the other leads to this outside area with a leaver on the far side but an unjumpable gap in between.

btw, at the wyvern's den there are some stone blocks you can use to jump back up to the bridge

A

asdfghhjkl

I see, I'll look for those, thanx buddy

on final level, go to the room with the crushing ceiling, forget the large health potion,
just immediately head right and smash the wall with a high and a low strike and then go through to continue the level,
you'll jump over some gaps and arrive at the other side of the unjumpable gap to climb the ledge and flick the switch

davehammer

Potential Patron
thx for tip man, was not expecting a secret there...Necron was a walk in the park afterwards

Having beat the game with 86% completion rate, here is my mini-review of sort.
I gotta say I was a bit let down. The god-aweful controls and some of the jumping sequences were a nightmare. The game started out too difficult but got really easy towards the end once you reach lvl 15-20, most enemies will only do 1 point of damage per hit with the instagib power strikes and bosses being exceptions... but lets be honest here, I doubt anyone who played this game played it for polished balanced gameplay or production value... we were hoping for raunchy contents, violence and nudity... the first time decapitating an enemy and have his head flying towards the screen was pretty cool but the same head chop, arm chop or leg chop got old pretty quick, especially at the rate they occur. Likewise with the ways the main characters can die, head off, arm off, legs off, impaled, petrified, eaten by crocodile, squished by ceiling trap (doesn't even show the whole process) and of course the good old endless pit... I don't mind a difficult game that have you die over and over but at least do it with more style and in more varieties... pls correct me if I'm wrong, I know I haven't got 100%

As for the nudity, it just felt tacked on for the hell of it, all in the cut scenes, you just get one shot of Sheyna's butt at the start, some random woman's nipples and the same random woman again at the end. They could have integrated it better into the game, like Sheyna's armour could fall apart as she takes damage or a part of the story where she gets capture and had her armour confiscated... hell I wouldn't mind if Rahaan lose his loincloth neither. Just wish there was a bit more, it does carry an "Adult Content" rating anyway.

Having said that, the game does have some redeeming qualities, the graphics are nice for most parts when it doesn't zoom in and gets all pixelated, alternative routes and secrets bosses does add some replay value, the core fighting mechanics are serviceable and the length of the game is decent.

My verdict is a 4/10, and that is already generous and taken into account it is an indie game and a low budget title, those who want a good hack n slash games, there are lots of betters options out there. Those who dig that ryona stuff or just like seeing a half naked chick die in gruesome ways, there are also plenty of other better games that offer more of that stuff than AoB

Footguy

Potential Patron
This game I can see the potential but I really can't stand the glitchy controls. I have not reached the end boss yet only because of the ledges right before him.

This is on the last level, I can die at the very beginning because of the failing running jump where it either fails to run or it fails to jump so therefore I run off the edge and die. With that I lose a life so I just die again and start again. The real problem lies at the end, I've gone through that entire level and there is that small running jump part again right before the end boss. In the middle I manage to run but for some reason when I tap jump real hard so I know that I did tap it, it doesn't jump at all and Sheyna falls off the edge and then I've lost a life. I have NEVER, EVER made it to the end boss because that has happened every single freaken time.

Suffice to say, I have not completed the game because of the horrid controls. I'm thinking to myself "Why not just have a button that you hold down that triggers run on and off like the shift key?" At least that would solve half of the problems I have. I do not like double tapping a single key for run, the axe traps have gotten me a few times because of that.

Another thing, I restarted for the purposes of rescuing the Maidens. On the second level when you find the Maiden she is getting lowered down a cage and she dies, before that room there is a door which is locked and I have no idea how to get it open. The key is apparently on the same room that the Maiden is where that is an unreachable jump.

So my question is, the second Maiden, how do you rescue her exactly?

Also, I just have to vent in here. I just cannot stand the controls and how Sheyna doesn't jump after running and I lose a life. Heck, I'm lucky if she runs at all. After losing a life right before the end boss and doing that entire level seems like such a waste of time. I just wish they would improve the controls like having a button that you hold down and that triggers run on and off. Jumping then may be a little bit easier.

Rakkar

Potential Patron
Use cheat engine. I got fed up with trying to actually play these types of games long ago when I played Quest of Ki. It's too bad they can't make the games actually playable or they may have actually stood up as real games. Instead if you try to actually play them they are just rage bait.

Footguy

Potential Patron
Use cheat engine. I got fed up with trying to actually play these types of games long ago when I played Quest of Ki. It's too bad they can't make the games actually playable or they may have actually stood up as real games. Instead if you try to actually play them they are just rage bait.

Cheat engine? I don't think I've heard about that. If it involves unlimited lives I'd be happy enough. I'd only have to make that jump once. I'd like to know more about this 'cheat engine.'

Rakkar

Potential Patron
Cheat Engine
Going to have to be pretty good about how coding works or prepare to spend some time learning it
There are guides on youtube and etc and there is a tutorial in the program itself

eyeteeth

Ryonani Teamster
it seems Criansoft is making a new Age of Barbarian game, Age of Barbarian Arena.

it seems to have basically the same gameplay but with an added combo system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.