Age of Barbarian (1 Viewer)

C

coyoteman362001

i have got my download started but it is taking a long time!
If you use a download manager like the one at Free Download Manager - absolutely free download accelerator and manager you can download it much faster. Anyway, I'm stuck on level 2, in the tunnels. There's a gate blocking my path, and I have no idea how to open it. I don't see any levers or anything. If anybody knows how to get past this part, I'd greatly appreciate it. As for ryona I've seen so far, she can definitely get her head lopped off, and there's also a spike trap that can get her. And I know there are more monsters I haven't faced yet, so I'll bet there's more.

fedefyr

Ryonani Teamster
So i decided "why the fuck not?" and bought it...how long before you receive your mail? >_>

vardaeregion

Ryonani Teamster
This game would have needed some more playtesting, seriously.

Or at least the option of infinite lifes. I need to start fiddling with the ini...

Last edited by a moderator:

fedefyr

Ryonani Teamster
this game...god...this fucking game...whatever ryona is in it, aint worth it...dont buy...

vardaeregion

Ryonani Teamster
this game...god...this fucking game...whatever ryona is in it, aint worth it...dont buy...

Gonna have to agree to this statement now. Don't buy until it has either been patched or infinite lifes cheat is in, otherwise, you're in for a world of pain.

C

coyoteman362001

I'm going to offer a dissenting opinion and state that I'm actually growing to enjoy the combat. Blocking an enemy attack (you have to block high for high attacks, low for low attacks) and countering by slicing off the enemy's head is very satisfying to me. With a little practice, you get the hang of it. It's very frustrating right at the beginning because your character is at the lowest level, so she tires out quickly and can't execute her full arsenal of moves. After beating a few enemies, she levels up and things improve a bunch. There are extra lives hidden about and you have to find them. I don't know yet if you can replay levels to hoard lives. If you can, then I don't think this game needs an infinite lives cheat (although I do admit that infinite lives are ideal for ryona fans who want to see the player die over and over). If you can only play levels once, then I'll admit that's a problem.

The reason I can't tell you if it's possible to replay levels is because I'm still stuck at the gate on level 2-2. I don't know if that's a bug in the game or if I just missed something obvious to open the gate. It could very well be the latter, so I'm withholding judgment just a bit on that. If anybody has made it past that gate, please let me know.

eyeteeth

Ryonani Teamster
well i have already found one problem and i just installed it. when you go to change the controls, there is no way i can find to leave the controls page! i try to click okay and nothing happens.

---------- Post added at 04:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:07 AM ----------

okay this is pretty hard. i hope someone makes an extra lives hack. actually i think this game will need to be hacked anyway because right now it has to talk to the criansoft server every time you start the game, and maybe criansoft will not always be around.

Toffi

Content Creator
What I have played so far I really like. It plays similar to the old Prince of Persia.
Difficulty is pretty unforgiving and starting to get frustrating, but I'm not going to give up. It's pretty fun.

Regarding the Ryona I have only seen one or two different death-animations now (arm cut off, beheaded and the normal one). I hope there'll be more.

Toffi

Content Creator
What I have played so far I really like. It plays similar to the old Prince of Persia.
Difficulty is pretty unforgiving and starting to get frustrating, but I'm not going to give up. It's pretty fun.

Regarding the Ryona I have only seen one or two different death-animations now (arm cut off, beheaded and the normal one). I hope there'll be more.

Okay, after now 6 hours with the game the frustration took over. At the moment I have very mixed feelings.
Good:
the setting,
the models,
the gameplay (for the most part. Like I said, it reminds me of old PoP),
branching paths.

Bad:
the difficulty, which includes several points,
unfinished controls in some parts.

Regarding the difficulty there are several points which makes this game very frustrating:
first of all, the enemies' level goes up with yours. In a game like Oblivion I can see why this might be necessary, but in this game it's just stupid. The world is (aside from aforementioned branching paths) completely linear. It would be completely okay to make the enemies' level rise with the stage. In that way, leveling up your character would actually make sense and things a bit easier. But as it is now, it just gets more difficult - if you go to stage 1 after playing stage 3 there won't be any difference... ensuring the enemies will always be a threat on par with you.
Heal items and extra lives are extremely rare and don't drop by chance. Often the outcome of your try to beat the stage is clear before you get to the boss. If you slipped up and fell and lost your only extra live you can reset right there. You don't even get extra lives when you start again, you start with 0. Which gets even worse if you consider how long the stages are. I've played the game for 6 hours now and haven't beaten stage 3 yet.
Next thing are the random instantkills. Even the normal minions can behead you with a lucky hit and instantly kill you even with half of your health left. The optional boss in stage 2 (mountain) is the prime example of this gone wrong. One shot of the laser and your dead. Chance to block? Nope. Chance to evade? Nope. It's all up to your luck.
In addition to that there are several deathtraps which you are sure to run into the first time you see them, because you can't identify them as such (black bar on the wall in a dark environment).
Now... I don't mind unforgiving difficulty. Blankblood had tons of it and I enjoyed it. The difference is the frustration. It's unfair and if you fail you get to play the last 15-30 minutes again. In Blankblood you died and lost some seconds to get your next chance, of which you had infinite. Here you'll want to punch the screen if you lost one of your two or three valuable lives to an unavoidable lucky shot.

And... the controls: For the most part I really like how this game plays, but in some instances it's just laggy and bad. I have lost count of the times my character ran straight into a death-pit even though I pressed up to jump over it. Also: if you want to execute certain moves you have to press both attack-buttons at the same time. 80% of the time it doesn't register your input and just executes a normal attack. Wouldn't be so bad if you didn't need these moves to kill some bosses.

Unless the difficulty gets patched this game is pretty much unplayable.

oh yes, the Ryona: haven't seen anything new besides the normal death-animations... so not worth it.

---------- Post added 12-11-2012 at 05:46 PM ---------- Previous post was 12-09-2012 at 08:16 PM ----------

So, first patch is out. Fixes some problems (difficulty with bosses) albeit not all.

Anybody know where the key in the jungle is and can give me advice? Have been looking for it forever. I ONLY WANT MY TENTACLES! WHERE ARE THE TENTACLES?

vardaeregion

Ryonani Teamster
You need to go through the first treehouse, where you have to fight one lizard-dude. After you exit, you see an extralife on the ground. Further to the left are vines, that you can cut with your sword. Proceed through the swamp killing three crocs and you'll see the key.

Toffi

Content Creator
Thank you, found it.

Just beat the tentacle-monster. And the instant I won, the game crashed. I am eye-twitching mad right now.

Footguy

Potential Patron
What I want to know is how to open the gate on level 2-2. I'm not sure if it is something I missed or if the key is used to open it. How do you open the gate in the cave on level 2-2?

C

coyoteman362001

What I want to know is how to open the gate on level 2-2. I'm not sure if it is something I missed or if the key is used to open it. How do you open the gate in the cave on level 2-2?

That's the same place I'm stuck. Did you people who have already beaten this level never see this gate? Is there an alternate path or something?

Rakkar

Potential Patron
I haven't finished my download yet but I gather from the feedback that the best way to play this game is with cheatengine running in the background

Footguy

Potential Patron
That's the same place I'm stuck. Did you people who have already beaten this level never see this gate? Is there an alternate path or something?

Yeah I've given up playing as I'm not sure if the key you get earlier opens it or if there is something I've missed. I will play it again when someone explains how to open that gate. I don't even know how to even attempt to even go about it. Can't hack it open, don't see any switches and the caves all lead to dead ends. So yeah I'm stumped.

Wow I found out how to open the door!

In the video skip to 10:31 and you'll find out how to open the door.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

coyoteman362001

Thank you, Footguy.

I can tell you what that key is for. Have you noticed that stone door that has those two enemies in front? You can see it at 3:30 of that video you linked. If you look on the right side of that door, there is a red palm print, and if you look closely, there is a keyhole inside it. That's where you use the key.

It eventually leaves to a dragon boss. The dragon just slaughtered me. I went ahead and replayed the level and beat it normally, and I'll return to fight the dragon later. But that's what the key's for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.